bike rack

IMP

We have 2 fold up electric bikes , which are stored in the garage in our Autotrail Savannah.They came with the Van, when we bought it.

However, to free up internal storage, I would prefer to put them on a bike rack.

Is the rear panel designed to take a bike rack?

If so, is there a proprietory one available that is suitable for mounting that will clear both the built in spare wheel bubble and the roof ladder?

Any user experience appreciated!

I had one fitted to my Auto-Trail motorhome from new 3 points to consider that caused us grief!

1) If you have one fitted make sure it is fitted correctly with the design bolt fixings and internal load spreader plates. We found ours had been simply screwed on (by an Auto-Trail dealer) using wood screws!!!

2) Ensure the weight capability of the rack is sufficient. We found the rack we had fitted to our Motorhome would only just take 2 lightweight bikes. Despite being assured it would take a 65kg!!

3) Ensure you can reach the rack easily lifting a relatively heavy bike. We need a step up with 2 people to use and reach it safely.

Auto-Trail technical department will help you and advise if fitting a rack is possible with the recommended manufacturer for the rack. We rang them for advice when we were having problems.

IMP,

The safest and easiest way to carry two e-bikes would be to have a towbar and towbar mounted carrier fitted.

There are specific carriers designed for the weight of e-bikes as, as has been highlighted by trail66, a 'normal' cycle rack may not be able to carry the increased weight over conventional cycles.

Keith.

You would also need to consider the effect of that cantilevered weight on the load it places on the rear axle.

The already long overhang of the Savannah is not helping.

By extending quite an amount further aft of the rear axle will apply a multiplier to the bike and rack weight, that has to be carried by the rear axle. That is, there will be more weight added to the rear axle than leaving these bikes in the garage.

Ian as you can see from the attached image there is a Fiamma bike rack that fits the rear of an AT with the wheel cover and a ladder in place. However you need to be aware of the load limitation that is approx 50-60kgs ( the weight decal has come off mine). A tow bar mounted rack as suggested would be my choice. Cheers,

26194187_Bikerack_ATTrackerFB.jpg.c9fd451c1542d5bd9fc0f5e6031817fb.jpg

Keith

Thanks for the advice.

I think that the problem is going to be the weight of the bikes, as they are quite heavy. It seems that I may have to simply live with the garage space that is still available and distribute some items elsewhere. Still getting used to the Van - only had it a week.

So, I have now got it parked in the drive, so that I can try various weight and load distribution layouts, before it goes into the secure parking that we have booked locally.

Cheers

Ian

Ian

I agree with your analysis...

As you’ve owned the Savannah for such a short time, rather than carry the e-bikes outside (where the bikes’ weight and spare-wheel and ladder access are potential issues) it seems more logical for you to carefully ‘vet’ what you carry with you on your travels and optimise the available interior storage and - having done that and used the motorhome for a while - see whether carrying the e-bikes within the garage proves to be intolerable.

There are obvious pros and cons for in-garage or extermal bike carrying, and it does no harm investigaring what the latter involves. But if your e-bikes can be kept in the garage, they should be out of the weather and more secure than exposed on a rack. (And, of course, you won’t have needed to fork out for a suitable rack and have holes drilled in the Savannah’s rear wall to attach it.)

Not cheap but worth it’s weight in gold is the Alko Velo range. They fit in the chassis of the motorhome, take 2/3 electric bikes easily, improve the stability of the ride as the bikes are quite low down, put no strain on the back of the van and can be moved to other vans, folded up or removed altogether when not in use.

We have had one for 4 years now and it has performed flawlessly.

Make sure you find a firm who know how to fit them.

https://www.alko-tech.com/uk/velo-iii

IMP - 2019-12-20 9:44 AM

Many thanks, I will look into it, should we need to go down this route.

The SAWIKO VELO III product is a nice bit of kit, but I suspect that the speare-wheel and its cover being located on a Savannah’s rear wall would prevent the carrier from being properly folded. The image below shows the potential problem.

1633305309_VELOIII.png.c6141908441f5d732dde11186ec34fa3.png

Re spare wheel....not something I’d thought of.

On our AS Broadway the back of the van is dished and the distance from the bar of the bike rack to the back of the van is 24 cm ( 9.5 inches). The upright bar is in this position all the time whether the rack is folded up or in use.

Presumably the spare wheel carrier is removable and the spare wheel could be secured in your garage, as in many vans ?

Archived