Spare tyre

michele

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, from me the answer is yes I do carry a spare tyre, reason being, last year just before we were off on one of our travels, one of my tyres was badly damaged by a spike (dont ask how as I dont know). A new tyre was needed and the only place I could get one from was from mytyres@deti.com, no other supplier in the UK had one in stock and it was going to take them at least 7 days to source one. My one came from Germany direct within 3 days and I had it fitted locally. So I thought if that is what might happen again, I ordered another and it sits in he back garage of the van waiting for the next time, Maybe never but who knows.

We too carry a spare but do be aware that if your van comes without one, or a jack, there will be a serious payload deduction when you add the wheel and it's carrying mechanism as well as a jack, and some vans are none to generous on payload before you add any extras like spare wheel, extra battery(ies), solar panels, inverters, awnings, snooker table, jacuzzi or whatever else takes your fancy.

Barney123 - 2016-03-06 4:02 PM

Hi Tracker, I think we are talking about carrying a spare TYRE and not a spare WHEEL By just carrying the tyre you dont need all the gubbins of jacks etc, just get the local tyre fitter to do the dirty work.

Fair comment, but you still have to store the wretched thing somewhere and compact they are not!

Better surely to carry your own kit and change it yourself, unless on a motorway or dangerous location.

Carrying a spare tyre (without the wheel) saves a lot of weight and saves thelikely delay in getting hold of a new tyre.

Most importantly however it also saves you from becoming a captive customer, having to pay a rip off price for your new tyre.  The cost of recovery (and maybe also the tyre fitting) should be covered by your breakdown insurance.

I've been carrying a spare wheel and tyre for over ten years and never used it; perhaps I ought to get the tyre taken off the wheel and leave the wheel behind!

My current van does have a spare and I would rather have one. However my last two did not come with one and it never bothered me, drove all over euro land for six years without. Made sure my breakdown cover would operate if I got a puncture and someone would come out and get me to a garage. Never would try to change a motorhome wheel anyway and the chances are if you get a puncture it will wreck the tyre so you will have to get a replacement. I carried the emergency repair gunge, which with Swift was a pretty substantial pump and plenty of foam, and also one of the old tubeless puncture repair kits. In the past with these have found they will plug a small tear and then fill with foam, it is emergency only and drive slowly job but can get you out of trouble. If I got a puncture first call would be to breakdown cover, never bothered me as I could do nothing about it, no spares came with vans and no place to fit one anyway.

For me the benefits of carrying the whole lot far outweigh any weight savings from not carrying a complete wheel, tyre and jack set.

Each to their own, whatever suits the individual!

I also carry a 12 v tyre inflater with a long enough lead to reach all four wheels because sometimes simply putting air in a deflated tyre can get you out of trouble long enough to find a full time solution.

RogerC - 2016-03-06 5:50 PM

Carrying a spare tyre I can understand but considering the torque required to undo/re-torque the wheel nuts (muscles like Popeye required) has anyone actually managed to change a 'wheel' roadside without assistance?

Also I should think it could be extremely difficult to change a tyre.

In the old days we used to carry a spare inner tube around in our cars and more than once had to remove a tyre to put the new tube in.

That was hard enough even with substantial tyre levers - but I wouldn't fancy trying to remove / replace a motorhome tyre manually.

;-)

People do have such strong views about carrying a spare wheel/tyre and yet there are any number of items that could go wrong and leave you stranded and at the mercy of the local dealer.

We just do not have the payload for a spare and I would not try to change it anyway..................if the gunk did not work (unlikely I accept) I would be recovered to the local garage and either pay over the odds for a tyre

OR

there is a Europe wide delivery service from most companies,and I would just have to wait a couple of days.....................hey good job I am in a motorhome.

I have never had a puncture in 20 years of driving so why the big fuss.....................I'm not sure it's the most likely thing to go wrong OR the most difficult thing to replace if necessary

Carrying a spare tyre I can understand but considering the torque required to undo/re-torque the wheel nuts (muscles like Popeye required) has anyone actually managed to change a 'wheel' roadside without assistance?

Yes - by using a 12v impact wrench that I also just happen to have!

The hardest part is getting the jack under a van with a flat tyre and praying that you are on a sound surface whn you start jacking!

Best call someone out to do it but at least they can't sell you a tyre or two.

Yes. on two occasions. Never had a puncture in over 30 years of driving, then have had two within two years on the motorhome (mentioned on here before with pictures) and on both occasions the 'gunk' rubbish would have been as much use as a chocolate teapot!!

I would never buy any vehicle that did not have a spare wheel and tyre within the asking price, it would be a complete deal breaker!

Bas

After having a puncture when leaving Goodwood revival with my first Motorhome which had a spare wheel and tyre I was able to change it myself and get on my way.

So when I bought my new current motorhome I did ask for a spare wheel and tyre to be included as from my own experience I thought it was worth it.

I made up my own brackets and it sits in the garage I am happy with that arrangement the van was supplied with the compressor and gel which I also carry.

So basically it gives me piece of mind.

Campbell

michele - 2016-03-06 3:11 PM

What and how do you get out of trouble with no spare . What can one use . They give a repair kit but supposing it was beyond repair . In a foreign country who do you call . Do people buy spares and cart with them ?

I bought a spare with the van. Then, if I do get a flat - even if I needed to call breakdown to change it - I have a spare wheel that can be fitted. If no spare, what would the breakdown service be able to do, except take the flat for repair/replacement and bring it back, while you wait? Ask for a spare to be provided, but remember that they weigh about 25kg, which will come off your payload and, if carried at the rear, it will probably increase the actual rear axle load by about 35kg.

RAC now offer a mobile tyre fitting service, free call out to members. £30 otherwise. Like others on here I haven't had a puncture in years and have no spare. Even if I wasn't a member of the RAC I would probably still use this service, its a win win situation as far as I am concerned when a spare wheel cost in excess of £300 and will probably never be used.

peedee

peedee - 2016-03-07 3:18 PM

RAC now offer a mobile tyre fitting service, free call out to members. £30 otherwise. Like others on here I haven't had a puncture in years and have no spare. Even if I wasn't a member of the RAC I would probably still use this service, its a win win situation as far as I am concerned when a spare wheel cost in excess of £300 and will probably never be used.

peedee

But surely, that's just going to be okay for fitting what you've got on board? ...no?...

What if they can't source what you need...?

It's a poor show when 6-7-8 mtr long vehicles haven't got the payload for a spare wheel... :-S

pepe63 - 2016-03-07 3:43 PM

It's a poor show when 6-7-8 mtr long vehicles haven't got the payload for a spare wheel... :-S

You've got it all wrong pepe.

It's all done for the benefit of customers - and is nothing at all to do with increased profits.

( Think of it like call centres in India ).

:-D

I have always carried a spare. We also carry a bottle jack tyre pump and wheel brace and torque wrench. It is definitely not easy to change a wheel on a m/h and in some cases beyond the scope of "amateur" skills and equipment.

So I would only attempt it :-

Where in terms of road conditions it was safe to do so AND

where there were no professional rescue organisations available. So realistically it is unlikely that I would personally change a wheel.

As already rehearsed the absence of a spare will at best leave you as a hostage to the market in terms of the cost of a new tyre and at worst cause you to be stuck in a strange place for days while you wait for a spare to be delivered.

We carry an extendable wheel brace available from Halfords. Not used it on our motorhome but have come to the aid of some drivers who have been struggling to remove a wheel. Works a treat but note none of the sockets supplied will fit a van wheel nut so you will need to buy a suitable size socket. You should also get the torque you've applied to the nuts asap.

Tracker - 2016-03-06 5:37 PM

For me the benefits of carrying the whole lot far outweigh any weight savings from not carrying a complete wheel, tyre and jack set.

Each to their own, whatever suits the individual!

I also carry a 12 v tyre inflater with a long enough lead to reach all four wheels because sometimes simply putting air in a deflated tyre can get you out of trouble long enough to find a full time solution.

I'm with you Tracker but just a thought have you made sure you inflator can reach the required pressure. Not very many can. The ones some manufacturers used to supply with a can of foam would struggle to reach 50 psi!

I was looking at a new car in a showroom some time ago and told a ratherwas snooty arsed salesman that I was not happy with the lack of a spare wheel. He asked me when I last had a puncture to which I pointed out that my concern was when I next had a puncture rather than last had one! That took the wind out of his sales.

Archived