Decent small BBQ

2GB Racing

Hi all, my first posting, Having just purchased an excellent Autocruise Alto and spent the last five days on a slow return trip home, Now looking forward to warmer weather and cooking outside etc, So looking for a small Gas BBQ just for two people, must have simple removable legs, Ceramic cooking area, and I would plan on fittings such as a bayonet type to connect to onboard Gas supply then cook near the side of the van or on top of the table which relocates to the outdoor position. Thoughts and advice please.

We have a Cadac but have given up on it as it never seems to get hot enough and cooking takes ages as the flame seems so far away from the cooking surface. We now have a small one burner stove that uses small gas canisters - can’t remember what it is called but it is great - cooks much quicker than the Cadac and great for a frying pan.

I'd just buy a portable gas ring https://tinyurl.com/rmtgc8s until your sure you want all the FaF and smells of a BBQ washing it and putting it away every night. Personaly we just use one of the one use charcoal ones to get the taste associated with a BBQ which is missing from most of the gas rings that are called BBQ's. If you want a charcoal one I'd look at a cob which I had but sold again when we realised all the faf that went with it

Well, I know opinions on the Cadac vary, but looking specifically at the spec in the OP, I would have thought you would struggle to better a Cadac Safari Chef 2.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15901710/cadac-safari-chef-2-15901710

I've had "lava rock" barbecues before now, which have been less than satisfactory (and pretty impossible to clean) but I bought the above Cadac around 18 months ago, equipped it for use off the external barbecue point, and it has been used more than any other unit I've had.

It is compact, stores easily away in its own small bag/case, is relatively easy to keep clean, and cooks very well, either on the flat or the BBQ plate. (and can be used as a normal stove if necessary).

You just need to make sure you get the version that runs off a gas bottle/bbq point, and not the one that runs from disposable cartridges.

Welcome to the forum hope you enjoy you time in your MH. My experience is with a Webber Baby Q with the high top lid. We use this set up on a lightweight camping table that rolls up for easy storage. Using the table gives you a place to keep BBQ tools and the odd glass of wine. I find it very difficult to cook without a glass in one hand. Our Webber is now 5 years old and has not missed a beat, We store it in a Webber bag in the storage hold under our bed. That makes it necessary to clean before storage to avoid the smell in bed. It is very easy to clean so that is a bonus. Only downside we can find is that if you plan to slow cook at a temp under 120C you will have difficulty. Then generally BBQ's are not designed for that purpose. Roasts work well as well as traditional cuts of your favourite meat for grilling. While not the only option the Webber Baby Q is the most widely used BBQ by the "grey nomads" in this part of the world. We also use a single induction cooker to compliment the BBQ to keep cooking completely outside to avoid smells in the MH.
cheers,

1090129587_WebberBabyQ_lowres.jpg.f1d44e630bd4d61c802c0ea541e1a1e8.jpg

2GB Racing - 2020-01-06 8:40 AM

Robin Hood I like that unit a lot and as you say meets the criteria, First job will be to get an outside gas point fitted diy or professional ? I am an engineer but not a registered gas fitter but I do know of domestic lpg fitter

Hi..

I don't know how suitable it would be for your van but if you don't fancy the idea of having a hole cut in the side of your van, maybe look at fitting the gas tap/outlet with the gas locker?(if it has one?)

I fitted a bbq point from Gasit on a previous van this way and just ferreted the hose down through a gas drop hole.

104698760_gastap.jpg.454e660ae8e3bf9e8c83825714f1a06a.jpg

I have a relatively expensive Weber, which I like and it can cook a whole chicken as well as just burgers and sausage - but we have only ever cooked small portion stuff - so is it an expensive, space-occupying sledgehammer to crack a nut? There are smaller. lighter and much cheaper portable gas BBQs like the one pictured below, so why not try one of those first?

BBQ1.jpg.6a0a70b4883824fbc887afaa1512ca98.jpg

pepe63 - 2020-01-06 9:14 AM .... if you don't fancy the idea of having a hole cut in the side of your van, maybe look at fitting the gas tap/outlet within the gas locker?

I too have a BBQ gas conector which is simply a T connection off the regulated gas supply to an isolating gas tap and then a quick release connector, all inside the gas locker - so the rubber pipe to the BBQ simply passes up through opening in the bottom of the gas locker, so there's no need for a hole in the side of the MH and the gas locker door doesn't have to be open when the BBQ is in use. It's simpler, safer and cheaper than fitting a specially designed skin-fitting gas outlet. I fitted a 3 metre rubber gas pipe on the BBQ to allow flexibility in where I do the cooking.

We've had a number of the BBQs as mentioned by Stuart. They work reasonably well although flame is not constant across the burner, and the lava rocks may need changing after a couple of seasons as they get quite greasy.

The real downside is the burner rotting. Ours generally last 2/3 years of heavy use (our "season" each year is about 3 to 4 months). I've yet to source burner replacements other than Alibaba where, from memory, you need to purchase 40 units!

That said, they're light, the legs fold up and do the job. Cost; well they were well under £20 years ago and are still under £20 now if you look around.

Tried Cadacs and the Camping Gas equivalent but for simple BBQing they were too much of a faff especially the cleaning.

For the two of us when we are touring:

one of these

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15910193/cadac-2-cook-2-pro-deluxe-stove-15910193

one of these

https://thebbqshop.co.uk/cadac-power-pak-1000-v2

and a couple of these as they are not included above

https://gttowing.co.uk/product/cadac-500g-gas-cartridge-butane-propane-mix---ca500/

job done, good to go, truly totally portable, the two 500g's normally last me a summer season fairly heavy use, two people, normally steak on the grill and potatoes/onions on the dished plate, find the versatility amazing as you can grill and also boil a kettle if need be at the same time. Super easy to clean at the pot wash

another Cadac Convert

We also have found the small Safari to be brilliant, it is compact and can even cook for four. It comes with components that make it virtually wind proof so no flame out.

We use it with a separate Camping Gaz 907 cylinder for complete flexibility to sit around in the best position for sun or shelter from breeze with a relaxing drink whilst cooking. Does a great fry up which we wouldn't do in the van. We even use it at home often instead of our outdoor fire pit.

Fred

We have tried a few different bbq's over the years but keep coming back to one use disposable costing between £1.00-£2.00.

Ideal for burgers, Lamb chops, steaks and sausages etc.

Morrison's seem to be the better ones, Light with a single match, ready to cook in 10 minutes or so big enough to cope with food for four and no washing up. lol

Pete

Echo the small Cadac safari. 2. I have modified it slightly to use quick release gas fittings on the base which makes connecting up much easier, This also means it is easy to swap from disposable canisters to camping gaz, or propane.

The legs need a hole in them to allow them to fold flat, but an easy job as the material is plastic.

Look out for offers on butane, propane mix Cotswolds Outdoors had some larger Proplus canisters ( maybe Screwfix Plumbing dept ?).

Last I brought disposable canisters, the weight for weight of gas was a lot cheaper than a gaz 907 and a lot easier to stow.

Rgds

Thanks for reminding me why we ended up with the Cadac Tonyishuk......

I set out to replace my ancient twin burner camping stove with one of those small units that use disposable cartridges and whilst looking in a camping store I came across the Cadac, which ticked all the boxes for me.

It was available in two versions either disposable cylinders or to run off a bigger bottle with regulator.

When I explained that I already had a '907' cylinder ......the shop expert explained that it was a no brainer and we did the maths. Using a '907' cylinder worked out about 6 times cheaper than using the larger disposable cartridges, but yes it is bigger and heavier and off course if it runs out there is no back up cylinder until it is exchanged.....but it lasts forever

Fred

Archived