ELDDIS AUTOQUEST 2010 ALLOY CORROSION AND WOOD ROT

coombsmk2

pelmetman - 2019-06-09 8:45 AM

jumpstart - 2019-06-08 6:54 PM

Can I whisper something.........we are really pleased with our 2019 Elddis 115.

Pssst......It's only a few months old :D .........

Yea but I’ve just driven 2500 miles around the UK and nothings dropped off and it don’t leak. The bloody roads in Scotland ,boy do they need some patching.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am trying to work out which is worse, the build quality of Motorhomes, of the reply quality of comments on this subject. Whilst everyone is entitled to their opinion when it degrades to negative comments such have been posted on this subject. I think it is time we all stopped and thought before contributing, I have had several Motorhomes of different makes ( the current one a 2012 Elddis Aspire) it has had its share of problems no more or less than previous ones. If I post I have a problem with it I would expect helpful replies, not a slanging match (which this post will probably get) I have replied to other posts if I have something helpfull to say or followed them to see if I can learn from them. All that will happen is people may refrain from posting in light of this.

Weldted,

Actually, I am one of those who seldom post these days!

This is an old thread resurrected, but the facts remain the same -

I have yet to find ANY [and I mean any] Elddis - pre SoLiD that does not have significant rot to timbers around the side skirts or rear panel, or the adjoining floor area. That's in addition to the corrosion of the lower aluminium panels. I've seen this on plenty of dealer sales sites, and still do!

These problems are not exclusive to Elddis, there are many of that era with similar build issues.

I would implore, even plead! to anyone considering an Elddis pre- SoLiD, to thoroughly check the underside and side timbers of any prospective purchase.

Don't assume a clean habitation check gives you the all clear - it seems the underside is seldom inspected as part of the process.

You'll notice that pretty much all UK motorhome manufacturers have developed a new construction technique in recent times - AluTech, Smart, SoLiD because they've needed to - albeit about 30 years too late.....and I see no evidence that they have eradicated all the problems, but clearly they have improved the design in principal.

The prospective purchaser of an older van is probably forking out £15-25k as their first foray into motorhome ownership, potentially buying a really poorly constructed van that was flawed in design and build from the outset, that is slowly rotting away - whilst they are oblivious to it!

Just remind yourself how old the OP's van was when he discovered problems!

Archived