Broken Fly Screen Catch - need replacement part.

Zydeco Joe

Can anybody tell me where I can get a replacement part for my habitation door fly screen retaining clip ?.

One of the photos show the clip that has lost one of the two little lugs from one side that fits into the Fly Screen assembly the part that you pull down. Second photo shows where it should go.

The van is a Auto Trail 2005 Tracker but I'm sure this kind of set up is on many vans and not only At's.

I just caught it with the lid of the dustbin and bang up it flew and off came the lug...

476036106_FlyScreenC1a.thumb.jpg.f468e5e7c58105ec3c646298bf735f8b.jpg

1222526063_FlyScreenC2a.thumb.jpg.c7223ac1aead01b698818914e17ccc65.jpg

If spares are hard to find then I would effect a DIY repair along the lines of drilling into the catch where the pin has broken off and then either glueing a short piece of metal (eg a nail) into the hole or screwing a self tapper in.

How handy are you?

Keith.

Joe,

Do you still have the piece that broke off? If so use it or if not find a piece of plastic of the right diameter.

Drill, very carefully, a small (say 1 mm) hole through the peg and a matching hole in the catch. Then use a very thin panel pin to re-attach the peg to the catch. Warming the panel pin over a flame may help it go into the drilled hole and 'set' it in place.

Where there's a will there's a way (!)

Keith.

I have an AT Tracker and the catches are a different design to yours however the new design is no better as yesterday I broke one attempting to open the flyscreen. If it was made from aluminium rather than plastic it would last indefinitely. Ali vs plastic not too much difference in weight so it must be cost that has determined the product choice. It is these small components subject of penny pinching that annoy when they fail.
Cheers Gary.

Epoxy (e.g. Araldite) Putty can be shaped fairly easily and will stick to most things. It would certainly make a piece to replace the stud you've lost.

I keep a stick in the 'van, and it has been used for various repairs.

"Waxy" plastic is notoriously difficult to get a permanent bond with, however, and if you were to use it, I would recommend also moulding the repair piece (flattening) over the side(s) of the original clip to increase the joint area.

Alternatively, you could adapt the suggestion above, and melt and glue a short section of panel-pin into the clip first, to create a small locating pin around which you could then mould the stud.

Zydeco Joe - 2015-10-12 5:54 PM

The small bit that got sheared of got lost, well its only about 3mm dia x 1.5 mm long. The catch itself is about 43 mm long. Don't know what happened to it must be on a aire in France LOL. :-S

Joe hello again - I have just mended mine - although it had broken in a different place, I had a good look at the mechanism.

If you saw a shallow slot about 10mm deep and about 3mm wide into the catch where the lug broke off, you could glue a 3mm diameter piece of rod into the slot to stand about 1-2mm proud (just like the small bit that got sheared off.

You can afford to be liberal with the glue as the catch sits at an angle with the catch body so there is a sizeable gap. (You could use a small piece of bandage as re-inforcement having scored the surrounding plastic to key-in the surface).

I hope you haven't lost the small spring that locates onto the peg on the catch and the hole in the body. If you have you need to find a compression spring about 20mm long that fits over the peg and into the hole - some ballpoint springs may do the job!

(My catch sheared off from the ali extrusion carrier but I was able to drill and screw it back on)

Good luck...Jeremy

Now sorted. Drilled a small hole in the side of the clip and used a nail with the head cut off as a kind of hinge pin. A bit tricky drilling the hole in the correct place by hand but it's now fully working.This is not just a AT problem as many other makes and not British have the same type of plastic fitting and yes if it was made of aluminium as Gary pointed out no real extra weight but much longer lasting. Thanks to all that tried to help. :-D

• 8 months later...
Reenie, I looked around but could not find one but what I did has worked well so far (15 weeks van use or more since this was posted) in fact it is better never just fly's off like it did before. Worth a go and not too hard to do. Zydeco Joe. :-D

• 3 years later...

Archived