generator for motorhome its a minefield

ernst

Grumpyman - 2020-11-13 8:58 PM

They're a pain in the backside if you are on a site. I had a slight difference of opinion on a site in Scotland once. The comment from the owner was I won't be able to watch the television. The warden then became involved who told them to move further away or turn it off.

I wouldn't use it on a site. Generally with wild camping especially now, there will be no neighbours to annoy. I did stay on a site in Sanlucar de Barrameda in Manzanilla country, that had only a few electricity points. Most pitches had no hookup and were mainly occupied mainly by Germans' most of whom must have been regulars because they mostly had generators, but were all very good and disciplined, only charging for a couple of hours at the same time. I am generally OK, can run for 4 days without a charge.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Zydeco Joe - 2020-11-14 12:32 AM

Never a good time to run a generator. A second battery is the way to go to save any chance of agro.

Eh, wild camping? No neighbours for 20 km. Already have extra batteries but in Europe right now virtually no serviced sites open anywhere? I would never annoy a site, but these are the end of times with MH isolation in the wild.

spirou - 2020-11-14 4:02 AM

curdle - 2020-11-13 1:12 PM

Do you have a link to the report? If not, do you know if the police were agitating for him to move on?

It's in a private FB group, in a language you likely don't understand ;-)

FB? I speak 5 languages?

Derek Uzzell - 2020-11-13 4:09 PM

As Allan Evans said on this aandncaravanservices webpage

http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/generators.php

A proper 230v Generator would almost always be connected via the mains 240v EHU socket

and that’s been how the (albeit few - Thank God!) portable generatorsI I’ve seen used with motorhomes have been connected to the vehicle.

I am sure that I am amongst many, to miss his Sage advice

I have a Generator, and have had for better than 25 Years. The first a "first gen" Honda 700W, was sufficient to run Medical equipment, Charge a Mobility scooter, and top up batteries. It went into part time hibernation for 10 years when we acquired our first American R-V. I have always had more that one Battery pack. (The R-V had 6 + 400W of solar into a 2Kw Inverter) and a 4KW LPG gen-set.

Sadly, I am now weight restricted because of the stupidity of the UK driving licence system and blatant ageism. So we manage with 2 Batt`s and 2Kw of solar. But I recently had to swap out the little 700W for a 2Kw to run when we are "Off Grid", as the 700 no longer copes with our needs, fortunately it can travel in the boot of the toad, and as such does not affect my M-H weight!. I try as far as is practical to use it at "sensible" times and would never consider using it if EHU was available. But when it is needed, it IS needed, and could be critical.

Without it we would have to seriously consider selling, and just "Wait for God"!.

@ PeteH "But when it is needed, it IS needed, and could be critical. "

I assume you are using it to run stuff rather than just charge your batteries? This payload thing is a real problem. I upgraded my vehicle from 3500kg to 4050kg because I realised that the manufacturer quoted payload figures were ludicrous in real world circumstances. I feel your pain on this, I am only a few years off and wasting that shortened time with Covid!

Archived