Can we keep Motorhoming

John Allen

John52 - 2020-03-26 10:09 AM

malc d - 2020-03-23 9:40 AM

John52 - 2020-03-23 9:20 AM

………….. because so any people are living on top of one another the only way they can go out and maintain a safe distance is by going to a less populated area.

It's quite understandable that people in crowded areas want to move to less crowded areas, but spreading a virus is not a human right.

:-|

The idea of moving to less crowded areas is to avoid spreading the virus

People are not moving to less crowded areas to altruistically avoid spreading the virus, they’re moving to avoid catching the virus, but in the very act of doing so may increase the rate of spread through the UK.

As has been stated I think a number of times, any of us may already have the virus and be both asymptomatic and infectious so the most socially constructive thing to do is stay put. Once we have the means to test everybody we will at least know where the virus is and finally enforce quarantining for infectious individuals. Ultimately that will be the only way to stop the virus’s spread. This may of course all be a moot point as I suspect gov.uk gave up on any form of containment strategy a long time ago so with a vaccine probably a year away we should all be prepared for what we’ll do when we become infected – if we aren’t infected already.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
John52 - 2020-03-26 10:09 AM .....  The idea of moving to less crowded areas is to avoid spreading the virus

Surely the aim of those moving to a rural/remote/resort location is to reduce their personal risk of contracting the virus?  Either that or some other selfish motive such as prefering to be in a pleasanter location?

I can tell you as someone who lives in a remote rural location in what "was" a touristy area people are still coming out from the towns for walks, walking their dogs and even popping into the few shops in the larger villages that open and the locals or flaming fuming. Ive not heard of an altercation yet but it wont be long. I thought it was now illegal to make unnecessary journeys but once again the finger wagging no teeth approach is just being ignored.

Just stay at home! Your own home. How hard can it fecking be?

This is what is happening in Italy, the North got it 1st and announced lockdown in a few days time instead of

immediately so in that time the residents moved south taking the virus with them and now the south is starting to increase in cases and is going to go through what the north did, so yes following the advise the government is saying is crucial, stay at home do all them jobs you were putting off, personally i need lockdown for 6 months to do all my jobs (lol) (lol)

jonathan

Barryd999 - 2020-03-26 12:47 PM

I can tell you as someone who lives in a remote rural location in what "was" a touristy area people are still coming out from the towns for walks, walking their dogs and even popping into the few shops in the larger villages that open and the locals or flaming fuming. Ive not heard of an altercation yet but it wont be long. I thought it was now illegal to make unnecessary journeys but once again the finger wagging no teeth approach is just being ignored.

Just stay at home! Your own home. How hard can it fecking be?

We walk to various farm shops or village shops.it was a 9 mile round trip yesterday. They are very pleased to do the business. How far is too far? We have been avoiding the supermarkets as they were packed.

silverback - 2020-03-26 1:15 PM

This is what is happening in Italy, the North got it 1st and announced lockdown in a few days time instead of

immediately so in that time the residents moved south taking the virus with them and now the south is starting to increase in cases and is going to go through what the north did, so yes following the advise the government is saying is crucial, stay at home do all them jobs you were putting off, personally i need lockdown for 6 months to do all my jobs (lol) (lol)

jonathan

In Italy the first local restrictions started after the first recorded death, on 8th march when there had been 366 deaths the lockdown was expanded to cover the whole of the north, the next day when this had risen to 463 the entire country entered the same sort of lockdown we now have, two days later with 827 deaths this was tightened to shut down pretty much all non essential businesses.

So far in the UK we have been on very similar trajectory, except we didn't have the earlier local lockdowns.

jumpstart - 2020-03-26 1:32 PM

We walk to various farm shops or village shops.it was a 9 mile round trip yesterday. They are very pleased to do the business. How far is too far? We have been avoiding the supermarkets as they were packed.

Although my daily walks take me to surrounding villages, I wouldn't dream of going into their shops as it doesn't seem to me to be within the spirit of the restrictions when we have our own shops in our village and can avoid interaction (infection risk) with other communities.

We are in any case minimising the number of shops we have to visit as each visit must carry a risk, no matter how small.

None of the restrictions can guarantee a zero infection risk, only to minimise it, and it stands to reason that the more interactions you make the more the risk increases, which is why we are supposed to be staying at home save for very specific exemptions that include shopping for basic necessities "which must be as infrequent as possible" and for as little time as necessary.

That's not an open ticket to visit various farm and village shops however much individual establishments may be wishing for custom!

You may not catch the virus yourself in an adjoining village or farm shop, but that doesn't mean you can't pick up viral particles and unintentionally help to spread them whilst travelling there or back.

colin - 2020-03-26 1:40 PM

silverback - 2020-03-26 1:15 PM

jonathan

In Italy the first local restrictions started after the first recorded death, on 8th march when there had been 366 deaths the lockdown was expanded to cover the whole of the north, the next day when this had risen to 463 the entire country entered the same sort of lockdown we now have, two days later with 827 deaths this was tightened to shut down pretty much all non essential businesses.

So far in the UK we have been on very similar trajectory, except we didn't have the earlier local lockdowns.

I agree, but the point i was trying to make was people moving south before the restrictions were made, so all the people in London our epicenter have now moved around the country to their 2nd homes eg, the lakes wales cornwall norfolf etc because that is where they feel safer

we was in Benicassim in Spain they announced the lockdown within 48 hrs, so the people in Madrid high tailed it to the coast to their summer homes the locals were not best pleased and neither was the police but they couldn't do anything about it, needless to say we came home! quickly! so staying in is the best policy in your own house.

Jonathan

Deneb - 2020-03-26 1:55 PM

jumpstart - 2020-03-26 1:32 PM

Although my daily walks take me to surrounding villages, I wouldn't dream of going into their shops as it doesn't seem to me to be within the spirit of the restrictions when we have our own shops in our village and can avoid interaction (infection risk) with other communities.

We are in any case minimising the number of shops we have to visit as each visit must carry a risk, no matter how small.

None of the restrictions can guarantee a zero infection risk, only to minimise it, and it stands to reason that the more interactions you make the more the risk increases, which is why we are supposed to be staying at home save for very specific exemptions that include shopping for basic necessities "which must be as infrequent as possible" and for as little time as necessary.

That's not an open ticket to visit various farm and village shops however much individual establishments may be wishing for custom!

You may not catch the virus yourself in an adjoining village or farm shop, but that doesn't mean you can't pick up viral particles and unintentionally help to spread them whilst travelling there or back.

I understand your hypothetical argument but that also applies for going to supermarkets. So its either drive to a supermarket and join the queues or walk to a farm shop. First you phone through and pay for an order then when you arrive the order is put outside the shop for you to take . So there is no contact. This is the whole purpose of farm shops. It’s infinitely better than going to a supermarket. Exactly the same at the butchers in another direction. Our village last had a shop in the 50’s , so we all have to go somewhere.

EDALE MOUNTAIN RESCUE TEAM ISSUE WARNING

We have been dismayed over recent days at the number of people out and about within the Peak District . Groups of people walking , riding, running who have clearly travelled some distance to be here and are effectively “carrying on as normal”. The number of households containing 4 people with bikes has surprised us given the number of cars seen with people and bikes in.

People should exercise safely and locally and not carry on with their adventures as normal. On various activity forums comments have been made of “we always go out there”, “we are always careful”, “ I have never had an accident”.

Most, if not all people who Mountain Rescue Teams assist are always careful and 99.9% have never been rescued before. Yet Peak District teams still get called out over 300 times a year.

If you have an accident in the current Covid 19 outbreak, please remember this;

Your rescue can not be guaranteed and if it is, it may not be as quick a response as normal

Assuming you do get a response, you will be putting at least 12 team members at potential risk from Covid 19

You will be putting at least 12 team members families at risk from Covid 19

You will be putting the ambulance service staff at additional risk from Covid 19

You will be taking up an ambulance resource that will be required elsewhere

When you eventually get treated at hospital which may take some time due to the current crisis you will be taking up resource and you will be putting NHS staff at additional risk.

If it is a serious accident you may not get to see your loved ones for some time as you may end up isolated.

The Peak District countryside and hills will still be here when this crisis passes. The grass may even be little greener and the tracks and trails a little narrower and less muddy

Please

STAY AT HOME

PROTECT THE NHS

SAVE LIVES

https://www.facebook.com/edalemountainrescue/

jumpstart - 2020-03-26 3:12 PM

I understand your hypothetical argument but that also applies for going to supermarkets. So its either drive to a supermarket and join the queues or walk to a farm shop. First you phone through and pay for an order then when you arrive the order is put outside the shop for you to take . So there is no contact. This is the whole purpose of farm shops. It’s infinitely better than going to a supermarket. Exactly the same at the butchers in another direction. Our village last had a shop in the 50’s , so we all have to go somewhere.

Being allowed to leave your home for as little time as is necessary to shop for basic necessities as infrequently as possible isn't hypothetical. It's the current restriction that is in place.

I could also suggest that your view of the whole purpose of farm shops is also hypothetical, because that is certainly not how the local farm shop here operates. Until last Monday it was a free for all inside an enclosed farm building, with the counter and cash register/card reader inside a wooden shed erected within the larger building, in which customers were queuing in a U shaped line to pay at the till. There was no social distancing being practised or enforced in any shape or form.

Only after the local Covid-19 related deaths over the weekend did the staff start to implement a different policy, which is now two customers inside the building at any time and queuing customers outside being requested to maintain 2 metres between one another.

I was so concerned from what I saw walking past the farm over a week before that, that I made the decision to avoid the place completely. And I wouldn't have made a personal visit to the local supermarket for all the tea in China!

I had to make a visit to the local post office last week, which only had three customers whilst I was there, although I ended up having to wait to be served for what seemed like an interminable time whilst the man ahead of me wanted to send a cigarette lighter to India and felt it necessary to argue his inalienable right to do so, despite being shown the printed list of prohibited postal articles, and a visit to the butcher when I was the only customer in the shop. I also visited the Parish Council office where I was requested to wash my hands before entering and then expected to dry them on a communal towel, so I let them drip-dry over the office carpet. I did tell them that I didn't think a towel was a good idea in the circumstances, but they said that they had to give visitors a choice (to catch the virus or not presumably)!

Apart from that, having managed to obtain two supermarket deliveries in the last three weeks, and a delivery from a local trade food distributor which was spread around our neighbours, I have no intention of going anywhere near another shop for as long as possible and certainly have no need to in the immediate future. If necessary, we can get by for a considerable time with deliveries of basic supplies from the trade distributor, although having to forego niceties and "luxury" items.

We still have another week and a half to go before the full extent of infections in this area, that will have occurred prior to the mass change in social distancing behaviour at the beginning of this week, become known.

Billggski - 2020-03-26 3:37 PM

If you have an accident in the current Covid 19 outbreak, please remember this;

Your rescue can not be guaranteed and if it is, it may not be as quick a response as normal

Assuming you do get a response, you will be putting at least 12 team members at potential risk from Covid 19

You will be putting at least 12 team members families at risk from Covid 19

You will be putting the ambulance service staff at additional risk from Covid 19

You will be taking up an ambulance resource that will be required elsewhere

When you eventually get treated at hospital which may take some time due to the current crisis you will be taking up resource and you will be putting NHS staff at additional risk.

If it is a serious accident you may not get to see your loved ones for some time as you may end up isolated.

And if you do end up having to go to a hospital for whatever reason, if you haven't already got Covid-19 the chances of contracting it whilst you are there are far greater than almost anywhere else at the present time.

History books record that in WW2 people fled into the countryside from towns and cities to get away from the bombs.

I fear that future historians may record that in 2020 people fled into the countryside from towns and cities and took the bombs with them.

:-(

Deneb - 2020-03-26 3:52 PM

jumpstart - 2020-03-26 3:12 PM

Being allowed to leave your home for as little time as is necessary to shop for basic necessities as infrequently as possible isn't hypothetical. It's the current restriction that is in place.

I could also suggest that your view of the whole purpose of farm shops is also hypothetical, because that is certainly not how the local farm shop here operates. Until last Monday it was a free for all inside an enclosed farm building, with the counter and cash register/card reader inside a wooden shed erected within the larger building, in which customers were queuing in a U shaped line to pay at the till. There was no social distancing being practised or enforced in any shape or form.

Only after the local Covid-19 related deaths over the weekend did the staff start to implement a different policy, which is now two customers inside the building at any time and queuing customers outside being requested to maintain 2 metres between one another.

I was so concerned from what I saw walking past the farm over a week before that, that I made the decision to avoid the place completely. And I wouldn't have made a personal visit to the local supermarket for all the tea in China!

I had to make a visit to the local post office last week, which only had three customers whilst I was there, although I ended up having to wait to be served for what seemed like an interminable time whilst the man ahead of me wanted to send a cigarette lighter to India and felt it necessary to argue his inalienable right to do so, despite being shown the printed list of prohibited postal articles, and a visit to the butcher when I was the only customer in the shop. I also visited the Parish Council office where I was requested to wash my hands before entering and then expected to dry them on a communal towel, so I let them drip-dry over the office carpet. I did tell them that I didn't think a towel was a good idea in the circumstances, but they said that they had to give visitors a choice (to catch the virus or not presumably)!

Apart from that, having managed to obtain two supermarket deliveries in the last three weeks, and a delivery from a local trade food distributor which was spread around our neighbours, I have no intention of going anywhere near another shop for as long as possible and certainly have no need to in the immediate future. If necessary, we can get by for a considerable time with deliveries of basic supplies from the trade distributor, although having to forego niceties and "luxury" items.

We still have another week and a half to go before the full extent of infections in this area, that will have occurred prior to the mass change in social distancing behaviour at the beginning of this week, become known.

Well we seem to be better set up down here then. Your reason for not going to the farm shop is my reason for not going to the supermarket. The supermarkets don’t have a monopoly on food supplies luckily, There have been no delivery slots available from any of the supermarkets down here ,they all say none available for 3 weeks, every day. So farm shops it is ,and very pleased with the service.

malc d - 2020-03-26 4:28 PM

History books record that in WW2 people fled into the countryside from towns and cities to get away from the bombs.

I fear that future historians may record that in 2020 people fled into the countryside from towns and cities and took the bombs with them.

:-(

couldn't have put it better! 8-) *-) the blooming numpties

Jonathan

DavieR - 2020-03-22 2:46 PM

Here's a message from Ian Blackford MP -

He is thinking of his constituents and he is also thinking of the welfare of those travelling to remote areas.

Did he mention Prince Charles taking Coronovirus to the highlands?

(after having a test not available to front line workers)

or is that different *-)

Billggski - 2020-03-26 12:00 PM

I suppose the question is... if you lived in an isolated place with few intensive care beds per person, and those 50 miles away. Would you want some rich bod from an infection hot spot moving in next door?

Everywhere in the country has few intensive care beds per person.

Thats why we are in lockdown.

There aren't enough beds for all the patients

If that person has come from an infection hot spot there will be an even greater shortage of beds there.

If we are all in this together what does it matter which hospital they take up a bed in?

Sorry, but as usual you are pratting on in ignorance. Don't you read the posts or do you just witter on aimlessly as you've no one else to annoy?

It's the number of intensive care beds per person, And the distance that is the issue in rural areas.

Today police in North wales and South have stop motorhomes on the A55 and in the south M4 .

Turned them around and sent them home ..

The Welsh goverment have passed a law closing all caravan and campsites .Also they have a law banning

Wild camping .

Billggski - 2020-03-26 10:22 PM

Sorry, but as usual you are pratting on in ignorance. Don't you read the posts or do you just witter on aimlessly as you've no one else to annoy?

It's the number of intensive care beds per person, And the distance that is the issue in rural areas.

At the risk of stating the obvious again its the number of intensive beds per person in ALL areas that is the issue.

Actually, on Radio Cornwall today a spokesperson for Royal Cornwall Hospital said they were 'quiet'

Wheras London is the 'epicentre' of the crisis

(due to BoJo and his cronies standing too close to people and infecting each other apparently. These are the clowns advising us how to avoid infection - and get it themselves. Yet they still think they are so indispensable they refuse to stand aside when they are sick)so what is your point?

So what is your point?

ham - 2020-03-27 8:36 PM

Today police in North wales and South have stop motorhomes on the A55 and in the south M4 .

Turned them around and sent them home ..

The Welsh goverment have passed a law closing all caravan and campsites .Also they have a law banning

Wild camping .

I just don’t understand the necessity to close the sites. Stop new entries ok but turfing every one out seems counter productive to me.

We were due to sell our house and spend most of this year touring around, and spend time looking for another house. Luckily we hadn’t by the time the virus arrived. I know of others who are in their Motorhome without permanent residence, so where do they go?

jumpstart - 2020-03-28 7:20 AM..... I just don’t understand the necessity to close the sites.....We were due to sell our house and spend most of this year touring around, and spend time looking for another house. Luckily we hadn’t by the time the virus arrived. I know of others who are in their Motorhome without permanent residence, so where do they go?

Just as our driving laws bundle motorhomes in as an afterthought, I expect that full-timer motorhomers haven't really been considered.  Clearly they are expected not to live like Travellers, so none of the wandering around that you were envisaging can be allowed, but no specific provision seems to have been made for allowing them to pitch up anywhere so far. 

There's a chap whose been living in an elderly Elddis MH in a layby on the A12, South of Lowestoft for many months; he has basically stayed put there but disappears from time to time, presumably to do the necessaries somewhere, we know not where.  We're staying at home now so we haven't driven past his usual location for a couple of weeks, so I do feel some concern for him.

Campsites of the C&CC aand CAMC sort (with closed toilet blocks) would seem to be the obvious resort but it's easy to understand why those two clubs wouldn't want to volunteer for  the role of accommodating motorhoming refugees who probably wouldn't normally go anywhere near their sites.  They are unlikely to be their usual type of conformist clientele.

StuartO - 2020-03-28 7:36 AM...............….Campsites of the C&CC aand CAMC sort (with closed toilet blocks) would seem to be the obvious resort but it's easy to understand why those two clubs wouldn't want to volunteer for  the role of accommodating motorhoming refugees who probably wouldn't normally go anywhere near their sites.  They are unlikely to be their usual type of conformist clientele.

Don't forget that the site wardens of both clubs are non-essential workers, so obliged to stay at home just as the rest of us are. In addition, were the sites open, there could be no guaranty that the next arrival would be virus free. I suspect that the majority of the wardens are happier to be at home than on sites.

People don't acquire an absolute right to wander simply because they've bought a motorhome and want to use it. What happens if they become infected? Who else then risks infection while trying to assist them? They cannot be blamed if circumstances have genuinely caught them out, but this virus has now been circulating since January, and its contagiousness and propensity to become serious have been abundantly publicised, so those still out in late March have had ample time to read the writing on the wall and act accordingly.

Archived