Cheapo 12 volt tv compared to expensive......

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

Our 99 quid Morrisons special tv is on its way out *-) .......

When on there's several permanent lines across the screen, and you have to change channel as soon as you turn it on or the picture disappears :-S ......

So just ordered another cheapo from Amazon ...... dearer though at £129.99, but if it lasts 6 years like the old one then I reckon I'm still quids in when compared to a avtex for example ;-) .......

Agree.........to many items increase once you factor in motorhoming. We are very happy with our Cello TV/DVD combo.

I am also a great believer in smart shopping ........expensive does not always mean quality.

"Buy cheap- buy twice"some people say err no

"buy cheap - buy thrice and still save money"

Having had a Panasonic TV trouble free for over 20 years I always used to buy Panasonic. But the last 3 Panasonic DVD recorders have been very troublesome so I don't buy Panasonic anymore.

In his Biography Alan Sugar said most consumer electronics companies use each other's components, which I have seen when I opened them up.

If 'you get what you pay for' were true*-) there wouldn't be any scams.

So, with no proof of expensive being better, you may as well buy cheap :-)

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2016-10-28 4:00 PM

pelmetman - 2016-10-28 3:18 PM

... dearer though at £129.99, ....

What do you expect with Brexit trashing the pound ;-)

Worth every extra penny then :D ......

I bought a 19" Bush TV/DVD combo from a Store that sells ex Argos goods. It was about £80 and is very good. The only extra I needed was a 12 volt power supply. It took a bit of finding as Bush use the 4 pin connector on the back of the set. Had it over 4 years and had no problem with it.

I was so happy with it that I bought a 22" Bush for the Kitchen, it was around £85. It also has been faultless for 3 years.

If for UK use, I would agree. Bought a very good Samsung Freeview HD TV earlier this year, and works fine.

It also worked fine in France until our second trip this year, when we were told that their transmission system on Digital has changed, and most French TV sets cant even pick up the new signal.

We enquired about this at the NEC, and yes, that's correct, so any current UK Freeview ones will no longer pick up French TV. It seems that Avtex were one of the few companies, who were either aware of it, or at least did something about it, and they have a new series of Freeview Digital TV sets which include the new continental system.

Being Avtex of course they are a lot more expensive than the likes of Samsung, but for our purpose it was worth getting this, and at least buying from the stand at NEC we got a slightly better price, plus 'extras'...

Haven't tried it out yet though, and wont be back in France until mid 2017!! so hope the French don't sneak in any other changes to systems meantime...!

Guest pelmetman

Update.......TV arrived.....fitted and works fine......except I've got to order another bracket like we have, as I had modified our existing one to fit the old telly.......so now its only got two holes that line up *-) .....

I purchased a small TV for the study from Aldi. It worked fine for 3years then gave in. The viewing angle was very narrow up or down from the centre horizontal. So if you looked from below or above the picture went darker. The Avtex fitted as standard in our AT does not do that so maybe the price difference is related to superior components that avoid that issue. Cheers,

We have cheap Alba TV. It's 12v or mains, light as a feather which is just as well as it only has two screw holes on back to fix to bracket. Yes the viewing angle is not great and you have to be pretty straight on or picture goes 'negative' but we really don't watch much TV when in the van so very happy with our cheap one.

747 - 2016-10-28 5:14 PM

I bought a 19" Bush TV/DVD combo from a Store that sells ex Argos goods. It was about £80 and is very good. The only extra I needed was a 12 volt power supply. It took a bit of finding as Bush use the 4 pin connector on the back of the set. Had it over 4 years and had no problem with it.

I was so happy with it that I bought a 22" Bush for the Kitchen, it was around £85. It also has been faultless for 3 years.

So it begs the Question How tall is it now?.....sorry (lol)

I bought a cheap flatscreen TV from Currys which came with an extrenal mains transformer to convert to 12 volts going into the TV itself and it's worked in the MH for over ten years.  But it's a cheap TV and has some quaint shortcomings, which I have found ways to cope with.

But MHs are not cheap and if you can get 10 years service out of a TV why compromise quality and enjoyment by buying a cheap one?  The difference in cost between a cheap one and a good one is going to be neither here nor there over that sort of timescale. 

I think that if I replace what I've got I would go for the proper job.

Guest pelmetman
StuartO - 2016-10-30 10:20 AMI bought a cheap flatscreen TV from Currys which came with an extrenal mains transformer to convert to 12 volts going into the TV itself and it's worked in the MH for over ten years.  But it's a cheap TV and has some quaint shortcomings, which I have found ways to cope with.

But MHs are not cheap and if you can get 10 years service out of a TV why compromise quality and enjoyment by buying a cheap one?  The difference in cost between a cheap one and a good one is going to be neither here nor there over that sort of timescale. 

I think that if I replace what I've got I would go for the proper job.

I guess it depends on whether you have the equipment to enjoy the so called extra quality ;-) .........being a bit deaf means any up market hifi quality stereo sound would be wasted on my lugholes.......ditto super HD :D ......Besides the ability to see someones nose hair would surely distract my random mind from any plot 8-) .....

lennyhb - 2016-10-29 3:37 PM

The French system has not changed, they turned off standard transmissions and now only broadcast in HD. I assume your TV is HD ready rather than full HD, you just need to buy an HD receiver.

The Samsuing TV I bought was HD tuner incorporated / Freeview model, and in fact worked all over France early this year.

When we came to return later in the year, it didn't, and my understanding is that they have stopped even the standard HD transmissions in most areas, and the new TV from Avtex has DVB/T and DVB/T2, which is what is now required over there.

Keith T - 2016-10-30 3:17 PM

lennyhb - 2016-10-29 3:37 PM

The French system has not changed, they turned off standard transmissions and now only broadcast in HD. I assume your TV is HD ready rather than full HD, you just need to buy an HD receiver.

The Samsuing TV I bought was HD tuner incorporated / Freeview model, and in fact worked all over France early this year.

When we came to return later in the year, it didn't, and my understanding is that they have stopped even the standard HD transmissions in most areas, and the new TV from Avtex has DVB/T and DVB/T2, which is what is now required over there.

Even if that is the case my advice still stands you just need to buy a new digi box no need to replace the TV.

Archived