Advice on Autotrail Warranty and Dealer Support

Bop

As for needing separate space to your wife in the mornings can't you go outside and relax in a chair as that is the best part of the day? I find that to be a great way to start the day with a cup of tea and a book in the peace and quiet. Most people in fact consume breakfast outside as well as other meals.

Of course it all depends where and when you propose to spend your holiday but the 4 summer months in the Med do get incredibly hot.

Exactly what i do. I usually get up first, as I need less sleep than OH does.

BOP. I am a wife, so tell yours that you really don't need many clothes . If you are touring around, you see different people, so they won't know if she wore that T shirt/shorts last week!! and as I said before they have washing machines, though I do take an iron with me

PJay

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reply from Swift re warranty

I think those that have responded to your post have explained the situation with regards to warranty well. I feel I must step in at this point, as it seems that there still might be some confusion.

Although we produce a product that this similar to a car (both in cost, approvals, etc.), we are not the automotive industry. We do not own franchises dealers, and we sell our products to our Dealers, who in turn sell them to our end-customers.

Each Dealer is an independent business, who may sell an number of brands (and indeed products), but we cannot force them to take on the warranty work from another Dealer.

We do not place any restrictions on them doing this, if they wish, but it is their choice, and one that is normally driven by the need to create a relationship (or at least offer priority) to their retail customers first.

Ash

Ray

I think that is an issue with many owners. We expect any dealer to be able to handle a warranty repair, if they are a dealer for that particular marque.

And why shouldn't we? It works in the car industry and would be quite simple to introduce in the leisure vehicle industry. It would simply be part of the contract between Manufacturer and Dealer.

Until such a simple thing is organised, this industry cannot be viewed as customer-centric.

Robert

Further to the above. This a response from Swift about servicing on the Swift Talk website.

"All workshops, mobile or static must be AWS approved and carry out servicing to Swift's service schedule. http://www.approvedworkshops.co.uk/approved-touring-caravan-motorhome-servicing

"However, you will, no doubt, find that only the dealer you purchased from will be able to carry out any warranty work. Specific Swift approval for warranty work is required and it is unlikely a mobile technician will have that approval. This is separate from AWS approval."

Make sure you get, and keep, all servicing schedules and invoices and send copies to Swift so that your caravan's records are kept up to date in the event of a warranty claim".

I was mistaken in that these are not Swift agents but AWS approved agents that can carry out servicing but not warranty work.

Is it possible Autotrail have similar arrangements?

Mike88 - 2017-02-08 6:11 PM

Seems they have very similar T&C's.

Here's an extract...

"1.2. Contact must initially always be through the selling dealer.

1.3. Auto-Trail VR Ltd through its dealer network will repair or replace all parts and components of the motor home that are included in the warranty free of charge during the first five years and partially under the conditions set out above in the section "years 6 to 10" of the general presentation of the Warranty."

http://www.auto-trail.co.uk/warranty-and-roadside

Keith.

Keithl - 2017-02-08 6:49 PM

Mike88 - 2017-02-08 6:11 PM

Seems they have very similar T&C's.

Here's an extract...

"1.2. Contact must initially always be through the selling dealer.

1.3. Auto-Trail VR Ltd through its dealer network will repair or replace all parts and components of the motor home that are included in the warranty free of charge during the first five years and partially under the conditions set out above in the section "years 6 to 10" of the general presentation of the Warranty."

http://www.auto-trail.co.uk/warranty-and-roadside

Keith.

But, Keith, as I read it those warranty conditions are only relevant to the water ingress portion of the warranty package. Conversion bodyshell warranty is 5 years (last three insurance backed, with additional conditions), the mechanicals warranty three years (last year insurance backed with additional conditions).

You would think they'd have got someone who could write clear English to proof read that lot before putting it on their website! Not exactly confidence inspiring.

crocs - 2017-02-08 5:16 PM

I think that is an issue with many owners. We expect any dealer to be able to handle a warranty repair, if they are a dealer for that particular marque.

And why shouldn't we? It works in the car industry and would be quite simple to introduce in the leisure vehicle industry. It would simply be part of the contract between Manufacturer and Dealer.

Until such a simple thing is organised, this industry cannot be viewed as customer-centric.

Robert

Hi Robert,

I am so pleasked that you've mentioned this point as I think the exact same as yourself. I opted to purchase an Autotrail van because the dealer boasted that it was the best brand available; stating also that AT was so confident in its product quality that it was happy to award an industry leading warranty scheme to its clients.

I now feel quite peeved off by my whole MH purchase experience. It also seems very apparent that the UK MH Industry is fairly wanting in terms of its lack of alignment with any vehicle-specific industry standards.

All the best,

Andrew

Keithl - 2017-02-08 7:57 PM

Brian,

Now that's where our reading differs as I read it that it applied to both the 5 year habitation warranty and the 10 year body warranty.

Keith.

Keith,

What is your interpretation of the base vehicle warranty package (3 or 5-years) and can the mechanical warranty portion be repaired directly via an authorised Fiat garage, i.e. without any intervention by the supplying MH Dealer? I suspect that I already know the answer to the last bit but I can but check.

Regards,

Andrew

Bop - 2017-02-08 10:33 PM

What is your interpretation of the base vehicle warranty package (3 or 5-years)...

Andrew,

My interpretation is that the base vehicle warranty is strictly limited to the Fiat 3 year warranty as quoted in AT's T&C's...

"The Fiat chassis is covered for a total of 3 years. (terms and conditions apply)."

Bop - 2017-02-08 10:33 PM

...can the mechanical warranty portion be repaired directly via an authorised Fiat garage, i.e. without any intervention by the supplying MH Dealer?

Again my interpretation only! I believe you can go directly to Fiat for warranty repairs but it would be in your best interests to notify your selling dealer if you do so, preferably in advance to give them an opportunity to remedy faults first.

I am no expert in these matters so if anyone else has a different view please correct me.

Keith.

I have personal experience of a problem with the Fiat portion of the van within the warranty period. The cab door locks would not work with a key. The supplying dealer told me to go to a Fiat Professional dealership direct which I did. A "Professional" dealership is one that is able to service commercial vehicles as opposed to car only dealerships. Any Fiat Professional dealership will be willing and able to undertake warranty work on the Fiat portion of a motorhome.

In essence the Fiat element is covered by Fiat's warranty which is normally 3 years for a UK sourced vehicle - 2 years for those purchased abroad. From memory I believe the third year of a warranty is insurance based but all remedial work is undertaken by Fiat.

The supplying motorhome dealer is responsible for everything else during the warranty period providing the motorhome has been serviced, including damp checks, to the manufacturers specification. That dealer is able to recover the costs of any warranty work from the manufacturer.

an interesting thread as we are currently awaiting delivery of a new AT 610SE..PVC. Initially ordered at the Birmingham show, and with the information that thre was 5yr warranty, and 10 yr on 'body construction integrity'...and that is confirmed in the brochure for these models.

Now, surely even if a 'van' has holes cut in it for windows etc that is .'body construction' and arguably is 10yrs? So kin my view if there was any damp caused by say faulty workmanship (which certainly was a problem quite often with AutoSleeper conversions which we had in earlier years) then that should be covered up to 10 years? Will be interesting to see how the AT workmanship is, but I am hoping it lives up to the claims of up with the best in uk!

As for warranty terms in general, they are always subject to 'conditions' but since our selling dealer is agent for AT (and our present Burstner) and also an authorised service agency for FIAT, we always use them for anything needed in Chassis or Body terms.

Mike88 - 2017-02-09 8:08 AM

The supplying motorhome dealer is responsible for everything else during the warranty period providing the motorhome has been serviced, including damp checks, to the manufacturers specification. That dealer is able to recover the costs of any warranty work from the manufacturer.

Keith - thanks for the info with regards to the warranty of the base vehicle and how to get any issues resolved. Very useful indeed ;-)

Mike - I've separated this bit of your quote as it's the last sentence which intrigues me as to why there is a reluctance by some dealers to avoid undertaking warranty work on vans where they were not the supplying agent.

I do get everything that's been said on this thread too date, honest I do, but MHs in general seem to have their fair share of reliability problems and I would have thought that warranty work by its need to charge 'man-hours' would be a nice little earner for the dealers.

That being said, I've also read a few MMM threads in recent days which highlight the point that the build quality of certain MH manufacturers has been degraded in recent years. If this is truely the case then I can also see why dealers and manufacturers would want to make the warranty process as difficult as possible.

It seems that the poor regulatory system for UK MHs helps both the dealer and the manufacturer from being held to full account.

(I'm off to do some house renovation tasks - lucky me)

Thanks again,

Andrew

A summary of the Fiat Professional “Contractual Warranty” can be found here

https://www.fiatprofessional.co.uk/services/warranty/contractual-warranty

I hesitate to say this, but if it is plain to a motorhome dealership asked to perform under-warranty work that the vehicle was purchased elsewhere to save money, shouldn’t it be expected that the dealership might not be keen to carry out that work?

Derek Uzzell - 2017-02-09 9:26 AM

A summary of the Fiat Professional “Contractual Warranty” can be found here

https://www.fiatprofessional.co.uk/services/warranty/contractual-warranty

I hesitate to say this, but if it is plain to a motorhome dealership asked to perform under-warranty work that the vehicle was purchased elsewhere to save money, shouldn’t it be expected that the dealership might not be keen to carry out that work?

Derek, the link you sent is fantastic - great info as per usual. Many thanks.

I do agree with your point from one side but on the other side I have to admit that I still look at the term 'Manufacturers Warranty' as if it were an industry-standard and regulated system which helps put the customer first, within reason.

As I newbie to motorhoming I do get the distinct impression that most customers are either not aware of the restrictions/hurdles placed upon them in the first instance or if they are aware then it's just a case where they think nothing can be done and live with it.

We bought our Autotrail based predominately on the warranty system which in the dealers eyes (and mine) inferred quality while at the same time giving a new customer the feeling of buying into a manufacturers support network such as the one found in the good segment of the automotive industry. Sadly we found this not to be the case and the 5 & 10 year Autotrail as published seems not that great on second look. The warranty tipped the balance of the purchase but I now realise that buying a MH with a 3-year warranty (IMO) is probably just as good (or as dubious) as buying into the elongated AT wispy-washy warranty.

I note that you and Brian (as gurus of the forum) own different brands of MH so I may look to follow your lead.

Thanks for the help. You've been fantastic.

Very best,

Andrew

Andrew

If you decide to keep your Imala I suggest you explore its warranty terms and conditions very carefully.

As I understand it, the Fiat warranty for the Imala’s Ducato base has a 2-year duration during which time claims will be dealt with via a Fiat Professional agency. After that, until the motorhome is 5 years old, claims will be dealt with through MB & G Insurance.

The ‘habitation warranty seems to have a similar structure, with the first 2 years covered by Auto-Trail and years 3 to 5 by MB & G Insurance.

The 10 year “Body Construction Integrity Warranty” is in two parts, with water-ingress problems during the first 5 years being 100% covered by Auto-Trail, and from years 6 to 10 also being covered by Auto-Trail but on a reducing scale.

It’s not unusual for major motorhome appliances (eg. fridge, heater) to have their own warranty and for the terms, conditions and duration of those warranties to differ from the motorhome manufacturer’s. I don’t know if that’s the case with Auto-Trail though.

Derek Uzzell - 2017-02-11 9:53 AM

Andrew

If you decide to keep your Imala I suggest you explore its warranty terms and conditions very carefully.

As I understand it, the Fiat warranty for the Imala’s Ducato base has a 2-year duration during which time claims will be dealt with via a Fiat Professional agency. After that, until the motorhome is 5 years old, claims will be dealt with through MB & G Insurance.

The ‘habitation warranty seems to have a similar structure, with the first 2 years covered by Auto-Trail and years 3 to 5 by MB & G Insurance.

The 10 year “Body Construction Integrity Warranty” is in two parts, with water-ingress problems during the first 5 years being 100% covered by Auto-Trail, and from years 6 to 10 also being covered by Auto-Trail but on a reducing scale.

It’s not unusual for major motorhome appliances (eg. fridge, heater) to have their own warranty and for the terms, conditions and duration of those warranties to differ from the motorhome manufacturer’s. I don’t know if that’s the case with Auto-Trail though.

Thanks very much Derek - your post will be useful to a good number of AT owners for sure. I certainly wasn't aware of the potential of some items to have their own separate warranties/T&Cs so thanks for the heads up.

I'll be sure to buy the first bottle of red if we ever bump into each other on a meet/camp site ;-)

All the best,

Andrew

Inevitably, not all are represented in the UK market, though this changes from time to time, and I don't pretend to monitor who is acting as UK agent for which continental marque. So, I shall merely headline these 12 models, with a side note as to whether I think there may be a UK dealership.

Prices quoted are claimed to be on the road in France, but should give some idea of comparative costs. The vans are:

Rapido Intégral 9094 dF: (UK Rapido dealers). 7.39M long, 3,500kg MAM, 680kg payload. €4,500.

Hi Brian, I've been through your list and I quite like the style and the layout of the Rapido 9094 above. You've quoted €4,500 for the price (I'll take 10 please :D ) but do you know which number is missing.

I've also been in touch with my pal who imports vehicles from/to all over the world so I await a response from him. I'll post-up his advice when I receive it.

Very best,

Andrew

Bop - 2017-02-12 12:46 PM

Hi Brian, I've been through your list and I quite like the style and the layout of the Rapido 9094 above. You've quoted €4,500 for the price (I'll take 10 please :D ) but do you know which number is missing...

Andrew

The list-price in France of a 2017 Rapido 9094DF is €81600, but that’s for a ‘basic’ LHD model with 130PS motor. A UK-specification RHD version with desirable extras and purchased from a UK Rapido dealership will be priced over £80000 (examples below)

http://www.brownhills.co.uk/18622-fiat-rapido-9094df-design-edition-180bhp.html

http://www.highbridgecaravans.co.uk/products/motorhomes/HCCQF33436/2017-rapido-serie-90-9094df

Purchasing a motorhome abroad and ‘self importing’ the vehicle has financial, insurance and legality implications that need to be borne in mind. For instance, if you chose to buy a new LHD Rapido from a French dealer you would not be able to register nor insure the vehicle in France and you’d then need to get the vehicle from the French dealership to your home in Durham. And would you really want a LHD motothome if most of your touring is to be in Scotland?

Inevitably, not all are represented in the UK market, though this changes from time to time, and I don't pretend to monitor who is acting as UK agent for which continental marque. So, I shall merely headline these 12 models, with a side note as to whether I think there may be a UK dealership.

Prices quoted are claimed to be on the road in France, but should give some idea of comparative costs. The vans are:

Rapido Intégral 9094 dF: (UK Rapido dealers). 7.39M long, 3,500kg MAM, 680kg payload. €4,500.

Hi Brian, I've been through your list and I quite like the style and the layout of the Rapido 9094 above. You've quoted €4,500 for the price (I'll take 10 please :D ) but do you know which number is missing.

I've also been in touch with my pal who imports vehicles from/to all over the world so I await a response from him. I'll post-up his advice when I receive it.

Very best,

Andrew

Apologies Andrew, typo I missed! Correct price, on same basis as my post, is €74,500. If considering importing, it would be wise to first check the reception you might get at UK dealers if you presented them with a LHD personal import.

Nearest to You are Spinney in Cheshire, and Brownhills in Newark, Notts. The UK dealer who seems to win the greatest plaudits, and who seems to have the best liaison with the Rapido factory in Mayenne is French owned, by Raclet, at Wokingham, Surrey, Wokingham Motorhomes.

In France, I assume you'd want a dealer near one of the Channel ports. Opale Evasion, near Le Touquet is nearest Calais (and has some past experience of preparing vans for export to UK), Pierre, at Boos, is nearest Le Havre and/or Dieppe, but being south of Rouen, is not that handy for either port, Jaqueline has branches at La Glacerie, just outside Cherbourg, and just west of Caen, so not too far from Ouistreham, Bonjour Caravaning has branches at Coetmieux and Orgeres (just south of Rennes) approximately equidistant from St Malo, and Britways has branches at Lannion and Ploudaniel, approximately equidistant from Roscoff.

I would advise against importing yourself, as you will, as Derek advises, run into insurance problems. You can't get temporary export insurance in France, and no UK insurer will cover the vehicle until it is on UK soil. Using a professional to make the necessary import arrangements, handle UK registration, and then deliver will be much simpler, and more secure. Whether that will prove cheaper than ordering LHD from a UK dealer I know not - it will depend on the discount a French dealer will give, and to some extent on the prevailing exchange rate at the time. Ultimately, there may be nothing in it. I'd suggest ringing around the UK dealers to see what they can offer. I'm pretty sure Wokingham have brought over LHD vans in the past, but have no idea how the price might compare with the RHD equivalent.

Do bear in mind that if you gat a LHD van it will be worth less in UK than its RHD equivalent, so you need a good discount on the RHD price in UK to make that worthwhile.

The wild card might be to source in Germany, as they have to compete head to head with Hymer etc, and Hymer dealers discount deeply. To sell against Hymer, Niesmann, TEC, etc. it would seem Rapido they would have to offer similar discounts. Have a look on here http://tinyurl.com/6ap65zo to get an idea of what is on offer. It's an excellent site for German dealerships. However, personally, I'd stick to a specialist importer. Have you thought of trying Bundesvan, http://tinyurl.com/le9sbju for example?

Brian Kirby - 2017-02-13 1:21 PM

Very best,

Andrew

Apologies Andrew, typo I missed! Correct price, on same basis as my post, is €74,500. If considering importing, it would be wise to first check the reception you might get at UK dealers if you presented them with a LHD personal import.

Nearest to You are Spinney in Cheshire, and Brownhills in Newark, Notts. The UK dealer who seems to win the greatest plaudits, and who seems to have the best liaison with the Rapido factory in Mayenne is French owned, by Raclet, at Wokingham, Surrey, Wokingham Motorhomes.

In France, I assume you'd want a dealer near one of the Channel ports. Opale Evasion, near Le Touquet is nearest Calais (and has some past experience of preparing vans for export to UK), Pierre, at Boos, is nearest Le Havre and/or Dieppe, but being south of Rouen, is not that handy for either port, Jaqueline has branches at La Glacerie, just outside Cherbourg, and just west of Caen, so not too far from Ouistreham, Bonjour Caravaning has branches at Coetmieux and Orgeres (just south of Rennes) approximately equidistant from St Malo, and Britways has branches at Lannion and Ploudaniel, approximately equidistant from Roscoff.

I would advise against importing yourself, as you will, as Derek advises, run into insurance problems. You can't get temporary export insurance in France, and no UK insurer will cover the vehicle until it is on UK soil. Using a professional to make the necessary import arrangements, handle UK registration, and then deliver will be much simpler, and more secure. Whether that will prove cheaper than ordering LHD from a UK dealer I know not - it will depend on the discount a French dealer will give, and to some extent on the prevailing exchange rate at the time. Ultimately, there may be nothing in it. I'd suggest ringing around the UK dealers to see what they can offer. I'm pretty sure Wokingham have brought over LHD vans in the past, but have no idea how the price might compare with the RHD equivalent.

Do bear in mind that if you gat a LHD van it will be worth less in UK than its RHD equivalent, so you need a good discount on the RHD price in UK to make that worthwhile.

The wild card might be to source in Germany, as they have to compete head to head with Hymer etc, and Hymer dealers discount deeply. To sell against Hymer, Niesmann, TEC, etc. it would seem Rapido they would have to offer similar discounts. Have a look on here http://tinyurl.com/6ap65zo to get an idea of what is on offer. It's an excellent site for German dealerships. However, personally, I'd stick to a specialist importer. Have you thought of trying Bundesvan, http://tinyurl.com/le9sbju for example?

Hi Brian - as usual a fantastic bit of info from you - thank you. There are a few points in your post which the missus and I will need to pay particular attention too including the LHD issue and the support of the dealers to such a vehicle. The option of sourcing a MH in Germany is much more practicable to me due to my business connections in the country.

That being said, Mrs Bop and I are going to spend this Saturday traveling down the country to inspect a few other brands of MH. There is not a massive choice here in the NE of England so we'll have to travel if we want to see some variety. The fact that we have so little choice available becomes quite restrictive in terms of selecting the right brand and getting the dealer support to go with it. If I did want to proceed with a UK-sourced Rapido (as an example) then I would have no choice than to travel; this also infers a few potential drawbacks in the future with regards to any warranty and dealer support, etc.

In some ways it seems that anyone that is interested in buying a UK-sourced MH can potentially be severely restricted in their choice of MH by where the dealer is located to their home. This is also another reason why I feel the UK MH Industry could do more for its punters and where an Industry Standard is much needed and well overdue.

In the meantime we have a whole load of thinking to do.....................

Very best, (and thanks again),

Andrew

Forum Pals, et al,

As a footnote:

I was perusing the web (as you do) and I came across this little gem (link below) concerning the Autotrail brand of MH. This is one of several articles found in Motorhome Fun and it was interesting to read the many other AT owners' opinions of their vans.

There is clearly an issue with either the AT-quality or its manufacturers backed warranty so I hope HQ Autotrail picks its game up soon as it seem to be convincing a whole load of motorhomers that its Autotrail products are the best available.

Note: The poor attitude and warranty issues seem to be a recurring problem.

Link:

http://motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/autotrail-water-ingress.50159/

Mike88 - 2017-02-15 11:54 AM

Bop. If you want to travel around to view motorhomes what better place to go than the NEC where manufacturers and dealers are in attendance.

As it happens the show is being held shortly (21-26 February). Link here:

http://www.thenec.co.uk/whats-on/caravan-camping-and-motorhome-show/

Thanks Mike - you're a star for posting that up. Mrs Bop would like nothing better than to change our AT van so the NEC looks like a likely visit for us.

All the best,

Andrew

Archived