MOT fail - rear transit suspension

Mr Motorhome

Mr Motorhome - 2018-04-16 6:48 PM

Hi Monique

I’m not able to advise on Fiats/MOT unfortunately but, hopefully, your Fiat owners can benefit from my experiences.

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2018-04-16 5:02 PM

i checked four fiat ducatos last weekend dog festivals and all lay at stand still nearby their stops. Have they the same problem at your mot? So that we clear the problem of our ford transit drivers And fiat in one time. And thanks to Mr Motorhome on behalf of our club.

I recall some years back when x250's started to be MOTed a van being failed at a Fiat garage, IIRC even thou the manager didn't think it a fail the tester was adement and it required info from Fiat UK.

p.s. If my suspicions as to the garage are correct, I'm hardly likely to be getting a MOT there.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
colin - 2018-04-16 8:56 PM

I recall some years back when x250's started to be MOTed a van being failed at a Fiat garage, IIRC even thou the manager didn't think it a fail the tester was adement and it required info from Fiat UK.

p.s. If my suspicions as to the garage are correct, I'm hardly likely to be getting a MOT there.

These two 2011 forum threads relate to a 4-years-old Ducato X250 that failed its MOT test and then had its rear springs replaced at a cost of £1100.

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Ducato-X250-failed-rear-leaf-springs/23404/

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Ducato-X250-rear-leaf-springs-MOT-issues/23529/

In that instance things eventually turned out OK for the motorhome owner.

Hi All

Good news.

The workshop contacted me today to advise they had heard back from Ford technical and that they had confirmed that my vehicle is fitted with suspension spring assisters.

I was asked to bring my MH into the workshop, which I did earlier today. The upgraded, multi leaf springs have been removed and my original single leaf springs refitted. I was also refunded the full cost of the works, a total of £781.00.

This has been quite a stressful experience and one I hope I never have to go through again. I’d just like to thank everyone who has freely offered their help and advice, it really is appreciated. Thanks, everyone.

Regards,

...well done.

There are at least a few of us on here that were quite clear that this was the case, but proving it is a slightly different kettle of fish.

You shouldn't have had to go through these hoops, but at least you've got the right result, both financially and mechanically..

Thanks.

The amount of time I’ve spent researching, emailing and writing to various departments has certainly mounted up! I’ve obtained lots of ‘proof’ which I’ll be keeping in the MH if ever I need to provide it in the future!

Robinhood - 2018-04-18 6:26 PM

...well done.

There are at least a few of us on here that were quite clear that this was the case, but proving it is a slightly different kettle of fish.

You shouldn't have had to go through these hoops, but at least you've got the right result, both financially and mechanically..

I am very pleased that you have at last got the result that is the right one. I have not posted on this thread previously because although I was one of those convinced that the MOT tester was wrong, I had nothing helpful to add that had not already been added by others.

Now go out and enjoy......

Harvey :-D

Thanks, Harvey. Appreciate that and I certainly will.

Harvey - 2018-04-18 9:05 PM

I am very pleased that you have at last got the result that is the right one. I have not posted on this thread previously because although I was one of those convinced that the MOT tester was wrong, I had nothing helpful to add that had not already been added by others.

Now go out and enjoy......

Harvey :-D

Mr Motorhome

Now that this issue has been satisfactorily resolved financially, a couple of observations.

1: I’m assuming that your Hymer’s MOT history (available on-line)

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

still carries details of the initial failed test. As the tester now accepts that your motorhome has ‘spring assisters’ rather than ‘bump-stops’, it follows that - if he had understood this to be so originally - he should not have failed the vehicle. It’s probably not a big thing, but it would be best if your Hymer’s MOT history does not show details of the failed test.

2: The Ford Transit FWD platform-cab chassis was never the greatest base on which to build a coachbuilt motorhome, particularly regarding the rear suspension that has no anti-roll bar and a narrow-track axle. Some European converters produced models using this chassis that were long and high and that proved to be wind-sensitive and ‘challenging’ when cornering. Those tendencies were mentioned in this 2007 forum thread

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Anti-roll-devices-/9716/

So if you do find you Hymer can be a bit wayward, you might want to consider taking the air-bellows route.

...well done.

Hear, hear. Well done.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-04-19 8:19 AM

Mr Motorhome

Now that this issue has been satisfactorily resolved financially, a couple of observations.

still carries details of the initial failed test. As the tester now accepts that your motorhome has ‘spring assisters’ rather than ‘bump-stops’, it follows that - if he had understood this to be so originally - he should not have failed the vehicle. It’s probably not a big thing, but it would be best if your Hymer’s MOT history does not show details of the failed test.

2: The Ford Transit FWD platform-cab chassis was never the greatest base on which to build a coachbuilt motorhome, particularly regarding the rear suspension that has no anti-roll bar and a narrow-track axle. Some European converters produced models using this chassis that were long and high and that proved to be wind-sensitive and ‘challenging’ when cornering. Those tendencies were mentioned in this 2007 forum thread

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Anti-roll-devices-/9716/

So if you do find you Hymer can be a bit wayward, you might want to consider taking the air-bellows route.

Yes, and as the person who started that string, but never properly ended it, I should add that I fitted the Driveright/Firestone units myself, in their simplest, bicycle pump inflated form. They turned out to be a huge success, giving a more compliant ride, tautening the tendency to roll on bends etc, reducing cross wind/slipstream sensitivity, improving overall directional stability, and enabling me to raise the rather long tail of the van to eliminate occasional grounding.

Yes, that’s the next thing I’m going to look into ie MIT online history. We mentioned this when we collected the MH. I’ve read differing views on this, some say it can be removed and some say it can’t. I’ll contact DVSA and speak to them.

Regards,

Derek Uzzell - 2018-04-19 8:19 AM

Mr Motorhome

Thanks, Brian.

Brian Kirby - 2018-04-19 9:20 AM

...well done.

Hear, hear. Well done.

When an MOT tester fails a vehicle, presumably details of that failure are recorded at that time on the DVSA computer system. If the vehicle owner then appeals against that decision and the appeal is upheld, logically the original record relating to the ‘failed’ test should be removed (or modified) to reflect that the test should have been passed.

So it ought to be possible to correct your Hymer’s MOT-test history, even though the DVSA might not want to carry out the work this involves.

Thanks, Derek

I’ll look into it further.

Regards,

Derek Uzzell - 2018-04-20 11:03 AM

When an MOT tester fails a vehicle, presumably details of that failure are recorded at that time on the DVSA computer system. If the vehicle owner then appeals against that decision and the appeal is upheld, logically the original record relating to the ‘failed’ test should be removed (or modified) to reflect that the test should have been passed.

So it ought to be possible to correct your Hymer’s MOT-test history, even though the DVSA might not want to carry out the work this involves.

Hi All

Just a quick post for completeness and information for anyone who may read this thread in the future.

Yesterday I received a letter from Ford Technical, the last piece in the jigsaw if you like, and thought I’d attach it here (if I do it right!).

Thanks again everyone.

1738F860-137E-4730-A5C4-C35F97B8647D.jpg.380f4cb97a1fc30d5e4fd0728ef27074.jpg

Archived