Can we keep Motorhoming

John Allen

Den - 2020-03-22 8:35 AM

Initially I thought we’d pop out in the van, pick up a take away and pretend we’re away.

LET ME TELL YOU WHST THE HOSPITALS ARE LIKE.

My son is a manager looking after the medical equipment.

A nurse not known to him BEGGED FOR A BP MONITOR

He found one and took it to her. SHE CRIED , that’s how desperate they are, this because people are ignoring the advice. STAY IN.

ITS NOT JUST FACE TO FACE OR BEING SNEEZED ON.

Your money will hold the virus for a unknown time. It’s estimated 2 to 4 hours.

My son has been informed to take his shoes off and leave outside his house, remove his cloths and wash them immediately when entering the house.

The COVI-19 will even stick to the bottom of your shoes, he was advised.

When you go to a filling station and touch the pump. Door to pay. Counter. Money. Customer close to you while paying the list goes on.

So look after your partner. Family. Friends and people unknown to you.

ISOLATE

My son came to see my wife yesterday and stayed outside 2 mtrs away and begged us to stop in.

He turned and had a few tears. He is so under pressure at his hospital and whiteness’s how bad things are now and it’s not peaked, expected in 2 to 3 weeks.

Your life and that of everyone you come in touch with is in your hands.

For heavens sake listen to the advice given.

Stay put.

Before someone says you shouldn’t shout by using capital letters.

It’s an understatement, I’d like to highlight in red, but haven’t a clue how to.

Take care and stay safe everyone.

Den

It’s now confirmed 72 hours

This is how long the virus will live on smooth metal and plastic.

My daughter's experience is very similar. Thank you to all our NHS workers

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pyrie - 2020-03-22 9:38 AM

I think all second homes should be forfeit and compulsory purchased for a nominal £1. Councils know where they are. That will level the playing field and give homes back to the Cornish, Scots, cumbrians etc.

Yes

John52 - 2020-03-22 9:23 AM

StuartO - 2020-03-22 8:32 AM

(Incidentally this couple hit the news when they bought their second home; it was the first property in Southwold to sell for over £1 million. The expensive ones are now £3 million or more.) .

Who do you blame for that?

They don't pay those prices because they want to

Prices have been forced up by local NIMBYs opposing building and restricting supply.

(whilst the Goverment stokes up demand with taxpayer funded subsidies like so called help to buy)

Nothing to do with NIMBYs in this case, although I suppose the sea front is a conservation area or some such which might be included in what you mean. The really expensive properties are all on the sea front and built long, long ago. Pure supply and demand determines the prices if they come on the market. A really big one sold recently for nearly £3 million and the new owner has spent at least another £1 million on refurbishment and it seems to lie empty almost all the time. A few people are really really rich.

Getting a bit cross and finger wagging is ridiculous. The government could have been much harder on this and made non essential travel illegal. Their light touch approach I fear is going to cost us dearly. I reckon the horse has bolted now. They wanted to flatten the curve or so they said and not overwhelm the NHS. So why have they not done more sooner?

They wanted to flatten the curve or so they said and not overwhelm the NHS. So why have they not done more sooner?

Because of the herd/sheep mentality that Jo Public " isn't going to affect me" attitude people take.

They should be rounded up and sent to the Corona capital.

Barryd999 - 2020-03-22 9:57 AM

Getting a bit cross and finger wagging is ridiculous. The government could have been much harder on this and made non essential travel illegal. Their light touch approach I fear is going to cost us dearly. I reckon the horse has bolted now. They wanted to flatten the curve or so they said and not overwhelm the NHS. So why have they not done more sooner?

Consider this, in 5 years time come the next election what are people going to be worried about, several thousand extra who die now, or if they can afford the latest phone.

pyrie - 2020-03-22 11:21 AM

They wanted to flatten the curve or so they said and not overwhelm the NHS. So why have they not done more sooner?

Because of the herd/sheep mentality that Jo Public " isn't going to affect me" attitude people take.

They should be rounded up and sent to the Corona capital.

Probably no need - It's Darwin's theory of evolution in action. The big problem though is the collateral damage they will cause. They are Stewards of the Bar!

Darwin's theory is often misunderstood, " survival of the fittest" in Victorian prose is survival of the most appropriate, the " best fit".

In this case it would be the most cautious or sensible.

The fit idiots who think they are invincible are the weak link.

Just hope they don't break a leg, have a stroke or a heart attack while all the beds are full.

John52 - 2020-03-21 12:47 PM

StuartO - 2020-03-21 7:20 AM

John52 - 2020-03-21 3:06 AM

laimeduck - 2020-03-20 10:58 PM

No ifs buts or maybes - stay at home

For how long ?

Whatever it takes!

So if this virus persists for evermore like the common cold or flu we should stay indoors for evermore *-)

No, it doesn't work like that! As with there flu virus, and others, once you've had it, you normally build up your own immunity to getting it again. That's why the PM was at our time talking about heard immunity, ie most people have had it so those that haven't are less likely to get it. Main need at present is to slow the spread, so the NHS in particular can cope. So, the answer is, NO, you shouldn't go away in your M/H. Look on the news at the locals response to folk coming to rural areas, especially north Wales. Don't overload spares services.

DavieR - 2020-03-22 2:46 PM

Here's a message from Ian Blackford MP -

He is thinking of his constituents and he is also thinking of the welfare of those travelling to remote areas.

It's reported that the island ferries in Scotland are now carrying locals ONLY - so hopefully that should help stop spreading the virus to the islands.

:-|

Just had an email from the Camping and Caravanning HQ;At last they are closing all clubsites down completely with immediate effect.

I love my camping... but not enough to kill someone ..even advertently. (Is that manslaughter?)

We just need to bite the bullet and lockdown.

It is a daunting prospect for a few months but worse things happen.

of course it's a worry for full-timers. but there are not many in the UK and long stay residents on some sites in Spain etc seem to be ok if they are self contained for cooking , loos etc

So hard for a few but no excuse for those who just choose not to take the advice that is designed to protect the rest of us!!

malc d - 2020-03-22 3:27 PM

He is thinking of his constituents and he is also thinking of the welfare of those travelling to remote areas.

It's reported that the island ferries in Scotland are now carrying locals ONLY - so hopefully that should help stop spreading the virus to the islands.

Good....i hope it leaves some idiots stranded....preferably on an uninhabited island!

People with second homes and campervans have been reportedly travelling to the area in recent days.

Inverness and Nairn MSP, Mr Ewing said: “I am furious at the reckless and irresponsible behaviour of some people travelling to the Highland and Islands. This has to stop now. Let me be crystal clear, people should not be travelling to rural and island communities full stop. They are endangering lives. Do not travel.

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/news/furious-tourism-minister-issues-stay-away-message-to-highland-holiday-home-and-campervan-visitors-194457/

Conrad - 2020-03-22 3:12 PM

John52 - 2020-03-21 12:47 PM

StuartO - 2020-03-21 7:20 AM

John52 - 2020-03-21 3:06 AM

laimeduck - 2020-03-20 10:58 PM

No ifs buts or maybes - stay at home

For how long ?

Whatever it takes!

So if this virus persists for evermore like the common cold or flu we should stay indoors for evermore *-)

No, it doesn't work like that! As with there flu virus, and others, once you've had it, you normally build up your own immunity to getting it again. als response to folk coming to rural areas, especially north Wales. Don't overload spares services. . . .

Just to add a little extra colour to this. There are over 200 viruses that can cause the common cold/flu. Some cause mild symptoms and some cause flu like symptoms. Four of them are human corona viruses which in those cases cause only mild symptoms. Building up an immunity to one does not build immunity to the others. To some extent this is why the authorities have to determine each year which flu is likely to be in circulation in any given year and then produce a flu vaccine that’s appropriate. If they get that wrong then the unexpected strain can spread unabated.

We don’t yet know with any certainty whether recovery from Covid-19 or a Covid-19 vaccine will provide long term immunity to Covid-19. We hope it will, but it’s still one of the many unknowns.

Not so long ago government policy was admittedto be to go for herd immunity.. with about 60-80% of the population getting the virus.

At about 1% fatality rate that's upto 500,000 deaths!

Not all bad news - they said most of them will be economically inactive.

No wonder no increase in next years budget for social care !!

In the absence of strict government controls on movement and transmission all any of us can do is miniise our risk of catching it or spreading it!

Unfortunately it's getting harder to show how economically active us motorhomers are !!

StuartO - 2020-03-22 9:48 AM

John52 - 2020-03-22 9:23 AM

StuartO - 2020-03-22 8:32 AM

(Incidentally this couple hit the news when they bought their second home; it was the first property in Southwold to sell for over £1 million. The expensive ones are now £3 million or more.) .

Who do you blame for that?

They don't pay those prices because they want to

Prices have been forced up by local NIMBYs opposing building and restricting supply.

(whilst the Goverment stokes up demand with taxpayer funded subsidies like so called help to buy)

Nothing to do with NIMBYs in this case, although I suppose the sea front is a conservation area or some such which might be included in what you mean. The really expensive properties are all on the sea front and built long, long ago. Pure supply and demand determines the prices if they come on the market. A really big one sold recently for nearly £3 million and the new owner has spent at least another £1 million on refurbishment and it seems to lie empty almost all the time. A few people are really really rich.

You can see supply and demand affect the price, so why can't you see that Nimbys restricting the supply affects the price? We have over 6,000 miles of coastline - if a bit of that was developed it would be an alternative to those seafront properties in Southwold.

Another sleazy politician pandering to the selfish nimbys who elect him.

This is a major contributor to the housing crisis. If you want to build a housing estate everyone who wanted to move there would vote in favour. But only those who already live there get a vote. so nothing gets built,

And because so any people are living on top of one another the only way they can go out and maintain a safe distance is by going to a less populated area. But Blackford doesn't care about them because they have no vote in his area. >:-)

John52 - 2020-03-23 9:20 AM

………….. because so any people are living on top of one another the only way they can go out and maintain a safe distance is by going to a less populated area.

It's quite understandable that people in crowded areas want to move to less crowded areas, but spreading a virus is not a human right.

malc d - 2020-03-23 9:40 AM

………….. because so any people are living on top of one another the only way they can go out and maintain a safe distance is by going to a less populated area.

It's quite understandable that people in crowded areas want to move to less crowded areas, but spreading a virus is not a human right.

The idea of moving to less crowded areas is to avoid spreading the virus

John52 - 2020-03-26 10:09 AM

malc d - 2020-03-23 9:40 AM

The idea of moving to less crowded areas is to avoid spreading the virus

But as no-one is being tested, we don't know who is taking the virus with them.

Archived