Gas in France - Pas de Calor

Duffer

Duffer - 2018-01-23 10:10 AM

Yes, as mentioned in a couple of my earlier posts, the manufacturer has confirmed that the locker will take 13kg bottles and that is why I bought one yesterday.

And obviously all my searching only bought up results for the earlier model!

Oh well, you win some, you lose some.

Keith.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Derek Uzzell - 2018-01-23 11:04 AM

Presumably, then, your Bessacarr 412 motorhome’s gas-locker is on the vehicle’s left-hand side as in the 2nd photo on my previous posting?

Yes, as I said in the reply to Brian, the locker is mid way down the van and low, so carrying etc. isn't a problem.

It just means that I can't carry my spare 25l water bottle in there any more, but that will happily sit in the shower and be out of the way when empty.

Keithl - 2018-01-23 11:11 AM

Duffer - 2018-01-23 10:10 AM

Yes, as mentioned in a couple of my earlier posts, the manufacturer has confirmed that the locker will take 13kg bottles and that is why I bought one yesterday.

And obviously all my searching only bought up results for the earlier model!

Oh well, you win some, you lose some.

Keith.

But help was appreciated none-the-less :-)

• 2 weeks later...
Keithl - 2018-01-18 5:31 PM.............................

I believe Le Cube is the same as a Calor Butane, ie 21.8 LH Male Thread on the cylinder.

A Calor Propane uses a Left Hand POL connection with the cylinder having a Female thread.

Keith.

Edit. Or you could use one of these adaptors to connect the Propane POL to a 21.8 LH Male thread...

http://www.gaslowdirect.com/epages/cyujrhdmmu67.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/cyujrhdmmu67/Products/01-4331

Hunting for myself, I've found a couple of what I think are probably better adaptors. The problem, as I see it, with the above, is that it is really a 21.8LH to POL adaptor.

I see the disadvantage of this as being that the 21.8 LH connector relies on a neoprene type washer for a gas tight connection, and these are prone to damage through over tightening. So, with the adaptor connected to a French cylinder at the 21.8LH end, the POL connector must then be connected to the adaptor, and this requires some force to achieve a gas-tight fit. The risk I see is the adaptor being twisted in the process with detriment to the washer.

I've therefore looked for a POL to 21.8 LH adaptor that can be fitted direct to a UK propane cylinder, with the 21.8 LH pigtail then attached to that. This allows the POL adaptor to be fitted to the cylinder using whatever force is required to achieve a seal, with the 21.8 LH pigtail then being attached with only the force required to "nip" its washer. This arrangement seems to minimise (eliminate, even!) the risk of overtightening the washer and/or inadvertently loosened the first connection while making the second.

First is a Gaslow "Easy Fit UK Propane adaptor": their product number 01-1674.

Second is a Gas It "UK POL to 21.8 LH male" adaptor (no part number).

Both about £14, plus about £5 p&p. I've gone for the Gas It version as it all brass, giving the usual brass to brass POL connection. The Gaslow version has a handwheel for tightening, and a neoprene or similar sealing washer shaped to match the POL profile. No spanners required, but I thought the brass to brass Gas It probably more durable.

I shall then have a 21.8 LH (UK butane) pigtail that I can connect to UK propane cylinders via the adaptor, and to directly French propane cylinders.

Archived