Heads up on battery prices

Dr Dave

I have been looking for two Varta LFD90 batteries to replace the failed banner energy bull and its brother but the Varta's locally and on some web sites are over £100 each and prices are set to rise due to the rising cost of lead and the falling pound. I have just signed up with Tayna for there email which gives a 5% discount and two LFD90s including delivery is £168.29 Total. So i would suggest if you want any of these its time to order.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Just bumping this thread up I have looked on Tayna.co.uk today and the Varta LFD90 has gone up from £79.95 to £87.95 and that's still cheap in comparison to others and don't forget you can get the 5% discount. I hope anyone who wanted them got them at the lower price.

Dave

I saw something mentioned on a forum recently that surprised me but don't know if it is true.

If you sign up with Halfords as a Trade Customer, they give big discounts ...... allegedly. 8-)

Might be worth investigating.

747 - 2017-01-27 4:37 PM

I saw something mentioned on a forum recently that surprised me but don't know if it is true.

If you sign up with Halfords as a Trade Customer, they give big discounts ...... allegedly. 8-)

Yes, circa 20% and you can see trade prices on-line if you register with your trade card.

There is a couple of advantages about Halfords they are very good at exchanging under warranty and you can return the battery to any branch. However they are expensive and may not sell the brand you want. If you do order online, returns are very difficult as i could find no-one who will transport a lead acid battery. But the lower prices may negate this issue.

Worth checking if Euro Car Parts have a sale on. They used to be very cheap, now they have put their prices up and regularly drop them again for a 30% off sale which they have at the moment. http://www.eurocarparts.com/ But you need to order online first - which costs nothing. If you just turn up at the counter without an online order they will charge you full price.

A guy on ebay is selling a pair of Varta LFD 90's with a current bid of £17.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/x2-VARTA-LFD90-12v-90Ah-leisure-Marine-deep-cycle-batterys-off-motorhome-/322400180590?hash=item4b108c596e:g:OKkAAOSwo4pYhjym

This is the company we get our Varta LFD 90 batteries from now at a price matching the above £90 : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LFD90-Varta-Professional-Deep-Cycle-Leisure-Battery-90Ah-Caravan-Camper-Marine-/291689305265?hash=item43ea0994b1:g:cAwAAOSwT5tWKe9Z

It is only a small shop so they normally only keep 2 or 3 LFD 90's in stock, so you can be sure they have not been sitting there for weeks. Therefore you might have to wait a day if you order but can be sure they are fresh, not already lost half their life.

747 - 2017-01-27 4:37 PM

I wanted a 115 AH Leisure battery looked on t'internet Halfrauds advertising one for £95:00, made a note of the physical size of it and checked the following day if it would fit in my battery box, yes it would, so I rang Halfrauds Preston branch to order one, the price had gone up overnight to £135:00.

Halfrauds Bigger Highway Robbers than Dick Turpin

myshell - 2017-01-29 5:43 PM

I wanted a 115 AH Leisure battery looked on t'internet Halfrauds advertising one for £95:00, made a note of the physical size of it and checked the following day if it would fit in my battery box, yes it would, so I rang Halfrauds Preston branch to order one, the price had gone up overnight to £135:00.

All I can say is you need to find someone with a Halfords Trade card!!!

Current trade price, even with RRP of £135, is seriously less than your original price!

If you where nearer B'ham I would offer to help, but...

Keith.

myshell - 2017-01-29 5:43 PM

They are all at it. Prices up and down like yoyo. I have just got one from http://www.eurocarparts.com/ for £94.49 and a Bosch Main Battery for £105. They will be 30% more tomorrow until the next sale (lol)

PS: Took old batteries to scrapyard and got 50p a kilo. You have to show photo ID now and have cheque or paid into bank account.

Archived