Push Fit Connector - 12mm piping - temp repair?

arthur49

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UPDATE

Van collected from dealer today. Fault still existed. Returned and fixed while we waited. Fortunately only 15 mins away. Simply the connector on the end of the tail fitted to hot water supply to shower mixer WAS faulty. I thought wall panel in shower would have to come out to get access to tap to replace the tail with faulty connector. Wrong.

So if you have an Autotrail V-line similar to ours you can access the screw holding on the shower tap by putting hand in cassette cupboard and upwards from there. It is a stretch and not ideal but its do-able.

The semi-rigid plastic pipe used for motorhome/caravan water systems can be ’striped’ or single colour, but as long as the pipe is good quality and matches the push-fit connectors, its colour is academic.

My 1996-built Herald motorhome had striped semi-rigid water-pipe (blue stripe for cold water and red-stripe for hot water: my 2005 Hobby motorhome’s water system used fibre-reinforced clear-plastic pipework and jubilee-clips: my 2015 Rapido has sem-rigid water-pipe but this is black for both hot and cold water feeds.

I note that earlier in this thread Alanf1 asked if an ‘insert’ should be fitted to the end of the pipe. The following advert (on an Australian website) suggests that inserts should be fitted when 12mm semi-rigid pipe is used to deliver hot water.

https://www.caravansplus.com.au/hot-water-pipe-support-insert-suit-12mm-pipe-p-6996.html

Derek Uzzell - 2018-04-20 7:54 AM

I note that earlier in this thread Alanf1 asked if an ‘insert’ should be fitted to the end of the pipe. The following advert (on an Australian website) suggests that inserts should be fitted when 12mm semi-rigid pipe is used to deliver hot water.

https://www.caravansplus.com.au/hot-water-pipe-support-insert-suit-12mm-pipe-p-6996.html

Interesting Derek. But I can't see a UK supplier? I was aware of pipe inserts for 15mm plastic piping as I used it in a house extension but not for 12mm. I'll check this out with dealer on return from our trip

Mmmhhh. Pipe or tube inserts. I've not seen these on any of our motorhomes over the years. On reflection I used these inserts where I connected plastic pipe to copper pipe 15mm using a compression fitting, not on plastic to plastic pipes

This link describes how to use push-on fittings

http://www.thomson-caravans.co.uk/advice/maintenance/push_on.htm

and there’s no mention of fitting ‘inserts’.

John Guest specifies that inserts should be fitted when plastic pipe (whatever the pipe’s diameter) is used with John Guest “Speedfit” products, but the pipework-fittings used on motorhomes/caravans are generally not “Speedfit” parts.

It should do no harm to fit the JG inserts to the ends of 12mm O/D semi-rigid pipework carrying hot water (though the inserts would reduce the pipe’s internal diameter), but as it’s unlikely that motorhome/caravan manufacturers do this, not having inserts does not seem to cause problems. In Arthur’s case the end-connector of the shower control’s ‘tail’ proved to be faulty and a pipe-insert would not have cured that.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-04-21 7:49 AM

................ In Arthur’s case the end-connector of the shower control’s ‘tail’ proved to be faulty and a pipe-insert would not have cured that.

Interestingly the technician at dealers whom I 'grilled' agreed it was the tail that was faulty and so he replaced it, but he conceded that when water is heated to 60degrees (Truma 4E) then the pipe softens, can flex, and enable the joint to fail. Its rare he said, but does happen.

Alanb - 2018-04-21 9:09 AM

Arthur,

For pipe inserts try searching for "Tube Support" on Ebay. Several suppliers and at least one offers inserts ito suit 1 mm increments of pipe ID, that is .....7mm, 8mm, 9mm, 10mm....

Alan

Thanks Alan. I may try some of these inserts when I get home

arthur49 - 2018-04-20 6:00 PM

Keithl - 2018-04-20 4:44 PM

We will be at the AutoTrail factory tomorrow for the ATOC open day so I will try and ask if AT have ever used pipe inserts .

Keith.

That would be interesting to know Keith .....

Arthur,

I spoke to a member of the service department at AT and he said pipe inserts are not necessary for the pressure that the system operates at and to the best of his knowledge AT has never used them . For info our 2004 has 15 mm pipe and no inserts.

I looked carefully at the V-Line 635’s in build and the pipe and fittings where clearly marked as ‘John Guest’.

I took some photos of vans in build but you’ll have to wait until I’m home to post them.

Keith.

Keithl - 2018-04-21 5:32 PM

Arthur,

I spoke to a member of the service department at AT and he said pipe inserts are not necessary for the pressure that the system operates at and to the best of his knowledge AT has never used them . For info our 2004 has 15 mm pipe and no inserts.

I looked carefully at the V-Line 635’s in build and the pipe and fittings where clearly marked as ‘John Guest’.

I took some photos of vans in build but you’ll have to wait until I’m home to post them.

Keith.

Thank you for that Keith. I'm pleased AT have used quality connectors as the thought of another flood is disconcerting.

I think I was harsh in saying that AT's design was awful as it looked to me like the whole wall panel would have to come off to get at the tap tails. I was wrong.

Open cassette door, remove cassette, then put hand upwards from there to reach the back of tap and a single 10mm bolt to get tap off. It didn't look easy to me but he did it in no time - tap off, replace faulty tail, tap on - all in 30 minutes. He also said AT were pretty good for technician access. He was working on a Swift van, don't know model, and he had mega dismantling to do ..... all at £70/hour

According to my partner, This type of push fit lock is very critical to lock by hand and bending hard plastic pipes of what material but of sufficient thickness not requiring inserts. On a straight pipe push in both ends the same can occur. He said i do not believe in it as reliable on their application in motorhomes waterlines.

Hi Arthur,

As promised here is the 'inside view' on how your V-Line 635 was built! Luckily there where a line of 635's in various stages of production so I could get a series of photos for you.

I hope they are useful!

Keith.

1877714365_Shower1.jpg.8bf85c298ff8d6e189728d57cbfd922c.jpg

760615963_Shower2.jpg.318449c25dfcbb56ead54b98e381d077.jpg

665707512_Shower3.jpg.597824376404913417193a1d486b2bb7.jpg

650053559_Shower4.jpg.927bcefe925cd7f92e76cc6e215149e1.jpg

Just seen this interesting thread. I have been using caravans and motorhomes for at least 18 years with these push fit connectors and semi rigid plastic pipe, with hot and cold water in pressure controlled systems, and never had a problem with leaks or disconnections. I can see that fitting an insert would strengthen the pipe, but I won't be rushing out to find some. If it ain't broken, don't try to fix it.

On the OPs 'van, surely there would be other hot water push fits which he has not reported as defective, so I would guess the offending one was duff. My sympathy to the OP on his hassle with the dealer - I have had this in the past and it is not what you want with a new 'van.

Neil B

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2018-04-23 3:31 PM

Nice done Keith. Still like to understand what the white rings are around the couplings. Never seen that before.

Monique,

If you mean the white 'collars' in Arthur's photo below then these are the release rings for the quick release connector.

Keith.

179887854_Showerconnector.JPG.ac779b77b564681d6fe3b6a2b8032e84.JPG

Having just had various leaks on the hot and cold water pipe work on my Autosleeper campervan,i can say that it is incredibly frustrating. Having one dripping pushfit elbow i changed it to a black 12mm JG fitting only to find on repressurising another one dripping.This went on several times ,so i changed 15 connectors,elbows etc until no more leaks.Very frustrating. All the original fittings were Whale . I was informed that inserts were not necessary on 12mm pipe.

I remember - a good many years back - a raft of complaints about the push-fit water-pipe connectors employed by Auto-Sleepers leaking, with it being claimed the white connectors A-S were using were ‘wrong’ and (if leaks occurred) the connector shoiud be changed to a black equivalent.

The final posting of this 2007 Practical Caravan dscussion may be of interest...

https://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/general/8542-help-push-fit-pipes-leaking

Archived