Brexit Impact Assessment

John52

Violet1956 - 2017-12-15 9:52 AM

Interesting argument in the comment section of The Times today put forward by Philip Collins. He maintains that the threat of losing the deal in parliament will now become part of her the Prime Minister's negotiating position pushing her into a gentler, kinder position which he claims the majority of the public favour.

Yes. I noticed the pound rose a bit on the news too. But then anything that impedes a hard Brexit leads to a rise in the pound.

Can't say the same about the public finances though because I expect the Tories will be throwing more money around to bribe more Tory votes.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
John52 - 2017-12-15 9:37 AM

antony1969 - 2017-12-15 9:05 AM

He's never had the power to bomb them as you put it or take an official government role in dialogue so how do you know ??? ... All he's done is show his support for those I named so as I say he's a terrorist lover

Corbyn had a vote which he used to vote against the illegal invasion of Iraq.

He was also very active in the demonstration against it.

(And his predictions of the outcome have been very accurate)

Where is your evidence he 'showed his support for those you named' *-)

And if he showed his support for them as you claim why do you think he wanted to bomb them *-)

What's Iraq got to do with anything I've said ??? ... Regarding evidence your being a silly Billy aren't ya and I can't understand that last bit

Hi,

Whoever sorts student loans doesn't matter,what matters is somebody sorts them.What world do these politicians live in whereby they think newly graduated people [probably mid twenties] can afford to live,pay mortgages,save for pensions etc and repay student loans. Seems another case to me where those that have had the benefit and profited from it feel that the next generations do not deserve the same as they got when they were students.

Not party political, just practical and fair.

cheers

derek

derek pringle - 2017-12-15 12:32 PM

Hi,

Whoever sorts student loans doesn't matter,what matters is somebody sorts them.What world do these politicians live in whereby they think newly graduated people [probably mid twenties] can afford to live,pay mortgages,save for pensions etc and repay student loans. Seems another case to me where those that have had the benefit and profited from it feel that the next generations do not deserve the same as they got when they were students.

cheers

derek

I agree Derek. If students benefit from their education, as is claimed, and get better paid jobs (questionable in some fields), they will also end up paying more income tax, and probably spending more, so paying more VAT. Isn't that sufficient, over a 40 year working lifetime, to repay the cost of their educations? Student loans are a bureaucratic nightmare, requiring staff who didn't previously exist to administrate them, and further staff time to keep track of the students while studying and subsequently.

Brian Kirby - 2017-12-15 4:34 PM

derek pringle - 2017-12-15 12:32 PM

Hi,

cheers

derek

I agree Derek. If students benefit from their education, as is claimed, and get better paid jobs (questionable in some fields), they will also end up paying more income tax, and probably spending more, so paying more VAT. Isn't that sufficient, over a 40 year working lifetime, to repay the cost of their educations? Student loans are a bureaucratic nightmare, requiring staff who didn't previously exist to administrate them, and further staff time to keep track of the students while studying and subsequently.

Couldn't agree more. Look at how those troughing Chancellors and Vice -Chancellors have inflated their salaries at the expense of the younger generation. Makes me ashamed to be a baby boomer who came out of university with no debt at all.

derek pringle - 2017-12-15 12:32 PMHi, Whoever sorts student loans doesn't matter,what matters is somebody sorts them.What world do these politicians live in whereby they think newly graduated people [probably mid twenties] can afford to live,pay mortgages,save for pensions etc and repay student loans. Seems another case to me where those that have had the benefit and profited from it feel that the next generations do not deserve the same as they got when they were students.Not party political, just practical and fair.cheersderek
Totally agree.  A system that actually delivers nothing yet costs a great deal.
On a political note though if Clegg, in his self serving drive for power, had not so shamelessly sold the students down the river I feel sure there would be something much more acceptable in place.

Student loans are a bureaucratic nightmare, requiring staff who didn't previously exist to administrate them, and further staff time to keep track of the students while studying and subsequently.

Nice little earner for an Empire Building Civil Servant then. The bigger his department, the more he gets paid. So he will say its a good thing. ;-)

antony1969 - 2017-12-15 11:43 AM

John52 - 2017-12-15 9:37 AM

antony1969 - 2017-12-15 9:05 AM

He's never had the power to bomb them as you put it or take an official government role in dialogue so how do you know ??? ... All he's done is show his support for those I named so as I say he's a terrorist lover

Corbyn had a vote which he used to vote against the illegal invasion of Iraq.

He was also very active in the demonstration against it.

(And his predictions of the outcome have been very accurate)

Where is your evidence he 'showed his support for those you named' *-)

And if he showed his support for them as you claim why do you think he wanted to bomb them *-)

What's Iraq got to do with anything I've said ??? ... Regarding evidence your being a silly Billy aren't ya and I can't understand that last bit

I can't answer that without repeating what you and I have already posted. Which you could go back and read if you wanted to. :-S

So, Gove wants to scrap the Working Time Directive. Now who is that going to benefit most, the haves or the have nots?

It never really was about the curvature of bananas or just banishing “red tape” for the Tory right was it? Not satisfied with an opt out for domestic servants and other serfs they want everyone to work for as long on each shift/day as their employer dictates they must work. They should have put “Tote that barge lift that bale” on the Battle Bus.

>:-)

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2017-12-17 10:48 AM

So, Gove wants to scrap the Working Time Directive. Now who is that going to benefit most, the haves or the have nots?

It never really was about the curvature of bananas or just banishing “red tape” for the Tory right was it? Not satisfied with an opt out for domestic servants and other serfs they want everyone to work for as long on each shift/day as their employer dictates they must work. They should have put “Tote that barge lift that bale” on the Battle Bus.

Why is everyone a bleedin victim now days?.......If folk ain't happy with their job......find another ;-) ........

pelmetman - 2017-12-17 10:53 AM

Why is everyone a bleedin victim now days?.......If folk ain't happy with their job......find another ;-) ........

This isn’t about victimhood it’s about money and power. If every employer can impose whatever hours on their workers they choose I doubt that the option of finding another job will solve the problem for many, particularly the unskilled whose bargaining power in the job market is weak.

Reminds me of the Canal Journey Programme - Timothy West was reading out an account of a five year old working barefoot in a victorian foundry and lost his foot when a tub ran over it. When he was six he lost the other foot the same way.

By your logic he should have just found another job *-)

John52 - 2017-12-17 1:08 PM

Reminds me of the Canal Journey Programme - Timothy West was reading out an account of a five year old working barefoot in a victorian foundry and lost his foot when a tub ran over it. When he was six he lost the other foot the same way.

Nah, he should have learnt from experience, and kept the other foot out of the way!

Brian Kirby - 2017-12-17 2:53 PM

Nah, he should have learnt from experience, and kept the other foot out of the way!

I recall they said something like that about those killed building the Forth Bridge.

Turns out most were killed by bits falling from above so had no chance.

They were buried forgotten without headstones as they couldn't afford them.

Then the King came along, pressed a button to put in the last rivet.

Which got himself top of the plaque of those claiming the credit for it *-)

John52 - 2017-12-17 6:09 PM

I recall they said something like that about those killed building the Forth Bridge.

You mean The Prince of Wales not The King ???

antony1969 - 2017-12-17 6:15 PM

John ???

antony1969 - 2017-12-17 7:03 PM
antony1969 - 2017-12-17 6:15 PM
pelmetman - 2017-12-17 10:53 AMWhy is everyone a bleedin victim now days?.......If folk ain't happy with their job......find another ;-) ........
Reminds me of the Canal Journey Programme - Timothy West was reading out an account of a five year old working barefoot in a victorian foundry and lost his foot when a tub ran over it. When he was six he lost the other foot the same way.By your logic he should have just found another job *-)
I recall they said something like that about those killed building the Forth Bridge.Turns out most were killed by bits falling from above so had no chance.They were buried forgotten without headstones as they couldn't afford them.Then the King came along, pressed a button to put in the last rivet.Which got himself top of the plaque of those claiming the credit for it *-)
John ???
It's OK Antony....He's regressed back into the depths of Lala land.....internet service isn't so good back there.

So, Gove wants to scrap the Working Time Directive.

Last I heard from Gove was vote Brexit to get back our fishing waters. Then last week we heard EU boats will still be allowed in, What the fishermen were calling him is unprintable (lol)

The real price of Brexit begins to emerge

Thats the title of a long and well researched article in the FT today, backed up by evidence from independent acadermics.

You can bypass the paywall by copying this into your browser;

"begins to emerge" site www.ft.com

For those who can't be bothered to look at the evidence, the conclusion is the cost of Brexit to us will be remarkably close to the £350 million per week the Brexit campaign claimed we would save :-S

John52 - 2017-12-18 10:43 AM

Thats the title of a long and well researched article in the FT today, backed up by evidence from independent acadermics.

For those who can't be bothered to look at the evidence, the conclusion is the cost of Brexit to us will be remarkably close to the £350 million per week the Brexit campaign claimed we would save :-S

Will this link work? https://www.ft.com/content/e3b29230-db5f-11e7-a039-c64b1c09b482

An interesting and in depth analysis and actually accepted by Brexiteer economists and this loss, all before we actually leave. Of course Brexiteers will tell us that we expected to have a bit of a dip before it all improves. I assume they have a plan then and some cracking deals all lined up. Anyone?

EDIT: Nah link doesnt work. Just do what John says and google "begins to emerge" including the quotes

Barryd999 - 2017-12-18 11:39 AM

John52 - 2017-12-18 10:43 AM

Will this link work? https://www.ft.com/content/e3b29230-db5f-11e7-a039-c64b1c09b482

An interesting and in depth analysis and actually accepted by Brexiteer economists and this loss, all before we actually leave. Of course Brexiteers will tell us that we expected to have a bit of a dip before it all improves. I assume they have a plan then and some cracking deals all lined up. Anyone?

EDIT: Nah link doesnt work. Just do what John says and google "begins to emerge" including the quotes

Link works for me as a member but maybe not for others.

Wheras Googling bypasses the paywall.

Wort reading also are the comments - especially the most recommended one

PS: don't try copying and pasting anything from the FT - even your own comments - as FT text has something in it designed to prevent copying and pasting, which is likely to upset this forum's software - (like the emoticons and fonts Roger sometimes copies to here)

Archived