Reversing camera wiring

baden87

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely there are installation instructions provided with that system that cover how it should be wired up?

It seems from the photo of the monitor that this has an On/Off power-supply 'button', and I'd expect the installation instructions to say whether or not the system can be activated automatically by connecting to a reversing-light circuit or to a gearbox-switch.

Before installing the system in your motorhome, I suggest you experiment by wiring it up to a 12V power source according to the installation instructions and see what it does. Once you have established what the system has been designed to do, if that fails to satisfy your requirements, you'll then be in a position to decide what modifications will be practicable. I'm sure it's possible to have some sort of work-around, but if you are contemplating hacking into the system's standard cabling to get what you want, then I wish you well...

Your comment that "They only provide instructions for wiring up to reverse light connection.." could be read as meaning that the system takes its 12V power from the reversing light, or that it can take its 12V power-supply from another source and that the system's operation is triggered automatically when the reversing light comes on. But either way it would APPEAR to be a simple enough matter to introduce a separate switch into the system (as AliB advised earlier) that should allow 'automatic' or 'on demand' operation.

There are potential problems obtaining continuous operation with wireless rear-view camera systems, but (as I understand it) your system is the wired type where 12V power is supplied to the monitor and the camera takes its 12V power via a cable from the monitor.

In principle it should be straightforward to obtain on-demand or automatic operation for this type of system, but, as you seem to be having so much trouble with doing this, it seems that there's either something unusual about this system or you want to approach the exercise in an unusual manner.

Unfortunately, as you have the system and the manufacturer's documentation for it, but forum-members do not and are having to rely on experience and a crystal-ball, it's hard to see how you are going to get better advice than has already been given.

baden87 - 2014-06-27 11:24 AM

I'm pretty sure it does automatic switching with the reverse wire ?

i need to be able to switch it on other than when reverse is selected

Terminology, here may be a little confusing. Your system has a trigger wire that will switch the displayed input between channel 1 and channel 2.

It will not map ch2 onto ch1 when the trigger wire is deactivated.

I am 100% sure (bold statement) that your system does not have the ability to map one video input onto either of the 2 channels. My reasons are that there is usually a Power Out feed from the monitor which is wired to the reversing camera power input. Also if the mapping facility was available it would be fairly obvious by pressing the On/Off and channel selector buttons, so you would not be asking the question. (See Derek's post regarding the ON/Off button)

Some systems have an external switching box, as on my Swift there is switching junction box behind the passenger glove box.

For £39 I would not expect to get these functions.

All you need to do is mimic the power out cable on the more expensive systems. Connect a switch between C and D.

Don't be so rude I'm only trying to make sure it's correct because if yo bother to read the posts I have had various answers I'm trying to find out which is the right one so in a nutshell my learned friend it's not a wind up

Hope this won't confuse further, but it looks to me as though monitor power will be permanently "on" via the red/black wires, with the monitor switched via what looks like its own on/off switch. I'm assuming the camera (possibly only the camera image) is then activated via the blue trigger wire.

Is it not preferable for the red wire to be connected to an ignition switched source, to prevent possible battery drain when the engine is not running? As the monitor has its own (presumed) on/off switch, this could then be left permanently "on", so that the system automatically comes live as soon as the engine is started, and goes off when the engine is stopped. So, no switches to play with.

I don't understand the camera and monitor video connectors, which seem to me to be dissimilar types, but perhaps the extension cables resolve that?

This just leaves the blue reverse trigger wire. If you want the facility to have the camera running while driving forward, why not just connect that cable to the same ignition switched source as the monitor? The monitor will then "think" reverse is permanently engaged, and show the rear view image full time, whether or not reverse is selected. That would, it seems to me, eliminate all need for manual switching. Would this not be simpler in practise, and easier to wire up?

The camera will be fairly wide angle to give a useful reversing image, so will be liable to give a somewhat cut-off rear view, and will also distort distance (like a convex mirror), but with this set-up that seems unavoidable.

Guest pelmetman
lennyhb - 2014-06-25 8:08 PM

BKen1 - 2014-06-25 4:06 PM

Why make it so complicated ,I have the monitor plugged into the cig lighter on the dash via a dual socket (the other being for the Sat Nav).just use the monitors on/off button when required and the camera power is wired directly off the rear lights via a inline fuse.Just need to turn the side lights on as and when required to see whats going on behind.

Brian

Sorry Brian some of us don't like leads hanging out all over the dash. I fitted a double din stereo with satnav and my cameras feed into that. I've just ordered a 12v to USB power supply so I can permanently wire my dash cam to avoid plugging into the cigar socket.

Me too :D...................When I fitted my dual view camera, I did all the donkey work running the wires fitting the camera etc, then called in a local auto wiggly man to plumb it in ;-).................20 quid from memory :-S...

Mine is permanently on so acts as a rear view camera to B-)..............at night its a bit bright so I just turn off the monitor :->.......

Brian Kirby - 2014-07-03 7:39 PM

But, only if it is feasible! I don't know the technicalities of these items, I have merely fitted three (not the same as yours) using the instructions. Wait to see if someone says I'm talking codswallop before you charge in! :-)

OPTION ONE - Connecting Cables C and D to the same 12V power-source (as you suggest) would cause the system to become operative whenever that 12V power-source becomes live (and the monitor is switched on, of course). It's how my own rear-view system is wired up and will provide a continuous rear-view while the motorhome is being driven.

Assuming that this power-source is ignition-controlled (which makes sense), leaving the monitor's On/Off switch permanently ON will cause the monitor system to become operative whenever the vehicle's ignition is turned on. However, it's commonplace when a vehicle's engine is started for supplementary ignition-controlled 12V power-sources to be temporarily disabled during the starting phase. This means that the monitor would come on as the ignition is switched on, then go off as the engine is started, then come on again after starting has taken place. To avoid this rapid On/Off/On sequence I try to remember to switch my monitor off when I no longer need it and to switch it on only after I have started the motorhome's engine. But I quite often forget to switch the monitor off and it doesn't seem to have harmed my now-8-years-old Waeco system. Whether an inexpensive system would be equally resistant to rapid On/Off cycling is anybody's guess.

OPTION TWO - Connecting the cables as described in the system's instructions and then fitting a switch between Cables C and D (as Keith and AliB both advised early on in this thread) would allow 'automatic' operation (ie. only when the reversing-light illuminates) or 'on demand' operation (when the switch is used to link Cables C and D together). I think this was what baden87 was seeking to achieve, though (as you point out) it adds a switch but appears to offer no clear-cut advantage over OPTION ONE.

(I note that this system's monitor-to-camera cable is 10 metres in length. This should be plenty long enough for a car, but may be insufficient for a motorhome where common installation practice is to lead the cable from front to rear beneath the floor.)

pelmetman - 2014-07-03 7:43 PM

..............at night its a bit bright so I just turn off the monitor :->.......

You could turn down the brightness, Press the MENU button on your monitor or use the little hand-held remote control supplied with the monitor. Or wear sunglasses but don't turn it off after all that hard work fitting it!

Derek Uzzell - 2014-07-04 8:18 AM

... Connecting the cables as described in the system's instructions and then fitting a switch between Cables C and D...

Unfortunately you cannot simply connect a switch between the ignition live feed © and reverse signal wire (D) as when you turn the switch 'On' not only will you turn on the camera but you will also feed power back through wire D to the reverse lights!

You have to use a SPDT switch to change over power from C to D without connecting them together. This is what I detailed in my earlier post. I did not say connect a switch between wires C and D!

AT the end of the day Baden87, if you are unsure what you are doing then please, please, find someone who is to wire this up for you.

Keith.

Keithl - 2014-07-04 10:25 AM

Unfortunately you cannot simply connect a switch between the ignition live feed © and reverse signal wire (D) as when you turn the switch 'On' not only will you turn on the camera but you will also feed power back through wire D to the reverse lights!

You have to use a SPDT switch to change over power from C to D without connecting them together. This is what I detailed in my earlier post. I did not say connect a switch between wires C and D.

Keith.

You're right Keith, I had not considered the reverse light turning on.

baden87 - 2014-07-03 3:38 PM

Don't be so rude I'm only trying to make sure it's correct because if yo bother to read the posts I have had various answers I'm trying to find out which is the right one so in a nutshell my learned friend it's not a wind up

Not a wind then ....let google be your "learned" friend......do you have electrical knowledge if so have a look here.

watch to the end there is a better wiring diagram.

Brian K

Keithl - 2014-07-04 10:25 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2014-07-04 8:18 AM

... Connecting the cables as described in the system's instructions and then fitting a switch between Cables C and D...

You have to use a SPDT switch to change over power from C to D without connecting them together. This is what I detailed in my earlier post. I did not say connect a switch between wires C and D!

AT the end of the day Baden87, if you are unsure what you are doing then please, please, find someone who is to wire this up for you.

Keith.

Plainly the correct sort of switch would be needed. As you had made this clear earlier (and drawing a basic diagram of the necessary wiring should make it obvious what type of switch would be required) I felt no need to be more specific.

Hi Derek,

Sorry, it wasn't meant as a 'dig' at you. I just thought the point needed raising that you couldn't simply put a straightforward "on/off" switch between the 2 wires, and the consequences of so doing, in case anyone else read this thread at a later date and missed the earlier comments on switch type.

Baden87, I'm glad you're now sorted with your wiring and please let us know how it works out when you've road tested it for a while.

Keith.

Hi, this is the Monitor I fitted in my vans set-up, Both AV's are on all the time that the ignition is switched on (Fused power from cigarette lighter wiring) the Reverse Trigger wire connected into this source also .....this means that, ignition on, enables BOTH AV views, this monitor has it's own ON/OFF switch plus you can switch between AV's (AV = signal source). It's Cheap and cheerful, but so far has performed very well, and if it breaks, a new one is available from E-Bay, no hassle. :

Link

My 2 pennyworth.

Ray

Ray

Your monitor is almost certainly the same as that used in baden87's system, though yours is paired with a twin-lens camera while his camera is single-lens.

His wish was to be able to switch the system between being on continuously and only coming on when reverse-gear is selected. This objective can be met by adding a SPDT switch (as Keith mentioned earlier) though it's questionable, in my view, that this is actually needed if the system is wired so that it can be on continuously.

• 3 months later...
Hi, I'm a newcomer to the forum. I wish to modify the circuit of the 13ELE2000 reverse camera feed, as fitted to the 2014 Auto-Trail Savannah, from 'view only in reverse' to 'view permanently' to keep an eye on the bikes. I understand the electronics two way switching but (a) how do I get the Radio/TV/GPS unit out to access the wiring and (b) is the camera power routed from the radio end or the reverse lights cable at the rear? as I wish to retain the original camera. Thanks.

Bengie - 2014-10-22 10:48 PM

Hi, I'm a newcomer to the forum. I wish to modify the circuit of the 13ELE2000 reverse camera feed, as fitted to the 2014 Auto-Trail Savannah, from 'view only in reverse' to 'view permanently' to keep an eye on the bikes. I understand the electronics two way switching but (a) how do I get the Radio/TV/GPS unit out to access the wiring and (b) is the camera power routed from the radio end or the reverse lights cable at the rear? as I wish to retain the original camera. Thanks.

radio end, via a relay which is activated by a switch on reverse gear.

I also answered on your other post. Ray

Archived