everyone off to scottish highlands then?

spirou

John52. You ironically have awarded yourself the Duke of Edinburgh Award for Tact and Diplomacy.

You still don’t get the seriousness of this Covid-19 virus do you?

Of course you can drive up to the Highlands from wherever you live, feeling perfectly fine.

You can have been a breeding ground for the virus for seven days prior to feeling unwell without your knowing, -breathing and coughing and putting your contaminated hands on fuel pumps, water taps, petrol station door handles, cash machines, credit card readers and supermarket trolleys or baskets.

You can very rapidly fall unwell and be unable to drive home, situated as you are in a remote area.

Who sorts you out then, -with your entitled, unalienable right to wander wherever you selfishly deem fit?

Paramedics? Nursing staff? Doctors? All locals. All with young families, all with next to no Personal Protective Equipment because of Governmental stupidity over the years? All of whom would feel a moral obligation to help you, because that’s what they do, that’s who they are.

Fine.

Get in your van, drive up here, see what welcome you get. But bring a shovel with you, and strap it outside your vehicle. Just in case.

Plenty of peat bogs up here.

As for greedy locals fleecing tourists.............

Your ignorance doesn’t surprise me. It merely reinforces the perception your avatar conveys.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
John52 - 2020-03-23 2:45 PM

jumpstart - 2020-03-23 12:24 PM

John52 - 2020-03-23 9:03 AM

jumpstart - 2020-03-23 6:48 AM

Just saw a photo of a standard ...Welcome to Devon...sign. It read ....You are NOT Welcome to Devon.

So F**K off until covic 19 is over , Cornwall don’t want you either.

I dread to think what sort of person thinks they own Devon & Cornwall and have the right to say who goes there.

Spare a thought for those living on top of one another in cramped housing, or just in cities where it would be impossible to go out and maintain the 2m safe distance.

The only way they can maintain a safe distance when they go out is to go to a less populated area.

If you go in a motorhome and it looks crowded, just move on to where it isn't.

I wouldn't let anyone tell me I can't go - on principle.

Public property like roads is for EVERYONE,not just the selfish few who try to steal it for themselves.

Who buy or rent private property and think that gives them exclusive right to public property as well

(sorry for shouting but its important, a fundamental right, and I don't know how else to emphasise it)

You clearly haven’t been paying attention to various Hospital staff all saying ...Please stay put.

I saw photos of staff with placards saying... We stay here to save you. Please would you stay home to save us....

You clearly haven't been paying attention. Nobody is suggesting carrying the virus into NHS hospitals. Just going somewhere remote to self isolate. If someone is able to drive up to the highlands and isolate themselves in a motorhome thy are hardly likely to be infected. And if they are, its better that they are somewhere sparsely populated where they can maintain a safer distance apart than they can at home.

This is just local people being selfish. 'Our local businesses are shut so we can't make any money out of you. So we don't want you to use the public areas here - we want to steal your public owned areas to keep just for ourself. At least until our businesses reopen and we can start fleecing you again.'

John I often agree with a lot of what you say but not on this. We are in unprecedented territory here. It wont just be one motorhome will it or one second homer. It will be lots. all sharing the same shops, diesel pumps, water sources etc etc. They are just as safe in their own homes. Probably safer as they wont need to go out. Rural areas cannot look after them if they get sick. Every time you go on a journey in a vehicle your adding to the risk. What if you break down and need help, have a bump etc?

I appreciate its harder for people in bedsits and cramped accommodation in big cities but chances are they will be young and stand a better chance. Just a wild guess but I imagine most motorhomers do not live in bedsits or cramped accommodation. Stay at home. If people continue like they are then the next step IMO should be to force them to stop.

By the way, living in the sticks is no guarantee of safety either. Ive been really careful but Ive been laid up for two days with some kind of virus and flu like symptoms.

Billggski - 2020-03-23 3:33 PM

North Wales has the lowest number of intensive care beds per capita in the UK, no wonder they don't want us there, ( especially if we don't speak Welsh)

Didn't know that but doesn't surprise me.

The welsh government haven't got a clue, IMO of course.

They give out free prescriptions for everyone, every pill popper gets as many as they want all for free. That costs so much, along with other odd policies, that clearly their NHS is poorly equipt and their schools are badly funded and resourced too. The funding per pupil in a welsh school is about 30 per cent less, multiply that by 1000 for a high school and the difference is massive. I used to work in a Welsh school, dreadfully resourced compared to my wife who worked in an English school just a few miles away.

In North Wales their cancer care is very limited, friends parents live near Absersock and all of their cancer treatment has been done in England.

Just saw a photo of a standard ...Welcome to Devon...sign. It read ....You are NOT Welcome to Devon.

I dread to think what sort of person thinks they own Devon & Cornwall and have the right to say who goes there.

Spare a thought for those living on top of one another in cramped housing, or just in cities where it would be impossible to go out and maintain the 2m safe distance.

The only way they can maintain a safe distance when they go out is to go to a less populated area.

Public property like roads is for EVERYONE,not just the selfish few who try to steal it for themselves.

Who buy or rent private property and think that gives them exclusive right to public property as well

(sorry for shouting but its important, a fundamental right, and I don't know how else to emphasise it)

You clearly haven’t been paying attention to various Hospital staff all saying ...Please stay put.

I saw photos of staff with placards saying... We stay here to save you. Please would you stay home to save us....

You clearly haven't been paying attention. Nobody is suggesting carrying the virus into NHS hospitals. Just going somewhere remote to self isolate. If someone is able to drive up to the highlands and isolate themselves in a motorhome thy are hardly likely to be infected. And if they are, its better that they are somewhere sparsely populated where they can maintain a safer distance apart than they can at home.

This is just local people being selfish. 'Our local businesses are shut so we can't make any money out of you. So we don't want you to use the public areas here - we want to steal your public owned areas to keep just for ourself. At least until our businesses reopen and we can start fleecing you again.'

Occasionally (just occasionally) I find your posts humorous but you really have gone beyond the pale now.

Can the mods PLEASE do something about this offensive idiot? People are dying, this has barely started - It goes way, way beyond reasonable discussion.

John52 - 2020-03-23 10:08 PM

Solwaybuggier - 2020-03-23 7:58 PM

People are dying, this has barely started .

I think everybody knows that, because nobody has said otherwise, so I can't see the point of your post?

The point was to ask the mods to consider suspending you if you cannot behave with any humanity in the current circumstances.

Solwaybuggier - 2020-03-23 10:12 PM

John52 - 2020-03-23 10:08 PM

Solwaybuggier - 2020-03-23 7:58 PM

People are dying, this has barely started .

I think everybody knows that, because nobody has said otherwise, so I can't see the point of your post?

The point was to ask the mods to consider suspending you if you cannot behave with any humanity in the current circumstances.

humanity is minimising the risk of transmitting the virus.

Everyone's circumstances are different.

Some may have another home that is not as well isolated as their motorhome.

Some are full timers whose home is their motorhome - they don't have another - what should they do?

John52 - 2020-03-23 10:09 PM

Barryd999 - 2020-03-23 9:31 PM

you have to stay at home so I imagine anyone found in the Scottish Highlands in a motorhome .

what if their home is a motor-home?

Well thats a different story. For Full Timers I really dont know what the answer is. Even Static caravan parks where people live all year round are sending people packing and some of them probably dont have other homes.

I have no idea how many full timers there are and I guess they will be off the Governments radar until they become a problem. If I were a full timer I would be probably have a couple of remote CL sites I was on good terms with and do a deal and just stay there. I guess its either that or rent flat or house.

As of 8.30 this evening there are 4 permitted reasons for leaving one's home. NONE of them include using a motorhome or travelling so let's all realise the desperate situation we are in, and obey the instructions.

Dick

DickB - 2020-03-23 11:41 PM

As of 8.30 this evening there are 4 permitted reasons for leaving one's home. NONE of them include using a motorhome or travelling so let's all realise the desperate situation we are in, and obey the instructions.

Dick

what are the instructions for those whose motorHOME is their home?

John52 - 2020-03-24 7:15 AM

DickB - 2020-03-23 11:41 PM

Dick

what are the instructions for those whose motorHOME is their home?

I would say its stay put.

Barryd999 - 2020-03-23 10:53 PM

you have to stay at home so I imagine anyone found in the Scottish Highlands in a motorhome .

Well thats a different story. For Full Timers I really dont know what the answer is. Even Static caravan parks where people live all year round are sending people packing and some of them probably dont have other homes.

I have no idea how many full timers there are and I guess they will be off the Governments radar until they become a problem. If I were a full timer I would be probably have a couple of remote CL sites I was on good terms with and do a deal and just stay there. I guess its either that or rent flat or house.

Sites will be risking their planning permission if they let people in when they have been ordered to close.

As for renting an affordable flat or house thats more isolated than their motorhome, good luck with that. :-S

John52 - 2020-03-24 7:19 AM

Barryd999 - 2020-03-23 10:53 PM

Sites will be risking their planning permission if they let people in when they have been ordered to close.

As for renting an affordable flat or house thats more isolated than their motorhome, good luck with that. :-S

CL' s are not sites and dont need planning permission. That said I imagine most will be closed and they may not be welcome anyway unless perhaps they are known to the farmer and they are willing to turn a blind eye.

A rented house would be more isolated than a motorhome though as no matter how prepared you think you are in a motorhome you still have to go outside every few days and access shared facilities and its likely you will need to find supplies more often. In theory if you need to self isolate because your ill can you stay inside your motorhome for two weeks without going out? I dont think so. Thats easily achievable in a house or a flat even.

Barryd999 - 2020-03-24 8:14 AM

A rented house would be more isolated than a motorhome though

Maybe it would out in the sticks where you live, but I doubt if full-timers culd afford that, and most people live in cramped housing.

Barryd999 - 2020-03-24 8:14 AM

as no matter how prepared you think you are in a motorhome you still have to go outside every few days and access shared facilities .

as you would if you were living in a flat or HMO or even a house. But at least when you go to the supermarket in a motorhome you can while away the time in self isolation until the queues subside. Or move on to another supermarket thats less crowded.

Billggski - 2020-03-24 8:20 AM

Note page 2 reference to caravan sites.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/874732/230320_-_Revised_guidance_note_-_finalVF.pdf

(CLs don't need permission but can only open for 28 days a year)

I didn't know that, Thanks

But I still don't know whether they have been ordered to close like other caravan sites?

And I can't see this being over in 28 days - nobody seems to have an exit strategy.

At least I haven't heard of one.

This level of isolation can't continue for long - the economic damage is catastrophic

I realise its unseemly to talk about the economy when people come back with emotive virtue-signalling platitudes like 'people are dying' etc,,,,,,,,,

But, lets face it and be honest about it, the harsh reality is the economy is more important than even the nhs, because without the economy there would be no nhs.

Good morning,

Does anyone seriously think that a jobsworth from the council planning dept is going to turn up under present circumstances and ask someone to move on ? They have enough to do, even if they are still at work

CLs/CSs have no limitation on their duration of opening under planning law (indeed, there are (were) quite obviously a large number around the country open all year round).

Club rallies, and THSs and their equivalents fall under parallel but different arrangements, and there is a "Gentleman's Agreement" with the authorised exempted bodies (incl. C&MC and C&CC) that the duration of these won't exceed 5 days and 28 days respectively.

Edited: 5/28 in wrong order.

goldi - 2020-03-24 9:11 AM

Good morning,

Does anyone seriously think that a jobsworth from the council planning dept is going to turn up under present circumstances and ask someone to move on ? They have enough to do, even if they are still at work

depends on the pressure they get from local nimbys on whom they depend for votes.

They were looking for an excuse to ban motorhomes before this virus was even heard of

coronovirus is more credible than some of the other excuses they have used

remember Scarborough council banning motorhomes from the marine drive on the grounds they blocked the view from residents windows *-)

when the nearest windows were on the cliff top 100 feet above *-)

Robinhood - 2020-03-24 9:17 AM

CLs/CSs have no limitation on their duration of opening under planning law (indeed, there are (were) quite obviously a large number around the country open all year round).

Club rallies, and THSs and their equivalents fall under parallel but different arrangements, and there is a "Gentleman's Agreement" with the authorised exempted bodies (incl. C&MC and C&CC) that the duration of these won't exceed 5 days and 28 days respectively.

Edited: 5/28 in wrong order.

Doesn't the 28 day limitation has something to do with not paying Council Tax to occupy a camp site pitch, which would be required for longer term occupation?

Surely in theory CLs & CSs get their exemption from planning requirements from their parent organisation- the CMHC, the CCC, MCC, etc. (Otherwise CLs and CSs wouldn’t be distinct.). So if the CMHC have told CLs to close, they’ve removed their delegated permission. But in practice, as has been said already, it’s pretty unlikely councils will take any enforcement action!

Whether any CL owner would want to take in a full timer, given the strength of anger (if you doubt it, look on local Facebook groups) caused by the actions of an irresponsible minority of motorhomers, is entirely another matter. Which doesn’t help the full timers.

Archived