Poor Greta

Birdbrain

Birdbrain - 2019-12-10 6:21 AM

Barryd999 - 2019-12-09 10:53 PM

Birdbrain - 2019-12-09 7:53 PM

Barryd999 - 2019-12-09 7:10 PM

pelmetman - 2019-12-09 4:52 PM

Barryd999 - 2019-12-09 4:10 PM

Hmm. Yet ironically the poor children in those pictures will likely have their lives made worse by climate change before anybody else which is exactly why inspirational children like Greta are doing what they are doing yet still the usual suspects take a pop at her. Mental.

Your obnoxious sprog is just another stupid Canute *-) ...........

No single person, country or all the countries on this planet can stop climate change :-| .......

We have to adapt ;-) ........

Have you not read up on it? No of course you haven't. We can stop it or at least reduce it. If we dont and it reaches tipping point then we are basically fcuked. Doing nothing is simply not an option.

Another "then we are basically fcuked" to add to Brexit , POTUS Trump , Tory Government then according to you the voice of doom and gloom ... if one aint guna get us the others will ... "Doing nothing is simply not an option" as I drive off for 6 months polluting the environment "doing nothing"

Like I said motorhoming is probably greener than normal living. Say your running a house with heating, cooking, cleaning, using loads of leccy, driving the kids to school, going shopping and all the stuff thats needed to run a home, it all adds up but how does that compare to living in a motorhome? Ok so your running an engine between stops so its not ideal but when your parked up you can be really green and we as I have told you do tend to park up for long periods and between April and October require no electricity whatsoever from the grid. Scooter is practically emissions free!

So which is greener?

You don't heat the motorhome then , don't cook , defo don't clean , don't go shopping on top of driving around for 6 months of the year and then on top of that drive around on an old scooter struggling away with 2 of you on it ??? ... Ye your really green aren't ya and thats not taking into account when your then home for the other 6 months still on ya scooter and in your old motor ... Hypocrite

It's a dam site greener and easier to heat a motorhome than a 250 year old large stone built house. We don't go shopping or site seeing in the van we use the scooter which isn't old. It's a modern Honda 110cc frugal engine. Honda are renowned for making clean reliable engines

Of course when we are home we are the same as most people but my argument which is not remotely scientific is our style of motorhoming I think is probably much greener that the average couple or family living normal lives at home.

As for cleaning. You could eat your dinner off the floor of our van, Mrs D is a clean and tidy freak but again you need less materials than you do in a house. Motorhoming I argue is therefore greener than house dwelling. Probably.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
malc d - 2019-12-10 9:14 AM

jumpstart - 2019-12-09 9:07 PM

pelmetman - 2019-12-09 7:24 PM

Hmm. Yet ironically the poor children in those pictures will likely have their lives made worse by climate change before anybody else which is exactly why inspirational children like Greta are doing what they are doing yet still the usual suspects take a pop at her. Mental.

No single person, country or all the countries on this planet can stop climate change :-| .......

Doing nothing is simply not an option.

Agreed ;-) ........

Pandering to spoilt brats is not the answer *-) .......

The answer needs to be construction of proper sea defenses including dredging of dykes and rivers along with sacrificial flood plains :-| .......

Yes that will really help the islands in the Indian Ocean.

I don't think Dave will care about the islanders whose homes are threatened with inundation - until they are evacuated and look for somewhere else to settle.

:-|

Maybe Labour will get in and London Transport will set up recruiting offices in Barbados and India like they did when they were short of Bus Drivers :D

Barryd999 - 2019-12-10 12:18 PM

Birdbrain - 2019-12-10 6:21 AM

Barryd999 - 2019-12-09 10:53 PM

Birdbrain - 2019-12-09 7:53 PM

Have you not read up on it? No of course you haven't. We can stop it or at least reduce it. If we dont and it reaches tipping point then we are basically fcuked. Doing nothing is simply not an option.

Another "then we are basically fcuked" to add to Brexit , POTUS Trump , Tory Government then according to you the voice of doom and gloom ... if one aint guna get us the others will ... "Doing nothing is simply not an option" as I drive off for 6 months polluting the environment "doing nothing"

Like I said motorhoming is probably greener than normal living. Say your running a house with heating, cooking, cleaning, using loads of leccy, driving the kids to school, going shopping and all the stuff thats needed to run a home, it all adds up but how does that compare to living in a motorhome? Ok so your running an engine between stops so its not ideal but when your parked up you can be really green and we as I have told you do tend to park up for long periods and between April and October require no electricity whatsoever from the grid. Scooter is practically emissions free!

So which is greener?

You don't heat the motorhome then , don't cook , defo don't clean , don't go shopping on top of driving around for 6 months of the year and then on top of that drive around on an old scooter struggling away with 2 of you on it ??? ... Ye your really green aren't ya and thats not taking into account when your then home for the other 6 months still on ya scooter and in your old motor ... Hypocrite

It's a dam site greener and easier to heat a motorhome than a 250 year old large stone built house. We don't go shopping or site seeing in the van we use the scooter which isn't old. It's a modern Honda 110cc frugal engine. Honda are renowned for making clean reliable engines

Of course when we are home we are the same as most people but my argument which is not remotely scientific is our style of motorhoming I think is probably much greener that the average couple or family living normal lives at home.

As for cleaning. You could eat your dinner off the floor of our van, Mrs D is a clean and tidy freak but again you need less materials than you do in a house. Motorhoming I argue is therefore greener than house dwelling. Probably.

We have a stone built 150 year old house ourselves , over 4 floors ... Log burner with free wood costs me nowt ... Anyway you don't motorhome because its greener Barry do ya ???

Agreed ;-) ........

The answer needs to be construction of proper sea defenses including dredging of dykes and rivers along with sacrificial flood plains :-| .......

Now, if sea levels are rising due to climate change, how would dredging dykes protect against the resulting flooding? Just askin'. :-D

Brian Kirby - 2019-12-10 1:30 PM

Agreed ;-) ........

Now, if sea levels are rising due to climate change, how would dredging dykes protect against the resulting flooding? Just askin'. :-D

My illustrious colleague is right. Dykes and channels have been dredged in some coastal areas. Instead of sea defences they are allowing low lying land to become tidal salt water flats.

Also flooding has occurred inland because waterways have become weed infested and choked with silt, hindering swift drainage to the major rivers and on to the sea.

747 - 2019-12-10 5:03 PM

Brian Kirby - 2019-12-10 1:30 PM

Agreed ;-) ........

My illustrious colleague is right. Dykes and channels have been dredged in some coastal areas. Instead of sea defences they are allowing low lying land to become tidal salt water flats.

Also flooding has occurred inland because waterways have become weed infested and choked with silt, hindering swift drainage to the major rivers and on to the sea.

Indeed, but neither offers a defence against rising sea levels, as Dave was suggesting. Those measures might help reduce some river flooding, by allowing water surges to spread over a greater area, or to enhance drainage where obstructed waterways cause upstream flooding, but rising sea levels effectively raise the mouth of the river and when that rises in level, the water won't flow uphill. So, the tidal reach of the river will extend further inland whatever the level of its bed, leading to greater flooding further upstream than previously, and permanent inundation of areas that previously only flooded with spring tides.

Birdbrain - 2019-12-10 7:17 PM

Cant we all just drink a bit kore and get rid of the extra water that way ??? Maybe bottle a bit more and send it off to Jonny Foriegner in Africa or somewhere

Jonny foriegner is already having trouble getting any fresh water and as the problem becomes more acutely will be heading towards Northern Europe where water is plentifull. Israel particularly is becoming dry.

Guest pelmetman
jumpstart - 2019-12-10 8:57 PM

Cant we all just drink a bit kore and get rid of the extra water that way ??? Maybe bottle a bit more and send it off to Jonny Foriegner in Africa or somewhere

Jonny foriegner is already having trouble getting any fresh water and as the problem becomes more acutely will be heading towards Northern Europe where water is plentifull. Israel particularly is becoming dry.

So just Israel?........Not Syria, Palestine. Lebanon or Egypt? :-| .........

Seems to me its wishful thinking from your anti Jew brain cell *-) ........

The more immediate problem is not countries getting " dry " - it's low lying islands being covered by seawater.

.It seems that in places like the Maldives, Seychelles etc the encroaching sea in getting into their groundwater supplies and contaminating their drinking water with sea water.

We could pass on to them Daves tips about dredging, sandbags etc - but I doubt it will be much use to them.

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2019-12-11 8:31 AM

The more immediate problem is not countries getting " dry " - it's low lying islands being covered by seawater.

.It seems that in places like the Maldives, Seychelles etc the encroaching sea in getting into their groundwater supplies and contaminating their drinking water with sea water.

We could pass on to them Daves tips about dredging, sandbags etc - but I doubt it will be much use to them.

Seeing as we can pipe gas all the way from Russia to all over Europe ;-) .........

I doubt its impossible to do the same with fresh water :-| .........

Just as I doubt building homes like the Dutch that go up and down with the tide is impossible *-) .......

What IS impossible is thinking we can stop climate change 8-) .........

pelmetman - 2019-12-11 8:17 AM

If you would actually be bothered to read any news you would see that Israel particularly has an acute water shortage problem. Now I could go on and list all the other countries in the world with the same problem ,but not sure you have the attention span. So Israel is an example. Don’t think it matters to the drought if it happens to Jews any more than Christians.

Guest pelmetman
jumpstart - 2019-12-11 8:51 AM

If you would actually be bothered to read any news you would see that Israel particularly has an acute water shortage problem. Now I could go on and list all the other countries in the world with the same problem ,but not sure you have the attention span. So Israel is an example. Don’t think it matters to the drought if it happens to Jews any more than Christians.

Israels not even in the top 5 ;-) ..........

"Here are the top five countries currently dealing with extreme water scarcity.

Yemen.

Libya.

Jordan. ...

The Western Sahara. ...

Djibouti.

https://mphdegree.arizona.edu/blog/five-countries-with-the-greatest-water-scarcity-issues/

Perhaps its just unconscious wishful thinking by your anti Israel bias *-) .........

Hold the front page! :D .........

Just found Israel........ 21st......Behind those poor Muslim countries like Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Oman ;-) .......

https://www.wri.org/blog/2013/12/world-s-36-most-water-stressed-countries

Its how an anti-Semite works ... Israel and Jews on the brain ... Sorry brain cell

pelmetman - 2019-12-11 8:59 AM

Yemen.

Libya.

Jordan. ...

The Western Sahara. ...

Djibouti.

https://mphdegree.arizona.edu/blog/five-countries-with-the-greatest-water-scarcity-issues/

Perhaps its just unconscious wishful thinking by your anti Israel bias *-) .........

Fancy letting your anti-Israel stance cloud your judgement on world water shortages ... Whats wrong with these folk ???

pelmetman - 2019-12-11 8:41 AM

Seeing as we can pipe gas all the way from Russia to all over Europe ;-) .........

Just as I doubt building homes like the Dutch that go up and down with the tide is impossible *-) .......

Why do you keep all this expertise to yourself - or only post it on a motorhome forum ?

Why not do the right thing and contact the governments of the threatened islands direct ?

p.s. They will, of course want to know where to pipe the drinking water from.

pelmetman - 2019-12-11 8:59 AM

Yemen.

Libya.

Jordan. ...

The Western Sahara. ...

Djibouti.

Hold the front page! :D .........

Just found Israel........ 21st......Behind those poor Muslim countries like Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Oman ;-) .......

https://www.wri.org/blog/2013/12/world-s-36-most-water-stressed-countries

So you do agree that it is(as I said) happening to Israel. What’s religion got to do with it?

Birdbrain - 2019-12-11 3:10 PM

Fair play to Greta she's enjoying the stardom , fame and prolly fortune ... She's won Time Magazines Person of the Year award so well done to her on a magnificent achievement ... Ami I wrong in thinking Hitler won the same gong some years ago

No you're not wrong.

The award is for " the person who has most influenced events in the last year "

Hitler got it and I'm sure you can think of something Hitler did that influenced events.

It seems that Stalin also got it - so he must have been up to something significant as well.

( According to my research on t'net even you got it in 2006 ).

malc d - 2019-12-11 9:16 AM

Why do you keep all this expertise to yourself - or only post it on a motorhome forum ?

Why not do the right thing and contact the governments of the threatened islands direct ?

Pelmet is undoubtedly a leading "expert" in plumbing......i've lost count of the number of jobs he claims to be "qualified" in! (lol)

I imagine some countries where water is scarce, particularly drinking, ship bottled in by the truck load and in a few countries it's probably wiser if drinking water isn't properly purified.

Birdbrain - 2019-12-11 3:10 PM

Fair play to Greta she's enjoying the stardom , fame and prolly fortune ... She's won Time Magazines Person of the Year award so well done to her on a magnificent achievement ... Ami I wrong in thinking Hitler won the same gong some years ago

Seems a shame you choose to draw that analogy . Can’t quite believe your hate for this girl.

Bulletguy - 2019-12-11 4:45 PM

malc d - 2019-12-11 9:16 AM

Pelmet is undoubtedly a leading "expert" in plumbing......i've lost count of the number of jobs he claims to be "qualified" in! (lol)

I imagine some countries where water is scarce, particularly drinking, ship bottled in by the truck load and in a few countries it's probably wiser if drinking water isn't properly purified.

Hes no more an expert at plumbing than you are at superior German building methods that you know nothing about

Archived