Flashing mileometer

Dylan Thomas

Good morning, I am fairly new to motorhoming. We have a 2013 Swift Bolero 712SB with a Fiat Ducato 2.3 150hp engine/cab. Unfortunately, I let the engine and leisure battery run down so that there was no power in either if them. Once I had charged them both up, everything seemed to be working OK, except the mileometer now keeps flashing at me. I have disconnected and reconnected the negative battery lead but it's still flashing. Can anyone help me fix this please. Thank You.

Hello,

The above article does explain how things work very well, even if i do say so myself!

I can go further and tell you that if disconnecting the device for a while or disconnecting the main vehicle battery does not fix this then a procedure needs to be carried out with a suitable diagnostic device and this is called 'proxi-alignment'. This basically resets the body computer and tells it to scan all connected devices to find out what is present and re-learn how to operate these devices.

I had one of these 'flashing mileage' faults a few days ago and initially it would not run the 'proxi-alignment' at all until i unplugged the bluetooth unit and then all went as expected. Plugging the bluetooth device back in again caused the mileage to flash again, so it became obvious that this was faulty. New one on order.

On Euro5 Ducato's, the blue&me is 'built in' and the handbook leads us to expect that it is incorporated in the radio but it is in fact a separate module underneath the radio and can be reached by removing the radio. It's CAN connector in on top and is fairly easy to get at. I would expect that this will be the cause of most CAN faults.

In this particular case, the author of this post should find that a 'proxi-alignment' procedure should solve their problem.

If you have a standard Fiat radio, you need a pair of bog standard twin prong radio removal tools. Push one in to each pair of holes until they click and then push them gently outwards while giving a firm pull towards you.

The bluetooth unit is located under where the radio sits and you can reach in to unplug it without removing it from the vehicle. Lift the latch over the plug and pull upwards.

Archived