brexit again

Barcobird

pelmetman - 2019-08-15 9:38 AM

This temporary residence permit allows you to stay in Spain for between 90 days and five years, and can be renewed."

https://www.expatica.com/es/moving/visas/visas-and-immigration-102354/

Interesting the bits you have missed out from that link:

"Long-term visas for Spain

Unless you’re a citizen of the EU/EEA or Switzerland you’ll need a longer-term national visa (visado nacionale) if you intend to live, work, study or carry out research in Spain for longer than three months. This will depend on your purpose of stay, as detailed below.

Long-term Spanish residence and work visas

There are different residence and work permit types, depending on the purpose of your stay, including:

a combined residence and work visa (visado de trabajo y residencia) allowing you to live and work in Spain;

a student visa (visado de estudios) for the duration of a educational or training course;

a residence visa (visado de residencia) for family reunification or retirement.

Spain work visa

There are several different types of Spanish work visas, as well as exemptions, depending on your employment situation in Spain. Work visa requirements can be found in our full guide. You cannot apply for your own work visa in Spain – Spanish immigration law dictates that employers must submit the application on your behalf.

Work visa/permits are issued by the Labour Authorities in Spain (Delegación Provincial del Ministerio de Trabajo e Inmigracion).

Spain student visa

Spain is very popular with students from overseas. Indeed, a 2018 survey by GoEuro claimed Spain was the number one destination in Europe for students looking to study abroad.

If you want to study, carry out research or take on an apprenticeship in Spain you have to find a course or programme that will accept you first – only then you can apply for a visa.

For more information, see Study in Spain: Spanish student visas and permits.

Spanish tourist Schengen visa

Spanish tourist visa requirements include completing an application form, which requests a photograph and information about your residency, purpose of journey to Spain, and the number of Spanish tourist Schengen visa entries you require. You can watch a short video on how the process works.

Spanish residence visa

Both Spanish citizenship and a Spanish residence visa (permanent) allow you to stay living in Spain, but some differences exist between the two. Residence visa requirements include giving up your original nationality and passport to become a Spanish citizen. Learn more in our full guide on Spanish passports.

Spanish business visa

Spanish business visa requirements state that a short-stay visa for Spain will enable you to visit the country, but does not permit you to work there. Should you be relocating to Spain for business purposes you will need to request a Spanish business visa. This is otherwise known as a work permit.

Spain spouse visa and family reunification

Once you have been living legally in Spain for a year and have received official confirmation that you will be staying for a further year, you can apply for family members (for example, spouse, common law partner, and dependants, including children under 18 and parents over 65) to join you in Spain.

If you hold a long-term residence permit from another EU member state (an EU Blue Card), you can apply at any time.

Students can apply for their family members to join them while studying in Spain. The relatives’ residence permits are usually granted for the same duration as the student’s residence permit, and allow the holders over 18 to take on employment in Spain without a work permit.

Should you be looking for a Spanish spouse visa, you will need to apply for family reunification.

Should you not yet be in Spain, you can apply via the Spanish embassy who outline the Spanish spouse visa requirements. If you are already in Spain, you will need to visit the local Foreigner’s Office, taking a set of documents with you.

For more information, see our guide on moving to Spain to join a relative or partner.

Spain retirement visa

The current pension age in Spain is 65 years for both men and women, though it will rise to 67 by 2027.

Should you be planning on taking your pension in Spain, you will need to set up a Spanish retirement visa. Spanish retirement visa requirements state that if you are an EU citizen you will need to possess an S1 form before travelling. This means you will have access to healthcare in Spain.

Spain visa for medical reasons

If you plan on living in Spain to access Spanish healthcare you will need to register, as your European Health Insurance Card won’t cover you.

You will not need a Spanish visa for a medical reason but if you have no insurance, you will most likely need to pay for being treated as a private patient. If you are a student, travelling to Spain you may need to provide a medical certificate for your Spanish visa (link to ‘Spain student visa’).

There is a youth mobility agreement between Spain and Canada for young people aged 18 to 35 to visit Spain to travel and work for up to a year. For details, see one of the Spanish consulates in Canada.

You can apply for a long-term visa from the Spanish consulate or embassy in your home country, or sometimes online on their websites before you come to Spain. The application must be made in person or through an accredited representative, and you usually have to pay a non-refundable fee of around €60. Allow plenty of time for the consulate to process your application."

So which one are you going for?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
Barcobird - 2019-08-15 9:58 AM

pelmetman - 2019-08-15 9:31 AM

Barcobird - 2019-08-14 11:09 PM

After seeing the news tonight it now seems doubtful there will be a Brexit. You can't just walk away from a contract, if you do it will end up in court. What a bloody mess this government is in !

I remember seeing on the news numerous times that No Deal is dead :D ..........

BTW its Mrs May government that created the mess ;-) ...........

Fortunately we now we have a proper Brexiteer in charge B-) .........

Which way did you vote then ? (lol) (lol) (lol)

For Boris of course ;-) ........Who is now our PM B-) .........

Corbyn's plans to oust him don't seem to be going very well do they? (lol) (lol) (lol) .........

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1165930/brexit-latest-news-jeremy-corbyn-letter-no-deal-Boris-Johnson-eu-negotiation

Remoaners couldn't organize a p*ss up in a brewery :D ........

Guest pelmetman
Fast Pat - 2019-08-15 10:03 AM

"Unless you’re a citizen of the EU/EEA or Switzerland you’ll need a longer-term national visa (visado nacionale) if you intend to live, work, study or carry out research in Spain for longer than three months."

Seeing as I'll be a tourist......Which ever one the Spanish government says I need to apply for to stay temporarily and spend 1000's in their country ;-) .........

pelmetman - 2019-08-15 10:12 AM

"Unless you’re a citizen of the EU/EEA or Switzerland you’ll need a longer-term national visa (visado nacionale) if you intend to live, work, study or carry out research in Spain for longer than three months."

Seeing as I'll be a tourist......Which ever one the Spanish government says I need to apply for to stay temporarily and spend 1000's in their country ;-) .........

Winging it then.

Guest pelmetman
Fast Pat - 2019-08-15 10:23 AM

Winging it then.

Not at all :-S ...........Once the Spanish government decide what visa I need if any I'll apply for it ;-) ........

Barcobird - 2019-08-15 9:14 AM

jumpstart - 2019-08-15 8:47 AM

So what is the overstay penalty then?

Barryd999 - 2019-08-14 10:56 PM

747 - 2019-08-14 2:03 PM

Are you sure? Spain has already said it will still wecome UK citizens whatever happens. I cannot see them enforcing the 90 day rule (or Portugal for that matter.

Of course the French will be their usual bolshy, anti-British selves (I mean the Government, not the people). I can see them being jobsworths. 8-)

Oh yes I am sure. Trust me as a long term traveller I looked into this in some detail well before the referendum and after. There are loads of travel forums where overstaying in Schengen has been discussed at length and there is no way to do it and people are fined, deported and can be refused entry in the future if they breach the rules. Im not making this up, these are first hand accounts I have come across. Some countries are more lenient than others in how they will treat you if caught ranging from a fine of a few hundred Euros to over a thousand and in some cases being slung in jail and then fined and deported but there is no getting away from it, 90 days is your limit. What would happen to your motorhome if caught is also another question if your deported.

As bulletguy states I don't necessarily think there will be a problem milling around Europe (not so much anyway) but the problems could start when you get back to The British port where they could implement the 90 day law.

The bit in bold is precisely the point! You understand it and i think Pelmet does really because that's why he's spent time looking for 'dodges' around it. Lot's of tourist Brits always have and you only have to look through any expat forums to see that as the resident immigrant Brits take a dim view of it because they feel it gives them a bad reputation.

Barryd999 - 2019-08-15 9:31 AM

Are you sure? Spain has already said it will still wecome UK citizens whatever happens. I cannot see them enforcing the 90 day rule (or Portugal for that matter.

Of course the French will be their usual bolshy, anti-British selves (I mean the Government, not the people). I can see them being jobsworths. 8-)

Oh yes I am sure. Trust me as a long term traveller I looked into this in some detail well before the referendum and after. There are loads of travel forums where overstaying in Schengen has been discussed at length and there is no way to do it and people are fined, deported and can be refused entry in the future if they breach the rules. Im not making this up, these are first hand accounts I have come across. Some countries are more lenient than others in how they will treat you if caught ranging from a fine of a few hundred Euros to over a thousand and in some cases being slung in jail and then fined and deported but there is no getting away from it, 90 days is your limit. What would happen to your motorhome if caught is also another question if your deported.

As bulletguy states I don't necessarily think there will be a problem milling around Europe (not so much anyway) but the problems couod start when you get back to The British port where they could implement the 90 day law.

I remember touring Europe in a car as a teenager, ( there was border control in those days), we had no problems anywhere (except Gibraltar a British colony but that's another story !) until we got back to Dover. It was the the third degree and they took half the car apart.

So in my opinion don't expect a soft Brexit from the British authorities.

As said I read up on this considerably as I think did Brian Kirby. It was going to be something that effects me a fair bit as most of our trips over the water are 4-6 months in duration. I joined various travel forums from outside of Europe and there were many confirmed first hand cases of people being caught while in country and fined for overstaying and in one case (Holland I think) someone was locked up in jail until they decided what to do with them. You are generally immediately deported and in some cases can be banned from returning. I would suspect you could wing it but as said you may come a cropper at the border when you leave. Then there is stuff like insurance etc to consider. You cant just leave for one day and come back either like Mr Birdbrain is suggesting. You have to wait another 90 days outside of Europe.

Trust me there is no "legal" way around it.

Before retiring i'd had fanciful ideas of doing an East to West then back to East coast circular tour of the US. Used motorhomes are seriously cheap and the market is vast. An RV for one person is way too big so i'd settled on a C class. Most of their mh's are petrol driven....very few diesel, but fuel cost is peanuts by comparison to ours.

I'd planned on 18 months......and that was my stumbling block because i soon found the Visa Waiver programme only allowed 90 days. Useless. I then posted on a US RV forum, majority of fm's were US apart from a few Canadians and a Brit guy who had moved to live there. A Visa would give me 6 months so that was still no use but i got all sorts of conflicting advice. One American fm posted all i'd need do if near the Canadian or Mexican border when the visa was due to run out, cross over the border, hang around for a few days, then re-enter and get it stamped for another 6 months. That quickly got squashed by other Americans who said if i tried that i'd end up getting deported and lose the mh as the authorities would put me on the first flight out and i'd never be able to re-enter US as my passport would be marked and logged.

I gave up on it in the end.

How many times is this now? It's nothing to do with Spain, Switzerland or whatever other country you want to quote. The 90 day rule applies to UK resident citizens which is what you are. The 90 day starts from exiting UK to re-entering back through UK immigration. ANPR logs all vehicles and passports are electronically logged.

Incidentally how much money anyone spends in another country is totally irrelevant (though more than ironic you choose to spend it in an EU country!).

Winging it then.

Yes.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-08-15 11:28 AM

As bulletguy states I don't necessarily think there will be a problem milling around Europe (not so much anyway) but the problems could start when you get back to The British port where they could implement the 90 day law.

The bit in bold is precisely the point! You understand it and i think Pelmet does really because that's why he's spent time looking for 'dodges' around it. Lot's of tourist Brits always have and you only have to look through any expat forums to see that as the resident immigrant Brits take a dim view of it because they feel it gives them a bad reputation.

So now the British are going to fine me for staying out of the country for longer than 90 days? (lol) (lol) (lol) ..........

What desperate old fools you Remoaners are *-) ..........

P1010899.JPG.f689d362d2a789474b34d1f524fef83c.JPG

pelmetman - 2019-08-15 10:29 AM

Winging it then.

Not at all :-S ...........Once the Spanish government decide what visa I need if any I'll apply for it ;-) ........

So I presume when you decide what visa you need you will have a Spanish driving license and a motorhome on Spanish plates *-)

Guest pelmetman
Barcobird - 2019-08-15 12:43 PM

Winging it then.

So I presume when you decide what visa you need you will have a Spanish driving license and a motorhome on Spanish plates *-)

Funny you should mention that ;-) .........Seeing as I have already changed my Ebay bargain banger Toyota car to Spanish plates.........I am contemplating changing the camper as the insurance is cheaper and there's no road tax :D .........

As for licences.........

*Depending on the length of your visit and the type of UK driving licence you have, some countries have confirmed that UK licence holders will not need an IDP after Brexit:

UK Photocard licence – for shorter visits you won't need an IDP to drive in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Spain, or Switzerland.

UK paper licence – for shorter visits you won't need an IDP to drive in Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Luxembourg, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/driving-abroad/idp

I'm guessing the idp I bought will suffice B-) ........

pelmetman - 2019-08-15 1:02 PM

Not if you are driving a Spanish registered banger in Spain it won't - but it will be OK for when you are driving it back at home in Blighty as long as you have your Spanish driving licence to accompany it.

Guest pelmetman
Fast Pat - 2019-08-15 1:14 PM

Not if you are driving a Spanish registered banger in Spain it won't - but it will be OK for when you are driving it back at home in Blighty as long as you have your Spanish driving licence to accompany it.

So Brits cant drive Spanish registered cars with a British driving licence? 8-) ...........

I wonder if all those car hire companies in Spain are aware of that? (lol) (lol) (lol) ........

Thanks for the giggle :D .........

Winging it then.

Funny you should mention that ;-) .........Seeing as I have already changed my Ebay bargain banger Toyota car to Spanish plates.........I am contemplating changing the camper as the insurance is cheaper and there's no road tax :D .........

As for licences.........

*Depending on the length of your visit and the type of UK driving licence you have, some countries have confirmed that UK licence holders will not need an IDP after Brexit:

UK Photocard licence – for shorter visits you won't need an IDP to drive in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Spain, or Switzerland.

UK paper licence – for shorter visits you won't need an IDP to drive in Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Luxembourg, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland

pretty sure after 6 months you are classed as resident and should change UK license to Spanish and when you have Spanish license you cannot drive foreign registered vehicle so would have to import the moho

Face it Dave your winging it and sailing close to the wind. Maybe you will get away with it maybe you wont. I think (without looking) to apply for any of the stuff your talking about you need a Spanish address. The van, the field somewhere in the Costas probably wont cut it as wont giving a campsite address but good luck anyway.

Ill be playing by the rules as from what I have read if you get caught your in a world of s**t.

Guest pelmetman
Barcobird - 2019-08-15 1:20 PM

Winging it then.

As for licences.........

pretty sure after 6 months you are classed as resident and should change UK license to Spanish and when you have Spanish license you cannot drive foreign registered vehicle so would have to import the moho

Its 183 days ;-) ..........which is why we'll only be staying for 182 max :D .........

pelmetman - 2019-08-15 12:31 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-08-15 11:28 AM

So now the British are going to fine me for staying out of the country for longer than 90 days? (lol) (lol) (lol) ..........

Your passport would certainly be marked to indicate that and as i've already told you countless times you may well find NHS access voided but you appear to want to chance that. Don't take my word for it though...go and speak to your GP and tell him/her you intend remaining out of UK for over 90 days and if they say they aren't bothered, ask them to put it in writing.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-08-15 1:39 PM

Don't take my word for it though...go and speak to your GP and tell him/her you intend remaining out of UK for over 90 days and if they say they aren't bothered, ask them to put it in writing.

I did ;-) ............She gave me 4 months worth of drugs :D ........

pelmetman - 2019-08-15 2:06 PM

Don't take my word for it though...go and speak to your GP and tell him/her you intend remaining out of UK for over 90 days and if they say they aren't bothered, ask them to put it in writing.

You ignored the bit in bold....however 3 month (as one lot) is the max allowed under NHS rules which both GP and Pharmacist know about. They can give 6 x one monthly prescriptions, but that's entirely different as you are drawing one months meds at a time. It's very restrictive as that method forces you to use the same pharmacy because the Pharmacist holds the master copy for all 6 months meaning you can't even go to any other pharmacy in UK.

Bulletguy - 2019-08-15 7:30 PM

You ignored the bit in bold....however 3 month (as one lot) is the max allowed under NHS rules which both GP and Pharmacist know about. They can give 6 x one monthly prescriptions, but that's entirely different as you are drawing one months meds at a time. It's very restrictive as that method forces you to use the same pharmacy because the Pharmacist holds the master copy for all 6 months meaning you can't even go to any other pharmacy in UK.

Give up your flogging a dead horse *-)

BJ is going to totally cock up, Brexit will be vetoed in Parliament and there will be a general election or another referendum, hopefully the latter when there will be a decision to remain. We can then put this sorry state of affairs behind us eliminating any further problems and unnecessary expense.

A special thanks goes out to David Cameron for creating this spectacle and then walking away!!

Barcobird - 2019-08-15 11:19 PM

BJ is going to totally cock up, Brexit will be vetoed in Parliament and there will be a general election or another referendum, hopefully the latter when there will be a decision to remain. We can then put this sorry state of affairs behind us eliminating any further problems and unnecessary expense.

A special thanks goes out to David Cameron for creating this spectacle and then walking away!!

Oh oh ... We got another Barry ... Telling us exactly whats guna happen ... Maybe

Birdbrain - 2019-08-16 5:57 AM

Oh oh ... We got another Barry ... Telling us exactly whats guna happen ... Maybe

Just my opinion ;-)

Cameron was a fool and the referendum was a crazy idea from the outset brought about by settling a score with Farage which backfired. Nobody on either side (if honest!) had knowledge of the full facts where now, people are aware of much more. Possibly the craziest excuse i've read on forums were those who admitted they'd only voted Brexit as a protest vote with not a thought to the long term consequences. It was sold on the immigration myth ("swarms") to the xenophobes and racists, the £350m a week lie, and silly soundbites.

Typically of course we quickly found out within hours of the results coming in, it was very clear Leave had zero exit strategy so walked away. Hislop summed it up in this short clip from QT at the time.

Guest pelmetman

Another Loser clutching at straws :D .............

Archived