12v van tyre pump recomendations please.

chas

After my trusty old tyre pumps air hose decided to split with old age, was looking for some one who could recommend one they use. have tried some of these small ones advertised with wild claims of up to 300psi *-) completely useless. Need one to cover up to 60psi. I am not into fitness lessons by using foot or arms for pumping, but like to carry one with me in the van to be completely independent of garage forecourts with the hassle that can sometimes bring. Cheers.

I have tried all sorts over the years,all of the 12v pumps, including a more expensive one, have failed within a couple of years. I stripped the last one to see what was wrong. The cylinder (cast monkey metal) had split and the plastic piston and plastic ring was shredded.

My next purchase will be a proper UK built truck pump. They are not cheap but I have had enough of the cheap, and not so cheap ones.

H

A couple of tyre-inflator-related forum discussions in the last 12 months (There are plenty more earlier ones.)

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Tyre-Compressors/48906/

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Tyre-Inflation/48185/

There’s little doubt that, if you want reliability and to be able to inflate a motorhome tyre from, say, 20psi to 80psi relatively quickly, a 12V tyre pump with those assets won’t be cheap and won’t be usable from a standard dashboard 12V socket.

A potential snag with the more expensive, higher output, tyre pumps is that they often have a tyre-valve screw-on connector as shown in vindiboy’s photo. (The same type of connector is used with my T-Max pump.)

A screw-on connector is fiddly to attach to and detach from the tyre-valve and, unless care is taken, a good deal of air can be lost. As discussed in this 2015 forum thread

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Schrader-quick-release-tyre-valve-adapter/37438/

what’s needed is an adapter that will screw into the original connector and attach/detach quickly to a tyre-valve with minimal air loss - something like the adapter in the photo below.

I eventually managed to obtain a similar product from Halfords. It was priced at £10 and has a ‘thumb-lock’ connector and a short hose with a braided metal outer cover. It works well, but Halfords no longer seem to market it.

From a purchasing point of view, the difficulty is in being confident that the threaded male end of the adapter has been designed to screw into the threaded female end of the pump’s connection-hose. It looked like the Halfords adapter would do this and, luckily, it did.

maxxair-premium-230v-air-compressor.jpg.9e8bc731959ed82a6a2ef0f992ec8b82.jpg

vindiboy - 2018-07-27 10:38 PM

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/tyre-inflators-pressure-gauges/ring-heavy-duty-tyre-inflator-rac900 I have a Ring inflater similar to this one, great item 70PSI no problem. Pictured is the one I have, comes in a great zipped case too.

Another thumbs up for the Ring, it has worked tirelessly for the last 4 years. Although not a significant problem, I agree with Derek, occasionally the disconnect process can sometimes fiddly, and if that adaptor could be found again, I, for one, would buy one.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for the recommendation on the 'Valve Access Tool'.

I got one from my local Halfords but had to order it in on a 24 hour order. Usually costs £10 but I've got a Trade Card so saved £2.

The lad on the counter who served me had never seen one before but agreed it was a brilliant idea and couldn't understand why they didn't stock it.

Keith.

Archived