Fiat deadlocks

Brian Kirby

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deneb - 2018-02-13 11:05 PM

John52 - 2018-02-13 8:15 PM

I was shocked to see the youtube movie on Derek's weblink of the thief opening locked X2/50 rear doors with a screwdriver in a few seconds. So have drilled holes through both rear doors to slide a rod through to act as a bolt.

That's what the ProPlates prevent, since they effectively encase the lock mechanism in a steel box substantially thicker than the door skin.

Well I couldn't see where the thief had got in from the photo on Derek's link. But it said The tell-tale sign is the small mark in the plastic handle where a screwdriver has been pushed in. The weakness is that because the handle is plastic, it can be pushed out of the way to manipulate the locking mechanism. The other method used is to simply pull the lock out of the plastic housing' - and I don't know how extra plates would prevent that? I can't really try it without wrecking the handle.

And being a cheapskate the idea of a bolt appealed to me :D

I just cut the U bolt from a bike lock in half, stripped off the plastic, cut it tolength and rounded the ends. Hadest bit was accurate measuring to line up the 4 holes which would ave been easy with a long enough drill bit.

355454352_X250reardoorbolt.thumb.jpg.5978475ee3d1a4a24fa9b2ef7b2dd0bc.jpg

John52 - 2018-02-23 4:58 PM

Well I couldn't see where the thief had got in from the photo on Derek's link. But it said The tell-tale sign is the small mark in the plastic handle where a screwdriver has been pushed in.

Along the bottom edge...

1804904242_DoorHandle.jpg.7ace6c69c7baf19f67a4eade4a5f30ba.jpg

Keithl - 2018-02-23 6:00 PM

John52 - 2018-02-23 4:58 PM

Well I couldn't see where the thief had got in from the photo on Derek's link. But it said The tell-tale sign is the small mark in the plastic handle where a screwdriver has been pushed in.

Along the bottom edge...

Ah Thanks for that.

Don't know whether plates would prevent the other method he talked about 'pull the lock out of the plastic housing' I've seen some with different locks fitted so perhaps not?

If anyone is in any doubt (I was, but there again I can be a little slow on the uptake!) official Fiat representatives were spoken to at the NEC Exhibition last week to ascertain what the situation is.

They confirmed that on bases produced for the camper market, the deadlock option is not included as standard.

If you do get trapped in an X250 van with an electrical fault preventing you opening the deadlocked doors there is a way out. To the right of the door handle (pic) there is a rectangular opening covered by a plastic plate. Wiggle the rod behind that and the lock will release.

1251217420_X250reardoorhandle.thumb.jpg.a3962b06f9e4668e7e6550c5c3e1274a.jpg

John52 - 2018-02-25 11:13 AM

If you do get trapped in an X250 van with an electrical fault preventing you opening the deadlocked doors there is a way out. To the right of the door handle (pic) there is a rectangular opening covered by a plastic plate. Wiggle the rod behind that and the lock will release.

Unless as with my van, you would need to have been locked in with your toolkit, and able to dismantle the rear bench seat base, remove the internal window frame, the upholstered window surround panel, the internal door handle and then the full height rear door trim panel to obtain access to that aperture in the door skin!

Deneb - 2018-02-25 11:38 AM

John52 - 2018-02-25 11:13 AM

Unless as with my van, you would need to have been locked in with your toolkit, and able to dismantle the rear bench seat base, remove the internal window frame, the upholstered window surround panel, the internal door handle and then the full height rear door trim panel to obtain access to that aperture in the door skin!

Might have to take a sharp knife and cut a hole in that.

Whats the alternative?

John52 - 2018-02-25 11:41 AM

Whats the alternative?

Cutting a hole would allow anyone who forced the window and put their arm in direct access to the lock mechanism. I never set the deadlocks when we are in the van and prefer to rely on the proplates for lock protection together with the perimeter alarm.

Deneb - 2018-02-25 12:39 PM

John52 - 2018-02-25 11:41 AM

Whats the alternative?

Cutting a hole would allow anyone who forced the window and put their arm in direct access to the lock mechanism. I never set the deadlocks when we are in the van and prefer to rely on the proplates for lock protection together with the perimeter alarm.

I meant cutting a hole as a last resort if you were trapped in the van with the deadlocks on. The photo shows the location so you know where to cut the hole

John52 - 2018-02-26 7:20 PM

I meant cutting a hole as a last resort if you were trapped in the van with the deadlocks on. The photo shows the location so you know where to cut the hole

I won't be though, because I never deadlock the doors when we are in the van, only when leaving it unattended. Otherwise, I'd have to travel around with a drill and a hole saw, but if things did get that bad I think I'd just climb out a window ;-)

• 1 year later...
Brian Kirby - 2018-01-31 12:20 PM

I note that X290 Ducatos can be specified with factory fitted deadlocks. These work to prevent the doors (I assume cab doors only) being opened by breaking a window and reaching in to use the internal door releases. Activated by a double press on the remote "lock" button.

Does anyone have a van so equipped? If so, do you find them satisfactory in normal use?

Further, has anyone investigated getting these locks retro-fitted? If so, what were the complications and approximate cost please? It seems it should be relatively simple to do, but is it? :-D

Brian, Did you find a solution?

Archived