Does anyone know why

Lizzie

Dealers/ sellers advertising motorhomes for sale do not indicate the length and width of a vehicle on their adverts and also the payload? It is time consuming to keep looking up dimensions (which may not even be accurate anyway). I am now on a waiting list for a space to store a motorhome so am looking around and researching possible vans for the future but do find this infuriating.

On another note, I love the way the Vantage Neo has a little table that can be moved to the area where the driving seats swivel round to. It makes a useful little sitting space for a coffee etc if you wanted to leave the bed made up or if OH was still in bed. Does anyone know of any other U shaped lounge van that has this set up?

Lizzie - 2015-08-31 1:51 PM

Dealers/ sellers advertising motorhomes for sale do not indicate the length and width of a vehicle on their adverts and also the payload? It is time consuming to keep looking up dimensions (which may not even be accurate anyway). I am now on a waiting list for a space to store a motorhome so am looking around and researching possible vans for the future but do find this infuriating.

Short answer - sadly - they can't be arsed. Just plain lazy. And I agree, it is infuriating.

I assume you are looking for a coachbuilt van? Have you decided what type of layout would suit you, and do you know which makers produce/d this layout?

It is possible to download archive catalogues of a number of brands that should give you all the information you are looking for, although how far back in time they go varies considerably.

Why not quote your ideal 'van, and others may be able to suggest alternative makes with similar layouts. Once a layout has been settled upon, even if it is/was produced by a number of different manufacturers, it is likely the vans will be of broadly similar size, as size is generally dictated by layout. Unless you have very specific space restrictions on parking the van, a few inches more or less shouldn't be that significant.

Guest pelmetman

I am now on a waiting list for a space to store a motorhome so am looking around and researching possible vans for the future but do find this infuriating.

Do you have a plan B should said storage place close, as from your post it seems quite critical to your plans? ;-) ..............

On another note, I love the way the Vantage Neo has a little table that can be moved to the area where the driving seats swivel round to. It makes a useful little sitting space for a coffee etc if you wanted to leave the bed made up or if OH was still in bed. Does anyone know of any other U shaped lounge van that has this set up?

Hi Lizzie

They were an option with Autotrail, not sure if they still are. But don't despair many of the smaller PVC converters are fairly flexible with what can be fitted for their customers or you could retro-fit yourselves as it's a very simple job. O'Leary's & Magnum both stock the "swan-neck" leg & various sizes of table tops.

I have retro-fitted on a Bessacarr & an Autocruise previously

Why not use a freestanding folding table that you only put up when you need? We use something like this for coffee breaks and only get the large table out for meals,.. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6092146.htm

It stores with the main table in the wardrobe and takes up next to no space.

Keith.

And Lizzie, have you used the MH reviews section of this website? http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Motorhomes/Reviews/Motorhomes/_ch1_rc1_pg1

It lists Length, Width and Height for a lot of MH's over the years.

I presume you may be open to either a coachbuilt motorhome or a panel van conversion. Regarding the latter and your reference to the Vantage Neo there is a company that will build literally what you want in a panel van conversion. They do have a standard range of layouts also that they are fully prepared to fine tune to your needs. I took a design to them over a year ago and it now appears as one of their standard designs, namely the Apollo 6.4RL which has much in common with the Vantage Neo but with a much better front dinette layout. Being a past Vantage customer I took my ideas also to Vantage but they were unprepared to make the alterations I wanted at a reasonable price.

They have a good website at:

http://www.slmotorhomes.co.uk/

Sadly I don't think we would have the money to have something built for us so will have to go with what is for sale when we get our storage space. As far as plan b for the storage goes, there is one other place but it has nothing currently and has us on a waiting list too. We haven't found anywhere else within a reasonable travelling distance - even the one we are on the waiting list from is 40 minutes drive away. The only other option is wait until I retire and move! Lack of storage is presumably just one of the downsides of living so near London.

I don't have an ideal van in mind but think we will go for a fixed bed (bed as big as possible so Hymers have the biggest bed we have seen)with L shaped dinette and swivel chairs. Toilet can be small as I expect we will mainly use campsites. We thought it would be good to keep the van to under 7m and smaller if possible, would also like as narrow as possible for travelling to small villages etc in France. The bed could be transverse if there were steps rather than a ladder. Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

On the other hand a u shape lounge would give us the bigger bed but I don't like the way the driving seats are not really useful - perhaps a small fold down table would be the answer.

The thing about having measurements when you see a van for sale means you know you can discount/count it from the advert.

I don't know how to pull out quotes for replies - can anyone explain?

Lizzie - 2015-09-04 5:57 PM

...I don't know how to pull out quotes for replies - can anyone explain?

Clicking on the “QUOTE” button at the bottom of the posting will produce a complete copy of that posting to which you can then append a reply. If you only want to comment on part of the posting, edit it as I’ve done here. If you click on the PREVIEW button before submitting your comment/reply, you’ll be able to confirm that the result will be what you intend.

Lizzie - 2015-09-04 5:57 PM.........................................I don't have an ideal van in mind but think we will go for a fixed bed (bed as big as possible so Hymers have the biggest bed we have seen)with L shaped dinette and swivel chairs. Toilet can be small as I expect we will mainly use campsites. We thought it would be good to keep the van to under 7m and smaller if possible, would also like as narrow as possible for travelling to small villages etc in France. The bed could be transverse if there were steps rather than a ladder. Any suggestions would be more than welcome...............................................

First comment: narrow vans with transverse beds will inevitably limit the length of the bed. The wider the van, the longer the bed, and vice versa.

Second comment: having said that, a van with a half dinette at the front (a forward facing two seat banquette fronting a dining table, with rotated driver's and passenger's seats opposite), and a transverse bed at the rear, usually above a largish "garage", with kitchen block and washroom on opposite sides of the van amidships, has been a very popular layout among continental manufacturers for a number of years. Usually 6.0M long or just over. You will also find some variants with longitudinal twin beds at the rear, still under 7.0M long (usually around 6.75M).

Widths range between 2.07M and 2.15M. Many incorporate the word "Van" into their names, so: Hobby Van, Hymer Van, Burstner Travel Van, Knaus Van, but also Dethleffs Globebus and Adria Compact. A number have a short ladder for access to the raised bed, but the Knaus has steps and, if I remember correctly, so does the Adria. The Kanus places the kitchen block forward. All are 3,500kg MAM, so can be driven on a normal car licence. Heights around 2.7M or less. Hobby and Hymer used the Transit base, all the others are Fiat Ducato base. There are several variants within the Hymer, Hobby, Burstner, Dethleffs and Knaus "Van" ranges. Offhand, I can't recall any UK made vans in this category.

Thereafter, you'll need to look at what is available, to see which appeals most. If you can find an Adria Compact, use that as the "gold standard" for comparisons, and the Knaus Van to see if you like the forward kitchen. The others really play variations on the theme, each offering something a bit better here, but not so good there. You will have to decide on the compromises you can live with, and those you can't.

Most continental panel van conversions (PVCs) will have the rear transverse bed with forward half dinette layout (more recent ones also offer the longitudinal twin beds), but you will find the kitchen blocks are generally limited to two burner hobs, and they will not, generally, accommodate more than 6kg sized gas cylinders (the coachbuilts will mostly, if not all, take 13kg cylinders, usually x2).

UK produced PVCs often have more lounge/dining space, and larger kitchen blocks with full ovens, but the compromise will usually be that the bed has to be converted from the lounge/diner. However, they may be more comfortable in UK, where we get more cool, windy, damp, days that force us inside for shelter. If proposing extensive use on the continent, where outdoor living is more the norm, maximising internal living space becomes less important. I would say any of the above ranges would be perfectly comfortable for the odd wet day, or even two, but if any longer, move south! However, you will be your own best judges of that.

Thank you for the ideas on vans Brian. I have just had a look at a Knaus van for sale at Becks and would love to see it in the flesh to check out the size but too far to go until we have our space. It may be that the seating space is a bit small? They also have a Hobby Siesta which is a bit longer but looks very nice. In fact they have a few different vans that would make it worth a trip and reviews on the dealer are positive.

Hi LizzieThey were an option with Autotrail, not sure if they still are. But don't despair many of the smaller PVC converters are fairly flexible with what can be fitted for their customers or you could retro-fit yourselves as it's a very simple job. O'Leary's & Magnum both stock the "swan-neck" leg & various sizes of table tops.I have retro-fitted on a Bessacarr & an Autocruise previously
The current AT Tracker has that small round table John mentioned. It could be retro fitted as it is held in place by two simple bolt on brackets. We have found it an ideal setup for coffee etc
Cheers Gary

Hi Lizzie, sometimes a bit of outside the box thinking can be useful regarding storage. We are extremely fortunate in that Lady T's employer allowed us a slot in one of his business locations.

Perhaps you may know someone with space available or do business with someone who could help as opposed to the usual standard storage solutions?

Insurance wasn't the nightmare I thought it might be neither, just gave all the facts, i.e. security measures on site etc.

Just a thought.

Martyn

Archived