Engine starters

pheasantplucker

I recently parked overnight and left my lights on. In the morning, the inevitable clonk from the starter with 11/2 hours to catch the ferry was all I could get. Called the breakdown service but was assisted by a kind fellow motorhomer with jump leads, which I now carry.

At the time it didn't occur to me, but I have one of those power socket to power socket chargers. Never used it, but from memory just connect unit to the power sockets of the vehicle with a flat battery to the donor vehicle for 10 minutes. I don't remember if the donor engine needs to be over 1500rpm, which would put my idea way out, but could I have connected the leisure battery via an internal 12v socket to the van power socket and got myself started do you think?

Regards,

Ian.

If you can connect the two batteries with jump leads this would be best option, on our old van I fitted a lead with isolater between the two batteries, in normal usage the batteries where kept isolated, but could be connected to allow emergency jump starting or charging of vehicle battery by the solar panel.

I have always carried jump leads but luckily enough have never needed them to start my own van.

I have however used them several times to get others going including one German guy from his own leisure battery which we disconnected from the leisure circuits first just in case.

With the engine battery in the cab underfloor it is now even easier than before on Sevel vans!

pheasantplucker - 2014-11-24 9:24 PM

... but could I have connected the leisure battery via an internal 12v socket to the van power socket and got myself started do you think?

Regards,

Ian.

In a word most probably not!

These devices only use very thin wire and rely on the raised voltage from the running car to partially charge the flat battery and NOT on the current to actually start the engine. Think of it as a poor quality battery charger and nothing more. Simply connecting your 2 batteries together will not add sufficient charge to your engine battery to be of any use, you have to use a car with the engine running, but even then I wouldn't waste my money on one.

I am fairly certain that if you read the instructions you will find you have to disconnect them before making any attempt to start your engine.

You could jump start yourself as Tracker has suggested with proper jump leads if you have long enough leads or removed your leisure battery and moved it nearer.

Keith.

Archived