Are my batteries OK

garethgb21

So I've just tested the theory that the leisure battery is actually having power drawn into the started battery.

This is what I have done....

Leasure battery - not connected to anything 12.92V

Started battery - 12.13V

Then I connected the leisure battery and...

Leasure battery 12.72V

Started battery 12.4V

So it looks like the started battery is indeed drawing from the leisure battery as once connected, the volts reduce on the leisure battery, but the volts increase on the starter battery.

Question is. What do I do now?

Do you have a 'conventional' split charge relay or does your 'ZIG' unit actually incorporate something more elaborate.

I would start by looking at the starter battery for obvious 'add on' wires and then follow them looking for a relay. If you do find one then unplug it and see what happens. The contacts may have 'welded' closed.

Keith.

Like looking for a needle in a haystack if one is unfamiliar with motorhome electrical systems.

One thing for sure, though, the 12.13 voltage reading of the starter battery indicates that it is heavily discharged and needs recharging NOW with a good quality battery charger for 24 hours minimum.

garethgb21 - 2020-05-22 9:49 AM

Question is. What do I do now?

Disconnect the positive connector from the starter battery and check for a voltage on the lead. Perhaps the Zig unit has a leakage between the starter and leisure batteries. A quick fix would be put an isolation switch on the leisure batteries for when you want to 'store' it.

I think we've cracked it!

So I did as advised and took a reading from the starter battery, then removed the positive cable. I took another reading from the cable only, and it was live.

So I have introduced a fuse for now, and when it's out then no power is supplied to the starter battery anymore from the leisure batties.

The starter battery is also now on charge as it's a bit low on juice.

So the case is solved!

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Archived