water leak past tv aerial

rowlie

It seems to me that whatever is used to seal the leak, the point is being missed that water can run down the INSIDE of a coaxial cable. The centre core is often held in place in a tube with something like spokes but the effect is that there is a chance for water to trickle along the inside of the cable.

If the cable is well sealed on the outside then I would strongly suspect this to be the case - yet something not considered unless you understand the construction of some kinds of coaxial cable.

Mick Bajcar

Mick Bajcar - 2017-05-23 3:10 PM

It seems to me that whatever is used to seal the leak, the point is being missed that water can run down the INSIDE of a coaxial cable. The centre core is often held in place in a tube with something like spokes but the effect is that there is a chance for water to trickle along the inside of the cable.

If the cable is well sealed on the outside then I would strongly suspect this to be the case - yet something not considered unless you understand the construction of some kinds of coaxial cable.

Mick Bajcar

Yes but water should not be reaching the end of the cable to get inside it.

To be serious for a moment, I have read somewhere and I'm damned if I can remember where that the status aerial can leak, ie let water in between the top and bottom joints of the body or disc. This caused water to run down the cable into the van. It was cured by prising the two half's apart applying a sealant (please don't ask what type) and re assembling.

rowlie - 2017-05-21 11:20 AM

I fitted a Status 350 TV aerial and all has been fine until a couple of days ago when we had a torrential downpour. I found that water was leaking down the cable from the aerial into the wardrobe.

Rowlie,

Was it a brand new aerial or a S/H? If new then I think you should contact the seller and ask for a replacement.

I think I have read somewhere before about water entering through the aerial and IIRC the answer was to replace the aerial as it contains electronics and is liable to suffer damage if left full of water.

Keith.

PS I ditched our 'Flying saucer' several years ago so can't go and look at how the halves of the case are joined.

PPS Does it have the plastic 'Tit' screwed into the top or is that possibly missing and leaking?

Are you sure it is comeing down the inside of the cable. I had a similar case but the water was comeing

down the pole. There are O rings and these have probably had it . In my case fitted new areial ,all ok.

Easy job just pay out about £100..00

Rowlie,

I'm a little bit confused, you said you fitted a Status 350 aerial which I assumed to be one of the 'Flying Saucer' style but as Mickt has just mentioned 'O' rings I thought I would Google "Status 350 aerial" only to find that there doesn't actually appear to be a '350'.

So do you possibly have a 315/330 'Flying Saucer' style or a 530/550 Directional 'Wing' style aerial?

The leak paths for the 2 are very different!

Keith.

The aerial was new albeit at a very reduced price as there were cables missing which I have replaced. (The seller was not in the market for ripping me off and if it was faulty then he would not have sold it to me).

I have resealed all the areas that I could see. I have not split the dish which will be the next task if I have not cured it. Only time will tell.

Archived