Manchester Royal Infirmary

Randonneur

Many hospitals have generous concessionary car parking discounts for relatives of seriously ill and longer term patients.

These do not include staying overnight in any car parks which for rather obvious reasons is not allowed, although what they could or would do to stop determined and experienced law breakers and those with a general disrespect for the law and normal standards of decency is not stated!

In addition there is help with travel costs for those on benefits or who can produce evidence of hardship caused by the need to visit the hospital.

I have not looked at Manchester's policy but I would be surprised if no help was available for those who needed it and who acted responsibly within the hospital regulations and the law?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
antony1969 - 2017-09-09 7:18 AM

So if they'd all spent their money on the vans where were they going to stay had they not had the sick relative ???

Dunno - maybe they would have been working and earning money instead of looking after relative?

I am not the one assuming they have money to pay - the ones that are should be able to say why. I am merely pointing out their illogical assumption that because they have spent money on one thing they must have money left to spend on something else.

antony1969 - 2017-09-09 7:18 AM

... Why would making them park off hospital property make them homeless ???

When you say they should be towed away to comply with the law one might naively imagine you might have some idea where they could legally stay elsewhere *-)

I ask again - to those who say tow them away I say where to?

Its a reasonable question isn't it?

Tracker - 2017-09-09 10:35 AM

those with a general disrespect for the law and normal standards of decency is not stated!

Easy for you to say when you have no need to break the law - and a lot to lose from doing so

If you were homeless for instance, got the chance to live illegally in a squat, and had no assets they could take away from you if they took you to court....

Judge not a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes or whatever

John52 - 2017-09-09 12:28 PM

When you say they should be towed away to comply with the law one might naively imagine you might have some idea where they could legally stay elsewhere *-)

I ask again - to those who say tow them away I say where to? Its a reasonable question isn't it?

Outside a certain persons house in "sunny Huddersfield". ;-)

John....I fail to understand your thinking on this one.  So someone who has not the wherewithal to stay legal and pay ones way is justified in breaking the law with impunity just because, as you say, it would in the end be more expensive to enforce the law?  These people 'bought' vans, bought the fuel etc etc so they do have money....they just choose to live beyond the bounds of decent law abiding society.  Seize and crush ....seize and crush.......and stick them on a boat back to Ireland.

Your thinking appears to say the bottom line is money!!  Then surely every homeless person should get up, break the law where and when they like with impunity.
Your logic and consideration of the application of the law is in my opinion completely stark raving bonkers.

RogerC - 2017-09-09 6:06 PM

John....I fail to understand your thinking on this one.  

I guess thats because your military mind sees things in black and white,

when this is shades of grey :-S

You can't just stick them on a boat to Ireland - they were probably born here, British Citizens and the Law you are so keen on gives them right to our overstretched benefit system :-S

Bulletguy - 2017-09-09 4:07 PM

I ask again - to those who say tow them away I say where to? Its a reasonable question isn't it?

Send them ... 5 minutes away in Outlane the newly claimed site of King Arthurs Round Table more filthy gypsy types have bought an expensive piece of land and barricaded themselves in with statics and caravans and waste everywhere ... Local council have said they will get rid but those lovely Irish gypsy scumbag types have been knocking on doors intimidating locals to sign a petition to let them stay ... Lovely people ... I'd say just nuke the whole site with them in it personally , not before inviting some more of our unwanted low lifes to join them before the big bang

John52 - 2017-09-09 6:50 PM

RogerC - 2017-09-09 6:06 PM

John....I fail to understand your thinking on this one.  

I guess thats because your military mind sees things in black and white,

when this is shades of grey :-S

You can't just stick them on a boat to Ireland - they were probably born here, British Citizens and the Law you are so keen on gives them right to our overstretched benefit system :-S

At least you throw your cr3p in a bin and just let the bin emptiers filthy themselves ... This lot throw it anywhere ... Filth

RogerC - 2017-09-09 6:06 PMJohn....I fail to understand your thinking on this one.  
I guess thats because your military mind sees things in black and white, when this is shades of grey :-SYou can't just stick them on a boat to Ireland - they were probably born here, British Citizens and the Law you are so keen on gives them right to our overstretched benefit system :-S

It's not a military mind John it is a 'fair' one.  The actions of the authorities in this instance is one of taking the easy way out......appeasement.  The authorities are not taking an even handed approach to a problem that would, had it been brought about by anyone in 'mainstream' (non  minority group)society it would have been dealt with more robustly.

You say 'probably born here'.....OK lets accept they were....so accepting the 'probable'....they probably have sufficient money to spend on booze as can be seen in the photo so they clearly have their priorities wrong and 'probably' have none left to pay for parking.
If your 'probable' in terms of nationality is proven to be incorrect then what?....pander to foreign nationals sponging off the NHS (because that organisation is too weak in terms of leadership to recover the costs) 'and' turn a blind eye to them breaking our laws in the process?

Sorry John the 'realms of probability' just don't stretch so far as to accommodate an extreme liberal view such as yours appears to be. They clearly have money, clearly are so called travellers, clearly have no respect for the rule of law and civil society and are being pandered to by weak minded liberal, PC authorities.............and look where that got some places of notoriety lately.

antony1969 - 2017-09-09 8:15 PM

Send them ... 5 minutes away in Outlane the newly claimed site of King Arthurs Round Table more filthy gypsy types have bought an expensive piece of land and barricaded themselves in with statics and caravans and waste everywhere ... Local council have said they will get rid but those lovely Irish gypsy scumbag types have been knocking on doors intimidating locals to sign a petition to let them stay ... Lovely people ... I'd say just nuke the whole site with them in it personally , not before inviting some more of our unwanted low lifes to join them before the big bang.

Hhmm........5 minutes away from you eh?

Good thinking on the bib Sherlock.........that gets rid of you at the same time. (lol)

antony1969 - 2017-09-09 8:15 PM

Send them ... 5 minutes away in Outlane the newly claimed site of King Arthurs Round Table more filthy gypsy types have bought an expensive piece of land and barricaded themselves in with statics and caravans and waste everywhere ... Local council have said they will get rid but those lovely Irish gypsy scumbag types have been knocking on doors intimidating locals to sign a petition to let them stay ... Lovely people ... I'd say just nuke the whole site with them in it personally , not before inviting some more of our unwanted low lifes to join them before the big bang

This is the guy who is accusing me of being the keyboard warrior :D

RogerC - 2017-09-09 9:21 PM
RogerC - 2017-09-09 6:06 PMJohn....I fail to understand your thinking on this one.  
I guess thats because your military mind sees things in black and white, when this is shades of grey :-SYou can't just stick them on a boat to Ireland - they were probably born here, British Citizens and the Law you are so keen on gives them right to our overstretched benefit system :-S

It's not a military mind John it is a 'fair' one.  The actions of the authorities in this instance is one of taking the easy way out......appeasement.  The authorities are not taking an even handed approach to a problem that would, had it been brought about by anyone in 'mainstream' (non  minority group)society it would have been dealt with more robustly.

You say 'probably born here'.....OK lets accept they were....so accepting the 'probable'....they probably have sufficient money to spend on booze as can be seen in the photo so they clearly have their priorities wrong and 'probably' have none left to pay for parking.
If your 'probable' in terms of nationality is proven to be incorrect then what?....pander to foreign nationals sponging off the NHS (because that organisation is too weak in terms of leadership to recover the costs) 'and' turn a blind eye to them breaking our laws in the process?

Sorry John the 'realms of probability' just don't stretch so far as to accommodate an extreme liberal view such as yours appears to be. They clearly have money, clearly are so called travellers, clearly have no respect for the rule of law and civil society and are being pandered to by weak minded liberal, PC authorities.............and look where that got some places of notoriety lately.
Whichever side he is on, I guess a soldier has to see his side as 100% right, and the other side as 100% wrong. Otherwise he would fight in a half-hearted way and so he would lose. Generally speaking he doesn't have to deal with the aftermath - like the council would have to deal with the homeless crisis they had created by evicting the travellers.I can see your point about some groups being treated differently though. But thats because they have no assets which can be taken off them in court.The say that when you go to court you either need to be very rich so you can buy justice. Or very poor so there is not much they can take off you. Those of us in the middle are ........... (insert expletive)

Tracker - 2017-09-09 10:35 AM

Many hospitals have generous concessionary car parking discounts for relatives of seriously ill and longer term patients.

These do not include staying overnight in any car parks which for rather obvious reasons is not allowed, although what they could or would do to stop determined and experienced law breakers and those with a general disrespect for the law and normal standards of decency is not stated!

In addition there is help with travel costs for those on benefits or who can produce evidence of hardship caused by the need to visit the hospital.

I have not looked at Manchester's policy but I would be surprised if no help was available for those who needed it and who acted responsibly within the hospital regulations and the law?

Hi,

I wasn't aware of these concessions but I am very glad they exist, there is obviously a difference between attending a clinic for a couple of hours and having to visit somebody twice a day for long periods.

cheers

derek

derek pringle - 2017-09-10 9:20 AM

I wasn't aware of these concessions but I am very glad they exist, there is obviously a difference between attending a clinic for a couple of hours and having to visit somebody twice a day for long periods.

If you google something like 'parking concessions' or 'travel costs help' along with the hospital name something useful should come up but you might have to prod about and search for it as hospitals are not so keen on publcising discounts.

It certainly worked for us and the savings were very worthwhile, but they didn't offer, my wife had to ask.

John52 - 2017-09-10 8:27 AM
RogerC - 2017-09-09 9:21 PM

Whichever side he is on, I guess a soldier has to see his side as 100% right, and the other side as 100% wrong. Otherwise he would fight in a half-hearted way and so he would lose. Generally speaking he doesn't have to deal with the aftermath - like the council would have to deal with the homeless crisis they had created by evicting the travellers.I can see your point about some groups being treated differently though. But thats because they have no assets which can be taken off them in court.The say that when you go to court you either need to be very rich so you can buy justice. Or very poor so there is not much they can take off you. Those of us in the middle are ........... (insert expletive)

So as far as you are concerned those that have no assets that they can be relieved of as punishment for breaking the law are free to do so with impunity?

RogerC - 2017-09-10 12:28 PM

So as far as you are concerned those that have no assets that they can be relieved of as punishment for breaking the law are free to do so with impunity?

Not for serious crimes obviously.

But this thread is just about illegal parking - and adding to the homeless crisis or the prisons crisis by evicting them may not be economic. But then thats another thing the military doesn't have to worry about too much havng the biggest budget in Europe and the likes of Thatcher saying 'spend whats necessary'

The most unequal societies tend to spend the most on the military to stop the have-nots taking from the have's.

What I would like to see is for the Goverment to stop increasing inequality.

If they had assets that could be taken off them they could be fined and hit with outrageous legal costs like the rest of us.

John52 - 2017-09-10 2:05 PM
RogerC - 2017-09-10 12:28 PMSo as far as you are concerned those that have no assets that they can be relieved of as punishment for breaking the law are free to do so with impunity?
Not for serious crimes obviously.But this thread is just about illegal parking - and adding to the homeless crisis or the prisons crisis by evicting them may not be economic. But then thats another thing the military doesn't have to worry about too much havng the biggest budget in Europe and the likes of Thatcher saying 'spend whats necessary'The most unequal societies tend to spend the most on the military to stop the have-nots taking from the have's.What I would like to see is for the Goverment to stop increasing inequality.If they had assets that could be taken off them they could be fined and hit with outrageous legal costs like the rest of us.

Boring boring.  Same old tenuous soapbox pontificating John.. I surrender.  There's clearly no debating with someone who resorts to their age old irrelevances.  Enjoy lala land John....reality will bite you in the backside one day. 

thebishbus - 2017-09-10 7:30 PM

Tell me John, what would you do if they parked on your property and refused to move on when requested ?

A Cambridge woman living in a village of NIMBY's is set to give her 2.5 acres of land away for free to travelers......on condition they ruin the village. Seems she's had enough of the Council and the snooty village neighbours.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/travellers-cambridgeshire-land-racing-live-13573704

She's had enough of this country and leaving anyway......the latest update is she's now had a cash offer......from travelers. :D

RogerC - 2017-09-10 10:01 PM
John52 - 2017-09-10 2:05 PM
RogerC - 2017-09-10 12:28 PMSo as far as you are concerned those that have no assets that they can be relieved of as punishment for breaking the law are free to do so with impunity?
Not for serious crimes obviously.But this thread is just about illegal parking - and adding to the homeless crisis or the prisons crisis by evicting them may not be economic. But then thats another thing the military doesn't have to worry about too much havng the biggest budget in Europe and the likes of Thatcher saying 'spend whats necessary'The most unequal societies tend to spend the most on the military to stop the have-nots taking from the have's.What I would like to see is for the Goverment to stop increasing inequality.If they had assets that could be taken off them they could be fined and hit with outrageous legal costs like the rest of us.

Boring boring.  Same old tenuous soapbox pontificating John.. I surrender.  There's clearly no debating with someone who resorts to their age old irrelevances.  Enjoy lala land John....reality will bite you in the backside one day. 
“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair

Tell me John, what would you do if they parked on your property and refused to move on when requested ?

Brian B.

Would depend on the circumstances. Back to topic they are on public property. Remarkable some people get upset about them taking up a few square metres to live on when Balmoral alone is twice the size of Manchester.

Bulletguy - 2017-09-10 10:29 PM

A Cambridge woman living in a village of NIMBY's is set to give her 2.5 acres of land away for free to travelers......on condition they ruin the village. Seems she's had enough of the Council and the snooty village neighbours.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/travellers-cambridgeshire-land-racing-live-13573704

She's had enough of this country and leaving anyway......the latest update is she's now had a cash offer......from travelers. :D

On the one hand she is quoted as saying the travellers are 'very nice'

Then she is quoted as saying she 'hopes they ruin the village'

I can only speak from my own experience. I have met many travellers but never felt intimidated by them.

I probably wouldn't hire them to tarmac my drive, but con-men aren't confined to travellers!!

Wheras I have never felt more intimidated in all my life than when I was innocently walking near the vast Balmoral Estate and accosted by Her Unelected Majesty's gun toting thugs Maybe the same people who would deny their own class a tiny space to park their home on :-(

John52 - 2017-09-11 10:06 AM

Wheras I have never felt more intimidated in all my life than when I was innocently walking near the vast Balmoral Estate and accosted by Her Unelected Majesty's gun toting thugs

We used to live near Sandringham and we and our lunatic border collie used to roam the extensive woodlands 'owned' by HM. On a couple of occasions we were met by obviously armed but plain clothed men who were always extremely courteous in asking us not to go in whatever direction they deemed to be too close. There was never any thuggery or threats, just pleasant requests, although I can imagine that had we chosen to argue the mood would quickly have changed.

If that Cambridgeshire woman's story is true and not a media fabrication or distortion then you do have to wonder about the sanity of anyone who sets out to destroy a village and it's way of life because she has a gripe with the council or some of the village residents. Glad she does not live near me!!

Archived