Happy Hundred Days Everyone........

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman
Fast Pat - 2019-03-14 6:31 PM

MPs have voted to extend Brexit beyond 29 March by backing a government motion forced on Theresa May by the Commons.

The motion, which May was forced to agree to if her own Brexit plan was defeated again, as it was on Tuesday, decrees that the government will seek agreement with the EU for an extension to article 50 beyond that date. It was passed by 412 votes to 202.

The motion says that if a Brexit plan is agreed by 20 March then this would be a brief, technical extension until 30 June – if not, it says, it would probably involve a longer period, and the UK taking part in upcoming European elections.

Better reset your countdown......

The opportunity to give the EU another kicking in polls would be ample compensation for having to reset the UK freedom clock B-) ...........

Curiously the EU doesn't seem that keen on us taking part .......I cant think why? >:-) .......

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pelmetman - 2019-03-15 8:30 AM

MPs have voted to extend Brexit beyond 29 March by backing a government motion forced on Theresa May by the Commons.

The motion, which May was forced to agree to if her own Brexit plan was defeated again, as it was on Tuesday, decrees that the government will seek agreement with the EU for an extension to article 50 beyond that date. It was passed by 412 votes to 202.

The motion says that if a Brexit plan is agreed by 20 March then this would be a brief, technical extension until 30 June – if not, it says, it would probably involve a longer period, and the UK taking part in upcoming European elections.

The opportunity to give the EU another kicking in polls would be ample compensation for having to reset the UK freedom clock B-) ...........

Curiously the EU doesn't seem that keen on us taking part .......I cant think why? >:-) .......

I wouldnt be so sure about that actually. Farage will split the anti Brexit vote with his new party and from what I have seen on social media groups there are wheels in motion already to support Pro EU candidates in any possible EU elections. Depends who will be best at getting people out to vote in elections ironically they are not usually that fussed about. I bet you cannot even name your MEP(s). Im in direct contact with mine (well apart from the UKIP one) (lol)

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-03-15 3:04 PM

pelmetman - 2019-03-15 8:30 AM

I wouldnt be so sure about that actually. Farage will split the anti Brexit vote with his new party and from what I have seen on social media groups there are wheels in motion already to support Pro EU candidates in any possible EU elections. Depends who will be best at getting people out to vote in elections ironically they are not usually that fussed about. I bet you cannot even name your MEP(s). Im in direct contact with mine (well apart from the UKIP one) (lol)

I guess we'll have to wait and see ;-) ...........at the moment the EU doesn't look that keen on allowing us extend article 50 to include the elections........especially as the "Losers Vote" seems to have been kicked into touch :D .........

pelmetman - 2019-03-19 8:40 AM

Happy Ten Days Everyone :D ..........

My how the time has flown 8-) ........

To you Dave n'all ... Time has flown ... Weve had tears , dummies thrown , hissy fits , more tears , name calling after name calling by the remain side and that's just on here ... Will Brexit happen as we wanted it and just about everyone I know wanted it ??? One thing is for sure come next election we are guna have a lot of ex MPs looking for work and Brexit has made me realise what a sad lot half the country are

"The European commission opposes extending British membership of the European Union to June 30 as British prime minister Theresa May proposed on Wednesday, according to an EU document seen by Reuters.

In a note on the Brexit process reviewed by the commission at its weekly meeting on Wednesday, officials wrote that leaders meeting May at a summit on Thursday faced a “binary” choice of a short delay of Brexit from March 29 to before May 23 or a long delay to at least the end of this year, with Britain obliged to hold an election on May 23 for European parliament lawmakers.

“Any extension offered to the United Kingdom should either last until 23 May 2019 or should be significantly longer and require European elections,” the document said. “This is the only way of protecting the functioning of the EU institutions and their ability to take decisions.”

EU states which were due to receive additional legislative seats after Brexit would need to know by mid- to late April if they would be denied those seats because Britain was staying.

The note also said that in any extended membership, Britain should, “in a spirit of loyal cooperation”, commit to “constructive abstention” on key issues, such as the EU’s long-term budget and filling top EU posts after the May election."

Guest pelmetman
Fast Pat - 2019-03-22 8:26 AM

pelmetman - 2019-03-22 7:48 AM

SEVEN.......ish :D ........

Nope, do try to keep up.

Maybe.....maybe not :D ..........

I guess we'll have to wait and see if MP's kick out May's deal ;-) .........

Hopefully they will........she'll walk.......and I'll be able help put a proper Brexiteer in charge of the Tories B-) ..........

pelmetman - 2019-03-22 8:40 AM

Fast Pat - 2019-03-22 8:26 AM

pelmetman - 2019-03-22 7:48 AM

SEVEN.......ish :D ........

Nope, do try to keep up.

Maybe.....maybe not :D ..........

I guess we'll have to wait and see if MP's kick out May's deal ;-) .........

Hopefully they will........she'll walk.......and I'll be able help put a proper Brexiteer in charge of the Tories B-) ..........

Should be 7 ... But as we know those who voted for article 50 lied when they said they would honour the vote and a no deal scenario ... Time to clean out the Westminster cesspit ... Vile people

So if May forces through her "Deal" parliament then has to make pass the Withdrawal Agreement Bill, thankfully there's nothing controversial in it:

Once passed, the Withdrawal Agreement Bill will:

"Keep parts of the European Communities Act in force for the duration of the transition period. This will allow the UK to update its statute book to reflect new EU laws that come into force in the transition, and will preserve the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice

Make citizens’ rights provisions of the withdrawal agreement directly enforceable in the UK so that EU citizens in the UK can enforce those rights in the UK courts

Create an “independent monitoring authority” to police the UK’s compliance with the citizens’ rights part of the withdrawal agreement at the end of the transition period

Give the Withdrawal Agreement, and any EU law incorporated into the Withdrawal Agreement, a form of “supremacy” over UK law

Give the UK courts new instructions on their relationship with the European Court of Justice

Give ministers powers to make payments to the EU under the “financial settlement” (the divorce bill).

It will also have to set out a domestic process for the commencement of the Irish border backstop."

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/withdrawal-agreement-bill

Guest pelmetman
Fast Pat - 2019-03-23 10:38 AM

So if May forces through her "Deal" parliament then has to make pass the Withdrawal Agreement Bill, thankfully there's nothing controversial in it:

Once passed, the Withdrawal Agreement Bill will:

"Keep parts of the European Communities Act in force for the duration of the transition period. This will allow the UK to update its statute book to reflect new EU laws that come into force in the transition, and will preserve the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice

Make citizens’ rights provisions of the withdrawal agreement directly enforceable in the UK so that EU citizens in the UK can enforce those rights in the UK courts

Create an “independent monitoring authority” to police the UK’s compliance with the citizens’ rights part of the withdrawal agreement at the end of the transition period

Give the Withdrawal Agreement, and any EU law incorporated into the Withdrawal Agreement, a form of “supremacy” over UK law

Give the UK courts new instructions on their relationship with the European Court of Justice

Give ministers powers to make payments to the EU under the “financial settlement” (the divorce bill).

It will also have to set out a domestic process for the commencement of the Irish border backstop."

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/withdrawal-agreement-bill

Cant say I have a problem with a transition period? ;-) ..........

So what's your period problem? >:-) .........

Shortage of Tampax? :D ........

pelmetman - 2019-03-23 2:00 PM...…………………………..Cant say I have a problem with a transition period? ;-) ..........

That's not what you've been saying up to now, Dave. Changed you mind? :-D

Transition period = single market + customs union + present regulations on movement of workers + people + capital, and goods, plus NI backstop until alternative arrangements are negotiated.

But NI backstop = Irish Border = Common Travel Area + Belfast Agreement + border controls (which would breach the Belfast Agreement.). In short, UK remains in EU (but with no say on what future regulations the EU might introduce) until someone solves the Irish Border riddle.

So, a vassal state until the 12th of never. Great scheme, not! :-D Taxation with no representation!

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-03-23 6:35 PM

pelmetman - 2019-03-23 2:00 PM...…………………………..Cant say I have a problem with a transition period? ;-) ..........

Transition period = single market + customs union + present regulations on movement of workers + people + capital, and goods, plus NI backstop until alternative arrangements are negotiated.

But NI backstop = Irish Border = Common Travel Area + Belfast Agreement + border controls (which would breach the Belfast Agreement.). In short, UK remains in EU (but with no say on what future regulations the EU might introduce) until someone solves the Irish Border riddle.

So, a vassal state until the 12th of never. Great scheme, not! :-D Taxation with no representation!

Do we really have to do the NI argument again Brian ? *-) ..........

Gawd you Remoaners are nothing but boring "and" repetitive ;-) ......

pelmetman - 2019-03-23 6:43 PM

Brian Kirby - 2019-03-23 6:35 PM

Do we really have to do the NI argument again Brian ? *-) ..........

Gawd you Remoaners are nothing but boring "and" repetitive ;-) ......

Stumped again eh Pelmet..how many times is this now!!? Brian and FP got you tied up in one post!! (lol)

Or is just all about having a "win"? :-S

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-03-26 7:43 AM

pelmetman - 2019-03-26 7:17 AM

THREE.......or......FIFTEEN :D ........

I wonder how many days May's got left? ;-) ..........

Is that three or fifteen days or three or fifteen years?

Currently worse case scenario is 15 days ;-) ..........

Unless May gets her deal......if not then the EU will prolly kick us out anyway >:-) ..........

Well you might be right about them kicking us out and I wouldnt blame them to be honest. However its equally likely that when her deal fails again that we will end up in a much longer extension hence my question about three or fifteen years. That would be better for you anyway otherwise what will you have to do all day if its all over in 15 days?

Archived