Re-fillables

Pete-B

Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice from the more knowledgeable among us!

In a couple of weeks I'm hoping to fit a two bottle re-fillable gas system and I'm just wondering what's the best way of cutting a neat hole to fit the fill point in. I'm hoping to place it next to the gas locker door so the back will exit directly into the locker, at this point it's just single skin ali. I've got a dremel tool but of course this is just freehand and likely to skid of line and I don't want to spend out about £80 for the proper hole cutter.

Would appreciate any help or suggestions

Pete-B - 2013-10-12 4:37 PM

Hi,

In a couple of weeks I'm hoping to fit a two bottle re-fillable gas system and I'm just wondering what's the best way of cutting a neat hole to fit the fill point in. I'm hoping to place it next to the gas locker door so the back will exit directly into the locker, at this point it's just single skin ali. I've got a dremel tool but of course this is just freehand and likely to skid of line and I don't want to spend out about £80 for the proper hole cutter.

I got my cutter off ebay approx £8, if your enywhere near Stoke on Trent I would let you borrow it.

John.

Borrow a 70mm hole cutter, you need an augur to hold it in the drill, which is quite big and won't fit all drills.

I just plucked up the courage to do it, the Ali was quite thick, (Dethleffs) but the job simple once you start.

About £25 for both from B&Q if no one Local can help out.

I'm using one re-fillable and my old Calor light as a reserve. I don't really see the need for two 11K bottles, the extra cost makes the saving marginal.

Holesaw every time, easy quick and perfect fit. Not sure where the £80 came from, this is £20 from B&Q and I would call it expensive usually use a cheapo market shop multi saw one myself about a fiver! You would probably find one in the 'Pound' or '99p' shop that would do the job motorhomes are so lightweight!

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-tool-accessories/drill-bits/holesaws___hole_cutters?fh_secondid=11407726&fh_secondid=11407733

Bas

peterjl - 2013-10-12 9:32 PM

Hi

Why not put it in the gas locker then you don't have to cut a hole. That's what I have done on the last two motorhomes, works a treat.

Peter

I had mine in locker and found it an absolute pain as I had to open locker and then move to pump fill up then move back to close locker. In addition I had read postings about difficulties at fuel stations refusing with filler in locker and decided to fit remote, which has been an excellent move and so much easier to fill, but then everybody to their own.

sshortcircuit - 2013-10-12 9:59 PM

Hi

Why not put it in the gas locker then you don't have to cut a hole. That's what I have done on the last two motorhomes, works a treat.

Peter

I had mine in locker and found it an absolute pain as I had to open locker and then move to pump fill up then move back to close locker.

Hamish, i didn't quite understand the above manoeuvre of yours.........I pull up at the pump, get out, open the locker door, fill up, close the locker door, pay, drive off. What's all this moving to the pump after you've opened the locker?

Also, we haven't had any difficulty with obstructive cashiers at gas stations.....

Hi Hamish

Befor I fitted my first system in 2008 I had also heard about difficulties when opening a locker door however never had a query anywhere and we have filled in diverse places such as Southern Spain to n norway and Greece as well as many countries in between. There may always be a first time of course.

Peter

bolero boy - 2013-10-12 10:48 PM

Hi

Peter

I had mine in locker and found it an absolute pain as I had to open locker and then move to pump fill up then move back to close locker.

Hamish, i didn't quite understand the above manoeuvre of yours.........I pull up at the pump, get out, open the locker door, fill up, close the locker door, pay, drive off. What's all this moving to the pump after you've opened the locker?

Also, we haven't had any difficulty with obstructive cashiers at gas stations.....

It really is quite simple in that the filling station I use the bay is not wide enough to draw up beside pump and open locker hence the manouvere back and forward. I have never had problems refilling with station staff but had read on forums problems others had, so decided to avoid that possibility and as I said it is so much easier to refill

bolero boy - 2013-10-12 10:48 PM

Hi

Peter

Hi,

Ditto

derek

In France they (the attendants) can and do challenge you if they think the installation is not up to standard.

They do not like the fill point inside the locker.

I turn my valve off before filling, to do which I have to open the garage and then the locker doors.

On one occasion the pump was not turned on and I had to go to the kiosk and explain, on the second the attendant came out to have a look see at the filling point (on the outside), then all was well.

I believe there was a fire in France caused by Micky Mouse adaptors being used to fill a Calor cylinder, so they don't like open locker doors.

H

bolero boy - 2013-10-13 10:02 AM

Hamish thanks for the explanation, I would never have guessed that one.

Haven't come across any filling lanes that narrow as most of the LPG pumps I've used have been separate to the other pumps.

I should further explain that this was some time ago when I did not fully understand the filling process and wanted to hold on to the nozzle and press the button at the same time, however even without that mistake the hose may not have reached, however now resolved with external remote.

I have used Morrison's at Leyland and LPG is the first pump on the left hand lane with not much room to left and exactly the same in ASDA Kirkcaldy.

Pete-B - 2013-10-12 4:37 PM

Hi,

I go with the filler point on the outside and not in the gas locker. If you have not done this sort of work before can I suggest that you mask the area with masking tape or even something thicker to avoid accidental damage to the surrounding bodywork when drilling and using a file.

Pete-B Why cut into the outside of your vehicle?

Our Gaslow filler unit is deliberately mounted inside the gas cabinet.

Why?

1. So that it can be relocated easily if we ever sell the MH

2. What the low life cannot see they cannot mess with.

3. Why create another inlet for bad weather

Maybe it isn't physically possible on your vehicle but I would certainly recommend internal fitting if possible.

Ours is easy to use - just need to make sure I leave enough room to open the cabinet door when pulling up at the LPG pump.

In five years of having an internal filler I have never had any interest from petrol station staff let alone an adverse comment. Must be another folk story from the 1990's :-D

We've had a refillable system (Gaslow) since July 2009 and have always had the fill point mounted in the gas locker itself so have always had to open the door to do so, this was on coachbuilt motorhomes and we never ever had anyone refuse to allow us to fill. We now have a PVC and again have the fill point mounted in the gas locker which as to be accessed by opening the rear door, so 'double' door for us now but during a 7 week holiday in France/Germany and 4 weeks holiday in Ireland not once have we had any problems with this, in fact most of the time the attendants did the filling for us!

As an aside it should only be put in a 'stable/strong' part of the MH, ie in the bodywork or on a bracket either in the locker, or under the camper itself. Gas-it make a version which is much smaller than the Gaslow one so you could use this instead and mount it in a suitable location under the camper. I think Gas-it are cheaper for the bottles etc too.

http://www.gasit.co.uk/index.php?_a=category&cat_id=5

Maggyd had the smaller Gas-it fill point put on her van, you can see how small it is in relation to the standard water tank tap:

1725274386_maggyd-gasfillpoint.thumb.jpg.383184220e1bfd89e00cd0cf1449d16e.jpg

hallii - 2013-10-13 10:08 AM

In France they (the attendants) can and do challenge you if they think the installation is not up to standard.

They do not like the fill point inside the locker.

I turn my valve off before filling, to do which I have to open the garage and then the locker doors.

On one occasion the pump was not turned on and I had to go to the kiosk and explain, on the second the attendant came out to have a look see at the filling point (on the outside), then all was well.

I believe there was a fire in France caused by Micky Mouse adaptors being used to fill a Calor cylinder, so they don't like open locker doors.

H

I recall, quite a few years ago, there being a fire at a service-station in France when a motorhome was refilling an LPG bottle. However, this did no relate to a UK-registered vehicle, nor were there suggestions that it was "caused by Micky Mouse adaptors being used to fill a Calor cylinder".

The accident did trigger questions as to whether it was actually permissible in France to refill refillable LPG reservoirs (bottles or tanks) where the gas would be used for 'domestic' purposes (heating, cooking, fridge operation) rather than powering a vehicle's motor, but nothing seems to have come of that suggestion.

Regulations-wise France appears to treat a refillable LPG-bottle installation as if it were an LPG fuelling system in a motor vehicle. This means that (for French-registered motorhomes) a bottle/tank must be 'permanently' attached to the vehicle (ie. with bolts or metal straps) and the filling-point must be attached to the vehicle's bodywork. Those regulations do not necessarily apply to non-French-registered vehicles, but explain why an attendant at a French service-station might dislike a refillable-bottle in a gas-locker being refilled via an on-bottle adapter, or if the filling-point is within the gas-locker itself.

When refillable LPG-bottles began being popular in the UK in the early-2000s, motorcaravanners were occasionally prevented from refilling such bottles by service-station attendants if the gas-locker door needed to be opened to access the filling-point.

Current advice is given here

http://www.gaslow.co.uk/pdf/Filling-Instructions-2012.pdf

Although it's not stated that a filling-point must be outside the gas-locker, siting the filling-point where it's immediately accessible at the refilling stage (as is the case with a bi-fuel car) makes good sense if the objective is to remove all potential argument risks.

Just remembered a couple of points.

When choosing the best place to drill the hole spend time under the MH checking the fitting of the filler.

I found a strengthening piece running along the valence which would have prevented the rear cover fitting, potentially very embarrassing. Choose the right length screws so that they don't protrude into the fitting stopping the gas filler pushing in.

Check the length of your hose, partly so it reaches, which is obvious, but also if it is a long one, that you can secure it at the right angle, without a lot flapping about.

Finally DO NOT use ordinary PTFE tape to seal the joins. This actually creates a porous joint.

Get special high density tape from a plumber's supplier.

Good luck.

In my earlier post my use of "Mickey Mouse" to describe faulty filling lines might have been inadvisable.

However, the fact that faulty equipment has caused fires in France is borne out by the French ARIA website. I think it dates to 2004 but not sure.

I quote from a PDF on there "While fuelling up with LPG, a camper

van explodes when a leak in a hose between the cap and

the tank ignites (ARIA 19010)"

Not much other information, but it does emphasise the importance of correct installation and the use of approved connection equipment.

H

audgreen - 2013-10-14 7:16 PM

You could stop being so tight and have Gaslow come and do it properly like I did. They came to the house plus it makes sure it is safe. You shouldn't fool around with gas

Fitting a Gaslow system is no different than changing a gas bottle, did you manage that?

Archived