Condensation on windows solution?

michaelmorris

I've recently noticed that we are sometimes getting small pools of water collecting inside the van on the lower window seals. I've worked out that this is condensation. I'm concerned that this could eventually to damp getting into the walls of the van beneath these seals. I'm thinking about trying out a window 'drip strip' laid along the top of the lower seal. Is this a good idea? Will it work?

Thanks.

Hi Michael,

Is this when in use or stored?

If it is when in use then you need to increase your ventilation by possibly cracking open a roof vent. This should help prevent the condensation rather than having to mop it up after the event!

Keith.

Keithl - 2018-04-12 2:43 PM

Hi Michael,

Is this when in use or stored?

If it is when in use then you need to increase your ventilation by possibly cracking open a roof vent. This should help prevent the condensation rather than having to mop it up after the event!

Keith.

It is happening mainly (but not exclusively) when in use.

If it's whilst in use, it's most likely condensation caused by your warm breath meeting cold window surface, especially if on windows close to beds. It can often be minimised by having your roof vent cracked open (hot air rises).

I've found it is more noticeable during cooler months & no a problem in summer.

If you can get a car windscreen sun-shield (foil type usually used to keep the sun out) it can be cut to size to fit motorhome window size (fitted internally) & will definately help.

We had a similar issue years ago and I seem to recall being advised to remove the plugs in the window and allow warm sunlight to reduce the humidity of the air trapped in the window cavity for a few days then refit the plugs and it certainly helped - and cost nowt to do - always a bonus!!

Tracker - 2018-04-12 4:21 PM

We had a similar issue years ago and I seem to recall being advised to remove the plugs in the window and allow warm sunlight to reduce the humidity of the air trapped in the window cavity for a few days then refit the plugs and it certainly helped - and cost nowt to do - always a bonus!!

The problem is condensation on the inside surface of the window, not between the two plastic panes of the window. I

michaelmorris - 2018-04-12 4:43 PM

Tracker - 2018-04-12 4:21 PM

The problem is condensation on the inside surface of the window, not between the two plastic panes of the window. I

My apologies - misread wot you wrote!

It is down to the difference in temp between inside and outside. Warmer air carries increased moisture and when you breath you expell moisture held by the air.

When the warm air cools against the window it can no longer hold the moisture which condenses on the window and gathers at the bottom.

Soooooo you can try and reduce the temperature difference at the condensation point. Silver screens work for us on the cab windows. The habitation windows are more tricky. You really need the insulation on the outside.

We just live with it. If we are away in the winter when the temperature difference is greatest we have strips of towelling we lay along the bottom on the rubber seal in the habitation area and wring out in the morning and dry during the day. We have taken our pvc to the ski slopes and the cab windowshave been dry but the habitation windows very wet. Especially if you have minus 10 or lower outside and 17C+ inside. In those conditions more vents are problematic cos you are trying to stop heat escaping to maintain a liveable temperature and stop draughts.

airing the van out during the day can help depending on the weather. If the air outside is dry open the doors and windows for a while in the morning to exchange the moist air in the van with dryer air outside.

Also consider what you are cooking. Steam from saucepans and kettles increase moisture levels in the air in the van. Perhaps you can change how you cook to reduce steam or have an extractor fan running in the kitchen area.

Not sure if that helps.

Peter

:-|

We get the some condensation on the bottom window seals when it is really cold but non on the glass. Sometimes it only occurs on the one sliding window along the bottom metal frame. This might not be a problem if I cracked open the windows a bit but then the van would get cold so we just put up with it as it is really a minor problem. I wipe the condensation off now and again and have sometimes put some rolled up kitchen roll along the bottom of the sliding window. I was a little concerned about the condensation building up and dripping down the wall which is why I check every now and again and mop it up.

Don636 - 2018-04-12 5:54 PM

We get the some condensation on the bottom window seals when it is really cold but non on the glass. Sometimes it only occurs on the one sliding window along the bottom metal frame. This might not be a problem if I cracked open the windows a bit but then the van would get cold so we just put up with it as it is really a minor problem. I wipe the condensation off now and again and have sometimes put some rolled up kitchen roll along the bottom of the sliding window. I was a little concerned about the condensation building up and dripping down the wall which is why I check every now and again and mop it up.

We have a similar problem on the fixed half of sliding window, a PITA in winter, even with open vents it's surprising how much water is produced, am trialing a stick on channel to direct it onto sliding part.

As for other windows, on Globecars the windows are bigger than opening and the seals sit on bodywork, these seals have two small nicks in them to allow any condensation outside.

michaelmorris - 2018-04-12 2:37 PM

I've recently noticed that we are sometimes getting small pools of water collecting inside the van on the lower window seals. I've worked out that this is condensation. I'm concerned that this could eventually to damp getting into the walls of the van beneath these seals. I'm thinking about trying out a window 'drip strip' laid along the top of the lower seal. Is this a good idea? Will it work?

Thanks.

Michael, in view of the apparent confusion in the replies above, could you be a bit more specific as to which windows you are referring to? I'm assuming this is not the windscreen or cab windows, but the "double glazed" acrylic windows elsewhere? But is it all such windows, or only some?

I'm a bit puzzled that you are seeing condensation on the acrylic windows, but apparently not on the single glazed, glass, windscreen and cab windows, which are far more condensation prone.

‘Drip strip’ should help minimise the chance of water collecting on the seal at the windows’ base causing damage to wall beneath the seal. (Example advert for drip strip here)

https://tinyurl.com/yb4cdepk

The ‘solution’ with double-glazed acrylic windows is to keep the motorhome’s interior warm and to ventilate the interior, but this is often impracticable. To prevent condensation forming on single-glazed windows (eg. the cab glass) the only effective preventive approach is to use insulated external covers.

(I took my Karcher window-vac with me on our recent trip to France and this was surprisingly effective at removing large amounts of condensation from the inside of the cab glass.)

Brian Kirby - 2018-04-13 10:54 AM

michaelmorris - 2018-04-12 2:37 PM

Thanks.

Michael, in view of the apparent confusion in the replies above, could you be a bit more specific as to which windows you are referring to? I'm assuming this is not the windscreen or cab windows, but the "double glazed" acrylic windows elsewhere? But is it all such windows, or only some?

I'm a bit puzzled that you are seeing condensation on the acrylic windows, but apparently not on the single glazed, glass, windscreen and cab windows, which are far more condensation prone.

We have an exterior 'silver screen' that goes over the cab windows. This works very well. The problem is condensation on he inside of the acrylic windows.

Archived