alko amc rear axle(s) GREASING

monique.hubrechtsgm

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would suggest, Monique, that you weigh your van in a "known" load condition.

Personally, I favour removing everything that is in the van (food, liquids, bedding, clothing, loose equipment, fresh water tank empty, waste tank empty, gas cylinders removed, etc.) leaving only the basic toolkit (jack and wheelbrace), electrical hook-up cable, and empty toilet cassette, in place. Then fill the fuel tank and go to the weighbridge and get a) the front axle weight and b) the overall weight of the van, with you out of the van and off the weighbridge platform. Rear axle weight then = b - a.

If you don't already know these weights with the van fully laden (full water tank, full toilet cassette {you can use water! :-D}, full gas cylinder/s, all food, liquids, bedding, clothing, equipment, etc.), and with everyone and all animals on board, I would also be inclined to weigh it again fully laden.

You will then know how much you add to each axle in normal use, and how much you have spare on each axle when fully laden.

That should help you to decide how much, if any, extra payload you need, and how your added load is distributed between front and rear.

From that, it should be possible to decide whether the additional weight of the AlKo, VB, or Goldschmitt solutions would cause you any additional payload problems.

If you know (or can find out) where the actual weight of each solution would be added, it should also be possible to calculate whether either axle would be at risk of overload in each case.

It may give you a headache - but it may also save you from spending a lot of money, and then finding that the actual benefit wasn't worth the cost!

Fully understood Brian. But i want the running noise out and some more comfort by air suspension. Air suspension will not change your axle ratings or increase them or increase the MAM. Alko designed a specific air suspension for my torsion bar axle, forget the front. Its more difficult than air on fiat leaf spring axle. The funny thing is that the torsion bars have no function anymore Still being a alko chassis-Axle. It could be very well the case that full air on the ducato chassis as supplied by goldsmitt is compatible. With their remote control you can read out your axle loads. Goldsmitt is three hours drive and alko seven hours. Both they will fix it in a day and infra for the dogs Will make a trip to them. I will go to alko if i will get a grease free axle for free otherwise i go for goldsmitt which is standard in the hymer group fitted to a alko axle. All these axle companies are very rich especially in the us and Canada. They copycat their patents or merger. like alko whit dexter.

Buying a large motor motor home on a fiat ducato light chassis is a very risky thing having a B licence. You may technically overload to max axle loads whit 5 percent tolerance. But you may not use that 350 kg extra. Type approved rear axle load on the ground can not be changed by suspension modifications whatever. You can make a heavy out of it on front and rear but you violate the type approvals and all consequences. You can ease your suspension but the 2000kg on the rear is the end. Endless discussions have been made on this subject.You may use that 350kg whit C1 but it cost you a lot of money and the older ones have only one year validity. In the meantime i find out a weigh bridge on our garbage station they can detect one kg difference in and out.I will check their accuracy. B-)

In my club of dog agility all alko low frame runners are jealous about my high frame parking on farmed land. It will even 10cm more up when my air suspension is fitted. It can you save a lot of money when your overhang is hitting the ground on the rearside. That double floor argument is just a illusion. Look at the adria sonic supreme which is flagrant copy of Niesmann+bischoff front design. So if you hit soft grounds on the side of the road or land parking your are sitting on your water tanks. drain piping and front ducato subframe bolts. Mostly covered with one plate to protect the airco compressor. On a high frame you are 22cm more up. In case you are blocked do not try to get out. But call a tractor and take good care of the towing eye fully screwed in and pull out direction. It is very weak on the ducato and better on the transit. But never forget it is a towing eye only and not a rescue of tons but just pulling whit the wheels running freely.

Archived