Dash Cam pays for itself many times over.

Guest Had Enough

Guest Peter James
Had Enough - 2015-02-07 3:50 PM

How can I explain this to people who aren't very bright? If you get a decent camera with a quality wide-angle lens you don't need to worry about fixing it on the right or left depending on which country you're in. You can mount it centrally and forget about it.

........(waffle removed)....

You'd be far better giving your tenner to a food bank so that the lazy and feckless who've squandered their money on satellite TV, beer and fags, can get a decent meal.

This £9.59 camera still has a decent field of view. You haven't seen it, but consider yourself an expert on it. Just like you haven't been to a foodbank but consider yourself an expert on them too *-)

Had Enough - 2015-02-07 3:50 PM And with a quality camera you can read the number plates,

Wrong again. With an expensive camera you MAY be able to read number plates. With this £9.59 camera you may be able to read number plates too.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Peter James
Joe90 - 2015-02-07 4:32 PM

To be perfectly honest from the very top post you made I was struggling to see how anyone given the sight of a discarded roadworks cone could accept the advice to proceed and end up with it wrapped around their rear wheel arch, but there you go. .

Perhaps the cone jumped out and hit him like the tree jumped out and hit the back of his last van ;-)

Peter James - 2015-02-07 4:47 PM

Joe90 - 2015-02-07 4:32 PM

To be perfectly honest from the very top post you made I was struggling to see how anyone given the sight of a discarded roadworks cone could accept the advice to proceed and end up with it wrapped around their rear wheel arch, but there you go. .

Perhaps the cone jumped out and hit him like the tree jumped out and hit the back of his last van ;-)

(lol) (lol) (lol)

John.

I bought a Hong Kong cam off fleabay. One of these; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-1080P-GS1000-CAR-DVR-Camera-Video-Recorder-Dash-Cam-G-sensor-HDMI-5-Mega-CMOS-/271584647551?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f3bb4d97f

Image quality is fine.......but that's all.

The instructions are in the tiniest print i've ever seen and needed a magnifying glass to read them.

Described as taking "up to 32gb SD card" is totally incorrect. They take Micro SD and mine would only work with a 16gb capacity. Since reading posts on other DashCam forums i've found this is a common misleading description and few cheap Cams, if any, will take anything higher than 16gb.

Setting the day/date/time was frustratingly time consuming but to make matters worse, once set, the minute you unplug the damn thing, it loses the setting so you have to go through the whole rigmarole again!

The screen sucker mount is the best part of the kit as that DOES stay on the screen! However the design is so poorly thought out that the on/off button is directly under the knurled knob (to the right in photo) so each time you want to switch the cam on or off, you have to move the cam!

This guy here does a number of Dashcam reviews on YouTube and presents each one very well; https://www.youtube.com/user/Techmoan

I've been looking at the Mio Mivue range. Not cheap, but i've seen the results which are excellent and at least they do take high capacity cards! http://www.avrmobiles.co.uk/acatalog/mio-mivue-538-in-car-dash-cam.html?gclid=CIGF-O-5nMICFefMtAodaFQATg

I have the camera you refer to below but the Rollei version and I paid a similar price. I had already read about the cards so bought a 16 GB one. I agree the print is small but I did manage to download the instructions fro the web rather than using a magnifying glass (yes the font is so tiny !). Once you have played around with it and mastered the menus I find it a great little dashcam. It records in 10 minute segments (this is variable and you can set this up in the menu) and operates continuously. Picture quality is very good for the cost as is the low light capture.

I have left mine charged for about 3 weeks now without using it and checked it recently and still shows a full battery and mine hasn't lost its time / date. On the whole a good little camera at that price especially if you just want to dip your toe in the water, so to speak.

Alan.

Bulletguy - 2015-02-07 8:17 PM

I bought a Hong Kong cam off fleabay. One of these; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-1080P-GS1000-CAR-DVR-Camera-Video-Recorder-Dash-Cam-G-sensor-HDMI-5-Mega-CMOS-/271584647551?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f3bb4d97f

Image quality is fine.......but that's all.

The instructions are in the tiniest print i've ever seen and needed a magnifying glass to read them.

Described as taking "up to 32gb SD card" is totally incorrect. They take Micro SD and mine would only work with a 16gb capacity. Since reading posts on other DashCam forums i've found this is a common misleading description and few cheap Cams, if any, will take anything higher than 16gb.

Setting the day/date/time was frustratingly time consuming but to make matters worse, once set, the minute you unplug the damn thing, it loses the setting so you have to go through the whole rigmarole again!

The screen sucker mount is the best part of the kit as that DOES stay on the screen! However the design is so poorly thought out that the on/off button is directly under the knurled knob (to the right in photo) so each time you want to switch the cam on or off, you have to move the cam!

This guy here does a number of Dashcam reviews on YouTube and presents each one very well; https://www.youtube.com/user/Techmoan

I've been looking at the Mio Mivue range. Not cheap, but i've seen the results which are excellent and at least they do take high capacity cards! http://www.avrmobiles.co.uk/acatalog/mio-mivue-538-in-car-dash-cam.html?gclid=CIGF-O-5nMICFefMtAodaFQATg

AlanS - 2015-02-07 8:42 PM

I have the camera you refer to below but the Rollei version and I paid a similar price. I had already read about the cards so bought a 16 GB one. I agree the print is small but I did manage to download the instructions fro the web rather than using a magnifying glass (yes the font is so tiny !). Once you have played around with it and mastered the menus I find it a great little dashcam. It records in 10 minute segments (this is variable and you can set this up in the menu) and operates continuously. Picture quality is very good for the cost as is the low light capture.

I have left mine charged for about 3 weeks now without using it and checked it recently and still shows a full battery and mine hasn't lost its time / date. On the whole a good little camera at that price especially if you just want to dip your toe in the water, so to speak.

Alan.

BIB......mine doesn't. It pretty much has a mind of it's own. Some segments i get at 10 mins then others will be just seconds.

That it was described in the features as "up to 32gb" when in truth it only takes 16gb was disappointing to say the least and needless to say, if a UK supplier instead of HK you would have every reason to demand full refund.

When you say you "left mine charged for about 3 weeks......and still shows a full battery and mine hasn't lost its time / date." Do you mean you left it connected to your 12v supply?

When i stated it loses the day/date info i meant when it was unplugged from 12v. I cannot run mine without it being connected at all.

Do halfords wire these cameras in, are they pinchable? Like tomtoms if you leave them on show , or are they not worth anything to a thief , i fancy getting one fitted but couldnt be bothered with setting it up everytime i go out in van cheers pp:)

I would have thought it is possible to hard wired they but yes it would advertise it to a thief.

After reading this thread I just ordered one of these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080P-CAR-DVR-Vehicle-Video-Camera-Recorder-Dash-Cam-G-sensor-GS8000L-HDMI-Cable-/301042725960?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item46178b7448

Cheap and cheerful, I will give it a go.

I did buy one last year, but I hard wired it and chopped of the resistor, that changed 12v to 5v. It melted.

From what I remember camera angle was wide and picture clear.

derek pringle - 2015-02-08 9:07 AM

Hi,

Just received an e mail from 'Easylife' who are loffering what looks like a decent one of these cameras knocked down from £49.99 to £29.99, I am nothing to do with this company, just thinking of getting one thats all

cheers

derek

Which looks exactly the same as this for £11.49 delivered Derek 8-)

Must be a quality bit of kit at that price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-HD-Car-Vehicle-Dash-Dashboard-Camera-IR-DVR-Cam-CCTV-Night-Vision-SmartCam-/221409450010?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item338d08181a

Had Enough - 2015-02-07 4:29 PM

rupert123 - 2015-02-07 4:21 PM

Had Enough - 2015-02-07 4:09 PM

Joe90 - 2015-02-07 3:58 PM

Are they a substitute for rear view side mirrors so that you can see and avoid driving over things with your rear wheels.............................especially in a tight roadworks scenario (!) Ooops

You just can't help yourself can you? Why do you feel the need to continually make these snide little attacks? I suppose being a nasty little gobsh*te doesn't help.

Yet another sensible thread hijacked by the Chatterbox Morons' Club. Oh dear!

Not to sure this is a 'snide' remark Frank. Seems a pretty sensible observation to me to look where you are going and avoid the accident in the first place. Personally I would far rather pay attention to my driving than worry about having a good camera to collect evidence of my accidents.. I am aware an accident may be none of your doing but from your description this one seemed to be all your own work.

Did you not read the original post? The cone was on the opposite side to me. I asked for it to be moved as I was bothered that it may be too close. A workman assured me that there was plenty of room and told me to proceed through the gap. My mistake was taking him at his word. Unfortunately he was wrong not me and I nicked the edge of the cone.

But what has this got to do with it anyway? I posted to tell members how useful it had been to have a dashcam and how it had more than paid for itself. Why would anyone want to attack me about what happened, unless of course they're vindictive trolls who just enjoy causing trouble.

And I would remind you that an insurance company, having seen the video, decided I was blameless.

Goodbye.

Yes I did read it Frank and the workman did not assure you it was alright. In your words 'he waved his arms about'. Now I would probably have done the same as you and moved on but I would have looked in my mirrors as well just to check. Now I do agree with a lot of what you say on here but you are far to sensitive and to easy to wind up. This is picked up on and people know you will react in a pretty abusive way, it happens, stop reacting in the way you do and they will go away. Try a normal reasoned argument, cut out the abuse. I have read the so called attacks on you and they come across as pretty gentle 'leg pulls' without real abuse.

Guest Had Enough

I messed up the quote but this is for Rupert above.

I did say that I will no longer respond to the trolls in this thread but this deserves a reply. I did not say that the workman just 'waved his arms about', that is a complete fabrication, I said that he waved me through after he'd extended his arms to the side in the universal sign to say that there was lots of room. If he hadn't been there I would have asked my wife to get out and remove the cone and then watch me through the very narrow gap. But when you're faced with a workman who assures you that you are OK most people, as you admit, would have proceeded. And having seen the video of the workman's actions the insurers didn't argue!

'This is what I wrote:

'He shrugged his shoulders and waved me through after he'd spread his arms out wide in the universal gesture that signifies: "Come on mate, you can get a bus through sideways." '

But all this is irrelevant. My driving or the accident isn't the subject. The subject is the fact that having a dash cam can be a valuable aid should you ever have an accident and someone posting to try to inform and perhaps persuade others that it's a good idea (which has happened) should not be pilloried by these people just for the sake of trying to attack someone they don't like.

But for the other part about the 'gentle leg pulls is nonsense I'm afraid. This was an innocuous thread about the advantages of a dashcam but, as has happened before two people initially, Pelmetman and Anthony1969 could not resist entering it for one reason alone, to have a go at me. And if you knew the history you would know that their insinuations were absolutely vile.

It becomes wearing. These two ruin so many threads with their childish and often nasty interventions and this one is a perfect example. Anthony1969 seems obsessed with me. He brings me into threads in Chatterbox , here and even on another forum. I go out of my way to ignore him, I never make snide attacks on him and never mention him unless I'm responding to one of his regular attacks but still he goes on, and on and on.

And you'll notice that at first I tried to ignore them but they didn't go away! They still carried on with the poking. Even Tracker can see what's going on here and it's odd that you can't. And if I was abusive it was only after I'd had enough of them and when the other two regular stirrers Joe90 and Pater James decided to join the trollers' chorus.

These people are a pox on this forum. Judgemental left and Anthony1969 was one of the reasons. He'd taken a dislike to Judge and did the same with him, entering threads on electric bikes for instance just to sneer and stir. Dave Newell told Pelmetman that if he carried on with his gassing nonsense that he would leave. So what does Pelmetman do? He gloats about taking it to the seventh page, which is what Dave Newell said was the limit and after that he'd go.

Anthon1969's entire input into Motorhome Matters seems to be to cause arguments. I cannot remember him ever making a motorhome-related post and having destroyed Chatterbox with his anti-immigrant and BNP-like ranting he now infects this section as there's nothing going on in Chatterbox.

I'm no angel. But if I'm rude it's when I'm provoked. What I'd like to do is make perfectly normal posts in motorhome related threads without these two polluting yet another one. Is that too much to ask?

I'm going to PM you to tell you what's behind their vile insinuations and then you may understand what they're really like.

You really don't get it do you, you dish out arguments or sarcasm to virtually everyone, and seem really surprised when folk bite back.. My reply to your post on here was a leg pull at your expense, that's what you found so irksome, and why I included the "oops" knowing perfectly well you would then kick off, you need to chill man, or find a sense of humour now and again.

Guest Had Enough
Joe90 - 2015-02-08 12:22 PM

You really don't get it do you, you dish out arguments or sarcasm to virtually everyone, and seem really surprised when folk bite back.. My reply to your post on here was a leg pull at your expense, that's what you found so irksome, and why I included the "oops" knowing perfectly well you would then kick off, you need to chill man, or find a sense of humour now and again.

Bite back by all means if I do insult you. I'm a big boy. But why do you feel the need to infect perfectly normal threads about motorhome-related matters with deliberate wind-ups? And it's not just me, you do it continually with others. If I do insult you or are sarcastic with you say what you like, but I never mention you, I avoid you as much as possible but like the others you just can't resist your trolling.

You enjoy causing trouble. Simple as that. And there are three more like you in this thread. It seems to be the only reason they're here.

If you know that your pokes and prods will get a reaction from me, we must assume that you want a reaction, or you wouldn't do it. Why?

Lord knows I have had a few goes at HE but it has gone over the top in this thread.

You want HE to behave a little better but that will never happen if you bait him at every opportunity. The thing to remember is that everyone reads what is written and it will eventually kill off this forum if you continue. I have been a member for a long time but hardly ever visit the forum (and a post is even rarer).because it is full of bile.

I reckon there will be peace in the Middle East before there is harmony on this forum. *-)

Had Enough - 2015-02-08 12:38 PM

Joe90 - 2015-02-08 12:22 PM

Bite back by all means if I do insult you. I'm a big boy. But why do you feel the need to infect perfectly normal threads about motorhome-related matters with deliberate wind-ups? And it's not just me, you do it continually with others. If I do insult you or are sarcastic with you say what you like, but I never mention you, I avoid you as much as possible but like the others you just can't resist your trolling.

You enjoy causing trouble. Simple as that. And there are three more like you in this thread. It seems to be the only reason they're here.

If you know that your pokes and prods will get a reaction from me, we must assume that you want a reaction, or you wouldn't do it. Why?

It was the nature of your reaction that is always so predictable to everyone, here's an alternative you could have adopted.

yes your right, I was a bit of a twit accepting the workmans advice, and yes maybe I should have paid more attention to my mirrors and saved yourself a load of grief and an insurance claim into the bargain.

;-)

Guest Had Enough
Joe90 - 2015-02-08 12:52 PM

Well your reaction could have just as easily been,

yes your right, I was a bit of a twit accepting the workmans advice, and yes maybe I should have paid more attention to my mirrors and saved yourself a load of grief and an insurance claim into the bargain.

;-)

But I wasn't a twit. If someone who is on the job advises you that it's safe to proceed most people would follow that advice. And I was watching him as he stood in front of me and waved me along as I drove very slowly. He suddenly realised that he'd blundered and waved me to stop whilst he went to see what had happened.

Clearly, I'll never convince you because as usual, you'll try to attribute the worst possible scenario and continue insisting that it's my fault. I've no doubt that you'll also introduce this in many future threads in even more efforts to denigrate me.

So please, carry on thinking that you're some very clever person who would have behaved differently, but I know you'd have done just what I did.

But again, I'm curious as to why you deliberately goad people, knowing full well that it could turn a thread very sour? Do you derive a lot of pleasure from this?

Finally and again, this thread was about one thing and one thing only, the advantages of having a dash cam and how it can save you a lot of grief in disputed situations. You and your mates turned it into a thread about my driving, purely to satisfy your own nasty little pleasures.

"He suddenly realised that he'd blundered and waved me to stop whilst he went to see what had happened"

A new addition to your original description, now I understand................ ;-)

you'd think you'd have known you had driven over something as large as a road cone without having to be alerted to it by someone else, after all it could have been the workman himself....... just goes to show eh.

Had Enough - 2015-02-08 12:12 PM

I messed up the quote but this is for Rupert above.

I did say that I will no longer respond to the trolls in this thread but this deserves a reply. I did not say that the workman just 'waved his arms about', that is a complete fabrication, I said that he waved me through after he'd extended his arms to the side in the universal sign to say that there was lots of room. If he hadn't been there I would have asked my wife to get out and remove the cone and then watch me through the very narrow gap. But when you're faced with a workman who assures you that you are OK most people, as you admit, would have proceeded. And having seen the video of the workman's actions the insurers didn't argue!

'This is what I wrote:

'He shrugged his shoulders and waved me through after he'd spread his arms out wide in the universal gesture that signifies: "Come on mate, you can get a bus through sideways." '

But all this is irrelevant. My driving or the accident isn't the subject. The subject is the fact that having a dash cam can be a valuable aid should you ever have an accident and someone posting to try to inform and perhaps persuade others that it's a good idea (which has happened) should not be pilloried by these people just for the sake of trying to attack someone they don't like.

But for the other part about the 'gentle leg pulls is nonsense I'm afraid. This was an innocuous thread about the advantages of a dashcam but, as has happened before two people initially, Pelmetman and Anthony1969 could not resist entering it for one reason alone, to have a go at me. And if you knew the history you would know that their insinuations were absolutely vile.

It becomes wearing. These two ruin so many threads with their childish and often nasty interventions and this one is a perfect example. Anthony1969 seems obsessed with me. He brings me into threads in Chatterbox , here and even on another forum. I go out of my way to ignore him, I never make snide attacks on him and never mention him unless I'm responding to one of his regular attacks but still he goes on, and on and on.

And you'll notice that at first I tried to ignore them but they didn't go away! They still carried on with the poking. Even Tracker can see what's going on here and it's odd that you can't. And if I was abusive it was only after I'd had enough of them and when the other two regular stirrers Joe90 and Pater James decided to join the trollers' chorus.

These people are a pox on this forum. Judgemental left and Anthony1969 was one of the reasons. He'd taken a dislike to Judge and did the same with him, entering threads on electric bikes for instance just to sneer and stir. Dave Newell told Pelmetman that if he carried on with his gassing nonsense that he would leave. So what does Pelmetman do? He gloats about taking it to the seventh page, which is what Dave Newell said was the limit and after that he'd go.

Anthon1969's entire input into Motorhome Matters seems to be to cause arguments. I cannot remember him ever making a motorhome-related post and having destroyed Chatterbox with his anti-immigrant and BNP-like ranting he now infects this section as there's nothing going on in Chatterbox.

I'm no angel. But if I'm rude it's when I'm provoked. What I'd like to do is make perfectly normal posts in motorhome related threads without these two polluting yet another one. Is that too much to ask?

I'm going to PM you to tell you what's behind their vile insinuations and then you may understand what they're really like.

Gwo up Fwankie ... It's not a biggie in the scheme of things is it ? ... You can choose to ignore like others do but if truths told you like the attention

Guest Had Enough
Joe90 - 2015-02-08 2:30 PM

"He suddenly realised that he'd blundered and waved me to stop whilst he went to see what had happened"

A new addition to your original description, now I understand................ ;-)

you'd think you'd have known you had driven over something as large as a road cone without having to be alerted to it by someone else, after all it could have been the workman himself....... just goes to show eh.

Thank you for posting yet again because every time you do it shows everyone else exactly what your motives are and what kind of a troll you are.

When I posted originally, it was about the advantages of a dash cam, so I didn't give a minute by minute blow of the occurrence as I hadn't realise that I'd have a pedantic old woman who just wanted to cause trouble by continually stirring it up and questioning what actually happened. Although from your past form I really should have realised what would happen.

But here goes: There were two workmen. One at the front who had decided that I had plenty of room and one on the pavement at the back. As we proceeded, being waved on by the man in front we heard a slight crunching noise from the rear. The man at the back had realised what was about to happen and ran forward to see his mate and told him that we should stop.

By then, about three seconds later, the man at the front was signalling us to stop but we'd already braked as we'd heard the noise. We were too late, the cone had flipped up and trapped between the rear of the wheel and the wheel arch.

On his signal we reversed slightly and the workman on the pavement removed the cone, but the damage was done.

There, I think that's everything and will say no more on the subject of the accident. I have no doubt that you and your mate will want to continue your trolling, as that seems to be the most interesting things in your lives, coming on here every day to see how much damage you can do to the forum.

You should both read what 747 has to say above. His remarks are directed at you two as well as any others.

Finally, why is this worrying you so much? You seem more exercised about this little prang than I am. When it happened it was my first trip out in a quite expensive new-to-me motorhome. But I shrugged my shoulders and carried on, knowing that one way or the other it would be sorted out. A motorhome is as important to me as my vacuum cleaner. It's a lump of metal bought to fulfil a purpose. I can no more get excited about it than I can give it a silly name as though it's a dog or a child.

For God's sake man, try to get a life and stop worrying about mine. I know you've not much going on out there but you really are becoming very tedious on here.

Guest Had Enough
antony1969 - 2015-02-08 2:59 PM

Gwo up Fwankie ... It's not a biggie in the scheme of things is it ? ... You can choose to ignore like others do but if truths told you like the attention

I always know when you're getting annoyed as you start with the baby talk! I just thank God that you're not into me as you are to Pelmet, with telling him how much you'll miss him and adding those little kisses on to your posts. I'd be a bit worried if I had a man doing that to me!

But as for choosing to ignore, why didn't you ignore my original post? You have nothing to say about the subject. I think you just crave the attention.

Once more, read what 747, one of your chums from Fruitcakes has to say. But you won't learn, your obsession is almost psychotic. You need help I'm afraid.

If there's anything I can do to stop this constant dreaming about me I'll be happy to help, for all our sakes.

Try to keep cool Antwony.

Guest Had Enough
Muswell - 2015-02-08 3:33 PM

Wonderful. A useful post, one supporting response and then it's like infant school on a bad day.

Your point is well made but to be fair there were quite a few positive contributions. Strip out Pelmetman, Antony1969, Joe90 and Peter James, whose only purpose was to troll and it was quite positive.

Some people have decided to invest in a dash cam as a result of the thread, which was the reason I started it. My experience brought home to me how they should be a part of every driver's kit.

Archived