Recipes that work in Motorhomes?

Usinmyknaus

michele - 2007-01-25 6:24 PM That is what I call living MOM. Sounds fantastic . ;-) good for you.

Hey Michele, G'day!

I think the only reason I live is for food. Well, some other things too!, but food is up there on the top!  Still on the Scotland theme, go to the Oban docks and get a freshly dressed lobster, open a bottle of Semillon, toss a fresh, crisp salad and a sit on the beach as the sun sets.  It doesn't get much better than that!  Well, perhaps languostines on the barbie in a Loire farmhouse, but that's another story!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An old chef's trick for cleaning mussels you're not certain about. Put the mussels in a bucket of clean water, disperse about a teaspoon full of finely ground oatmeal in the water, leave for a couple of hours. The mussels feed like mad on the oatmeal sifting the clean water through their system and removing any bugs. Drain & cook (if you can stand the wait..)

Another fishy if you are fortunate enouh to catch mackerel in clear sea water. Fillet immediately and simmer in 1/4 inch of fresh sea water in a frying pan. Eat with fresh crusty bread and an appropriate glass (or bottle!)

Cooked fresh like this they won't stink the van out otherwise fish is definitely for cooking on the barbie.

Incidentally, I know I like to take the odd glass of vino but being a brewer I also like to try the local beers. Have a go, you might surprise yourselves.

Mike P

The cellar is easy - even my tiny Transit has one. Our church communion wine comes in boxes neatly divided into bottle-sized compartments. The box itself (WITHOUT communion wine - if we want that on holiday we'll find someone else who's dispensing it) fits neatly under one of the bench seats, and hey presto, "wine cellar."

Tony

Catch or collect some nice fesh makerel from fishermen in the harbour, preferably twice as many as you think you need for a meal.

Clean them ready to cook. put a layer of sliced onions on a piece of foil followed by the fish, thinly sliced strips of rind from a lemon, slices of lemon with all pith removed as this is bitter, salt and pepper and a few knobs of butter fold the foil to make a sealed parcel and cook in the oven for 25 minutes. You can eat half of them and save the other to have cold with a salad the following day. The same recipe works with fillets or steaks of salmon which can be done at home. If you find the onion is not quite cooked part cook it first next time.

chas - 2007-01-27 4:45 PM

Does anyone bother to take a pressure cooker with them, which should by rights save on valuble gas. chas

A Pressure Cooker was the main cooking pot in our Van years ago. (early 70's) It was certainly efficient and assume we saved gas, but it was it's convienence that won the day.

The most memorable use was on Lindisfarne, ambled down to the Quay and selected two Crabs, immediately the boat landed. Less than 5 minutes later tried to get them in the pressure cooker. The Crabs were too big for both of them in the pressure cooker at the same time, so prepared the salad whilst the first cooked. Cleaned the cooked Crab and tossed the 2nd in. BUT could not wait,

French Stick, Salad, 1 Crab & a bottle of plonk (not sure I could get away under the trades description act, to call it wine, today) the 2nd Crab was ready as we finished the 1st.

Still makes my mouth water. Even the aromma comes drifting back.

Anyone know where we can obtain a small pressure cooker today, as that one from the 70's is no longer around.

Flicka

Before trying this :- Please make sure you know how to dress a Crab.

The consequences of getting it wrong are very unpleasant.

BUT get it right and you'll be back for more.

Oh yes the pressure cooker is a well used tool in our van ,curries ,stews ,soups etc lovely and so quick,next is the three tier steamer for super vegatable cooking also very quick and ecconomical on gas usage.Another must have is our double skillet in which we roast meat,heat pies,make cakes etc again very eccononical on gas usage .Our latest buy is a Remouska cooker,what a super tool this is, only 500 watts electricity and the cooking results are superb,it roasts ,makes stews ,bakes cakes ,heatspies etc ,we dont have an oven in our van ,this was by choice as the one we had in our previous van was pretty useless and used a lot of gas ,but with the above cooking tools we can produce any meal we desire quickly and well.

Only a small one .

langoustines Or Dublin bay Prawns to some.

Get the langoustine crack straight in the centre so cut in half long way's

Place under the grill Dust with garlic and butter so you can make garlic butter or buy which ever you prefer.

cook & Eat

Don't forget the wine from this thread as it's a good year good luck. ;-)

Get long green Taglatelli.

Bacon

Mushrooms

Pot of Fresh Cream

1 pot of pesto red or green but if having green taglatelli make it green otherwise choose white taglatelli.

Garlic up to you how much.

Fry the mushrooms bacon garlic.

Boil the taglatelli.

Drain tip the whole lot from the frying pan add the pestoand whole pot of cream mix together .

Parmesan if you like . Hey presto........really filling.

• 1 month later...
Guest starspirit

In France we lived mainly on baguettes and anything that you can eat with, on, beside or in a baguette.

Cheap simple and effective - just like me.

Pressure cookers are great but unless it is a warm dry day and you can have the door open the volume of steam soon turns the van into a foggy sauna.

But on warm dry days do you really want to cook a hot meal when there is sunshine to be enjoyed.

Do please always remember that the chef is supposed to be on holiday too?

Hope this one will help

For 2

Fry in a frying pan 1 med onion until soft with 1or 2 cloves of garlic depending on taste add 6 slices of smoked streaky bacon chopped in to small pieces and fry till cooked add tin of chopped tomatos tesco value very good for this or fresh if you have some that need using up + tbls of tomato paste or to taste & cook for about 20mins add a bit of stock if it looks as if it is drying out or water if you do not have stock or some wine if you have some . Well this is cooking, cook enough Spaghetti or other pasta for 2, add sauce to pasta and engoy I hope .You could add mushrooms or red or green pepers with the onion for a change.

flicka - 2007-01-27 10:31 PM

chas - 2007-01-27 4:45 PM

Does anyone bother to take a pressure cooker with them, which should by rights save on valuble gas. chas

A Pressure Cooker was the main cooking pot in our Van years ago. (early 70's) It was certainly efficient and assume we saved gas, but it was it's convienence that won the day.

The most memorable use was on Lindisfarne, ambled down to the Quay and selected two Crabs, immediately the boat landed. Less than 5 minutes later tried to get them in the pressure cooker. The Crabs were too big for both of them in the pressure cooker at the same time, so prepared the salad whilst the first cooked. Cleaned the cooked Crab and tossed the 2nd in. BUT could not wait,

French Stick, Salad, 1 Crab & a bottle of plonk (not sure I could get away under the trades description act, to call it wine, today) the 2nd Crab was ready as we finished the 1st.

Still makes my mouth water. Even the aromma comes drifting back.

Anyone know where we can obtain a small pressure cooker today, as that one from the 70's is no longer around.

LAKELAND PLASTICS Do a small pressure cooker, expensive though.

pete

Flicka

Before trying this :- Please make sure you know how to dress a Crab.

The consequences of getting it wrong are very unpleasant.

BUT get it right and you'll be back for more.

breakaleg - 2007-03-18 11:36 AM

LAKELAND PLASTICS Do a small pressure cooker, expensive though.

pete

QUOTE]

Hi Pete

Thanks, but here is the one I found, if it's of any interest to you.

Half the price of Lakeland stock.

Tefal Sensor Classic Pressure Cooker

Available on Tesco Direct

Flicka

Good for you Flicka.

A small pressure cooker lives full time in our van. Put boiling water in first. saves a lot on cooking time.

If we have hook-up power we always take a small 'George Foreman' this also is superb and quick, cooks all sorts of stuff.

Found our pressure cooker at a local old fashioned hardware store in Chorley Lancs. Expensive though.

• 2 months later...
michele - 2007-05-24 7:44 PM

Who is it that has a double skilet can someone tell m anything about them please i am thinking of buying one and I need to know what it is exactly that they do....or what can be done in /on them .

very much abliged.

we have one - and rumour has it you can do anything - frozen oven chips - full roast dinner - pizza - jacket potatoes - best way to check it out is visit the D&F stand at motorhome shows. The trick is 'patience' [which is a big problem for me ] get the temperature right and simmer in a sealed unit. You can get a recipe sheet from D&F or just wing it.

The beauty of it is that for the most part the food cooks in its own juices - and flavours the meal.

Alternatively you can stack them up [apparently even with a steamer in the middle] and just use one hob.

The unit consists of:

2 pans with a rim so that one can sit inside the other - or overlap to seal, a glass lid and removable handles.

There are some available from other sources by generally they are from D&F - available mail order or shows.

hth

B-)

• 1 month later...

Archived