Manchester Royal Infirmary

Randonneur

Tracker - 2017-09-11 10:14 AM

John52 - 2017-09-11 10:06 AM

Wheras I have never felt more intimidated in all my life than when I was innocently walking near the vast Balmoral Estate and accosted by Her Unelected Majesty's gun toting thugs

We used to live near Sandringham and we and our lunatic border collie used to roam the extensive woodlands 'owned' by HM. On a couple of occasions we were met by obviously armed but plain clothed men who were always extremely courteous in asking us not to go in whatever direction they deemed to be too close. There was never any thuggery or threats, just pleasant requests, although I can imagine that had we chosen to argue the mood would quickly have changed.

If that Cambridgeshire woman's story is true and not a media fabrication or distortion then you do have to wonder about the sanity of anyone who sets out to destroy a village and it's way of life because she has a gripe with the council or some of the village residents. Glad she does not live near me!!

I understand Balmoral is just for a summer holiday and Sandringham for Christmas holdays? - perhaps they are in a better mood at Christmas :-S

If the Cambridgeshire woman has been trying to improve her business and make a living, I can understand her getting annoyed with selfish nimbys blocking her planning permission when all they seem to think about is how might this affect ME.

Maybe her comment about hoping the travellers ruin the village was an ill judged off the cuff remark made out of understandable annoyance with the selfish village nimbys?

Or maybe she is hoping to get them to buy her land to prevent it?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
John52 - 2017-09-11 12:17 AM
RogerC - 2017-09-10 10:01 PM
John52 - 2017-09-10 2:05 PM
RogerC - 2017-09-10 12:28 PMSo as far as you are concerned those that have no assets that they can be relieved of as punishment for breaking the law are free to do so with impunity?
Not for serious crimes obviously.But this thread is just about illegal parking - and adding to the homeless crisis or the prisons crisis by evicting them may not be economic. But then thats another thing the military doesn't have to worry about too much havng the biggest budget in Europe and the likes of Thatcher saying 'spend whats necessary'The most unequal societies tend to spend the most on the military to stop the have-nots taking from the have's.What I would like to see is for the Goverment to stop increasing inequality.If they had assets that could be taken off them they could be fined and hit with outrageous legal costs like the rest of us.

Boring boring.  Same old tenuous soapbox pontificating John.. I surrender.  There's clearly no debating with someone who resorts to their age old irrelevances.  Enjoy lala land John....reality will bite you in the backside one day. 
It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair

Being happily retired a number of years what salary would that be then?  Clearly your presumptuous comment doesn't apply to me.

John52 - 2017-09-13 11:20 AMI was thinking of those defending an unelected hereditary head of state who takes twice the area of Manchester for just one of her holiday homes.Whilst demanding their own class have their tiny home dragged off its patch of car park and crushed :-(

Boringly predictable reversion to the sad old whining.

Most of HM's estates are largely open to public access, mostly free, as is parking, and I trust the Royal Family to look afer this public access land far more than I would the National Trust who would probably charge exhorbitant fees both to park and to wander.

Any local authority 'owning' the land might well see it as a cash cow ready to be milked, or an asset where parts of it can be sold off for gain and for 'sympathetic' development, and I certainly would not trust any local authority regardless of political bias.

In the modern world where so much hatred and jealousy abounds from all directions you have to accept the limtations of access, especially when the royals are in residence and I can see, but not understand, why some people resent even those limitations.

It is reassuring to know that long after we are gone, these parks and woodlands will still be more or less as they are now, as they have been for hundreds of years and I for one like that kind of continuity.

RogerC - 2017-09-13 2:25 PM
John52 - 2017-09-13 11:20 AMI was thinking of those defending an unelected hereditary head of state who takes twice the area of Manchester for just one of her holiday homes.Whilst demanding their own class have their tiny home dragged off its patch of car park and crushed :-(

Boringly predictable reversion to the sad old whining.

I'm doing alright - but I still care about those who aren't

Tracker - 2017-09-13 2:35 PM

Any local authority 'owning' the land might well see it as a cash cow ready to be milked, or an asset where parts of it can be sold off for gain and for 'sympathetic' development, and I certainly would not trust any local authority regardless of political bias.

Most local authorities are struggling with the housing crisis - so yes might be inclned to develop some of these vast underused areas of land into desperately needed homes for the homeless

John52 - 2017-09-13 2:49 PM

I don't much care about others but I do accept that a disproportionately large slice of the taxation I pay goes to support them rightly in some cases and wrongly in others, instead of supporting my generation that spent so much time and effort paying for the country we like to call home..

I started with nothing and despite a knock back or two throughout my working life that saw me again start from scratch I have never taken a penny in benefits, apart from the state pension that I paid into for many years, and that I am rather proud of.

Anyone is free to get off their backsides and build a life rather than sit on their backsides and let the rest of us pay them to do sod all.

The only exceptions being those physically unable to think and work to build their own future and they, it often seems to me, deserve a lot more help and support than they get as it could just as easy be me or you.

Tracker - 2017-09-13 3:04 PM

John52 - 2017-09-13 2:49 PM

I don't much care about others but I do accept that a disproportionately large slice of the taxation I pay goes to support them rightly in some cases and wrongly in others, instead of supporting my generation that spent so much time and effort paying for the country we like to call home..

I started with nothing and despite a knock back or two throughout my working life that saw me again start from scratch I have never taken a penny in benefits, apart from the state pension that I paid into for many years, and that I am rather proud of.

Anyone is free to get off their backsides and build a life rather than sit on their backsides and let the rest of us pay them to do sod all.

The only exceptions being those physically unable to think and work to build their own future and they, it often seems to me, deserve a lot more help and support than they get as it could just as easy be me or you.

It wasn't so difficult for us because there was more employment, council housing etc and wages covered rents. Most of those claiming housing benefit now are working. The extra taxes we pay for benefits have gone to inflate property prices, thanks to Government restricting the supply - or handing planning decisions to nimbys to do it for them.

This is what its like claiming benefits https://www.theguardian.com/public-leaders-network/2017/sep/09/jobcentre-dwp-compassion-young-people-homeless-charity-social-services

In the comments section I read of a 17 year old girl with learning difficulties given an appointment for 13.00pm She thought that was 3 o clock in the afternoon, turned up 2 hours late and had her benefit sanctioned (stopped) for 6 weeks.

It could be argued that successive governments have given progressively more and more away in benefits and housing subsidies in their attempts to 'eradicate poverty' as they like to call it, or as vote catchers as I see it.

This has in turn led to a buy to rent house price escalation, allied to a rent cost escalation, in which only the estate agents, mortgage lenders and landlords benefit because whatever they want to charge someone will pay using their free subsidies and all that does is push up rents.

The chronoic shortage of social housing brought about by the badly handled sell off of council houses followed by many years of failure of successive governments to find the funding to build more just compounds the misery.

Why do we have to pay benefits and provide housing to those who have contributed nothing?

On balance I have to agree, I'm happy to be the age I am!

Tracker - 2017-09-13 5:29 PM

Why do we have to pay benefits and provide housing to those who have contributed nothing?

Because the so called Free Market Government's intervention in the housing market has inflated rents above wages.

(Some of your pension must be derived from property funds which are funded by housing benefit and your taxes - so at least you are getting some of your taxes back.)

It could be argued that successive governments have given progressively more and more away in benefits and housing subsidies in their attempts to 'eradicate poverty' as they like to call it, or as vote catchers as I see it.

This has in turn led to a buy to rent house price escalation, allied to a rent cost escalation, in which only the estate agents, mortgage lenders and landlords benefit because whatever they want to charge someone will pay using their free subsidies and all that does is push up rents.

The chronoic shortage of social housing brought about by the badly handled sell off of council houses followed by many years of failure of successive governments to find the funding to build more just compounds the misery.

On balance I have to agree, I'm happy to be the age I am!

Landlords benefit yes but not to the extent John would have you believe ... So many properties for rent that rents have stayed the same for a long time here in Huddersfield ... Supply outweighs demand here ... My rent hasn't gone up since I can remember ... Regarding those who contribute nothing , they deserve nothing

This has in turn led to a buy to rent house price escalation, !

At the risk of stating the obvious the solution to a housing shortage is to allow more housebuilding.

But the Government prefers to throw our taxpayers money at the housding market whilst restricting supply to force up prices for the benefit of landowners in Government.

It isn't QE or low interest rates, because that didn't increase the price of consumer goods because production of those was not restricted by HM Government.

When they increase benefits to cover increased rents who really benefits?

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2017-09-14 9:12 AM

antony1969 - 2017-09-13 5:39 PM

. Regarding those who contribute nothing , they deserve nothing

Well some are unable to contribute.

So I don't mind paying the unemployed REASONABLE benefits

But the Royal Family are just taking the p*ss

I wasn't aware that the Royal family were unemployed? :-S .........I'd hate to still be working at 90 8-) ......

pelmetman - 2017-09-14 9:47 AM

I wasn't aware that the Royal family were unemployed? :-S .........I'd hate to still be working at 90 8-) ......

Well if thats work and he doesn't want to do i, thats all the more reason to have an elected hed of state. So they don't have to do it, and we don't have to have them.

Now who can we elect with his tact and diplomacy skills *-)

John52 - 2017-09-14 10:58 AM
pelmetman - 2017-09-14 9:47 AMI wasn't aware that the Royal family were unemployed? :-S .........I'd hate to still be working at 90 8-) ......
Well if thats work and he doesn't want to do i, thats all the more reason to have an elected hed of state. So they don't have to do it, and we don't have to have them.Now who can we elect with his tact and diplomacy skills *-)
https://www.askideas.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Obsession-is-the-single-most-wasteful-human-activity-because-with-an-obsession-you-keep-coming-back-and-back-and-back-to-the-same-question-and-never-get-...-Norman-Mailer.png

• 2 weeks later...
RogerC - 2017-09-14 2:27 PM

John52 - 2017-09-14 10:58 AM
pelmetman - 2017-09-14 9:47 AMI wasn't aware that the Royal family were unemployed? :-S .........I'd hate to still be working at 90 8-) ......
Well if thats work and he doesn't want to do i, thats all the more reason to have an elected hed of state. So they don't have to do it, and we don't have to have them.Now who can we elect with his tact and diplomacy skills *-)
https://www.askideas.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Obsession-is-the-single-most-wasteful-human-activity-because-with-an-obsession-you-keep-coming-back-and-back-and-back-to-the-same-question-and-never-get-...-Norman-Mailer.png

Norman Mailer can't stand for election since he is dead ;-)

Archived