Brexit Leverage

StuartO

Barryd999 - 2017-11-19 8:54 PM

antony1969 - 2017-11-19 8:30 PM

Barryd999 - 2017-11-19 4:05 PM

antony1969 - 2017-11-19 12:23 PM

Barryd999 - 2017-11-19 12:05 PM

The Brexiteers like to talk about "Falling back on WTO rules" like its dead simple. We just carry on the next day after we leave and everything will be fine. The facts are that its not that simple. Britain is already a member of the WTO but its membership and WTO schedules are "bundled" with our EU Membership! We never set them up.

Sorting out our own membership schedules will require further negotiations with the EU and all the other WTO countries "Re-establishing the UK’s WTO status in its own right means both the UK and the EU would negotiate simultaneously with the rest of the WTO’s members to extract their separate membership terms. Agreement on the UK’s terms is unlikely before those of the EU.

For its part, the UK would have to negotiate with the EU itself, the US, China, Russia, India, Brazil, and any trading nation or group of nations that matters, large or small, rich or poor. It would only take one objection to hold up the talks because the WTO operates by consensus, not voting, one reason why WTO negotiations take so long." Ref: http://www.ictsd.org/opinion/nothing-simple-about-uk-regaining-wto-status-post-brexit

More info here https://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2017/01/economist-explains-4

Its typical of the Brexiteers attitude that "It will be alright on the night"! The Irish Prime Minister was spot on with his comments about those that were behind Brexit that have been agitating it for ten years but they clearly haven't thought it through!.

Leaving the Single Market and Customs Union is just Bat Sh1t Crazy. Everyone can see it, everyone that hasnt got Brexit Tunnel vision of course.

Whats hard to get ... In 1973 the year we joined the EU share of world economic output with eight members was 31% ... Today its 17% with 28 members ... Is that not a signal the EU is a shrinking significance and we need to go out into the big bad world where we survived for long enough without being a member and where other nations get along just nicely thankyou ... I don't think its Brexit voters that have tunnel vision

Well whether you subscribe to the belief that the grass is greener and there is a whole host of countries eager to do business with us (on the other side of the world) or not Europe is still the biggest trading bloc in the world and its 22 miles away. We are set up to be part of that trading machine. Why would anyone want to not be part of the single Market and the customs Union? It makes no sense at all whatsoever. In 1973 we were the basket case of Europe and now look at us.

I dont see anything on the horizon thats going to be as good as what we have right now. What have we got waiting for us? Dealing with the USA? Dont make me laugh. If you think the EU was bad wait till your pal Trump and his pals get stuck into a Desperate UK. India? Maybe, as long as they can have free movement of people. 8-)

Why ... With your insider information regarding my pal POTUS Trump what is he going to do to this supposedly "Desperate UK" ???

Make us eat Evil Chicken. :'(

You already do without realising it ... Halal

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Barryd999 - 2017-11-19 12:05 PMThe Brexiteers like to talk about "Falling back on WTO rules" like its dead simple. We just carry on the next day after we leave and everything will be fine. The facts are that its not that simple. Britain is already a member of the WTO but its membership and WTO schedules are "bundled" with our EU Membership! We never set them up.Sorting out our own membership schedules will require further negotiations with the EU and all the other WTO countries "Re-establishing the UK’s WTO status in its own right means both the UK and the EU would negotiate simultaneously with the rest of the WTO’s members to extract their separate membership terms. Agreement on the UK’s terms is unlikely before those of the EU.For its part, the UK would have to negotiate with the EU itself, the US, China, Russia, India, Brazil, and any trading nation or group of nations that matters, large or small, rich or poor. It would only take one objection to hold up the talks because the WTO operates by consensus, not voting, one reason why WTO negotiations take so long." Ref: http://www.ictsd.org/opinion/nothing-simple-about-uk-regaining-wto-status-post-brexitMore info here https://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2017/01/economist-explains-4Its typical of the Brexiteers attitude that "It will be alright on the night"! The Irish Prime Minister was spot on with his comments about those that were behind Brexit that have been agitating it for ten years but they clearly haven't thought it through!. Leaving the Single Market and Customs Union is just Bat Sh1t Crazy. Everyone can see it, everyone that hasnt got Brexit Tunnel vision of course.
Whats hard to get ... In 1973 the year we joined the EU share of world economic output with eight members was 31% ... Today its 17% with 28 members ... Is that not a signal the EU is a shrinking significance and we need to go out into the big bad world where we survived for long enough without being a member and where other nations get along just nicely thankyou ... I don't think its Brexit voters that have tunnel vision
Well whether you subscribe to the belief that the grass is greener and there is a whole host of countries eager to do business with us (on the other side of the world) or not Europe is still the biggest trading bloc in the world and its 22 miles away. We are set up to be part of that trading machine. Why would anyone want to not be part of the single Market and the customs Union? It makes no sense at all whatsoever. In 1973 we were the basket case of Europe and now look at us.I dont see anything on the horizon thats going to be as good as what we have right now. What have we got waiting for us? Dealing with the USA? Dont make me laugh. If you think the EU was bad wait till your pal Trump and his pals get stuck into a Desperate UK. India? Maybe, as long as they can have free movement of people. 8-)

That is as maybe BUT it's leadership tells us who we can trade with which is, IMO, not a very good demonstration of democracy in action.
Strangely since the Brexit vote to leave the EU minions have been scattered to the four winds by the 'self serving' spiteful mandarins to tie up trade deals with countries they had previously 'neglected' because they want to give the UK a slap for daring to decide to leave their 'self interested' club.

The Brexiteers like to talk about "Falling back on WTO rules" like its dead simple. We just carry on the next day after we leave and everything will be fine. The facts are that its not that simple. Britain is already a member of the WTO but its membership and WTO schedules are "bundled" with our EU Membership! We never set them up.

Sorting out our own membership schedules will require further negotiations with the EU and all the other WTO countries "Re-establishing the UK’s WTO status in its own right means both the UK and the EU would negotiate simultaneously with the rest of the WTO’s members to extract their separate membership terms. Agreement on the UK’s terms is unlikely before those of the EU.

For its part, the UK would have to negotiate with the EU itself, the US, China, Russia, India, Brazil, and any trading nation or group of nations that matters, large or small, rich or poor. It would only take one objection to hold up the talks because the WTO operates by consensus, not voting, one reason why WTO negotiations take so long." Ref: http://www.ictsd.org/opinion/nothing-simple-about-uk-regaining-wto-status-post-brexit

More info here https://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2017/01/economist-explains-4

Its typical of the Brexiteers attitude that "It will be alright on the night"! The Irish Prime Minister was spot on with his comments about those that were behind Brexit that have been agitating it for ten years but they clearly haven't thought it through!.

Leaving the Single Market and Customs Union is just Bat Sh1t Crazy. Everyone can see it, everyone that hasnt got Brexit Tunnel vision of course.

Well whether you subscribe to the belief that the grass is greener and there is a whole host of countries eager to do business with us (on the other side of the world) or not Europe is still the biggest trading bloc in the world and its 22 miles away. We are set up to be part of that trading machine. Why would anyone want to not be part of the single Market and the customs Union? It makes no sense at all whatsoever. In 1973 we were the basket case of Europe and now look at us.

I dont see anything on the horizon thats going to be as good as what we have right now. What have we got waiting for us? Dealing with the USA? Dont make me laugh. If you think the EU was bad wait till your pal Trump and his pals get stuck into a Desperate UK. India? Maybe, as long as they can have free movement of people. 8-)

Why ... With your insider information regarding my pal POTUS Trump what is he going to do to this supposedly "Desperate UK" ???

Too late i'm afraid. The US invaded UK with their overpriced junk food years ago with KFC, Maccy D and Burger King sh*te.

Bulletguy - 2017-11-19 10:37 PM

Too late i'm afraid. The US invaded UK with their overpriced junk food years ago with KFC, Maccy D and Burger King sh*te.

I thought the "sh$te" you mention is 100% beef and chicken from those places ? ... Not a fan myself I would rather make my own just like I prefer to make my own curries as you certainly don't know what's going into those things or the conditions of the kitchens at your local takeaway do ya ?

antony1969 - 2017-11-20 9:42 AM

I thought the "sh$te" you mention is 100% beef and chicken from those places ? ... Not a fan myself I would rather make my own just like I prefer to make my own curries as you certainly don't know what's going into those things or the conditions of the kitchens at your local takeaway do ya ?

Anyone in the food business selling to the public will have cleaner kitchens than yours.......assuming they want to stay in business. Regularly inspected by FSA who have powers to shut down any business not complying with hygiene laws. And if you "don't know what goes into those things" as you put it, then open your eyes and look. Both my Chinese take-away and chip shop have open kitchens so customers can see the ingredients being used. And if you can't see.....ask.

Worth mentioning, my village chippy actually did get shut down 20 years ago as it was an absolute junk tip. Owned and run by a bone idle Brit so half the time it wasn't even open, but worse still it was filthy. I only ever went in once and that was enough but finally he was closed down for good.

Premises got snapped up by a hard working Greek guy who ripped everything out......including the wall tiles. Spent a fortune having the whole exterior and interior completely rebuilt with brand new 4 fryer range, hot plate griddle, kebab rotisserie, peeler, chipper and stainless prep tables. Open six and a half days a week and doing damn good trade now. Oh and it's still as immaculate and spotlessly clean as the day he first opened for business.

Talk about topic off on a mindless ramble............. first we have our resident 'tangential' poster off one one about 'lard' and then we have the international relations post covering lazy Brit chippie owners and hard working Greeks into the mix.  

I have to ask where does this relate to Brexit?  Surely even in the most committed (hehe interesting connotations there) Remainer must have difficulty relating either of those comments to the Brexit issue.

Bulletguy - 2017-11-20 2:45 PM

antony1969 - 2017-11-20 9:42 AM

Anyone in the food business selling to the public will have cleaner kitchens than yours.......assuming they want to stay in business. Regularly inspected by FSA who have powers to shut down any business not complying with hygiene laws. And if you "don't know what goes into those things" as you put it, then open your eyes and look. Both my Chinese take-away and chip shop have open kitchens so customers can see the ingredients being used. And if you can't see.....ask.

Worth mentioning, my village chippy actually did get shut down 20 years ago as it was an absolute junk tip. Owned and run by a bone idle Brit so half the time it wasn't even open, but worse still it was filthy. I only ever went in once and that was enough but finally he was closed down for good.

Premises got snapped up by a hard working Greek guy who ripped everything out......including the wall tiles. Spent a fortune having the whole exterior and interior completely rebuilt with brand new 4 fryer range, hot plate griddle, kebab rotisserie, peeler, chipper and stainless prep tables. Open six and a half days a week and doing damn good trade now. Oh and it's still as immaculate and spotlessly clean as the day he first opened for business.

Given my missus owned her own very successful food establishment for 10 years and now runs another for a charity you can't tell me anything about how clean premises should be ... Our council operate a 1 - 5 hygiene score with 5 being the top score , her score only ever went below 5 once and that was to a temporary 4 as her water boiler broke the day before inspection ... Regarding your open kitchens you can see them making the pre-prepared food when the shop is shut I presume and see into all store cupboards and the labelling on food and look in the fridges and freezers ??? ... A local curry takeaway I used to go to years ago had an open kitchen too and back then I would buy from them but one night while eating a chicken bhuna I thought the the chicken felt a bit tough so spat it out to reveal a plaster , so much for open kitchens ... You ignored my question about why the Yank food is sh$te as you put it also

Guest pelmetman

The only restaurant in our town that's been shut down recently, because of hygiene contraventions was a Indian ;-) .........

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2017-11-20 12:47 PM

Unless the law has changed, you can legally sell half a pound of lard as '100% pork'.

Seeing as lard is rendered pig fat.......how else would you describe it? :-S .......

pelmetman - 2017-11-20 3:31 PM

The only restaurant in our town that's been shut down recently, because of hygiene contraventions was a Indian ;-) .........

Prolly not an Indian restaurant as such but an Indian run by Pakistanis or Bangladesh folk as most in the UK are ... I don't actually know locally of an Indian restaurant run by Indians ... We have a shop not a million miles away run by a brilliant Indian family and its spotless inside and the nicest , hard working folk you could wish to meet ... You want to go to some of the places Indian restaurant owners by their 'fresh' produce from , I have and trust me you would not like what ya see

The concerns about food and hygiene are because EU law currently bans products such as Chlorine washed chicken or Hormone fed Beef from the likes of the USA and a whole host of other inferior guff they and the other countries outside the EU would gladly sell us.

Once we leave farmers would face stiff competition from this kind of cheap rubbish from countries with lower standards than the UK unless we continue to adhere to the same EU standards and laws that have kept us all from dying of Salmonella and other diseases. We do however in the UK have some of the highest standards of animal welfare in the world and not just the EU but if we are going to see an influx of cheap, substandard and probably dangerous food from the US and God knows where with no EU regulation our home grown stuff will probably end up priced out of the market. As inflation increases and people get poorer as a result of Brexit (which they will) what are they going to opt for? Cheap and suspect or best of British?

Hygiene laws and standards set by the EU for takeaways, restaurants etc have also seen a much more level playing field across Europe in recent years. I eat out a fair bit and get takeaways all over Europe and the standards are pretty good. They have to be now. Lets hope thats something else that doesnt slip if we leave the EU.

Barryd999 - 2017-11-20 5:34 PM

The concerns about food and hygiene are because EU law currently bans products such as Chlorine washed chicken or Hormone fed Beef from the likes of the USA and a whole host of other inferior guff they and the other countries outside the EU would gladly sell us.

Once we leave farmers would face stiff competition from this kind of cheap rubbish from countries with lower standards than the UK unless we continue to adhere to the same EU standards and laws that have kept us all from dying of Salmonella and other diseases. We do however in the UK have some of the highest standards of animal welfare in the world and not just the EU but if we are going to see an influx of cheap, substandard and probably dangerous food from the US and God knows where with no EU regulation our home grown stuff will probably end up priced out of the market. As inflation increases and people get poorer as a result of Brexit (which they will) what are they going to opt for? Cheap and suspect or best of British?

Hygiene laws and standards set by the EU for takeaways, restaurants etc have also seen a much more level playing field across Europe in recent years. I eat out a fair bit and get takeaways all over Europe and the standards are pretty good. They have to be now. Lets hope thats something else that doesnt slip if we leave the EU.

Are you suggesting we will have to buy chlorine washed chicken from the US once we've left the EU for some strange reason ??? 8-) and why would British food business lower any food standards once we've left the EU ... You like a nice doner kebab heated up again and again and again from a takeaway wherever that is ... Not a great advert for food hygiene ... Another wet argument for me

Guest pelmetman

It wont be our standards that slip but theirs *-) ..........

But there again you prolly weren't on the front line getting your ankles kicked by the police during the live exports debacle >:-) ........

Like Sue was :D ......

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2017-11-20 7:03 PM

antony1969 - 2017-11-20 4:42 PM

You want to go to some of the places Indian restaurant owners by their 'fresh' produce from , I have and trust me you would not like what ya see

How is leaving the EU going to improve that *-)

How is staying in going to make a blind bit of difference? >:-) ......

antony1969 - 2017-11-20 3:11 PM

Our council operate a 1 - 5 hygiene score with 5 being the top score.

All do you dummy. It's FSA standard throughout UK. *-)

Regarding your open kitchens you can see them making the pre-prepared food when the shop is shut I presume and see into all store cupboards and the labelling on food and look in the fridges and freezers ??? ...

I thought you said "my missus owned her own very successful food establishment for 10 years"??? Or was it so horrendous you never set foot there? *-)

A local curry takeaway I used to go to years ago had an open kitchen too and back then I would buy from them but one night while eating a chicken bhuna I thought the the chicken felt a bit tough so spat it out to reveal a plaster , so much for open kitchens ... You ignored my question about why the Yank food is sh$te as you put it also.

And.............??? Is that all you did??? Why did you not report the matter??? :-S I'm calling BS on this story!!!

Also it's obvious you have absolutely no idea of what the term 'open kitchen' means....which is odd given your boast of your "missus owning her own successful 'food establishment' for 10 years ". What was it....a fruit 'n veg corner shop? (lol)

Bulletguy - 2017-11-20 11:00 PM

antony1969 - 2017-11-20 3:11 PM

Our council operate a 1 - 5 hygiene score with 5 being the top score.

All do you dummy. It's FSA standard throughout UK. *-)

Regarding your open kitchens you can see them making the pre-prepared food when the shop is shut I presume and see into all store cupboards and the labelling on food and look in the fridges and freezers ??? ...

I thought you said "my missus owned her own very successful food establishment for 10 years"??? Or was it so horrendous you never set foot there? *-)

A local curry takeaway I used to go to years ago had an open kitchen too and back then I would buy from them but one night while eating a chicken bhuna I thought the the chicken felt a bit tough so spat it out to reveal a plaster , so much for open kitchens ... You ignored my question about why the Yank food is sh$te as you put it also.

And.............??? Is that all you did??? Why did you not report the matter??? :-S I'm calling BS on this story!!!

Also it's obvious you have absolutely no idea of what the term 'open kitchen' means....which is odd given your boast of your "missus owning her own successful 'food establishment' for 10 years ". What was it....a fruit 'n veg corner shop? (lol)

Goodness another day another name ... You'll find its the council which my local one is Kirklees that enforces the food hygiene scores on the doors and its the councils staff that come to inspect to enforce the rules as it will be in your area and I never said other councils don't operate such a system wether they are enforcing FSA rules or not did I ??? Your remark about my missus I don't get could you explain ... Your not answering my questions I politely asked you and you'll note I didn't call you any names

antony1969 - 2017-11-20 5:57 PM

Are you suggesting we will have to buy chlorine washed chicken from the US once we've left the EU for some strange reason ??? 8-) and why would British food business lower any food standards once we've left the EU ... You like a nice doner kebab heated up again and again and again from a takeaway wherever that is ... Not a great advert for food hygiene ... Another wet argument for me

I am stating that at the moment we are protected from buying cheap and potentially dangerous food types because they are banned by EU law. If those bans are not maintained IF we leave then it opens the doors for cheap, inferior and dangerous food products from all over the world. Whilst our quality products can of course still be bought how long will it be before the cheaper and potentially dodgy stuff pushes them off the shelves. When inflation rises more and money gets tighter (Which it will) which Chicken is going to sell the best in Tescos? Free range fed on corn on the local farm for say a Tenner or some Chlorinated injected with god knows what filth for three quid? They will both look the same, which one is the person who is finding it all a bit of a struggle going to opt for?

I do like a Kebab that is true and I feel pretty safe buying one anywhere within the EU as there are strict hygiene and sourcing standards in place and touch wood ive not had a dodgy one yet.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2017-11-21 11:19 AM

I am stating that at the moment we are protected from buying cheap and potentially dangerous food types because they are banned by EU law. If those bans are not maintained IF we leave then it opens the doors for cheap, inferior and dangerous food products from all over the world. Whilst our quality products can of course still be bought how long will it be before the cheaper and potentially dodgy stuff pushes them off the shelves. When inflation rises more and money gets tighter (Which it will) which Chicken is going to sell the best in Tescos? Free range fed on corn on the local farm for say a Tenner or some Chlorinated injected with god knows what filth for three quid? They will both look the same, which one is the person who is finding it all a bit of a struggle going to opt for?

I do like a Kebab that is true and I feel pretty safe buying one anywhere within the EU as there are strict hygiene and sourcing standards in place and touch wood ive not had a dodgy one yet.

Oh yeah those wonderful EU laws that stop us from buying dangerous food >:-) .........

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-08-europe-tainted-food-scandals.html

(lol) (lol) (lol) ........

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/11/tainted-eggs-found-in-hong-kong-switzerland-and-15-eu-countries

Barryd999 - 2017-11-21 11:19 AM

Yes those strict EU laws that prevent stuff like this in Huddersfield from happening ... http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/three-takeaways-shut-down-after-13260120 ... Und this one in Huddersfield ... http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/dirty-indian-takeaway-food-likely-13219788 ... Another one this year in Huddersfield ... http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/mice-infested-chinese-takeaway-disaster-12676215 ... Those wonderful EU laws that prevent this from happening and I believe they are all back open with the same folk running em

The laws are there for exactly that reason, to shut down places like that.

Here is a pretty disgusting example of just the kind of protection we can expect from this government once its freed from the so called shackles of daft EU laws. http://www.theweek.co.uk/89850/mps-vote-that-animals-can-t-feel-pain-or-emotion-as-part-of-brexit-bill

Its exactly this kind of approach that will lead to lower standards, mistreatment of Animals and substandard and potentially dangerous foods in our supermarkets.

Wait until they get started on people and your employment rights get chucked out of the window on the orders of the real big players behind Brexit.

Barryd999 - 2017-11-21 1:29 PM

The laws are there for exactly that reason, to shut down places like that.

Here is a pretty disgusting example of just the kind of protection we can expect from this government once its freed from the so called shackles of daft EU laws. http://www.theweek.co.uk/89850/mps-vote-that-animals-can-t-feel-pain-or-emotion-as-part-of-brexit-bill

Its exactly this kind of approach that will lead to lower standards, mistreatment of Animals and substandard and potentially dangerous foods in our supermarkets.

Wait until they get started on people and your employment rights get chucked out of the window on the orders of the real big players behind Brexit.

But they aren't shut down they are open again with the same staff and how long was the filth unchecked and allowed to get away with ... Regarding the treatment of animals I can't pass judgement to be fair because Government according to your link say everything is still covered while the RSPCA say not so who's fibbing I don't know do you ??? ... Kind of on the same subject with animals feelings how do you feel about Halal slaughtering ???

Archived