Dash Cam pays for itself many times over.

Guest Had Enough

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Peter James - 2015-02-07 8:30 AM

I've got one of these for £9.59 that works OK: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111468833143?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

What must those crooks in the camera shops be making out of them ;-)

Once you've set them up do they keep going indefinitely, re-recording over old stuff, or do you need to remember to fiddle sbout with them every time you set off?

StuartO - 2015-02-07 11:27 AM

I've got one of these for £9.59 that works OK: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111468833143?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Once you've set them up do they keep going indefinitely, re-recording over old stuff, or do you need to remember to fiddle sbout with them every time you set off?

The one I've got just carries on recording over the top but can be re-formatted / erased at any time.

Amount of recording time depends on size of disc used.

Mine records in short segments ( approx 1 minute ) so can be downloaded onto a p.c. and edited - so you can keep any sequences as required.

Guest Had Enough

This thread epitomises the 'penny wise and pound foolish' attitude I'm afraid. How anyone can think that you can buy a decent dashcam for under a tenner is beyond me. One member has already demonstrated that he's going to lose hundreds of pounds because he didn't have a decent camera.

My Blackvue is superb. It's HD with full GPS facility, is the size of a packet of polo mints and slots neatly into a clip-in holder which I mount in the centre of the windscreen of my car and MH (it comes with two mounts). I also paid a local auto electrician £25 per vehicle to wire it in, so I've no trailing leads going to a 12v cigarette lighter socket and it has no large screen blocking your view and distracting you. It switches on with my ignition and off when I stop.

It doesn't need a large screen or special mounting because it is very wide angle and anyone who knows about lenses will tell you that constructing a wide-angle lens is more complex and expensive.

Mounted in the centre it would have recorded the accident mentioned above without any problem and would have clearly shown the registration number of the other vehicle.

So who is better off, me who has spent £250 but saved £1200 or someone who spends a tenner and loses £450?

You can buy a car for £6k or you can buy a car for £100K and the difference is obvious, dashcams, cameras, computers are no different, spend pennies, get junk, spend more, get quality, and when quality matters is when you have an accident that's not your fault and could cost you a lot of money, as I've proved.

I bought mine here http://goo.gl/yuXhZw I've dealt happily with this firm for ten years as they have an associate company that sells speed camera locators and I've bought three from them over those years. Despite some of the nasty innuendo on here my firm does not sell dash-cams, only waterproof action cameras which are a totally different beast.

I also have the app for my smartphone, but only as a backup. Again, smart phones are not wide-angle enough and another big problem is how much memory you have on your SD card as high-quality recording is data heavy. They're a poor compromise and using it as a cameras means that it's tied up doing that, so you can forget the other functions that your phone may have, such as sat-nav, or music playing or even making phone calls, it all gets very messy.

I posted this simply to bring home the advantages of having a dashcam and I'm sorry that the thread has, once more, been hijacked by the usual suspects. You may be the safest driver in the world but can still be involved in an accident and a dashcam may well save you a lot of money and aggravation, it certainly did for me.

Guest Had Enough

As has been said, recording is a continuous loop, mine lasts four hours. I carry a spare micro-sd card when on holiday so if I need to preserve a recording whilst on the go, I replace the card.

Most do, as has also been said, record in one-minute segments with only a second or two between each segment. This is essential for easy transmission.

When I had my accident I downloaded the SD card to the PC application, where it can be seen on a big screen and I then copied the clip concerned.

My accident was covered by one segment but, such is the HD quality, the file size was 50 MB, too big to email, so I had to send it to the other party's insurer using a files sharing programme.

Blackvue, my brand, has a smartphone app, so you can put the card in your phone and show the recording immediately, which can be enough to convince the other driver or the police that you're not at fault.

Just as sat-nav is now standard in most cars, I believe that cameras will be a standard fitting in a few years and insurers will insist on them or give discounts if you have one.

The other party's insurer summed it up when he said: "Thank you for the video, this has removed any of the 'he said, she said' dilemma that we normally face." The insurer then told his client that he hadn't got a leg to stand on and that he'd better pay up, which he has!

Guest Peter James
malc d - 2015-02-07 9:57 AM

I think you're right.

These cameras range from quite cheap to quite expensive and the difference will be the quality of the picture.

Yes I've found that too. But you have to pay a lot more for this years model with slightly higher resolution, than for last years model that is very nearly as good. I guess thats why Camera Salesmen are so keen to upsell the latest much more expensive one ;-)

Guest Peter James

You can set it to do either

Guest Peter James
artheytrate - 2015-02-07 10:11 AM

Hi Peter, I think the problem was that I was driving right hand vehicle with camera on drivers side, in future when abroad I will mount passenger side.

John.

Ah so THE CAMERA WAS POINTING THE WRONG WAY.

I wonder how we can explain that more simply so Frank understands.

Looking at his last posts he seems convinced its because the camera wasn't expensive enough *-)

Guest Peter James
Had Enough - 2015-02-07 11:48 AM

You can buy a car for £6k or you can buy a car for £100K

I find the difference between having a car and not having one can be very great.

In comparison, the advantage between a £6k and £100k car is very small, if any.

Where I go a £100k car would be a social liability, because friends would understandably wonder why it wouldn't give me more pleasure to buy the £6k car, and give the £94k to the foodbank.

Peter James - 2015-02-07 2:28 PM

But you have to pay a lot more for this years model with slightly higher resolution, than for last years model that is very nearly as good. I guess thats why Camera Salesmen are so keen to upsell the latest much more expensive one ;-)

No surprise there - That's a salesmans job.

It applies to cameras, cars, bikes, phones - and most technology you can think of.

:-|

Had Enough - 2015-02-07 11:58 AM

Most do, as has also been said, record in one-minute segments with only a second or two between each segment. This is essential for easy transmission.

Do the 1 or 2 seconds between segments effect the finished recording i.e. is there a possibility of missing a vital link.

Will

Will85 - 2015-02-07 2:57 PM

Had Enough - 2015-02-07 11:58 AM

Do the 1 or 2 seconds between segments effect the finished recording i.e. is there a possibility of missing a vital link.

Will

Never really very noticeable on mine.

Peter James - 2015-02-07 2:36 PM

artheytrate - 2015-02-07 10:11 AM

Hi Peter, I think the problem was that I was driving right hand vehicle with camera on drivers side, in future when abroad I will mount passenger side.

John.

Looking at his last posts he seems convinced its because the camera wasn't expensive enough *-)

Nothing to do with expense I paid a lot more than your £9-99p, I paid £13-99.

Joking apart I'm going to use this one in our car, and I've bought a decent new one for motor home for my travels back to Spain in May.

In my original post I said that the camera was placed wrong on the windscreen.

John.

Peter James - 2015-02-07 2:36 PM

But for balance, HE was also quoting your link to your 9.59 ebay camera, which you freely admit, more often than not isn't clear enough to pick up reg' numbers or even whether you are, quote " a bit over the white line".. :-S

(and I also doubt that your continued digs: "crooks in camera shops" etc, helped smooth things along either....) ;-)

Guest Had Enough

How can I explain this to people who aren't very bright? If you get a decent camera with a quality wide-angle lens you don't need to worry about fixing it on the right or left depending on which country you're in. You can mount it centrally and forget about it.

There, that wasn't difficult was it? And with a quality camera you can read the number plates, a fairly important feature I would have thought? Pay peanuts, get rubbish.

You'd be far better giving your tenner to a food bank so that the lazy and feckless who've squandered their money on satellite TV, beer and fags, can get a decent meal.

Are they a substitute for rear view side mirrors so that you can see and avoid driving over things with your rear wheels.............................especially in a tight roadworks scenario (!) Ooops

Guest Had Enough
Joe90 - 2015-02-07 3:58 PM

Are they a substitute for rear view side mirrors so that you can see and avoid driving over things with your rear wheels.............................especially in a tight roadworks scenario (!) Ooops

You just can't help yourself can you? Why do you feel the need to continually make these snide little attacks? I suppose being a nasty little gobsh*te doesn't help.

Yet another sensible thread hijacked by the Chatterbox Morons' Club. Oh dear!

Had Enough - 2015-02-07 4:09 PM

You just can't help yourself can you? Why do you feel the need to continually make these snide little attacks? I suppose being a nasty little gobsh*te doesn't help.

"How can I explain this to people who aren't very bright? " ;-)

Oh sorry I'm pinching your words. ;-)

it was just a bit of banter, get over it.

Not to sure this is a 'snide' remark Frank. Seems a pretty sensible observation to me to look where you are going and avoid the accident in the first place. Personally I would far rather pay attention to my driving than worry about having a good camera to collect evidence of my accidents.. I am aware an accident may be none of your doing but from your description this one seemed to be all your own work.

Guest Had Enough
Joe90 - 2015-02-07 4:16 PM

"How can I explain this to people who aren't very bright? " is just a bit of banter, get over it. ;-)

Perhaps you didn't see the nasty little thread to which I was responding? But it would have made no difference. You're a vile, vindictive and semi-literate troll who isn't happy unless he's stirring things.

This was supposed to be a sensible and helpful discussion but as usual the morons who've ruined Chatterbox climbed out of the swamp to infect yet another thread.

Some people get intelligent stalkers. Just my luck to get four people with the IQ of a goldfish.

I'm out of this thread now, it's pointless carrying on with you lot determined to ruin it because of your petty little obsessions.

Another Chatterbox thread gone south.

Mods, please note.

Guest Peter James
StuartO - 2015-02-07 3:20 PM

At about £15 per camera, including a 32Gb memery card, I 've just bought one for each car with the intention of running them continuously looking forwards.

You may find it incompatable with the very cheap memory cards. I got a 32gb card for £4.50 off ebay, that works in some PCs but not others or in the camera. So I got an 8gb from Sainsburys - everything works a treat with that.

Guest Had Enough
rupert123 - 2015-02-07 4:21 PM

Not to sure this is a 'snide' remark Frank. Seems a pretty sensible observation to me to look where you are going and avoid the accident in the first place. Personally I would far rather pay attention to my driving than worry about having a good camera to collect evidence of my accidents.. I am aware an accident may be none of your doing but from your description this one seemed to be all your own work.

Did you not read the original post? The cone was on the opposite side to me. I asked for it to be moved as I was bothered that it may be too close. A workman assured me that there was plenty of room and told me to proceed through the gap. My mistake was taking him at his word. Unfortunately he was wrong not me and I nicked the edge of the cone.

But what has this got to do with it anyway? I posted to tell members how useful it had been to have a dashcam and how it had more than paid for itself. Why would anyone want to attack me about what happened, unless of course they're vindictive trolls who just enjoy causing trouble.

And I would remind you that an insurance company, having seen the video, decided I was blameless.

Goodbye.

Had Enough - 2015-02-07 4:24 PM

Joe90 - 2015-02-07 4:16 PM

"How can I explain this to people who aren't very bright? " is just a bit of banter, get over it. ;-)

Perhaps you didn't see the nasty little thread to which I was responding? But it would have made no difference. You're a vile, vindictive and semi-literate troll who isn't happy unless he's stirring things.

This was supposed to be a sensible and helpful discussion but as usual the morons who've ruined Chatterbox climbed out of the swamp to infect yet another thread.

Some people get intelligent stalkers. Just my luck to get four people with the IQ of a goldfish.

I'm out of this thread now, it's pointless carrying on with you lot determined to ruin it because of your petty little obsessions.

Another Chatterbox thread gone south.

Mods, please note.

To be perfectly honest from the very top post you made I was struggling to see how anyone given the sight of a discarded roadworks cone could accept the advice to proceed and end up with it wrapped around their rear wheel arch, but there you go. ;-) Perhaps side and rear view mounted cameras are the way to go for you.

Mods please note.

Archived