Sunderland

antony1969

747 - 2019-01-16 7:09 PM...…………….I will explain in one short paragraph.

The doom and gloom merchants say that a no deal Brexit will impoverish and set this country back for 20 years. I expect that if it is true, East Sussex will be affected also.

Welcome to my World Brian.

I hope I'm misunderstanding your point, but you seem to be saying you'd like see East Sussex taken down a peg or two, and see Brexit as a way to do that. Is that correct, and if so why? After all, it won't do anything to benefit Northumberland or Durham.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-01-16 3:53 PM

pelmetman - 2019-01-16 2:09 PM

Violet1956 - 2019-01-16 1:58 PM

antony1969 - 2019-01-16 12:03 PM

Spending the money in London will be just the same as giving it the EU to spend ... One way or another it will still get spent on foreigners

Ever the xenophobe.

He's prolly right though isn't he Veronica?...........seeing as back in 2011 Brits barely made up more than 50% of London's population :-| ...........

I guess that makes me a xenophobe to? ;-) ............

A xenophobe that chooses to spend 5 months of the year surrounded by funny foreigners :D ......…

Dave, it might well make you a xenophobe, unless you start to read and check some of the random Daily Mail "statistics" you pick out and quote! :-|

2014 figure for Greater London population? 8.6 million. Not born in UK? 3 million. So, about 35% (and not nearly 50%) born outside the UK. Of those 35%: 40% were from the EU, and 60% non-EU. 40% of 3 million = 1.2 million - for which the EU might be held responsible (but you'd have to determine who actually let them in, and why. See below). That leaves 1.8 million from the rest of the world, for whose presence the EU cannot be blamed. So, who let them in? :-)

Now, back to those 1.2 million from the EU. Many will have come from the post 2004 enlargement (which the UK championed), on which all EU states except the UK imposed legally permissible migration restrictions.

3 points ;-) .........

1.........Your 2014 figure is a guesstimate based on 2011 census figures........

2.........Greater London is not London ..........

3.........Those restrictions on the accession countries were removed in 2011...........

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-01-16 5:45 PM

pelmetman - 2019-01-16 2:12 PM

Barryd999 - 2019-01-16 2:09 PM

For nearly a decade I worked across the entire region with hundreds of businesses from sole traders with no employees up to businesses with up to a £50m turnover as part of a team of ten with a multi million pound budget much of which was often EU money. .

Correction OUR MONEY ;-) ............

Well it is and it isn't., its way more complex than that. If you believed any of the stuff put out by the remain campaign in 2016 we get ten times back in terms of trade, jobs, investment etc by being members than what we pay in.

Of course you wont believe any of that, you just look at the bottom line of what goes out.

I can tell you though from first hand experience of working on funding and funded ICT / business projects in outreach and rural areas or places like the North East the EU are far more likely to fund stuff than our government who pretty much slashed most of the public sector funding in 2008-10 in all those places. If the economy tanks and there is even less money to fund important projects or to inject money into areas that are suffering in your post Brexit world what chance of it coming from our Austerity obsessed feckwit Tory party?

Don't get me wrong, the EU funding schemes are as big a PIA to deal with as UK government funding schemes at times and the irony is a lot of the key areas that voted out received more EU Funding than areas that voted to remain without doubt. Trouble is most of them probably had no idea. Im pretty sure most of the businesses I helped fund had no idea where the money was coming from or cared.

Just goes to show the EU are no better at spending our money than our government >:-) ..........

At least we can sack our government ;-) ...........

pelmetman - 2019-01-16 10:26 PM

For nearly a decade I worked across the entire region with hundreds of businesses from sole traders with no employees up to businesses with up to a £50m turnover as part of a team of ten with a multi million pound budget much of which was often EU money. .

Well it is and it isn't., its way more complex than that. If you believed any of the stuff put out by the remain campaign in 2016 we get ten times back in terms of trade, jobs, investment etc by being members than what we pay in.

Of course you wont believe any of that, you just look at the bottom line of what goes out.

I can tell you though from first hand experience of working on funding and funded ICT / business projects in outreach and rural areas or places like the North East the EU are far more likely to fund stuff than our government who pretty much slashed most of the public sector funding in 2008-10 in all those places. If the economy tanks and there is even less money to fund important projects or to inject money into areas that are suffering in your post Brexit world what chance of it coming from our Austerity obsessed feckwit Tory party?

Don't get me wrong, the EU funding schemes are as big a PIA to deal with as UK government funding schemes at times and the irony is a lot of the key areas that voted out received more EU Funding than areas that voted to remain without doubt. Trouble is most of them probably had no idea. Im pretty sure most of the businesses I helped fund had no idea where the money was coming from or cared.

Just goes to show the EU are no better at spending our money than our government >:-) ..........

At least we can sack our government ;-) ...........

Eh? How does it show that?

antony1969 - 2019-01-16 6:06 PM

Ehhh ??? ... "our Government who pretty much slashed most of the public sector funding in 2008-2010" ... Not a mention that was a Labour Government yet further down the rant "our Austerity obsessed feckwit Tory party" ... Go figure

Labour had little choice given the s**t storm that was bestowed upon us but funding under the Tories has been worse ever since and they have a track record of ignoring places like the North East and no doubt west Yorkshire. I suspect most of them wont even have heard of Huddersfield. Seems the EU have though. £20m you little feckers have had!!

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/eu-referendum-huddersfield-brexit-remain-11460879

Barryd999 - 2019-01-17 1:14 PM

Ehhh ??? ... "our Government who pretty much slashed most of the public sector funding in 2008-2010" ... Not a mention that was a Labour Government yet further down the rant "our Austerity obsessed feckwit Tory party" ... Go figure

Labour had little choice given the s**t storm that was bestowed upon us but funding under the Tories has been worse ever since and they have a track record of ignoring places like the North East and no doubt west Yorkshire. I suspect most of them wont even have heard of Huddersfield. Seems the EU have though. £20m you little feckers have had!!

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/eu-referendum-huddersfield-brexit-remain-11460879

£20 million over 10 years ... How many folk in Huddersfield Barry , do the maths on how much each Huddersfield type person has benefitted each year out of that £20 million and then take away how much Huddersfield as part of the UK has given that crookedy club over the 10 years ... Ye , not a good return is it

pelmetman - 2019-01-16 10:20 PM

Brian Kirby - 2019-01-16 3:53 PM

Dave, it might well make you a xenophobe, unless you start to read and check some of the random Daily Mail "statistics" you pick out and quote! :-|

2014 figure for Greater London population? 8.6 million. Not born in UK? 3 million. So, about 35% (and not nearly 50%) born outside the UK. Of those 35%: 40% were from the EU, and 60% non-EU. 40% of 3 million = 1.2 million - for which the EU might be held responsible (but you'd have to determine who actually let them in, and why. See below). That leaves 1.8 million from the rest of the world, for whose presence the EU cannot be blamed. So, who let them in? :-)

Now, back to those 1.2 million from the EU. Many will have come from the post 2004 enlargement (which the UK championed), on which all EU states except the UK imposed legally permissible migration restrictions.

3 points ;-) .........

1.........Your 2014 figure is a guesstimate based on 2011 census figures........

2.........Greater London is not London ..........

3.........Those restrictions on the accession countries were removed in 2011...........

3 points in return.

1 Fine, so if you have a better figure, substitute that.

2 So, what is London? The traditional definition was just the City. Hardly relevant now. But, as above, do you have a better figure? Re-cast the figures for your own definition of London, and then reduce to the number of migrants from within the EU.

Then, answer the two questions. Who, actually let in 40% from within the EU (allowing for those who came from the post 2004 enlargement) and who let in the 60% from elsewhere around the world.

3 That the specific, post 2004 restrictions. were removed in 2011 still leaves all the "normal" restrictions on entry in force. The failure on the part of the UK government to use the post 2004 specific restrictions, as all other EU countries did, had the effect of funnelling a great number of "eastern European" migrants to the UK. After 2011, we merely reverted to the present rules, which do not grant every Tomasch, Ricardo, and Haroldo automatic entry.

So, guess who it was who let them all in?

antony1969 - 2019-01-17 2:15 PM

£20 million over 10 years ... How many folk in Huddersfield Barry , do the maths on how much each Huddersfield type person has benefitted each year out of that £20 million and then take away how much Huddersfield as part of the UK has given that crookedy club over the 10 years ... Ye , not a good return is it

Its a fair chunk of money. If we pay in roughly 8 million a year to the EU thats about £13 each or summut I Reckon and if there are 140000 or so in Huddersfield its about 38 million over ten years so you have got over half of it back in development plus all the other benefits of trade and investment etc.

That was done on my Diane Abbot back of a fag packet calculator though so may not be totally accurate.

Barryd999 - 2019-01-17 3:46 PM

Its a fair chunk of money. If we pay in roughly 8 million a year to the EU thats about £13 each or summut I Reckon and if there are 140000 or so in Huddersfield its about 38 million over ten years so you have got over half of it back in development plus all the other benefits of trade and investment etc.

That was done on my Diane Abbot back of a fag packet calculator though so may not be totally accurate.

What the finkety is that ... Explain

Good heavens.....£20 million of EU money? Blimey just look at the list 8-)

Financed and created 1,270 new jobs.

Another EU funded scheme supported more than 120 creative businesses, creating over 70 new jobs.

Assistance given to 1,062 small and medium sized enterprises, with a further 75 receiving financial support.

416 community organisations and social enterprises have been granted EU assistance.

EU money has been put towards the development of 21 hectares of derelict or contaminated land in the borough.

Huddersfield University’s Creative Arts and 3M Buckley Innovation Centre buildings were constructed thanks to EU money.

A project to deliver training for residents of deprived parts of Huddersfield was funded through EU cash.

Construction in the Community (CiC) gave participants the opportunity to learn skills in brickwork and joinery, electrical skills and plumbing.

The Government’s Priority School Building Programme has received loans from the European Investment Bank.

A £2m project to launch Kirklees Youth Enterprise Centre at Rawthorpe was part EU funded.

EU cash went towards the Primrose Hill Solar Village.

Kirklees flagship revamp of Richmond Flats, now known as Harold Wilson Court, was partly funded by money from Europe. New features such as solar panels, triple glazing, insulation and other environmental features were paid for by Brussels.

EU cash has also gone towards insulation projects of council homes in Golcar and Dewsbury.

EU money went towards the Media Centre, Ray Street Enterprise Centre and Bretton Business Park in Dewsbury.

£1.8m of ERDF cash was used to transform a former gasworks, then the largest brownfield site in Kirklees, into Bretton Business Park. It is now home to many thriving businesses and about 130 new jobs were created by the project.

antony1969 - 2019-01-17 3:52 PM

I told yer, I used me Diane Abbot calculator which isnt very reliable but there are roughly 60 million people in the UK isnt there? 8 million quid divided by 60 million is 13 quid a year each to cough up (probably). I googled the population of Huddersfield which is about 140000 depending which bits you include so their contribution over ten years would be about 38 million quid but just look at what you have had back.

The above is probably miles out but you get the idea. Now just look at what Bullet has highlighted!

You should all be running around waving EU flags down there!

Barryd999 - 2019-01-17 5:24 PM

I told yer, I used me Diane Abbot calculator which isnt very reliable but there are roughly 60 million people in the UK isnt there? 8 million quid divided by 60 million is 13 quid a year each to cough up (probably). I googled the population of Huddersfield which is about 140000 depending which bits you include so their contribution over ten years would be about 38 million quid but just look at what you have had back.

The above is probably miles out but you get the idea. Now just look at what Bullet has highlighted!

Who gives a fig what night crawler Bullet says ... You dint say how much Huddersfield types have contributed in the same period , you aint deducted that off I see

Bulletguy - 2019-01-17 5:14 PM

Another EU funded scheme supported more than 120 creative businesses, creating over 70 new jobs.

Assistance given to 1,062 small and medium sized enterprises, with a further 75 receiving financial support.

416 community organisations and social enterprises have been granted EU assistance.

EU money has been put towards the development of 21 hectares of derelict or contaminated land in the borough.

Huddersfield University’s Creative Arts and 3M Buckley Innovation Centre buildings were constructed thanks to EU money.

A project to deliver training for residents of deprived parts of Huddersfield was funded through EU cash.

Construction in the Community (CiC) gave participants the opportunity to learn skills in brickwork and joinery, electrical skills and plumbing.

The Government’s Priority School Building Programme has received loans from the European Investment Bank.

A £2m project to launch Kirklees Youth Enterprise Centre at Rawthorpe was part EU funded.

Kirklees flagship revamp of Richmond Flats, now known as Harold Wilson Court, was partly funded by money from Europe. New features such as solar panels, triple glazing, insulation and other environmental features were paid for by Brussels.

EU cash has also gone towards insulation projects of council homes in Golcar and Dewsbury.

EU money went towards the Media Centre, Ray Street Enterprise Centre and Bretton Business Park in Dewsbury.

£1.8m of ERDF cash was used to transform a former gasworks, then the largest brownfield site in Kirklees, into Bretton Business Park. It is now home to many thriving businesses and about 130 new jobs were created by the project.

You seem to know a lot ... Lets take the first claim youve highlighted in your angry bold ... What were those jobs created ???

antony1969 - 2019-01-17 5:29 PM

Who gives a fig what night crawler Bullet says ... You dint say how much Huddersfield types have contributed in the same period , you aint deducted that off I see

I did, I said about £38m over ten years according to Dianes maths. So you have had over half that back in funding plus all the lovely benefits of trade, investment, free market, being able to run around in sunny Europe all summer making lurv an that.

Barryd999 - 2019-01-17 6:45 PM

antony1969 - 2019-01-17 5:29 PM

I did, I said about £38m over ten years according to Dianes maths. So you have had over half that back in funding plus all the lovely benefits of trade, investment, free market, being able to run around in sunny Europe all summer making lurv an that.

So in Huddersfield we've contributed £38 million over 10 years to get £20 million back ??? ... Sounds about right to me

antony1969 - 2019-01-17 5:31 PM

You seem to know a lot ... Lets take the first claim youve highlighted in your angry bold ... What were those jobs created ???

Phone 'em up or email 'em......it's "your" local paper that ran the article.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/contact-us/

Guest pelmetman

Still spreading the myth it was EU cash *-) ..........

Perhaps we could get them to give us some of our cash back to pay the £140 million a year it costs to keep their criminals in our prisons? >:-) ............

pelmetman - 2019-01-17 10:40 PM

Perhaps we could get them to give us some of our cash back to pay the £140 million a year it costs to keep their criminals in our prisons? >:-) ............

Feel free to disprove or challenge what the Huddersfield Examiner reported but simply wailing it's all "a myth" isn't enough. Please enlighten us all as i'm sure many on here would love to hear what inane excuses you can muster up. If struggling, you can use the "contact us" link i've posted for your 'partner'.

Bulletguy - 2019-01-17 8:35 PM

antony1969 - 2019-01-17 5:31 PM

Half a job Bullet ... Now its come to the tricky part hes running off ... typical

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-01-17 11:07 PM

pelmetman - 2019-01-17 10:40 PM

Feel free to disprove or challenge what the Huddersfield Examiner reported but simply wailing it's all "a myth" isn't enough. Please enlighten us all as i'm sure many on here would love to hear what inane excuses you can muster up. If struggling, you can use the "contact us" link i've posted for your 'partner'.

Where did the EU get the money from?..........US *-) ...........ergo they gave us back some of our money ;-) .......

BTW £20 million is not a lot when compared to the £140 million a year it costs us to lock up their criminals is it? >:-) .............

pelmetman - 2019-01-18 10:18 AM.........……………….

Where did the EU get the money from?..........US *-) ...........ergo they gave us back some of our money ;-) .......

BTW £20 million is not a lot when compared to the £140 million a year it costs us to lock up their criminals is it? >:-) .............

Stop fretting, Dave, and go here: http://tinyurl.com/bu8s8km

Your net personal contribution to the EU is about €1 per week! :-D

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-01-18 5:13 PM

pelmetman - 2019-01-18 10:18 AM.........……………….

Stop fretting, Dave, and go here: http://tinyurl.com/bu8s8km

Your net personal contribution to the EU is about €1 per week! :-D

That's a euro a week too much as far as I'm concerned *-) .........

I prefer to decide which EU countries get my money ;-) ..........

antony1969 - 2019-01-18 6:16 AM

Bulletguy - 2019-01-17 8:35 PM

Half a job Bullet ... Now its come to the tricky part hes running off ... typical

Nope, nothing to "run off" from.....you're the sceptic who when faced with an overwhelming amount of evidence from your own local newspaper not suiting your agenda, engage in your usual habit of wanting every minutiae. I posted a link for you listing numbers and email contacts, including the Editor, who would have further information, but either you aren't really interested, or afraid. I think it's both.

Archived