WARNING! using Gravelines Aire about 20 mins from ferry

kevandali

Thought I would post mainly because we always use this aire when returning from Dunkirk or Calais. 

I was there Thursday night and as normal, had a walk round, bit of a bike ride and even tried to catch some fish. 
I still think it is a lovely aire for €7.50 but please take extra precautions as I recently found out that friends of ours spent their first night there on their 3 week trip and were woken up in the early hour by a slight noise and jumped out of the van just in time to see someone pedalling away on 1 of their 3 bikes that were secured on the bike carrier.
I don't have any details about where they covered up, how many locks etc etc but I myself am at a loss how to prevent this happening as we had two bikes and a dog trailer stolen about three years ago and they were locked up with two seperate locks.

Our answer at the moment is to use two locks to attach our bikes to the bike carrier and a third lock to lock both bikes together and then both bikes are covered in tarpaulin with about 6 or 7 bungee straps.
Probably still wouldn't work but makes it a bit harder for the scumbags/lowlifes.

How about using one of those portable battery powered 'Window open' alarms tucked up in the tarpaulin that covers your bikes for protection, to try and ensure it doesn't happen to you as well?

If the tarpaulin is disturbed it will hopefully warn you?

I think they are only about £8?

Just install it each night before bed rather than something permanent?

I suppose if a habitual bike thief is targetting the relatively easy pickings of bikes on racks on the back of MHs, he is likely to have a system for releasing them, such as a pair of bolt croppers to cut the cable or chain of a lock.  If so equipped it would take only a few seconds to cut the bike free and to be away, if the bike is rideable.

Would an alarm cable, which would sound off if the cable was cut, or tricks like removing one of the pedals, to frustrate rapidly riding away, serve better than locks?

StuartO - 2018-06-04 10:41 AM

Would an alarm cable, which would sound off if the cable was cut, or tricks like removing one of the pedals, to frustrate rapidly riding away, serve better than locks?

Or turn the handlebars 90 degrees and re-tighten the bolt! We used to have to do this to get five bikes on the roof of our old car and only took a few seconds each.

Keith.

kevandali - 2018-06-03 9:42 PMThought I would post mainly because we always use this aire when returning from Dunkirk or Calais. 
I was there Thursday night and as normal, had a walk round, bit of a bike ride and even tried to catch some fish. 
I still think it is a lovely aire for €7.50 but please take extra precautions as I recently found out that friends of ours spent their first night there on their 3 week trip and were woken up in the early hour by a slight noise and jumped out of the van just in time to see someone pedalling away on 1 of their 3 bikes that were secured on the bike carrier.
I don't have any details about where they covered up, how many locks etc etc but I myself am at a loss how to prevent this happening as we had two bikes and a dog trailer stolen about three years ago and they were locked up with two seperate locks.

Our answer at the moment is to use two locks to attach our bikes to the bike carrier and a third lock to lock both bikes together and then both bikes are covered in tarpaulin with about 6 or 7 bungee straps.
Probably still wouldn't work but makes it a bit harder for the scumbags/lowlifes.
We've stopped on Graveline Aire lots of times. We were there last Tuesday and Wednesday night 29 and 30 May. I read two feedback items on Camper Contact I think it was, before we arrived, both warning of bike thefts in 2017. That made us nervous as we had 2 electric bikes! These were secured with two substantial Oxford motorbike locks on a towball mounted carrier. The batteries are always stored and carried inside the van.About 2.10am on Thursday morning I heard shouting. I looked out and saw a black clad figure pedalling furiously past our van. My view of him was perhaps 2 seconds and no way would I recognise him again. We were leaving early so I assumed a bike had been stolen, and went to catch our crossing. I did see a van on the grassy part of the Aire, with a rear mounted carrier, no bikes on it, and the cover pulled up and pushed down back of carrier. Maybe it was their bike(s) stolen? Or after the incident to a neighbour they took the bikes inside?Anyway, we will be avoiding Gravelines from now on

There is a review on Camper Contact on 28 May by Rob Turner saying that two youths tried to steal their bikes but they ran off after disturbing occupants. "Cover gone and kryptonite locks cut"

That incident was before we were there, so seems like its two incidents in a week

I would like to think that if I’d heard a lot of noise and clearly people in distress as a fellow Brit and motorhomer I would do more than just look out of the window and watch the culprit escaping. It’s very disheartening; sickening even, to read that people were watching and did nothing; not even to ask if we were Ok after the event.

Saying I did nothing as I had an early ferry does nothing to restore my faith in humanity.

As Stuart O mentioned we have a cable that connects to an external plug on our alarm which is threaded through (A scooter) same thing. When we turn in for the night we set the alarm. It also has several other chains and locks (lol)

Unfortunately a thief generally knows how to get passed all sorts of deterrents. These culprits I would suspect are immigrants and just taking a chance.

It's annoying that when you work hard for something some lowlife comes along and nicks it.

>:-(

Sounds like an excuse to investigate electric fence modules and wiring >:-(

Web search on "burglar alarm taser wiring" gives interesting search results in pages away from the first few pages displayed.

Only please remember to switch it off, and ground, the wiring before unloading.

Rgds

Barcobird - 2018-06-07 2:26 PM

As Stuart O mentioned we have a cable that connects to an external plug on our alarm which is threaded through (A scooter) same thing. When we turn in for the night we set the alarm. It also has several other chains and locks (lol)

Unfortunately a thief generally knows how to get passed all sorts of deterrents. These culprits I would suspect are immigrants and just taking a chance.

It's annoying that when you work hard for something some lowlife comes along and nicks it.

>:-(

So all the toe rags do is leave the alarm wire until the very last moment, after cutting all your locks and chains they then break the wire and run! Or cycle in this case!!!

By the time you are awakened by the alarm your bikes are long gone, sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear.

Keith.

Hi

We had an attempt to steal our bikes at the Calais aire a few years back. I had an alarm wire linked to Van Bitz alarm. I had wound the alarm wire tightly around the locks and frame so when they started to cut off locks off went the alarm and they ran off. We were lucky.

You can never stop thieves but can make life difficult so they move on. We have multiple locks, usually three, plus a cover so seeing is not easy, an alarm, and a dog.I also turn handle bars 90o on the outside bike so it can’t just be ridden away, and keep battery’s in the van. I figure I can’t do more.

I don’t insure cos premiums for good bikes can be 5%+ of purchase price ( or at least that’s my experience for stand alone comprehensive cover). I do what I can to minimise risk and will live with it if I am unlucky.

It’s still a big shake up when the alarm goes off at 2 in the morning! My language as I spliced th alarm wire back together to reset the alarm was not the best.

Peter

They were disabled and had three locks on them, chains and a full cover. There were other bikes with less security but ours were chosen; but what is most upsetting is that from the post above, (from arthur49) it is clear that people sat in their van, watched and didn’t even check if we were ok. We could have been injured or dead. Nothing.

That’s the most hurtful thing.

These posts re.break ins usually on Aires close to ferry ports, i read of annually, yet i've used the same Aire at Bray-Dune for years without problem. I use it to overnight before setting off and also spend a night there on return.

It's totally free too with no limit on stay. Plenty of restaurants within a 2min walk and the sea front is just 5mins away. About 10-15min drive from Dunkerque ferry port it's easily found as it's central and usually a number of motorhomes parked up.

An elderly French couple were parked next to me and they had a couple of electric bikes on the back. Maybe their m/h didn't attract attention so much as it was like the owners....elderly!! (lol)

thebishbus - 2018-06-07 5:39 PM

As well as security it is a good idea to disable the bikes. Chain off. peddle off . one brake full on, saddle off, handlebars loose, take your pick.

Brian B.

I thought bike racks were for carrying bikes !

You may as well dismantle it and put it in the garage then spend half an hour putting it back together every time you use it (lol)

Archived