A 'How To' Guide on Downloading POIs for SatNav

Way2Go

Way2Go - 2010-08-10 9:55 PM

Wouldn't have a clue I'm afraid, never heard of a Becker.

Most of us go for TomTom or Garmin because they are 'mainstream' and you can customise them very easily.  You can also get a lot of help on here.

Your best bet is to do a search on the internet or email/phone them.

Sorry.

W2G

Thanks for the post. The company is Harman/Becker Automotive Systems GmbH - www.becker.de - it covers Great Britain/Ireland/East and West Europe. I have recently bought an up-date from Navtech Holland so perhaps that is the way to go, I have been really pleased with it since I bought it in 2007. If you check the website the info is all there. Regards, B-)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

we have a tomtom go720. We have tried on several occations to join the map update yearly service but when trying the site it only gives us the option to purchase new maps.

We have map 7 and when we can get incontact with tomtom they say 7 and above we can get the updates ?.

Has any succeeded in getting the 1/4 yearly updates and know how we can get them without having to buy new mapping.

can maps and updates be transfered from tomtom devices ?.

Thank you in advance for any ones help.

we have a tomtom go720. We have tried on several occations to join the map update yearly service but when trying the site it only gives us the option to purchase new maps.

We have map 7 and when we can get incontact with tomtom they say 7 and above we can get the updates ?.

Has any succeeded in getting the 1/4 yearly updates and know how we can get them without having to buy new mapping.

can maps and updates be transfered from tomtom devices ?.

Thank you in advance for any ones help.

• 2 months later...
bigal - 2010-08-10 1:20 PM

Hello to all you technophobes, I have a Becker 7916 Pro SatNav and would love to add some POIs, Height Restrictions etc info but all the advice seems to centre on Tom-Tom and Garmin. My Becker uses Navtech technology and I just wondered if any of the suggestions on up-dating would be compatible with that system. Being an old fella I am not as au fair with all this new stuff as perhaps I should be although I must say I agree with Moms post above and my Becker has taken us to Poland and points in between very successfully over the last few years, it has also put off the divorce talks which were pending from time to time with the navigator :-D If I wish to know anything regarding the computer I can ask my grandsons, Sat-Navs are a different matter, it aint easy when your daft !!

;-) B-)

All SatNavs use POI files with a set file suffix ie .csv or .ov2, etc. Each SatNav manufacturer uses a different suffix. If you can convert one suffix into another suffix then, in theory, you can use any POI file designed for one SatNav to be used by any other manufacturer.

POI Edit is a free download which very simply accomplishes this transformation

http://www.poiedit.com/

Your grandsons will be able to show you how it works.

• 1 year later...
Hi can you help i have downloaded camperstop.com data on stopovers for motorhomes,they are now on my pc,i want to put them on my garmin 1490,the book camperstop 2012,say it should go in you poi,click on motorhome facilities search for a site and click go,in my poi it just says campsites and camping,i have downloaded garmin poi loader but still cannot get them to transfer,i have paid and downloaded france,spain and portugal,and uk and ireland,john

Try "Where to", then "Extras", and see what shows there. It is where you will find all your custom POIs, if POI loader has transferred them. It may be that they did not transfer, and that may be because your Nuvi has insufficient memory for them all. On the whole, for this reason, it is preferable to install an SD (or mini SD as appropriate) card to your Nuvi and store POIs on that, as this leave the maximum free memory on the Nuvi. When POI loader identifies your Nuvi, it will also identify an installed SD card and give you the option to save to that.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Further to the post above, the instructions in the referenced post point out that this is for IGO8-based devices.

Following an exchange of PMs and data, it would appear that the POIs can, with slighlty different editing to that required for IGO8 (but using the same principles), be successfully used for IGO Primo devices also.

When I have a little time, I'll update the instructions. ;-)

• 1 year later...

Mike,

Well it was 7 years ago!!! And to the day I might add!

The OP, Way2Go, is still an active user, although hasn't logged on since just before Christmas, so if you send him a PM (the button below his name on the first post) he may reply to you and let you know if the download is still available.

Keith.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 years later...