Usinmyknaus

Guest pelmetman
Colin Leake - 2013-06-06 10:23 PM

michele - 2007-01-25 4:26 PM

Boring but Fresh Rib Eye Steak.

Green beans

New potatoes ....

glass of Vino .......

The Rib Eye just melts in your mouth ......

Another ..........

Ciabata Bread or French stick toasted.

Drizzle over if you like French dressing

Load it with Rocket salad ...

Smidgen of Dijon mustard

Slap on the Rib Eye.........

both quick and easy...........

Clive can I come with you & Rick Stein there?

I'm with you there lass. We've just picked up a dozen rib eye from our local butcher and frozen them ready to take when we set off for Norfolk on Tuesday. Plan is to,have some family join us for a BBQ weather permitting. If not we will take them out for a meal and eat the stakes at a later date ourselves,

Ditto the Rib eye ;-)..................best cut of steak, far superiour to fillet in my humble opinion B-)............and cooked for just a minute on each side ;-)....................served with lump of stilton on top and home made Maris Piper or Charlotte chips :D

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one pan breakfast -

Fry sausages, when almost cooked add bacon, when that's almost cooked add breakfast mushrooms then add a tin of tomatoes, tomato pure, seasoning and a little mixed herbs - leave to simmer on low for ten to 15 mins. Delicious with fresh doorsteps!

Thai inspired green chicken curry -

Soak strips of chicken in lime juice, stir fry in a hot pan until white (not starting to brown) add chopped spring onions, chilli peppers, ginger (the stuff in jars work fine). Once fried off add a tin of cocnut oil and simmer for half an hour. Add corriander ten mins before end of cooking. Serve over basmati rice. Really refreshing dish.

We often take home made soups with us (carrot and orange is our fave - Mary Berry's recipe) and home made lasagne, which is a doddle to make and freeze, ideal with a fresh salad.

In an emergency we always have a Fray Bentos pie and a pack of Smash.

Guest pelmetman
Bolly1965 - 2013-06-07 6:36 PM

In an emergency we always have a Fray Bentos pie and a pack of Smash.

Heathen :D.................but I like your other recipes ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
pelmetman - 2013-06-07 7:52 PM..............but I like your other recipes ;-)

You, and all the posters on this thread could also try "Two Pan Cooking" by Cheryl Foster (Armcher publications) which has some excellant recipes and all are designed for motorhome cooking. Haven't tried them all as yet but those I have tried are quick, easy, and very tasty.

• 4 months later...

Just looking back over this . I saw Empress giving her recepies for Normandy Pork . I never did get to tell her that every winter it gets made quite alot . I never did get to thank her . Where have all these wonderful people gone sad I know we all move on ..If you posted on this and you are still here say hello sometime before its too late x

8-)

Seems Mel & Tony re read it also , wonderful hints tips & info ..

Just a quick tip for slow cooker users. I you use a ready made packet to add to your cooking don't waste money on products made for slow cookers use ones for casseroles at half the price instead but only add half the amount of water recommended on them. The reason being that not much water boils off so less is needed. Results taste kist the same.

I'm still here occasionally 'Chele, although I spend more time over on PMH now.

Not only do I go back to this thread from time to time, I've also just bought Martin Dorey's "Campervan Cooking" (Our Co-op are doing a "collect the stamps" promo, so I got it for £3).

Looks as if it'll be fun to try some of his stuff too.

SCAMPI PROVANCAL

chop a small onion and fry gently in a generous knob of butter.

add a tin of chopped tomatoes, a little tomato puree and a desert spoon of sugar. cook for about ten min.

meanwhile boil some rice and rinse well ( the microwave is great for this.

add prawns to the tomato mixture and cook for a minute or so.

put the rice on a plate and spoon over the tomato/prawn mixture.

EAT

(the thing is cooking in a motorhome is no different from cooking at home - that is providing you cook at home !!!!)

I've read all through this thread and no-one seems to have mentioned SPAM.

SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM.... with Heinz Baked Beans and home-made chips - absolute heaven and probably the worst food imaginable for your health.

Easy to do in a van, and carry in the emergency food box. If you want to be posh, replace the chips with sauteed Charlotte potato slices.

Mind, not any supermarket own-brand luncheon meat, but the original SPAM in the blue tin.

IanL.

• 1 year later...

Just returniing to The Dark Side to acknowledge that this is the most helpful thread, anywhere on the Internet, EVER.

We've just thoroughly enjoyed Clive's Paella (7th post on page 1), even though it's December and England. If it was summer and we were in Agde, we'd have chilled the red wine, but after a day of Christmas shopping in Chelmsford, this recipe was the business!

Cheers Clive (are you sure I can't persuade you to come over to PMH?).

Tony Jones - 2014-12-01 8:34 PM

Just returniing to The Dark Side to acknowledge that this is the most helpful thread, anywhere on the Internet, EVER.

We've just thoroughly enjoyed Clive's Paella (7th post on page 1), even though it's December and England. If it was summer and we were in Agde, we'd have chilled the red wine, but after a day of Christmas shopping in Chelmsford, this recipe was the business!

Cheers Clive (are you sure I can't persuade you to come over to PMH?).

Careful now Tony, you might get banned for "Poaching"

Not a lot appears happen on PMH, whenever I look

PJay

blackfingers - 2013-10-31 11:25 AM

I've read all through this thread and no-one seems to have mentioned SPAM.

SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM.... with Heinz Baked Beans and home-made chips - absolute heaven and probably the worst food imaginable for your health.

Easy to do in a van, and carry in the emergency food box. If you want to be posh, replace the chips with sauteed Charlotte potato slices.

Mind, not any supermarket own-brand luncheon meat, but the original SPAM in the blue tin.

IanL.

Oh yes spam is the past present and future of all things culinary. I love it and its very adaptable. Mrs ips is weird as she likes it cold on a sandwich but hates the smell of it cooking. Weird.

One of the easiest one-pot recipes that I use is risotto.   Butter+olive oil+onion+garlic (omit if you don't want to stink the van out)+black pepper+mushrooms+chicken+rice+boiling water+chicken stock cube & if it's in season, chuck in a bit of fresh asparagus at the end.   Serve with grated cheese and more black pepper.   When out in the sun, I've got a low wattage hotplate which is used outside with a griddle or ordinary pan to cook fish, hamburgers, sausages, steak etc.   I also have one of those small gas rings in a case to do the same when not hooked up.  Makes me wish summer were here already!

Try Vesta Beef Risotto and their Paella in packets , Knob of Butter in large fry pan, empty Packet of rice and cook for 3 mins (don't brown) add 130mls of water add Ingredients Packet, bring to boil then simmer for 20 mins or till all liquid is absorbed and enjoy, quite Tasty for Packet food.

Corky 8 - 2014-12-02 2:46 PM

Try Vesta Beef Risotto and their Paella in packets...

Do they still make that?...Blimey..

I used to like that as a kid. I remember the Beef Risotto was really brown and the Paella("with prawns")was a sort of artificial yellow colour... (lol)

Vesta , eh!..now that was exotic... (lol)

pepe63 - 2014-12-02 3:32 PM

I used to like that as a kid. I remember the Beef Risotto was really brown and the Paella("with prawns")was a sort of artificial yellow colour... (lol)

Didn't they make that from Swans?

I was going to say the same thing. Did not know it was still made, thought it had died , like so many "nice " things of another era. All I see when I look on shelf at supermarkets , are usually curry based (I hate Curry) To-morrow when I go to Tesco I am going to look for it.

I have noticed that it depends where you live as to what is on the shelves even in the big ones In Tesco at Catterick , there is alot of rice based foods (lots of Gurkas , at the army camp) in my local one , less "foriegn" food, more English based

PJay

PJay - 2014-12-02 7:50 PM

I was going to say the same thing. Did not know it was still made, thought it had died , like so many "nice " things of another era. All I see when I look on shelf at supermarkets , are usually curry based (I hate Curry) To-morrow when I go to Tesco I am going to look for it.

I have noticed that it depends where you live as to what is on the shelves even in the big ones In Tesco at Catterick , there is alot of rice based foods (lots of Gurkas , at the army camp) in my local one , less "foriegn" food, more English based

PJay

I noticed it in Tesco a few months ago I was surprised it was still made I remember it used staple camping diet when I was 15, yuck.

Pauline, I suggest you don't go to India, curry for breakfast, lunch & dinner, surprising how quick you get used to it. We survived a month without any upset tummies and when we got home carried on eating curries several times a week for quite a while, home made of course nothing like the stuff UK curry houses pass of as curry.

lennyhb - 2014-12-02 9:55 PM

PJay - 2014-12-02 7:50 PM

PJay

I noticed it in Tesco a few months ago I was surprised it was still made I remember it used staple camping diet when I was 15, yuck.

Pauline, I suggest you don't go to India, curry for breakfast, lunch & dinner, surprising how quick you get used to it. We survived a month without any upset tummies and when we got home carried on eating curries several times a week for quite a while, home made of course nothing like the stuff UK curry houses pass of as curry.

Hi Lenny

I have been to India! We went 18 years ago, for our Ruby Anniversary. I did survive, as fortunately we had a choice of European food I did not eat any indian food , and I was the ONLY one of a party of 20 odd people who was not ill on the plane , which then took us on to Thailand.My OH was also affected,, but not so bad , as he left the dining room with me, and had a burger. One guy was so bad he was hospitalised in Thailand, and lost a lot of weight (I did take some cup a soup with me , as an emergency though) Very interesting country, as long as you aviod the food!!

P

PS forgot to say the covers are great

P

michele - 2007-01-25 12:10 PM

Take a load of Prawns from France the BIG UN's

Get a frying pan

add a liitle garlic

Add a little butter

Add a little salt

Fry till nice and Golden

serve on a bed of rice if you like . Otherwise french stick ripped up for the mopping up . Glass of Red.

Use frozen bag of rice

• 2 years later...

Archived