My No Deal Brexit planning.......

Guest pelmetman

Tracker - 2018-09-14 5:45 PM

Perhaps he is checking the cockles he found in the sand are the right size to put in his cockle sack - as determined by the pre Brexit EU minions?

I think your right Rich ... Daves winkle is defo EU regulation size according to Barry ... 50mm when fully cooked apparently ... Lordy

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tracker - 2018-09-14 5:58 PM

That was a serious posting about cockle size, trust you to lower the tone with inuendo Antony, but at least it was not racist

It prolly was a bit racist in the eyes of the permanently offended on here ... Im sure Daves cockle size is the required EU size whereas Barrys maggot which supposedly is used to tempt fruits of the sea is prolly way under size ... Oh dear

<<< Been there and done that,when you apply for your UK licence you have to send in your French licence to the DVLA with your application. >>>

Hi,

That is the current siuation. You are only allowed to hold one EU licence. But two questions .... What happens if you exchange your UK licence for a USA licence, then return to the UK? Do you have to exchange your US licence for a UK licence? Or can you use your UK entitlement to apply for a UK licence?

What happens if you visit USA, and pass your test, without mentioning that you have a UK licence.

Many years ago, Stirling Moss was disqualified for changing lanes in one of the Thames tunnels. He needed a driving licence in order to be allowed to race. Not a problem ... he also held a USA licence (which would NOT have allowed him to drive on the road while disqualified)..

I have written to my MP about this, asking for a definitive answer from DVLA..

W3526602 - 2018-09-14 6:25 PM

<<< Been there and done that,when you apply for your UK licence you have to send in your French licence to the DVLA with your application. >>>

Hi,

That is the current siuation. You are only allowed to hold one EU licence. But two questions .... What happens if you exchange your UK licence for a USA licence, then return to the UK? Do you have to exchange your US licence for a UK licence? Or can you use your UK entitlement to apply for a UK licence?

What happens if you visit USA, and pass your test, without mentioning that you have a UK licence.

Many years ago, Stirling Moss was disqualified for changing lanes in one of the Thames tunnels. He needed a driving licence in order to be allowed to race. Not a problem ... he also held a USA licence (which would NOT have allowed him to drive on the road while disqualified)..

I have written to my MP about this, asking for a definitive answer from DVLA..

You have to show you've been resident with a permanent address in UK for at least 185 days before you can exchange it but can drive up to 12 months on your foreign licence, after that you must apply for full UK one.

All explained here; https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-driving-licence

antony1969 - 2018-09-14 7:31 PM

Well Lordy would you Brexit believe it ... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45517279 ... The sweet smell of Brexit

No surprises there Corbyn is for the many, not the few, and the Tories the other way round.

QUOTE: moves Chanel closer to one of its fastest growing customer bases with "spending on luxury goods by affluent London households being only second to Hong Kong, in terms of growth".

As the gap between rich and poor in London reaches new extremes it makes sense for them to sell the most expensive products in Knightsbridge. But what about the other 99% of the people?

antony1969 - 2018-09-14 7:31 PM

Well Lordy would you Brexit believe it ... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45517279 ... The sweet smell of Brexit

"And will create Dozens of jobs!" Blimey! We are saved.

Wealthy luxury company moves here for tax purposes creating posh office jobs in almost double figures (in London).

Not really going to help tens of thousands of workers in car plants like Jaguar Land Rover and the rest of our car industry when its either moved to the EU or gone bust.

John52 - 2018-09-14 8:42 PM

But what about the other 99% of the people?

Many of them, granted some are too thick to even be allowed to breed, but many could learn from the 1% to get off their backsides and make the effort to better themselves and then they too could help Chanel employ two more less lazy Londoners.

Tracker - 2018-09-14 10:05 PM

Many of them, granted some are too thick to even be allowed to breed, but many could learn from the 1% to get off their backsides and make the effort to better themselves and then they too could help Chanel employ two more less lazy Londoners.

Many do go to work Richard but even with London weighting, you need to be earning well in excess of the national average....and then comes the issue of finding an affordable place to live. Rents are exorbitant and property purchase a fantasy dream. Living in London doesn't come cheap.

Bulletguy - 2018-09-14 10:26 PM

Many do go to work Richard but even with London weighting, you need to be earning well in excess of the national average....and then comes the issue of finding an affordable place to live. Rents are exorbitant and property purchase a fantasy dream. Living in London doesn't come cheap.

You could live like a king up here on £30k a year but you would need two or three times that for the same standard of living in London yet the average wage there is less than £40K!! Only about £11K more than the country wide average. I wouldnt go back there for less than well in excess of five figures. Even a fecking beer was about seven quid last time I Was there. :-(

Barryd999 - 2018-09-14 11:37 PM

You could live like a king up here on £30k a year but you would need two or three times that for the same standard of living in London yet the average wage there is less than £40K!! Only about £11K more than the country wide average. I wouldnt go back there for less than well in excess of five figures. Even a fecking beer was about seven quid last time I Was there. :-(

Joint income needs to be around the £100k mark for a reasonable (not excessive) standard of living. I spent a week at my lads place to see my grandchildren after coming back into UK. I'd only got about £40 in cash so withdrew £100 from an ATM once off the ferry. Three days later i'd got just a tenner in cash left. £100 goes nowhere in London with espresso's costing £2.75 to £3.50 a shot (Serbia and Bulgaria i'm paying around 50p.....and that's brought to the table!) or a takeaway for three of us £56.

Beers? Get half p*ssed for a tenner in Poland or Romania and a fresh cooked quality meal can easily be found for a fiver or less at a nice Restaurant.

Utter rubbish ... I know lads who work in London all the time and they say like anywhere you have to look around for value ... You can pay big money to drink and eat out there but you can do the same here in Huddersfield ... We have pubs knocking out £2 pints then we have bars knocking out much higher priced beer ... Its the same in all big towns and cities ... As for surviving/living you dont need anywhere near what Barry says to live in London if ya did why are folk so eager to live there ... Average families live quite happily on quite average wages

antony1969 - 2018-09-15 6:49 AM

Utter rubbish ... I know lads who work in London all the time and they say like anywhere you have to look around for value ... You can pay big money to drink and eat out there but you can do the same here in Huddersfield ... We have pubs knocking out £2 pints then we have bars knocking out much higher priced beer ... Its the same in all big towns and cities ... As for surviving/living you dont need anywhere near what Barry says to live in London if ya did why are folk so eager to live there ... Average families live quite happily on quite average wages

Well that wasnt my experience but its been a while. I think you can just about exist on average wages but its a miserable life unless your on a good screw. I remember being totally horrified when I worked there and found out how much staff were paying for rent or mortgages compared to oop North and even just travelling about and commuting put a big dent in your wage. The office I worked in in Darlington relocated in 1997/8. I was only one of a handful that went.with them. For me it was the best decision I ever made but the staff in Darlo were paid less, were much higher calibre but were wealthy and had a great life. Staff in London were paid more but never seemed to have a pot to pi$$ in or anything left over. Im talking secretaries, admin staff etc on pretty average wages. IT was the same in the branches. Those up north were paid less but were generally better staff but seemed to be better off than equivalent London staff.

The difference about London was the sky was the limit. Your chances to fly there were much much higher than anywhere else and once you hit the spring board if you were lucky enough you were away but it was s**te if you were in a dead end job.

Guest pelmetman

I wouldn't live there full stop :-|...........I prefer to live in Britain ......not a international cesspit >:-) ........

pelmetman - 2018-09-15 8:38 AM

I wouldn't live there full stop :-|...........I prefer to live in Britain ......not a international cesspit >:-) ........

Thats a bit racist 8-)

Guest pelmetman
antony1969 - 2018-09-15 8:59 AM

Thats a bit racist 8-)

No...... its Cesspitist ;-) ..........

Barryd999 - 2018-09-15 7:48 AM

Well that wasnt my experience but its been a while. I think you can just about exist on average wages but its a miserable life unless your on a good screw. I remember being totally horrified when I worked there and found out how much staff were paying for rent or mortgages compared to oop North and even just travelling about and commuting put a big dent in your wage. The office I worked in in Darlington relocated in 1997/8. I was only one of a handful that went.with them. For me it was the best decision I ever made but the staff in Darlo were paid less, were much higher calibre but were wealthy and had a great life. Staff in London were paid more but never seemed to have a pot to pi$$ in or anything left over. Im talking secretaries, admin staff etc on pretty average wages. IT was the same in the branches. Those up north were paid less but were generally better staff but seemed to be better off than equivalent London staff.

The difference about London was the sky was the limit. Your chances to fly there were much much higher than anywhere else and once you hit the spring board if you were lucky enough you were away but it was s**te if you were in a dead end job.

Of course you can exist and more on average wages in London or anywhere else millions do ... Working in London and living in digs be it a Band B or top hotel and going out on the fizz every night aint the real world Barry but then again you aint lived in the real world for years ... Who'd wanna live in London anyway you need a stab vest on just to take the dog for a walk and you cant walk down the streets for fear of being robbed by those on scooters or getting acid whizzed in ya mush ... Minging place and aint guna get any better with Sadick in charge

pelmetman - 2018-09-15 9:07 AM

antony1969 - 2018-09-15 8:59 AM

Thats a bit racist 8-)

No...... its Cesspitist ;-) ..........

Thats gotta be racistist to cesspitists surely ... A bit

antony1969 - 2018-09-15 9:09 AM

Barryd999 - 2018-09-15 7:48 AM

Of course you can exist and more on average wages in London or anywhere else millions do ... Working in London and living in digs be it a Band B or top hotel and going out on the fizz every night aint the real world Barry but then again you aint lived in the real world for years ... Who'd wanna live in London anyway you need a stab vest on just to take the dog for a walk and you cant walk down the streets for fear of being robbed by those on scooters or getting acid whizzed in ya mush ... Minging place and aint guna get any better with Sadick in charge

Existing is not living though is it? And whaddaya mean Ive not lived in the real world for years? I had to stay in a Premier Inn once when the Hilton was closed for a refurb. No fecking room service! That was an eye opener I Can tell you.

I dont remember having to wear a stab vest though. Then again I didnt have a dog or walk anywhere. How many millions of tourists come each year without getting killed to death?

Bulletguy - 2018-09-15 12:38 AM

Three days later i'd got just a tenner in cash left. £100 goes nowhere in London with espresso's costing £2.75 to £3.50 a shot (Serbia and Bulgaria i'm paying around 50p.....and that's brought to the table!) or a takeaway for three of us £56.

Beers? Get half p*ssed for a tenner in Poland or Romania and a fresh cooked quality meal can easily be found for a fiver or less at a nice Restaurant.

Nobody needs espresso coffee or beer or to eat out to live happily so if a few more addicts got their priorites right and spent their money on what they really need rather than what they fancy they might suddenly find that life ain't so bad after all?

In order to reach the good years many of us went through tough years and I do have to say that on balance not having a new car when all my mates did or expensive foreign holidays or boozy nights out or over priced meals at poncy restaurants was worth the sacrifice to sit very comfortably and be able to afford those things now.

Better to be a smart customer with a dumb phone than a dumb customer with a smart phone.

Tracker - 2018-09-15 1:16 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-09-15 12:38 AM

Three days later i'd got just a tenner in cash left. £100 goes nowhere in London with espresso's costing £2.75 to £3.50 a shot (Serbia and Bulgaria i'm paying around 50p.....and that's brought to the table!) or a takeaway for three of us £56.

Nobody needs espresso coffee or beer or to eat out to live happily so if a few more addicts got their priorites right and spent their money on what they really need rather than what they fancy they might suddenly find that life ain't so bad after all?

In order to reach the good years many of us went through tough years and I do have to say that on balance not having a new car when all my mates did or expensive foreign holidays or boozy nights out or over priced meals at poncy restaurants was worth the sacrifice to sit very comfortably and be able to afford those things now.

Better to be a smart customer with a dumb phone than a dumb customer with a smart phone.

Just examples i used to show the extremes. Life in UK isn't cheap..period. Price of an espresso has crept up to £2.25 in my locality which is well north of London. As for me personally i rarely drink in UK as the social atmosphere has gone (along with many pubs too!) since the smoke ban. Also never bothered at home....eg, this year i left UK end of May prior to which the last time i'd had a drink was New Years eve. As for new cars....i've never bought new in my life and wouldn't thank you for one either. Every vehicle i've owned, including my current van, i've paid cash outright. Still work on the old adage my Dad drummed into me as a kid....."if you haven't got the money in your savings or bank account then you can't afford it". May seem harsh to some, but it kept me away from the pitfalls of life on finance.

Bulletguy - 2018-09-15 3:35 PM

Still work on the old adage my Dad drummed into me as a kid....."if you haven't got the money in your savings or bank account then you can't afford it". May seem harsh to some, but it kept me away from the pitfalls of life on finance.

Exactly, try telling that to today's generation of credit card wielding consumerism mad keeping up with their mates obsessed spendthrifts.

If the principles that we used to ensure financial security applied to today's generations the country would be a happier place, although VAT income might well go down so more income tax would be needed!

Whatever happens with Brexit our finances are solid so I doubt it will matter on a personal basis, but I do wonder about those who are up to, or over, their earballs in debt!

Archived