Unwarranted Currency Transactions

ALAN G

Torre del Mar : Camping Caravaning laguna-Playa: Caming Card 2985

Stayed four nights at €19 and as expected the bill came to €.76

Paid with our Nationwide Credit card.and drove happily away.

Later in the day discovered that the credit card receiipt had the following

"I accept that I have been offered a choice of currencies for payment. I accept the conversion rate ant Final amount and that the final selected transaction currency is GBP."

Their charge is £71,09 Using Nationwide it would have been just £68.

I am sure that the "choice" was not offered and really amounts to theft.

Be aware that your friendly receptionist is working for her company.

But the sun at La Garoffa is great.

Offering payment in £ or € is quite common across Europe when presenting a £ credit card. The terminal generally offers the option to select which currency is to be used. This is far from limited to campsites, and it is more likely to be the operating bank than the vendor who benefits. Just something to be aware of, and keep an eye on when paying.

Brian Kirby - 2018-05-26 12:36 PM

keep an eye on when paying.

exactly because default mode is naturally for them to do the currency exchange and get the commission.

If you want to avoid that you have to carefully read everything on the screen, and untick the box etc. Which perhapst the OP has not done

I have never, in many credit card transactions, ever been "offered" a chice of currencies. Your suggestion that it is common is unrealistic. Last year we had two occasions when the card account was debited in British Pounds. Both were transfers that had been changed by the cashier without agreement, One was at a monastery.

Yes, be aware, but I have never seen a checkbox on the card terninal where you enter your PIN. Perhaps you are talking about ATMs which we never use.,This scam still amounts to theft.

In the last 30 years of camping I have always paid cash inthe local currency. As a matter of interest if I succumb to card use and given the choice do I opt for sterling or the local currency?

A large number of sites are keen for cash for tax reasons !

bobalobs - 2018-05-26 6:54 PM

In the last 30 years of camping I have always paid cash inthe local currency. As a matter of interest if I succumb to card use and given the choice do I opt for sterling or the local currency?

Always local currency!

ALAN G - 2018-05-26 5:44 PM

I have never, in many credit card transactions, ever been "offered" a chice of currencies. Your suggestion that it is common is unrealistic.

In France and Germany we have often been offered the choice of local (Euro) or Sterling currencies. Always at supermarkets.

During our travels over the years we have been offered the choice of local or A$ options. I have tried both and found that local currency wins out every time. It is th same with extracting cash from an ATM compared to currency exchange. Our home bank always has the best conversion rate. Our solution is to use two credit cards (from different accounts) load one up with the amount of anticipated cash needed to extract cash from ATM's. Our bank has arrangements with overseas banks to not change a crossover fee so we try to extract money from their outlets. We use the second one for credit card transactions to avoid reducing the cash credit balance. Sorry a little off topic but may be of interest to some. Cheers,

ALAN G - 2018-05-26 5:44 PM

I have never, in many credit card transactions, ever been "offered" a chice of currencies. Your suggestion that it is common is unrealistic. Last year we had two occasions when the card account was debited in British Pounds. Both were transfers that had been changed by the cashier without agreement, One was at a monastery.

Yes, be aware, but I have never seen a checkbox on the card terninal where you enter your PIN. Perhaps you are talking about ATMs which we never use.,This scam still amounts to theft.

Like you, Alan, I'm basing my opinion on personal experience.

I can't answer for why you haven't experienced this more often, but can only caution you that I have: sufficient to say I find it common. It may reflect where we've each been, but I am very familiar with the risk, and check before entering my PIN.

I see little benefit to you in arguing that I must be wrong on the basis that you don't share my experience. Act on the warning or not as you choose - its your decision.

bobalobs - 2018-05-26 6:54 PM

The last time I compared it was cheaper to pay with local currency on a credit card than it was to draw currency from the ATM and pay in cash.

Archived