antony1969 - 2017-11-22 12:37 PM

Barryd999 - 2017-11-22 10:56 AM

antony1969 - 2017-11-21 7:55 PM

Barryd999 - 2017-11-21 7:52 PM

antony1969 - 2017-11-21 7:44 PM

Barryd999 - 2017-11-21 3:40 PM

antony1969 - 2017-11-21 2:10 PM

Barryd999 - 2017-11-21 1:38 PM

I think your probably right Antony. Clearly a lot of Germans are pretty hacked off about Merkels Decisions regarding refugees but not all of them, not even most of them are completely against it. There are pockets of resistance to immigrants and refugees all over Europe and far right groups have latched onto this in order to further their cause which lets face it for many of them its not a cause most of us would chose to support or back. Thankfully the majority of Europeans do not and will not support these groups. Whooping and celebrating the small victories these people achieve will only serve to bite us all on the arse should they ever gain any serious power.

Now, as for offering accommodation to Refugees the sensible answer would be to house them somewhere where they can fit in to a community and long term if they are successful in gaining Asylum seeker status (most from outside of Syria are not these days) then somewhere where they can find work. There should be thousands of jobs soon when all the EU workers leave so they can fill them. :D

Nearest school, doctor or shop here is seven miles away. We could always use a few Beaters for the sunday morning shoot though. :D

Your beginning to sound like your hero Lily Allen ... Her that said she'd house refugees but as yet both her London and Cotswold homes don't house any ... Best left to the little people then eh ? but for someone like yourself who fights very strongly for these types and who's been to Calais to see them I would have thought you'd go out of your way to house atleast one ... Are you calling Austria a small victory for the far right and Germany and the beautiful Mrs Le Pen getting more than a third of votes in the French election a small victory ???

How do you know she hasn't? Why should it be down to individuals to take them in? I would if I found a family, individual or child wandering around our village, of course I would. I dare say if it was just me here I would put one or two up until they got established but its not just my decision is it?

I would have no objection whatsoever to them being accommodated here in this area though if there was somewhere to put them. I am sure I would do what I Can to help them as well. You know already that my family has a history of looking after refugees and if my mother was still alive I wouldn't be surprised if her house would be full of em! :D

I think all I am asking is that we show a bit of compassion for those that are genuine refugees and not chancers. We have thankfully always done that. Just think if it was your wife or your kids wandering around some strange country looking for safety. What would you want for them? Shelter and a welcome or hostility, rejection or worse?

Barry don't be silly , Silly Lily hasn't taken any in ... So I presume when you say "its not just my decision" to take in a refugee I assume Mrs Barry would not be so welcoming so you don't take any in but yet you expect me who's not so accommodating to any refugees to have them in my town and around my family while you who preaches to me does nothing and lives with none of the consequences ... Don't you think that ever so slightly stinks of being a hypocrite ???

No, I said I would have them here. If I were still living in a town I Would not object either.

You said it wasn't just your decision so what did that mean ... Why does living in a town make a difference to the people you claim are escaping the things you say , surely they would be quite happy in a village and they may well have come from a village at home

Well firstly its up to the Refugee council, the Government and eventually the local council where the few refugees we get are settled. I doubt Bottom Shagna is on their list as most end up in private lets paid for by the tax payer. As far as I am aware there are no houses here that are on the council books although I am sure there are one or two current lets. The reason I mentioned if I were living in a town I wouldn't object either is for practical purposes they are more likely to end up there. Many end up working once accepted, perhaps in the NHS, self employed or even education so it needs to be somewhere where they can find work. Not likely here but not impossible as there are farms everywhere and tourism is the biggest earner. Transport is essential though.

Mrs D would of course object I reckon to having a family or individual in our house but even she, short term would not see a local to us refugee on the street.

I doubt there are many people, even those who would like to support displaced refugees that would be willing to take them into their own homes. Supporting them being here and paying taxes to house and feed them is enough to ask of anyone really.

Well quite a lot of people do take them in Barry in fact one of our recent terrorists was housed with a couple that took many in ... I have to say it's a little disappointing that you won't take any into your home after all you say and stinks of double standards to me

I can see that's the response you have been trying to slip in for a while Antony. However as I said I personally would take them in its not a fair

I cant think too far ahead Barry ... I'm a Brexit voter remember ... I only replied to your previous post ... Part of your reply above like your outlook on wanting refugees but not in your village or home doesn't make sense

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2017-11-22 1:54 PM

I think your probably right Antony. Clearly a lot of Germans are pretty hacked off about Merkels Decisions regarding refugees but not all of them, not even most of them are completely against it. There are pockets of resistance to immigrants and refugees all over Europe and far right groups have latched onto this in order to further their cause which lets face it for many of them its not a cause most of us would chose to support or back. Thankfully the majority of Europeans do not and will not support these groups. Whooping and celebrating the small victories these people achieve will only serve to bite us all on the arse should they ever gain any serious power.

Now, as for offering accommodation to Refugees the sensible answer would be to house them somewhere where they can fit in to a community and long term if they are successful in gaining Asylum seeker status (most from outside of Syria are not these days) then somewhere where they can find work. There should be thousands of jobs soon when all the EU workers leave so they can fill them. :D

Nearest school, doctor or shop here is seven miles away. We could always use a few Beaters for the sunday morning shoot though. :D

Your beginning to sound like your hero Lily Allen ... Her that said she'd house refugees but as yet both her London and Cotswold homes don't house any ... Best left to the little people then eh ? but for someone like yourself who fights very strongly for these types and who's been to Calais to see them I would have thought you'd go out of your way to house atleast one ... Are you calling Austria a small victory for the far right and Germany and the beautiful Mrs Le Pen getting more than a third of votes in the French election a small victory ???

How do you know she hasn't? Why should it be down to individuals to take them in? I would if I found a family, individual or child wandering around our village, of course I would. I dare say if it was just me here I would put one or two up until they got established but its not just my decision is it?

I would have no objection whatsoever to them being accommodated here in this area though if there was somewhere to put them. I am sure I would do what I Can to help them as well. You know already that my family has a history of looking after refugees and if my mother was still alive I wouldn't be surprised if her house would be full of em! :D

I think all I am asking is that we show a bit of compassion for those that are genuine refugees and not chancers. We have thankfully always done that. Just think if it was your wife or your kids wandering around some strange country looking for safety. What would you want for them? Shelter and a welcome or hostility, rejection or worse?

Barry don't be silly , Silly Lily hasn't taken any in ... So I presume when you say "its not just my decision" to take in a refugee I assume Mrs Barry would not be so welcoming so you don't take any in but yet you expect me who's not so accommodating to any refugees to have them in my town and around my family while you who preaches to me does nothing and lives with none of the consequences ... Don't you think that ever so slightly stinks of being a hypocrite ???

No, I said I would have them here. If I were still living in a town I Would not object either.

You said it wasn't just your decision so what did that mean ... Why does living in a town make a difference to the people you claim are escaping the things you say , surely they would be quite happy in a village and they may well have come from a village at home

Well firstly its up to the Refugee council, the Government and eventually the local council where the few refugees we get are settled. I doubt Bottom Shagna is on their list as most end up in private lets paid for by the tax payer. As far as I am aware there are no houses here that are on the council books although I am sure there are one or two current lets. The reason I mentioned if I were living in a town I wouldn't object either is for practical purposes they are more likely to end up there. Many end up working once accepted, perhaps in the NHS, self employed or even education so it needs to be somewhere where they can find work. Not likely here but not impossible as there are farms everywhere and tourism is the biggest earner. Transport is essential though.

Mrs D would of course object I reckon to having a family or individual in our house but even she, short term would not see a local to us refugee on the street.

I doubt there are many people, even those who would like to support displaced refugees that would be willing to take them into their own homes. Supporting them being here and paying taxes to house and feed them is enough to ask of anyone really.

Well quite a lot of people do take them in Barry in fact one of our recent terrorists was housed with a couple that took many in ... I have to say it's a little disappointing that you won't take any into your home after all you say and stinks of double standards to me

I can see that's the response you have been trying to slip in for a while Antony. However as I said I personally would take them in its not a fair one

Why not? :-S ......Even our future terrorists need a home >:-) .......

Mind you after a few days of your singing he/she would prolly top themselves :D .....

antony1969 - 2017-11-22 12:21 PM

John52 - 2017-11-22 11:11 AM

Well I don't have any refugees in my house because I am not perfect.

But I don't object to them seeking sanctuary in this country.

Which puts me a long way above this.

antony1969 - 2017-11-20 6:23 PM

To put it bluntly I don't give a flying fudge about them ..

Yes and I still don't ... Personally I would rather help the most persecuted people in the world .... Christians

What about the increasing amount of bribe money going from England to Northern Ireland, (and to Scotland, Wales and the Tax Havens) to buy Tory votes?

John52 - 2017-11-22 3:45 PM

Yes and I still don't ... Personally I would rather help the most persecuted people in the world .... Christians

What about the increasing amount of bribe money going from England to Northern Ireland, (and to Scotland, Wales and the Tax Havens) to buy Tory votes?

What are you going on about ... I thought the Tories in Wales had their highest share of the vote in many a year and in Scotland gained over 10 seats ??? ... All this on the back of Brexit too so why the need to buy votes ???

RogerC - 2017-11-22 1:31 PM................................You are expanding the scope of the claim now to include 'displaced persons' which is entirely different to refugees. Refugee definition: a person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster. Please note the operative words:  "leave their country". So I maintain your claim is 'crap'  :-)

I was tempted by this exchange to look up "displaced person". This is what I found: "displaced person: a person forced from his or her home or country, esp by war or revolution." It seems a very fine distinction indeed, to the point at which, allowing for individual circumstance, one seems to be indistinguishable from the other.

John52 - 2017-11-22 11:11 AMWell I don't have any refugees in my house because I am not perfect.But I don't object to them seeking sanctuary in this country.Which puts me a long way above this.
antony1969 - 2017-11-20 6:23 PMTo put it bluntly I don't give a flying fudge about them ..

https://rlv.zcache.com/lost_the_plot_scratch_pad-r036ed8334a6c41ab85355156f7eed419_amb08_8byvr_324.jpg

antony1969 - 2017-11-22 3:57 PM

What are you going on about ... I thought the Tories in Wales had their highest share of the vote in many a year and in Scotland gained over 10 seats ??? ... All this on the back of Brexit too so why the need to buy votes ???

Same reason as they used our borrowed money to buy Tory votes from Northern Ireland. May called an election she said she wouldn't and lost her majority. If Grenfell Tower had caught fire before the election instead of after the Tories would have been ousted. Do keep up.

RogerC - 2017-11-22 2:29 PM
Barryd999 - 2017-11-22 1:52 PM
RogerC - 2017-11-22 1:31 PM
Barryd999 - 2017-11-21 6:49 PM
RogerC - 2017-11-21 5:04 PM
Barryd999 - 2017-11-20 5:54 PMShe was always going to come in for some flack and lose some ground for her open door policy on refugees. Does nobody else find it somewhat sad that by trying to set an example and be a true humanitarian she has gained so many enemies? Facing the biggest refugee crisis we have ever seen someone had to do something and set an example. Was she right to do it or should she have done it differently? Probably. History shows though that voting in extremist parties like the AFD never ends well. Some of you seem to think them gaining ground is a good thing but it never is when the views are to far in one direction, left or right.Just watch America. It will implode within the next three years. or Worse. :(

Might one make so bold as to make a one word comment on the statement in bold above?

CRAP.

I thank you.
You can say what you like Roger but I would be interested to hear why you think that statement is crap? Do you know of a bigger refugee crisis going on somewhere or something? Bigger than 65 million displaced people around the globe including 5 million just from Syria with a further 6 million of them displaced within Syria?

Depending on your age I suppose it might be...however I maintain the statement is crap....sensationalist nonsense.  Yes the refugee crisis is rather large when one lumps all of them together but it is not as you put it:
Facing the biggest refugee crisis we have ever seen 
UNQUOTE

You are expanding the scope of the claim now to include 'displaced persons' which is entirely different to refugees.

Refugee definition:
a person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster.

Please note the operative words:  "leave their country".

So I maintain your claim is 'crap'  :-)
I never expanded my claim. I always knew there were 65 million people displaced around the world but ok let's just take Syria. 11 million forced out of their homes and 5 million fleeing the country. If you can show me a refugee crisis bigger than this one then I'm all ears. I suppose they could have been in World War Two if Hitler hadn't rounded up millions of Jews and other undesirables and murdered them. I gather we managed to look after a few lucky ones that made it here then.

"I never expanded my claim".

Actually you did.  In the post I commented was 'crap' you simply referred to 'refugees' yet in your reply to my post you include 'displaced persons' presumably to try and bolster the numbers and support your claim.  It is a clearly a misrepresentation of the truth and IMO quite a sensationalist one at that in order to project an untruth as the truth......ergo crap.  
Im not getting into this tit for tat semantics bollox you seem to like to drag other posters into with you Roger but this is what I Said."Does nobody else find it somewhat sad that by trying to set an example and be a true humanitarian she has gained so many enemies? Facing the biggest refugee crisis we have ever seen someone had to do something and set an example."You said that was crap. I assumed you meant it wasnt the biggest refugee crisis we have ever seen. I then went onto explain that there are 65 million displaced people around the globe to highlight the extent of the problem. Thats not trying to sensationalise the problem, simply stating a fact. Whether you define someone as being displaced as a refugee or not is again semantics but you still havent explained why you consider the initial statement as being "crap". Just taking into account the millions of Syrian refugees only forgetting about the ones you might think are maybe not true refugees, I cant remember a bigger refugee crisis can you?

John52 - 2017-11-22 5:05 PM

Same reason as they used our borrowed money to buy Tory votes from Northern Ireland. May called an election she said she wouldn't and lost her majority. If Grenfell Tower had caught fire before the election instead of after the Tories would have been ousted. Do keep up.

So your basically saying you wish a tragedy that took innocent lives had happened before the election because then you believe that would have enabled your team to get in ... I don't want to keep up if thats how you believe politics should work

antony1969 - 2017-11-22 2:54 PM

I can see that's the response you have been trying to slip in for a while Antony. However as I said I personally would take them in its not a fair

I cant think too far ahead Barry ... I'm a Brexit voter remember ... I only replied to your previous post ... Part of your reply above like your outlook on wanting refugees but not in your village or home doesn't make sense

Just for you again as you admit to being a Brexit Voter. I would welcome Refugees to our village and the surrounding area. I personally would welcome them into my home if I could. That clear enough?

Barryd999 - 2017-11-22 5:16 PM

antony1969 - 2017-11-22 2:54 PM

Just for you again as you admit to being a Brexit Voter. I would welcome Refugees to our village and the surrounding area. I personally would welcome them into my home if I could. That clear enough?

Well you can ... The only obstacle is you making excuses

Brian Kirby - 2017-11-22 4:47 PM
RogerC - 2017-11-22 1:31 PM................................You are expanding the scope of the claim now to include 'displaced persons' which is entirely different to refugees. Refugee definition: a person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster. Please note the operative words:  "leave their country". So I maintain your claim is 'crap'  :-)
I was tempted by this exchange to look up "displaced person". This is what I found: "displaced person: a person forced from his or her home or country, esp by war or revolution." It seems a very fine distinction indeed, to the point at which, allowing for individual circumstance, one seems to be indistinguishable from the other.

I expect it is possibly a case of where one looks.  However the UNHCR definition, which I feel is the 'oracle' on these matters states:

'A refugee is someone who has been forced to flee his or her country because of persecution, war, or violence'.

I rest my case.

pelmetman - 2017-11-22 2:52 PM

You mean your not allowed to sub let ;-) ...........

If you thought I was living in rented accomodation I couldn't sub let why did you say I could take refugees in?

antony1969 - 2017-11-22 5:15 PM

John52 - 2017-11-22 5:05 PM

So your basically saying you wish a tragedy that took innocent lives had happened before the election because then you believe that would have enabled your team to get in ... I don't want to keep up if thats how you believe politics should work

So you are basically changing my words to set up a straw man - again

John52 - 2017-11-22 5:45 PM

If you thought I was living in rented accomodation I couldn't sub let why did you say I could take refugees in?

Dint stop them sub-letting in Grenfell that you mentioned earlier did it ???

RogerC - 2017-11-22 5:35 PM

I expect it is possibly a case of where one looks.  However the UNHCR definition, which I feel is the 'oracle' on these matters states:

'A refugee is someone who has been forced to flee his or her country because of persecution, war, or violence'.

I rest my case.
Well yes, M'Lud, but your case rests on the single definition of a refugee, which I wasn't disputing. What struck me when I looked was that the definition of a displaced person is, for all intents and purposes, the same as that for a refugee, so that the distinction that was being drawn between refugees and displaced persons seemed groundless.I, in turn, rest my cases! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2017-11-22 6:15 PM
RogerC - 2017-11-22 5:35 PM

I rest my case.
Well yes, M'Lud, but your case rests on the single definition of a refugee, which I wasn't disputing. What struck me when I looked was that the definition of a displaced person is, for all intents and purposes, the same as that for a refugee, so that the distinction that was being drawn between refugees and displaced persons seemed groundless.I, in turn, rest my cases! :-D

Rest your cases as you might.  I consider UNHCR to be the 'oracle' as I said before and they do not class any section of society/nation etc as 'displaced persons'.  They are either 'refugees' or 'internally displaced persons'.  The term displaced persons is in reality meaningless because all it means is one is removed from ones normal domicile.  There is no 'status' in law under the term 'displaced persons'.  It is merely a couple of words used to demonstrate the situation of people/persons in relation to their current circumstances.
As you have previously held up the English language to be so precise I am surprised you can offer an argument championing that these two clearly different descriptions of a persons status amount to the same thing.

It really is quite simple....one is seeking 'refuge' whilst the other is displaced from ones normal domicile within the boundaries of said persons country of residence.

Roger seems keen on the UNHCR figures so I wonder why he hasnt posted them then seeing as my claim that this is the worst refugee crisis ever is "crap"

http://www.unhcr.org/uk/figures-at-a-glance.html

Even if those just classed as "Dispersed" are just on a jolly (although a person dispersed is classed so by the UNHCR as being driven out of their homes as a result of conflict or persecution that still leaves 22.5 million genuine refugees.

Guest pelmetman

So you are renting.......Nothing to be ashamed of John ;-) .........

Us landlords like people who rent B-) ........

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2017-11-22 8:19 PM

Roger seems keen on the UNHCR figures so I wonder why he hasnt posted them then seeing as my claim that this is the worst refugee crisis ever is "crap"

Even if those just classed as "Dispersed" are just on a jolly (although a person dispersed is classed so by the UNHCR as being driven out of their homes as a result of conflict or persecution that still leaves 22.5 million genuine refugees.

So Barry's answer is ....LET THEM ALL IN :-| .........

Yes lets turn the UK into a war torn third world country so we can ALL become refugees ;-) .......

Wont that be fun? 8-) ........

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2017-11-23 10:59 AM

pelmetman - 2017-11-23 9:16 AM

So you are renting...

pelmetman - 2017-11-23 9:20 AM

You are wasted here.

With your capacity for making things up you should be on the Daily Mail (lol)

Well due the lack of transparency forthcoming from our resident excuse merchants, as to why their gaffs are unsuitable for migrants/refugees :-| ........

One has to base their opinions on the evidence ;-) ........

pelmetman - 2017-11-23 9:20 AM

Barryd999 - 2017-11-22 8:19 PM

Yes lets turn the UK into a war torn third world country so we can ALL become refugees ;-) .......

Wont that be fun? 8-) ........

Just not into his multicultural village or house though ... Its miles from civilisation dont ya know and sending a strapping six foot tall ten year old off to school on his own wouldnt be safe dont ya know

Barryd999 - 2017-11-22 8:19 PMRoger seems keen on the UNHCR figures so I wonder why he hasnt posted them then seeing as my claim that this is the worst refugee crisis ever is "crap"http://www.unhcr.org/uk/figures-at-a-glance.htmlEven if those just classed as "Dispersed" are just on a jolly (although a person dispersed is classed so by the UNHCR as being driven out of their homes as a result of conflict or persecution that still leaves 22.5 million genuine refugees.

I am not denying there is a refugee crisis but in all fairness you said initially the greatest 'refugee' crisis then, when challenged, you included 'displaced persons', which is different matter entirely, to bolster your numbers.  Seemingly the worlds authority on refugees/displaced persons isn't sufficient to satisfy you that your claim is erroneous.

Persons displaced are 'still' in their own country and according to the UNHCR.

A report by the UNHCR High Commissioner, whom I suspect knows a little more than you or I in this matter quotes:
"The report found that, measured against the world’s population of 7.4 billion people, one in every 113 people globally is now either an asylum-seeker, internally displaced or a refugee ".

Please note 'internally displaced' which means:
'Internally displaced people (IDPs) have not crossed a border to find safety. Unlike refugees, they are on the run at home'.
'Although UNHCR’s original mandate does not specifically cover IDPs, we have been using our expertise to protect and assist them for years'. 

So I still maintain your initial sensationalist and totally unfounded claim is crap.  Dress it up how you will but adding displaced persons to your 'refugee' claim is utter balderdash.  :-)

antony1969 - 2017-11-22 5:49 PM

Dint stop them sub-letting in Grenfell that you mentioned earlier did it ???

Grenfell has been in a Royal Tory Borough since before it even got on to the drawing board.

Despite that May was booed, and Corbyn welcomed there.

Which led to my comment that if the fire had happened the week before the election instead of the week after we would have been looking at a different Prime Minister.

But whats your comment got to do with me taking refugees in?

Archived