Spam attack

Colin Leake

We seem to have become a target. No idea what can be done about it other than for mr moderator to keep pulling their threads as fast as possible to discourage him her or them. Removing them from the forum may help but they'll probably soon be back with a new I.D.

If they keep it up at this rate they'll get a two star rating like me!

Sadly 'they' is just an automated computer program (bot).

The forum mods should be able to setup some kind of new user captcha / email auth to prevent 99% of the automated spam.

Whether they will or not is another matter.

'They' get money out of it.

The programs scan the Internet looking for discussion forums just like this one, then they register, they post a link, someone clicks the link (or an advert on the linked page) and they make a few pence on each click.

Simple as that really...

They're not targeting us as a user base / group, they'll be scanning and posting to millions (literally) of forums all over the world, 24/7/365. It's nothing personal. Just annoying as hell for the people who actually use the forums.

I'm deleting the posts and banning the users every morning, but at the weekend I have other things to contend with so it's usually monday morning when they get removed. Our other moderator has left which doesn't help so if anyone would like to become an official moderator, drop me a PM. There's no obligation for time or duties as you don't get paid. As far as changing the forum registration system - this is under discussion.

cheers

duncan

Well done Duncan

At least you are trying to sort the problem.

How do they get registered? I thought you had to apply for a user password?

Voluntary mods a good idea, as long it is only to regulate spam!!

PJay

Duncan MMM - 2016-05-05 9:37 AM

I'm deleting the posts and banning the users every morning, but at the weekend I have other things to contend with so it's usually monday morning when they get removed. Our other moderator has left which doesn't help so if anyone would like to become an official moderator, drop me a PM. There's no obligation for time or duties as you don't get paid. As far as changing the forum registration system - this is under discussion.

cheers

duncan

Thanks Duncan.

Hopefully any moderator appointed from the current ranks of forum members will ONLY be able to remove the spam, and won't be censoring posts that he / she doesn't agree with ( or like the look of ).

:-D

Cheers Duncan, and I for another one appreciate your efforts.

I don't see myself as a moderator and no doubt there would be squeals of non-delight from some if I were but if I can help I would be happy to as I too very much value this Forum.

That said the spam does not bother me unduly as the user name and title generally give it away for what it is and should enable one to spot it and not click on it.

Might not allowing any new members to post anything for 24 hours from first registration help?

Does the sign up procedure not entail filling in one of those "Re-type the characters that are in the box above" boxes?

I thought they were intended to stop "Bots"...? :-S

(..or are we suggesting that "spammers" are spending their weekends, physically filling out each, individual registration form...?)

Bots are getting clever, basic Captcha - 'type in the number in the box' is easy to circumvent these days. More advanced Captcha does still work well though. Not allowing folks to post links or attachments for a period after registration is a good idea - but this period should be a month, not 24 hours, it should also require a number of sensible posts in the interim.

From the forums I run and have previously run myself, most of these attacks are coming from out-with the UK. I just implemented IP GeoBlocking to block entire countries and continents. Blocking China, Russia, Africa and South America does wonders for reducing the amount of spam, and hardly effects legit users. Geoblocking is, of course not foolproof, but until it becomes popular, bot-operators and developers wont bother trying to get around it - too many other sites out there to attack.

Nigel

veletron - 2016-05-06 11:42 AM

Not allowing folks to post links or attachments for a period after registration is a good idea - but this period should be a month, not 24 hours, it should also require a number of sensible posts in the interim.

From the forums I run and have previously run myself, most of these attacks are coming from out-with the UK. I just implemented IP GeoBlocking to block entire countries and continents. Blocking China, Russia, Africa and South America does wonders for reducing the amount of spam, and hardly effects legit users. Geoblocking is, of course not foolproof, but until it becomes popular, bot-operators and developers wont bother trying to get around it - too many other sites out there to attack.

Nigel

Now those two ideas I like - well done Nigel!!

Hope Duncan sees it !!!!!

Guest pelmetman
veletron - 2016-05-06 11:42 AM

it should also require a number of sensible posts in the interim.

8-) .........I'd never get allowed in :D .......

Duncan MMM - 2016-05-09 3:29 PM

Just to let you all know, two forum members have been appointed as Support Administrators, which means they can remove spam as and when they see it, hopefully over the weekend etc.

Great news!

Any luck in implementing something to stop the bots signing up in the first place?

And I note that the 'User Titles' have finally been updated :-)

Gone are 'Stalwarts' and 'Experts' and we now have titles such as 'Having a look around', 'Pops in from time to time' or 'Legendary contributor'.

Far more appropriate!

But why do the members with most posts have no title :-(

Please, give us a title :-)

Keith.

Keithl - 2016-05-09 10:25 PM

Keith.

I think if you turn off post counts in 'Forums Control Panel' (see menu buttons across the top) then it also turns off the title.

edit - just tested it and I am correct. So if you want a title then turn on your post counter in Forums Control Panel.

Brambles - 2016-05-10 1:04 AM

Keithl - 2016-05-09 10:25 PM

Keith.

I think if you turn off post counts in 'Forums Control Panel' (see menu buttons across the top) then it also turns off the title.

edit - just tested it and I am correct. So if you want a title then turn on your post counter in Forums Control Panel.

Thanks Brambles, I hadn't realised that was the case.

Keith.

Rather than fiddle about with fatuous ‘User Titles’, it would be nice if simple useful changes could be made to the descriptions of the purpose of the Motorhome Matters and Hints and Tips forums (as shown in the forums’ “Motorhomes” section.)

For years Motorhome Matter’s purpose has been described as "Log on for friendly chat with hundreds of motorhome enthusiasts like yourself...”, while Hints and Tips’s purpose is "Seek out advice or pass on recommendations...”. As far as I’m concerned (and it doesn’t need a SATS test to confirm this) a ‘hint’ and a ‘tip’ involves advice being given proactively and is quite different from seeking out advice.

The effect of the two forums’ existing descriptions is that new forum members will initially tend to use Hints and Tips to seek advice and then (quite regularly) be directed to the Motorhome Matters forum as that’s the one that ttracts the larger audience. It’s also the case that some people use both forums haphazardly, even duplicating postings on both forums occasionally.

To define the two forums’ purposes more sensibly, I suggest that the Motorhome Matters description be changed to “Chat with hundreds of motorhome enthusiasts like yourself and seek advice...” and that Hints and Tips becomes “Pass on your favourite recommendations...”.

Derek Uzzell - 2016-05-10 10:10 AM

To define the two forums’ purposes more sensibly, I suggest that the Motorhome Matters description be changed to “Chat with hundreds of motorhome enthusiasts like yourself and seek advice...” and that Hints and Tips becomes “Pass on your favourite recommendations...”.

As requested...

Brambles - 2016-05-10 11:17 AM

Yesterday I was a 'legend', today I am a 'master' !

So as a Forum Master I agree with Derek's post.

It seems that I am no longer a leg end but have morphed into a 'lord of the posts'.

But I'm gonna hide it 'cos I'm quite shy and demure!!

By the way - my dog used to think he was lord of the posts too - but for a different reason!

Whatever next - methinks Duncan doth have a great sense of humour!!

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2016-05-10 11:53 AM

Brambles - 2016-05-10 11:17 AM

Yesterday I was a 'legend', today I am a 'master' !

So as a Forum Master I agree with Derek's post.

It seems that I am no longer a leg end but have morphed into a 'lord of the posts'.

But I'm gonna hide it 'cos I'm quite shy and demure!!

By the way - my dog used to think he was lord of the posts too - but for a different reason!

Whatever next - methinks Duncan doth have a great sense of humour!!

I think I've been given a euphemism 8-) .................

Now all we need is a sub section in chatterbox called ..........."FIGHT" :D ..........then all the threads that go off topic can be put there, and we can invite my mates Frank and 1foot back as mods B-) ......

Archived