Fiat theft warning from Comfort

plwsm2000

Matrix Meanderer - 2018-11-21 7:01 PM

Maybe try this:

On holiday this year a Brit showed me how he fitted a long hasp padlock through the steering column joint (at the bottom) on his Fiat Ducato. It was quick, easy to get to and totally immobilised the steering wheel.

Would need an angle grinder to cut it off which should slow the low life down a lot.

Not visible from the outside however but seemed a cheap effective extra layer of security.

Worth a try?

Problem is they would be in with the engine running and attempting a fast getaway by the time they discovered the steering wouldn't turn so then what? What would they crash into and how much damage would they cause?

IMO You need something far more visible before they even attempt to break in.

Keith.

Keithl - 2018-11-21 7:08 PM

Matrix Meanderer - 2018-11-21 7:01 PM

Maybe try this:

On holiday this year a Brit showed me how he fitted a long hasp padlock through the steering column joint (at the bottom) on his Fiat Ducato. It was quick, easy to get to and totally immobilised the steering wheel.

Would need an angle grinder to cut it off which should slow the low life down a lot.

Not visible from the outside however but seemed a cheap effective extra layer of security.

Worth a try?

Problem is they would be in with the engine running and attempting a fast getaway by the time they discovered the steering wouldn't turn so then what? What would they crash into and how much damage would they cause?

IMO You need something far more visible before they even attempt to break in.

Keith.

Personally it wouldnt worry me if it caused them to drive over a cliff, as long as they didnt get away scot free.

Anything that slows them down/annoys them/injures them is fine in my book. Visible or not, just as long as it works.

Motorhomes are stolen,not just for parts,but a decent one is disguised and exported, Recently a warehouse outside Cork was raided by the Garda and in it were motorhomes,expensive high end cars and caravans all 'wrapped' in plastic ready for export. My own vehicle was ,I suspect,put into a shipping container and got out that way.

Interesting thread, Thanks - especially Deneb.

I wondered if it would be possible to disconnect a coule of wires to the OBD socket and replace them when you want to use it. But there are no wires out the back - the socket all looks integrated into one large unit.

andy mccord - 2018-11-21 12:21 PM

Im curious about all these statements of theft of motorhomes, whilst im sure some do indeed get stolen, i keep asking myself, what are they stealing them for?, is the trade in second hand habitation parts booming? because lets face it, they are not exactly small vehicles and they do stand out & I would think more difficult to sell on as they are a lot more unique than the vans they are based on? just a thought....but it would be a lot easier to steal a van

I think you'll find it's more to do with insurance companies looking for an excuse to increase premiums more than anything tbh! Have a look at the majority of posts on here.....common factor, panic. Everything from wheel clamps to turning their homes into Checkpoint Charlie! So that's a plus success for companies. Right, we've whipped up enough hysteria, now lets slap 'em with premium increases.

If there genuinely has been this huge increase in Fiat/Ford based motorhomes.......where are the statistics? And how do those figures compare with their commercial base equivalent? I'd be very interested to see both....IF such even exist. Ask your insurer if they know and they will tell you they don't have any figures other than "there has been an increase in theft of this vehicle type".

My PVC is Ford based. Now whilst used Transit parts have a very good market, there isn't much of one for used Autosleeper 'bits'. A stolen Ford Transit or Fiat commercial van is highly desirable, has a lower profile than any pvc or mh, and easily sold on complete or as parts....but how many folk want a van fridge, wardrobe door, or toilet? Not very many!!

Guest pelmetman

This thread has convinced me I was wise to invest in a garages for our camper, rather than a new camper ;-) .........

Plus the garage didn't depreciate......Nor was it obvious to the local scroats we were away :D ........

Archived