Recipes that work in Motorhomes?

Usinmyknaus

Before we go away I cook a load of mince, onions, garlic and tinned tomatoes and season it. I then freeze it in several two-person portion sized freezer bags. When thawed this base gives options of cottage pie, chilli, spaghetti bolognese or a dish SWMBO likes, essentially a cottage pie with a tin of baked beans added to the base. Doing the base beforehand does make life easier once away.

I would not have found this thread if it had not been bumped and there are some good ideas in it.

Mick Bajcar

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

Our favourite is done using the oven so it might not suit everybody.

In a roasting pan put some or all of the following boneless chicken thighs, peppers cut in big squares whole button mushrooms, onions quartered, butternut squash cubes, aubergine cubes, cherry tomatoes, whole chillies, a tin of new potatoes some olive oil mixed with lashings of paprika and mixed herbs.

Now put this in the oven for 40 minutes and sit back and relax or play a game etc.

We also do this without the chicken and BBQ some meat and just use this for veg.

I would do paella a lot but OH does not like it.

I have a cast iron Dutch oven that can go directly on the fire so if we are BBQ'ing then I just put all the veg in that shove it on the coals or on the grate with a few coals on the lid.

This can varied by adding a tin of tomatoes and/or chickpeas and lots of other stuff.

One of my most favourite dishes.

Enjoy

Roll on the hot weather.

Andy

I've just read a few of your posts and I have to say that you guys are good. We are still very new to this motorhoming game so we are hoping to advance beyond cooking croissants, scrambled eggs and coco pops soon enough.

:D

i don't go away in the MH to COOK! I have to do that at home. SO simple meals for us when away. Anyway we go to the SUN, so don;t need to cook much hot food. If we want something cooked , go out for a meal.

Lifes to short (and getting shorter) to cook on holiday

PJay

PS OH doesn't cook, never got him trained!!

PJay - 2017-02-18 6:56 PM

i don't go away in the MH to COOK! I have to do that at home. SO simple meals for us when away. Anyway we go to the SUN, so don;t need to cook much hot food. If we want something cooked , go out for a meal.

Lifes to short (and getting shorter) to cook on holiday

PJay

I have to do that at home too but surely we all have different requirements and it is where the motorhome gives us versatility!

We rarely eat out as my Wife is not very mobile and tires very easily, especially in the evening so I usually cook (I always do at home) and some of these simple recipes in this thread are useful.

I love curry and tried one at home that was very simple the other day. It was rather mild for me but was even enjoyed by SWMBO - who is not a great fan of them usually. It was a sachet of a Lloyd Grossman sauce, a Mango and Coconut Korma. Two diced chicken breasts were lightly fried then simmered in the sauce for 15 mins, as simple as that. I have always worried about the smell of cooking a curry in the confines of the motorhome but I am certain it would not be an issue.

Mick Bajcar

i know I should have trained him, as I don't particularly enjoy cooking, We married very young , so he had no time on his own to need to cook., but does all the other jobs , so can't complain, and after 60 years of marriage, too late now. He can manage a frying pan, and a tin opener!!

My sons are very good cooks, so no problem there!!

I envy the wives , who's husbands do the cooking and baking. I even have a friend who's husband used to make her and 2 daughters clothes!!

Would not change him now!

PJay

Archived