Day 253 and the boots changing to the other foot..........

Guest pelmetman

Maybe the debate is too hung up on racism? Racism is, IMO, just a form of prejudice based on perceived ethnicity. What about the all those other prejudices, based on religion, gender, sexual orientation, social status, nationality - even hair colour and left handedness. They all centre on aspects of a person that they can't, or can't bring themselves to, change. Aren't they all equally disreputable?

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brian Kirby - 2018-08-24 6:37 PM

Maybe the debate is too hung up on racism? Racism is, IMO, just a form of prejudice based on perceived ethnicity. What about the all those other prejudices, based on religion, gender, sexual orientation, social status, nationality - even hair colour and left handedness. They all centre on aspects of a person that they can't, or can't bring themselves to, change. Aren't they all equally disreputable?

As usual spot on ... Someone called me spotty due to my teenage spots so I want that to recognised the same as racism ... Spotism its disgusting

Hi,

When telling Irish joke became non-PC, I changed the central characters to Ramblers ( (I drive a 4x4). A member of my 4x4 forum complained.

I met an American, and got chatting. I mentioned Red Indians.

"You can't call them that!"

"What can I call them?"

"Native Americans".

"What do they call themselves?"

"Native Americans".

"What do they call us pale-faces?"

"Assholes!"

Everybody in the group ... one American, two Welsh,one half Welsh, half Polish, and myself (half Welsh, half Scottish) agreed that they were probably right. Did that make us inverted-racists?

I don't like those funny green men who might live on Mars. But that does not make me a racist until I express that dislike by derogatory word or deed. I don't like spinnage either, but it's not a crime if i spit it out ... yet. No doubt the EU legislators will get round to it.

pelmetman - 2018-08-22 8:38 PM

Brian Kirby - 2018-08-22 7:43 PM

To elect he MP you judge best suited to exercise his judgement wisely. It is not, and never has been, in UK democracy, that your MP is there to do as you want him/her to do.

So what are their manifestos for? *-) ..........

You know those things that they use to tell the electorate what they will do if we vote for them ;-) ..........

Like we will give you a referendum on Brexit >:-) .............

The manifestos are issued by the parties, not the candidates, but the election is primarily to elect your local MP, not a particular party.

Many do just vote blindly for a party, and some have said that in certain constituencies that have been unwaveringly left or right wing since before the ark, a chimpanzee would be elected if it wore the correct colour rosette.

That's where the referendum manifesto commitment crept in. Some idiot whose name I've forgotten got the win up that his party was under threat from another party that was especially keen on a referendum. His nerve cracked, he disregarded that his primary duty was to his country and not his party, and decided to curry favour by offering the electorate a referendum as an inducement to vote for his party instead of the other lot. Sadly, it worked. But what does that say for the unfailingly incisive critical faculties of the electorate as a whole? Hmmmmmmmm! So much for democracy.

Apologies to Antony for the chimpanzee quip, as I know he is especially sensitive on these matters. :-D

antony1969 - 2018-08-23 3:15 PM……………………….Nope ... Your either racist or not ... Telling a paki joke like telling an Irish joke , German joke doesn't make you racist ... If you tell a gay joke your a homophobic ??? If you tell a joke about gingers your against gingers ??? If you tell a joke about yanks your anti American ??? Give up ... Racist or not tha's no bit about it

The best Jewish jokes I've heard have consistently come from the Jewish people. So now Jews are anti-Semitic? :-D

Brian Kirby - 2018-08-25 6:50 PM

antony1969 - 2018-08-23 3:15 PM……………………….Nope ... Your either racist or not ... Telling a paki joke like telling an Irish joke , German joke doesn't make you racist ... If you tell a gay joke your a homophobic ??? If you tell a joke about gingers your against gingers ??? If you tell a joke about yanks your anti American ??? Give up ... Racist or not tha's no bit about it

The best Jewish jokes I've heard have consistently come from the Jewish people. So now Jews are anti-Semitic? :-D

Nope never said that ... Jews are funny and can poke fun at themselves ... Comedy should have no boundaries

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-08-25 6:43 PM

That's where the referendum manifesto commitment crept in. Some idiot whose name I've forgotten got the win up that his party was under threat from another party that was especially keen on a referendum. His nerve cracked, he disregarded that his primary duty was to his country and not his party, and decided to curry favour by offering the electorate a referendum as an inducement to vote for his party instead of the other lot. Sadly, it worked. But what does that say for the unfailingly incisive critical faculties of the electorate as a whole? Hmmmmmmmm! So much for democracy.

That'll be UKIP ;-) .........and voters like me :D ..........

I can see why you don't like democracy (lol) ..............

<<< The manifestos are issued by the parties, not the candidates, but the election is primarily to elect your local MP, not a particular party. >>>

Hi Brian,

True, but in many cases, the MP represents the Party. I suspect that many voters do not know who the candidates are, so the vote for the party of their preferred Prime Minister.

I understand that for EU elections, you can only vote for the Party, not the candidate (although his/her name will be mentioned). That way, if the MRLP member pops his clogs, his successor will be chosen by the MRLP members, not by a by-election.

Hmmm! Democracy is rule by the people or their representatives. If my representative is chosen by, and therefore represents, somebody else, does that mean the EU is not a democracy?

Would things be different if each EU state could only elect ONE member.

Of course, in the UK everyone in England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland each had one vote in the EU Referendum. Oops, I got that wrong ... I fogot that Scotland, as a whole, claims to have a vote too

Hi.

If Scotland surrendered sovereignty to England, in return for England bailing them out in 1707, should Scotland repay that money before claiming independance, and abstaining retrospectively from the Referendum Vote. The recount should be interesting.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/sep/11/britishidentity.past

You are correct, I don't know what I'm talking about., so please enlighten me.

W3526602 - 2018-08-26 9:41 AM

Hi.

If Scotland surrendered sovereignty to England, in return for England bailing them out in 1707, should Scotland repay that money before claiming independance, and abstaining retrospectively from the Referendum Vote. The recount should be interesting.......602

I think they might mention the oil! :-D

W3526602 - 2018-08-26 9:27 AM

<<< The manifestos are issued by the parties, not the candidates, but the election is primarily to elect your local MP, not a particular party. >>>

Hi Brian,

True, but in many cases, the MP represents the Party. I suspect that many voters do not know who the candidates are, so the vote for the party of their preferred Prime Minister...………………….602.

True, and I was being pedantic. However, the MP is only an MP once elected, before that they are all just candidates, generally representing various parties, though a few have stood as independents. So, should we vote for the person we like the most as a candidate, or merely for the person whose rosette is the colour we prefer?

malc d - 2018-08-26 5:54 PM

Sadly - under our voting system - if you live in a constituency that has been a " safe " seat for many years - voting in general elections is often pointless. :-(

Very true, and to change that the voting system would have to be changed. Turkeys and Christmas? :-D

Brian Kirby - 2018-08-26 6:04 PM

malc d - 2018-08-26 5:54 PM

Sadly - under our voting system - if you live in a constituency that has been a " safe " seat for many years - voting in general elections is often pointless. :-(

Very true, and to change that the voting system would have to be changed. Turkeys and Christmas? :-D

Very true Brian - it ain't gonna happen !

( So we aren't really " taking back control " from the EU - merely transferring it back to the Establishment in London )

:-|

Ultimately, the actual control lies in the hands of the MPs, and through them, parliament. But if the MPs won't exercise their individual powers and vote against their party when they think it is making a mistake, parliament cedes power to the parties, whose agendas are seldom quite what their manifestos declare them to be. There are factions within factions within both main parties (the others are really too small to have factions! :-)), and small groups with specific objectives can wield far greater influence that their numbers suggest buy trading favours for support. It is the dominance of these interest groups within the parties that has, largely, destroyed democracy.

The main problem, IMO, is that the parties select the candidates for election, and by and large they select the candidates who are the most biddable, least critical, individuals with the greatest potential for election in their particular constituency. So, again, turkeys and Christmas? I think we need primaries, so that much larger groups select the candidates.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-08-26 5:46 PM

W3526602 - 2018-08-26 9:27 AM

Hi Brian,

True, but in many cases, the MP represents the Party. I suspect that many voters do not know who the candidates are, so the vote for the party of their preferred Prime Minister...………………….602.

True, and I was being pedantic. However, the MP is only an MP once elected, before that they are all just candidates, generally representing various parties, though a few have stood as independents. So, should we vote for the person we like the most as a candidate, or merely for the person whose rosette is the colour we prefer?

Us folk who aren't political lemmings, vote for what direction we want the country to go.......hence I voted UKIP.......and then Tory when DC offered a referendum ;-) ..........

Works for me :D ..........

<<< Us folk who aren't political lemmings, vote for what direction we want the country to go....... >>>

Hi Pelmetman,

Do you mean that I am not alone in being a confirmed Floating Voter?

I have voted to benefit the country (Tory). I have voted to benefit myself (Labour), which didn;t work. I have even voted Green when I had a few acres, even joined the Party ... but couldn't understand all their scientific gobbledegook - worse than the RSPB magazine.

I've heard it suggested that we need a Green Europe, Conservatives in Westminster, and Labour in the Town Halls. Maybe Independants in the Parishes?

Guest pelmetman
W3526602 - 2018-08-28 5:27 PM

<<< Us folk who aren't political lemmings, vote for what direction we want the country to go....... >>>

Hi Pelmetman,

Yep ;-) .............It's us folk that actually get things changed........not the lemmings :D .......

pelmetman - 2018-08-28 6:39 PM

Hi Pelmetman,

Yep ;-) .............It's us folk that actually get things changed........not the lemmings :D .......

That's interesting, Dave. I had you down as a Brexit lemming. To the cliff, to the cliff, and over we go! :-D

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-08-29 8:42 PM

pelmetman - 2018-08-28 6:39 PM

Hi Pelmetman,

That's interesting, Dave. I had you down as a Brexit lemming. To the cliff, to the cliff, and over we go! :-D

Just 211 day's until we jump :D ............

• 3 weeks later...
what are we jumping into?? I've just booked my winter trip to Spain coming back next May (after brexit) now the tunnel + my MP have told me they cannot say if I will be able to bring my dog back in with me, also my insurance company cannot tell me if I will still be insured after the end of March, what a bloody mess

teccer1234 - 2018-09-15 2:35 PM

what are we jumping into?? I've just booked my winter trip to Spain coming back next May (after brexit) now the tunnel + my MP have told me they cannot say if I will be able to bring my dog back in with me, also my insurance company cannot tell me if I will still be insured after the end of March, what a bloody mess

It's a mess alright but don't worry, there's a bloke on here called Dave Pelmet who is an expert on flouting the new immigration rules and has it all sussed how he will survive as an illegal immigrant in Spain. I'm sure he will have all the answers :(

Archived