Recipes that work in Motorhomes?

Usinmyknaus

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Michelle

We tend to always keep stuff like pasta in the m/h, plain and those pasta mixes you can get. also i keep stuff like a jar of pesto, tinned toms, tinned mushrooms.... so can usually cobble something together.

For Bruce when he's in a don't care about the bulge mood I to the following...

Tinned mushrooms

Ready made bechamel sauce (can use cream for this instead if easier)

Seasoning (usually a splash of balsamic glaze, shake of curry powder and whatever else I can find to shove in)

Serve either with mashed potato (packet one from cupboard) or crusty bread.

A tip for the mussel fans of the paella..... at the Spanish supermarket Mercadona you can get frozen ones ready cleaned which save so much hassle..... and some mixes of paella spices which you just sprinkle in... but the ingredients vary from region to region and what they have in their cupboards (which if the supermarket yesterday was anything to go by, not a lot!!)

I enjoy cooking in the motorhome, it is part of the experience.

I sit there (in the sunshine!) contentedly shelling peas, preparing veg etc ready for the event and watching the world go by.

I cook most things that I would at home, I just have to be more organised in thinking of ways of getting along with the two burners that I have.

Useful recent discoveries for me are the Senseo pod of coffee (used in the mug) which means I do not have to clean out grounds from a filter and rice in cooking bags. Well I am old fashioned in cooking from scratch most of the time. But Friday the OH must have fish & chips, he is also type 2 diabetic and so my cooking is very healthy, no cream.

Recipes - well almost anything from the small Sainsbury's A5 sized cookbooks, they cover a very wide range and I change them with the weather and just for something different.

Joyce

dragonflyer - 2008-06-12 1:22 PM

Joyce

Me too! I love being able to roll over and put the kettle on, the bread in the toaster, and the bacon under the grill without getting out of bed! (lol)

J9withdogs - 2008-06-13 8:09 PM

dragonflyer - 2008-06-12 1:22 PM

Joyce

Me too! I love being able to roll over and put the kettle on, the bread in the toaster, and the bacon under the grill without getting out of bed! (lol)

and turn on the heater n radio :D :D :D :D

B-)

we use the double skillet - remoska takes up too much room for us >:-)

take lots of pasta n quick n easy bottled sauces - add an onion - tinned tuna - some chilli perhaps - mopped up with some fresh bread n salad on the side

and for afters mmmm some excellent cake

tinned potatoes tinned chick peas tinned tomatoes chilli n garlic

=

bombay potatoes

B-)

• 3 years later...

Just bought a 3L pressure cooker from Amazon, nice and compact for 2 of us, but no separators in it. Will be good for steak & kidney, casseroles etc, as well as cooking veg quickly. I actually enjoy cooking and have more time for it when we're away. I'll cook more or less anything I would cook at home, although not keen on having the gas oven on for too long as it must use a lot of gas, so would have to have it filled up to osue it. There is only one rack in the oven, so I have a large round cake tin in the bottom with an oven tray standing on it to give two levels..

Mary

Never got on with pressure cookers, don't like the 'retorted' taste but then I'm dead fussy don't like UHT, instant coffee, teabags. etc!

With ordinary pans plus double skillets and just two rings we cook almost everything we do at home - coq au vin, fairly genuine curries, pork escalopes in brandy cream, aubergine & lamb mousaka, spag bol, saute potatoes, usual veg plus parsnip chips, etc. Our griddle BBQ (Beauclaire) can be pressed into service for grills and even something of an oven. Baking & roasting is generally a bit of a problem but we have done both in a double skillet and have even baked bread from scratch using our 'Omni Holiday Oven'. It's said to be good for casseroles too but we haven't tried that one. Instant food might be a tin or packet of really good quality soup poured over some pre-cooked pasta. Only things that defeat really us are dishes like quiche - you really do need an oven for that. And PS: no bother about gas - we're rarely hooked-up but use refillable LPG (Gaslow) so always a plentiful supply and cheaper than Calor too.

I was reading this with great interest and then saw a post from me and realised how old the thread is! :D

A nice tasty quick and easy pasta dish for 2 adults - don't be tempted to put in too much cheese or garlic otherwise you will overpower it:

Sauce ingredients

Olive oil

1 small Onion (red or white)

2-3 cloves of Garlic

White Pepper

Dried Mixed Herbs

150ml approx pot of Double Cream

50g approx Cheddar Cheese (although Emmental, or something similar will do too)

100g of Cooked Ham - thin pre-packed supermarket sandwich ham is best!

1. Put a glug of olive oil into a pan and put on low heat

2. Chop the onion finely and saute for a few minutes

3. Grate the garlic and add to the pan, cook for a further 2-3 mins until everything has softened

4. Poor in double cream, a good shake of pepper and a good pinch of dried herbs, mix everything together, put lid on pan and leave to warm gently until it starts to bubble a little

5. Grate/finely dice cheese and add to pan a bit at a time mixing well each time and put the lid back on remembering to mix occasionally whilst the cheese melts and prevent the sauce sticking (ideally use a silicon spatula - if the sauce is a bit too thick, use a drop of milk to thin it a little).

6. Cut ham into half inch squares and separate (it will stick together like glue otherwise!) before adding to pan and mixing well, allowing to warm through for a minute or two.

7. Add cooked pasta to the pan and carefully mix with the sauce - serve immediately with crispy bread.

Hint: Cook your pasta at the same time as the above, then once drained allow it to let the steam off for a minute before adding to the sauce, that way it won't make the sauce watery.

I often make a batch of the above, but leave out the ham, and freeze it to make a quick and easy meal - just add the ham once you have warmed the sauce through that way it won't go rubbery.

Enjoy!

:-D

The Best thing we ever bought is the double skillet. We loved it in the 'van, & bought the bigger one for home. Use it all the time. Couldn't believe at the last 2 shows we went to -Cheshire, she'd run out, & the NEC she wasn't even there at all. Apparently the raw material from China was hard to come by. Hope she'll be at ExCel as need to get one for a friend.

Rosie - 2012-01-22 8:02 PM

The Best thing we ever bought is the double skillet. We loved it in the 'van, & bought the bigger one for home. Use it all the time. Couldn't believe at the last 2 shows we went to -Cheshire, she'd run out, & the NEC she wasn't even there at all. Apparently the raw material from China was hard to come by. Hope she'll be at ExCel as need to get one for a friend.

Read on another forum that she has retired and the company doesn't have anyone else to take her place, so no show at Exxcel this year.

Mel B - 2012-01-22 6:08 PM

I was reading this with great interest and then saw a post from me and realised how old the thread is! :D

:-D

You and me both Mel!

But thanks for the new contribution.

This evening we enjoyed Clive's paella from page 1 of the thread - works at home too!

• 1 year later...
michele - 2007-01-25 4:26 PM

Boring but Fresh Rib Eye Steak.

Green beans

New potatoes ....

glass of Vino .......

The Rib Eye just melts in your mouth ......

Another ..........

Ciabata Bread or French stick toasted.

Drizzle over if you like French dressing

Load it with Rocket salad ...

Smidgen of Dijon mustard

Slap on the Rib Eye.........

both quick and easy...........

Clive can I come with you & Rick Stein there?

I'm with you there lass. We've just picked up a dozen rib eye from our local butcher and frozen them ready to take when we set off for Norfolk on Tuesday. Plan is to,have some family join us for a BBQ weather permitting. If not we will take them out for a meal and eat the stakes at a later date ourselves,

flicka - 2007-01-26 11:44 PM

Tony Jones - 2007-01-25 12:56 PM

(And yes, of course we had a bottle of red in the cellar to wash it down!)

Tony

First we get vans with Garages, when the van should only go in the garage for parking purposes.

Now I see we have a van with Cellar.

What will the manufactures they think of next?

Hope it's no further DOWN.

I don't want to boast but we have two cellars in ours. One for wine at the back and one for beer just behind the drivers seat.

Flicka

Tony

First we get vans with Garages, when the van should only go in the garage for parking purposes.

I don't want to boast but we have two cellars in ours. One for wine at the back and one for beer just behind the drivers seat.

Flicka

Tony

Flicka

Archived