Is it still worth buying a nearly new motorhome in 2020?

TonyC123

I have found that vehicle width is a greater restriction on where on can go than length. Many coachbuilt conversion bodies are in the region of 2.3 to 2.35 metres wide and, when their extended arm external mirrors are taken into account, the overall width can prove challenging in small places. Many suffer mirror damage as a consequence. So, bear in mind the advantages of a van with a narrower body, preferably sufficiently so that it does not need those extended mirror arms.

I gain the impression that you do not already have a motorhome and possibly have not previously used one. If so, I'd suggest hiring before you buy. Many things are not apparent when viewing these vehicles, but become so when actually using one. We are all different, so what one likes, or will tolerate, drives others mad!

Our van (a panel van conversion, or PVC) is 6.0 metres long. It has a forward dinette/lounge, a reasonable hob, a usable washroom (though the shower is a bit of a joke - but we didn't intend to - and don't - use it), and a comfortable transverse double bed. We find it provides comfortable, practical, accommodation and adequate storage for the two of us for trips of up to three months - but we don't use it in winter. PVCs do suffer from a loss of width at high, and floor, level compared to coachbuilts - due to the curving sidewall profiles of the vans from which they are converted. This mostly shows in shallower high level lockers.

As already stated, be very careful around payloads. Based on experience of our present van, I'd also suggest looking for vehicles based on the (almost invariably Fiat!) "heavy" chassis. This is easier if buying new, as in a great many cases it is a cost option when ordering. It does not impose a heavier MAM (so possible driving licence problems post 70 years of age), and can usually be specified at 3,500kg. It just rides and runs better than vans on the standard "light" chassis which, by comparison, seem more skittish on the road. It also comes with beefier brakes and a slightly lower ratio final drive, both of which are an advantage in the mountains.

My suggestion would be to start by following this link: http://tinyurl.com/ya283ez9 and buying "Go Motorhoming and Campervanning" - especially at its presently discounted price! It is a fund of information and was written by motorhomers as an introduction to motorhoming. The owners of Vicarious Books are both active motorhomers. That book will answer many questions you haven't yet thought of! :-D

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there Zedfour, and to be fair that is a very good question.

I think for the right van I would go up to 7 metres, but as a single person I wont need quite so much space as a couple might need, and i wanted to get away with as compact a van as possible.

I've only driven 6 metre plus vehicles a few times, and I found them a bit intimidating in towns.

I think there is also the thing that above 7 metres you start to find fewer places to park up in towns and villages, and dont want to cruise through a village and carry straight on because I couldnt spot a big enough parking space, and couldn't find a place to turn my van around.

To be fair I might be exaggerating the challenges, and the limitations that a bigger vehicle puts on your travelling. Plenty of people breeze around the UK in large vehicles with zero stress, and get into all sorts of tiny villages and parkups with no problems.

My general impression is that above 7.5 metres starts to offer some challenges, 6 metres i falls into a cheaper cost bracket on ferries etc, and between 6 and 7 is the minimum most people need for full timing.

This is my ignorance about larger vehicles showing I'm afraid, and I could do with a bit more info and opinion about it all.

I am of the opinion nearly new motorhome prices are going to be very buoyant over the next year. Manufacturers have been on lockdown so new stock will be low, the health risks of foreign package holidays mean many will look to motorhoming that hadn't considered it in the past. Now may prove to be the optimum time to buy when looking back a year from now

Fulltiming is very different than holiday use. You need clothes and shoes for all seasons, gadgets,tools, sports equipment, all sorts of things that you wouldn't take on a holiday. A proper tall garage is essential really and such a bonus if you have a valuable bike. If wilding a decent washroom space is high priority. If it's only you i doubt you will need to worry too much about payload.

A 6m motorhome is at least 1m longer than a car. I generally find if you can find a space for a 6m to park it is normally big enough for a 7m, most of it is rear overhang so you can back into shrubbery, over pavement etc and certainly no difference in driving the two lengths.

If using the bed above the driving seat in an A class you will find it a little strange as it is cocooned and quite high. The coachbuilt variant with the bed dropping all the way down to the lounge seats feels a little more natural. Both are comfortable and large. An A class will be 10 to 15k dearer than a coachbuilt in same brand/model type. Take a look at roller team Pegaso 590 va t-line 590 for example. I always think an A class is a nicety rather than an essential when looking for a van, often the money could be better spent elsewhere.

A generator is a last resort item. I make do with 180w of solar and a single leisure battery just fine but spend winters in spain.if you are a heavy user or plan to be more northerly in winter you will need more solar than that for wilding. You can get 12v chargers for laptops, razors, toothbrush etc so no real need for an inverter. Get a gas refillable system if planning to do Europe. Very easy to self fit and you will only need an 11kg bottle for your usage.

Regarding travel in Europe over winter you can split your 3 month limit with a trip to Morocco. So say 9 weeks driving south through France and Spain, then get ferry to Morocco for a month or so and then spend another 4 weeks driving north through Portugal to Bilbao before getting ferry back to UK. That way you avoid the worst of the British weather for 4 or 5 months

Thanks again Zedfour, that is really helpful info, and I will expand my search to look at 7 metre vans. I had already looked at the Bailiey 66-2 model with its large front lounge, but I was a bit put off by having to make up the bed from scratch, whereas with a drop down the mattress is ready, and the sheet can mostly stay on it. I'll take a look at the t590 as you suggest.

You are spot on about the A class thing. Coachbuilts seem to be just as functional as the A class vans, and I will be honest and confess that for me at least, I cant truly justify an extra 15k on an A class based on its features or functionality- it is pretty much a vanity purchase.

My thinking on it was that I would probably recoup 10k of that 15k overspend, because the A class would fetch a higher price when I came to sell it on, but in truth I've no idea if that is the case.

Just out of interest, I actually considered a narrowboat as an alternative (and more comfortable) mobile lifestyle, but I'm drawn to the extra travelling scope in a motorhome.

Hi Brian, and thanks very much for taking the time to flag all those issues. I had no idea there were benefits from a heavier chassis.

As a bit of an old codger of 57 I passed my test in the 80s, so I can drive some heavier vehicles, at least up till age 70 I think.

I've never owned a motorhome, and only driven these sized vehicles a handful of times, so I do understand that what I think I want now might completely change in the light of ownership and experience. I do feel pretty confident in saying that a large lounge and sense of space will always be my priority though, and I am ok sacrificing in other areas to get that- which is why I looked at the Bailey 66-2 models.

The question of getting a PVC has played on my mind for a long, long time, and I've gone back and forth on it. A couple of years ago I was in a relationship and the MH was going to be a part-time travel thing (so a PVC would have been great), but now that I'm single I'm thinking about going full time.

Given that I prioritise a sense of space in any living accommodation, and that I would be full time (mostly in the UK with poor weather etc), and that in the UK I can probably expect to be van-bound for the greater part of the day when the weather is rough, I eventually came down on the side of a MH.

I love the compactness of PVCs, the fact that many are easy to manage even in small spaces and congested roads, etc. I even love the fact that they are not as flimsy as coachbuilts. But having poked around quite a few in the last couple of years, I have nagging doubts about whether it would feel a bit claustrophobic over time.

One that did look spacious was a front lounge design (I think it was Devon/Aztec maybe), but there are so few of that layout on the market now- nearly all of them have rear lounges, and even in the 6.34m LWB version, they still felt a tad cramped compared to coachbuilts.

Its really hard to be sure until you've live din them for a few days, and I was pondering a MH hire this month but that became impossible, and I'm running out of vacation time as work becomes more demanding, with my various preparations for training/handing over to to the new person, and finishing some long standing projects before I leave in about 8 weeks.

I will have the full funds I think by mid-August, and will have made a final decision by then and visited all of the contenders, so fingers crossed I will be in a van by the end of August, but I may have to make the purchase based on planning and advice, rather than on experience, and I can only hope that doesnt come back to bite in future months.

Beds made from seating are truly uncomfortable. You would need to carry a thick memory foam mattress topper to make it bearable.

I seriously looked at the t590 last time I changed vans. In my opinion it doesn't have enough storage for full timing. In this instance there is an advantage to the A class variant which has lockers at head height in the lounge. The problem with low profile drop down beds is they have to do away with the lockers so that the bed can get as low to seating as possible. Some brands retain the head height lockers but the bed can only come down to chest height so you need a ladder.

As I mentioned before a longer van with a garage and big wardrobe over solves all these problems for a full timer.

Model that spring to mind are

Burstner 680g

Dethleffs t6767

Chausson 610,630,640,650

The higher model chaussons have parallel seating which really does make a motorhome feel roomier however read on for a trick to change any van. I bet the bailey doesn't have a fixed table? Many vans have overly large tables which double as a second bed base. If it is only you first thing I would do is take out the table. This will make any van feel much roomier. You can put back in a small swivel table or just get a padded lap tray for eating

As others have mentioned go German if you can. All the manufacturers use same materials and ovens,fridges etc to get under the 3500kg weight limit but the Germans just seem to bolt theirs together better than the rest.

I think you will be able to find a one or two year old van to suit you sub £50k, probably will all the extras you need.

Thanks again Zedfour, I'll check out those suggestions and the likely prices today.

I did notice that my earlier favourite the Bailey 66-2 doesnt have a decent garage, and that is a real problem.

I'm ok with a slightly uncomfortable bed, but I recall my ex dismissed all of those cushion- based types out of hand, because she had some back problems from a very old injury. For me, with a mattress topper as you suggest, those beds would be fine.

Hopefully I can draw up a shortlist of preferred models over the next 8 weeks, and look for any examples that come up for sale.

Thankfully the dealerships will be (sort of) fully open not long before I'm looking to make a purchase in August.

TonyC123 - 2020-05-29 6:48 PM

The one thing that slightly niggles at me is the worry that living full time in a motorhome, partly on CLs, partly wilding, and partly in Europe- is not very conducive to finding a partner.

TonyC123 - 2020-05-30 10:05 AM

Just out of interest, I actually considered a narrowboat as an alternative (and more comfortable) mobile lifestyle, but I'm drawn to the extra travelling scope in a motorhome.

I’d suggest that you perhaps carefully revaluate your motivations and in particular the weightings you would attach to them.

If foreign travel and adventure is high on the list than undoubtedly a motorhome scores highly. However given the distance a motorhome can travel and the frequency with which you’re likely to move on, if finding a partner is high on your list, unless you intend to put down motorhome roots in one place for a few months I suspect that you’re unlikely to see the same person twice or even have time to form a close friendship with someone.

If finding a partner has a greater weighting then I’d advocate the narrow boat. There’s a significant community of live aboard narrow boaters on British waterways, you’re likely to repeatedly come across familiar faces and when all is said and done, narrow boats have a romance and back to nature association that a motorhome does not. Inviting someone to see your narrow boat moored quietly to the river bank strikes me as a much more attractive proposition that an invitation to visit your motorhome as it sits on a campsite, layby or Aire.

One forum-member ("htrevor") has been full-timing for a while in a relatively small Fiat Ducato-based German-built Westfalia panel-van conversion and might be able to comment on the pros and cons.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/search/query.asp?action=search&searchforumid=all&keywords=&author=Htrevor&days=&Submit=Search

(I don't recall the matter of potential 'romantic interludes' being explored in forum discussions relating to Trevor's experiences.)

Thanks Bruce, there is a lot of sense in this, and to be honest I have alternated between favouring one or other of these two lifestyle choices a few times since I became single and started to firm up my retirement plans.

As you can imagine, its a really difficult decision. I suspect that travelling solo might not be quite so much fun as travelling with a friend or partner. It would still be interesting of course, but maybe lacking a bit of the human interaction, sharing of the experiences, etc.

At this point, I feel I want to do some extended travelling more urgently than I want to go looking for a partner, and that's why I am planning to go full time in a motorhome, at least for a few years. It may well be that I change to a boat at some point- or I may be bitten by the 'nomad' bug' and stay in the motorhome.

If I was that keen on finding a relationship, and I was being totally logical about it, I would pursue some sort of organised 'woman hunt' as a first step, with the idea of finding someone open to a mobile lifestyle.

But its impossible to say when or if such a person might come along- I could spend 5 years looking and still not find someone who was compatible with me, let alone with the idea of extended travelling.

So I'm thinking why not just get on with it, accept that full time MH'ing will almost certainly reduce or remove the prospect of a relationship, and enjoy some time solo travelling.

Its not an easy choice, and it even feels a bit selfish to be honest, but I think the way I'm looking at the future now, a MH seems like a good idea. I think a NB might well lie ahead, but maybe not for a few years

Guest pelmetman
TonyC123 - 2020-05-29 1:24 PM

Hi all

I must apologise if this has been asked recently but I've not been able to find it, so here goes:

I'm retiring in August and for the last few years I've been pondering trying out a more mobile lifestyle, very likely full time in a motorhome, splitting the time between wild camping, CLs, and going abroad.

One of the issues affecting my thinking on motorhomes is the coming ban on new vehicle sales (with internal combustion engines) in 15 years from now, and the total ban of all private IC engined vehicles in (I think ) 2050.

There seems to be a climate of increasingly discouraging IC vehicle ownership, with congestion or emission charges for entering many cities, plus the big tax increase in 2019. I'm worried the next step will be more tax on fuel itself in the next decade, making motorhome ownership more expensive as we approach 2035 when new diesel/petrol vehicles will be banned, and we will be looking to alternative engine types.

So with all that said, I would really apppreciate the thoughts of experienced and knowledgeable motorhome owners about the long term future of motorhomes, and in particular whether it is still worthwhile spending say 40k on a used motorhome- or say 60k on a new one?

Are they likely to depreciate greatly in the next 15 years, or could scarcity mean you could still sell one in 2035 and get some of your 40k or 60k back?

Will fuel tax make it too expensive to travel any real distance, making them less saleable?

Obviously a lot of this is informed guesswork, opinion and predictions, but thanks in advance for any thoughts. opinions or ideas you might have.

Well you did say... Hi All :D .......

We've just spent 4 years living fulltime in a camper that is 30 years old this year......although to be fair we have owned it for 28+ of those years ;-) ..............

I wouldn't waste 60k, 50k, or even 40k on a camper seeing as you're a virgin ;-) ........

I'd spend 20k max......10k if you can find a bargain B-) .......

Thanks Pelmetman, if I'm honest I think I have had a touch of motorhome buyer's fever, where you straight away start looking at all the nice shiny vans at top end of your budget, and dont take time to consider the cheaper options that might do a good job.

I'm not sure I'm going to go down to 10k at the moment, but I will definitely take a look at some lower price vans before I make a final decision.

One of the things I was a bit worried about was buying a old van and then having to fork out a thousand or more each year for repairs, and maybe after 10 years I'd have spent the purchase price over again on the repairs.

I've no idea if they really are that unreliable, or expensive to repair, but there must be a sweet spot where you can pick up a still-reliable van but make a big saving on the new and nearly new prices.

I'll take a look at some cheaper options and see what I can get for 20k or 30k, but the motorhome buyers fever is a difficult thing to shake off, especially once you start looking at those lovely German vans!

Guest pelmetman
TonyC123 - 2020-05-30 5:07 PM

Thanks Pelmetman, if I'm honest I think I have had a touch of motorhome buyer's fever, where you straight away start looking at all the nice shiny vans at top end of your budget, and dont take time to consider the cheaper options that might do a good job.

I'm not sure I'm going to go down to 10k at the moment, but I will definitely take a look at some lower price vans before I make a final decision.

One of the things I was a bit worried about was buying a old van and then having to fork out a thousand or more each year for repairs, and maybe after 10 years I'd have spent the purchase price over again on the repairs.

I've no idea if they really are that unreliable, or expensive to repair, but there must be a sweet spot where you can pick up a still-reliable van but make a big saving on the new and nearly new prices.

I'll take a look at some cheaper options and see what I can get for 20k or 30k, but the motorhome buyers fever is a difficult thing to shake off, especially once you start looking at those lovely German vans!

The only vans that cost £1000's to repair mechanically are newer vans 8-) .........

Older vans can cost £1000's to repair the rust ;-) ........

Which is why a well looked after few owner older van is worth far more consideration, than a 5 year old multi owner nightmare 8-) ........

Admittedly they're as rare as hens teeth in the 10k+ range :-| .......

But 20k+ there are plenty out there B-) .......

If I were you, I'd be searching for a Autosleeper legend ;-) .......

It's not much of a Fanny attraction Wagon......But it was one of the best Autosleepers produced before they let the accountants take control in my view :-| .........

Hi Tony

Wildax Solaris XL, PVC on the long wheelbase Ducato.

Being single this may be an option if you are OK with a narrow bunk bed, (x2, one above the other, both over 6ft long.

Width 2.05m, so saving 300mm against a coachbuilt or A class, 6.36m long, fitted 30l gas tank,

There's a review in the current (July) MMM.

One point to remember whilst considering A class models, is the windscreen, they are often long delivery if a replacement is required, not ideal when full timing & also need to ensure your insurance cover the full high cost.

TonyC123 - 2020-05-30 11:00 AM...…………. For me, with a mattress topper as you suggest, those beds would be fine. ………...

But don't forget that if the mattress topper is to be used to render seats converted to beds - you'll need adequate storage for the mattress topper!

Re PVCs, I wasn't advocating them, simply pointing out that despite being compact, they are viable for longer trips. Although, having said that, I don't think I'd want to live in one in winter.

You have referred to use in Europe. It has been mentioned above, but it might be worth looking at how long you will actually be able to spend, and when, in the EU/Schengen zone post Brexit. As stated above, you will be limited to 90 days in any 180 day period, with both the 90 days, and the 180 days, commencing from the date you first enter the Schengen zone.

When you leave, you must remain outside the Schengen areas for 90 days before the clock is re-set and you become entitled to a new 90 days in 180 days period.

If you re-enter Schengen before the expiry of the original 180 days, you are only entitled to remain for the residue of the original 90 days. You will not then trigger a further 90/180 days slot until you have then been out of the Schengen zone for 90 days from the date of your last exit from Schengen.

That necessity to remain out of Schengen for 90 days between trips (for example so as to avoid the peak summer season), in order to re-set the clock, makes planning two long trips a year in (hopefully!) fine weather, very tricky. But, if you're into winter sports, or want to spend a chunk of the winter in the south, you should be fine.

Tony,

I see you've had more than a few suggestions and comments so far but I'll add a couple of my thoughts...

Bed style, why not look at a fixed bed model (rather than drop down) as you can leave the bed made up ready and the space underneath is normally all storage. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes from transverse (some with a high bed and garage underneath), island or french bed.

Base vehicle, look and more importantly DRIVE, a range of base vehicles. eg Fiat (both Light and Heavy chassis as suggested earlier), Ford (FWD and RWD), Mercedes or possibly even VW (for PVC's). Some people prefer one make over another or detest the driving position in a particular model.

Keith.

Hi Keith, and thanks for giving your thoughts on these queries.

I discounted the idea of a fixed bed early on, and I should explain why.

One of my big preferences is for the maximum possible lounge/living space (and that will have to be a front lounge, so as to take advantage of the extra light and the sense of space that is provided by the windscreen).

My second priority was for the van to be as short as possible but still allow full time living, so that I could take it anywhere and not miss out on parking places, pass by interesting villages because the parking looked too tricky, or there tiny streets, etc.

And to be brutally honest, also because I'm a bit chicken- driving long vehicles stresses me. I know it shouldn't, but it sort of is what it is, and after all I'm doing this partly to relax and to enjoy myself, so if I can avoid a stress issue I might as well do that.

So with those two priorities at the top (large front lounge and no longer than 7 metres) I effectively ruled out the idea of fixed bed.

All of the 7 metre vans I've seen so far with rear beds had lounges that felt too cramped, and I thought that if there had to be a compromise, it would be the fixed bed that had to go.

You know, I've been so focused on the habitation features that I hadn't even thought to actually drive them- I think I was just assuming they were all slow, cumbersome and tricky to handle, so why bother. But I'll make sure to get my shortlist vehicles out on the rod, especially if I go used.

Thanks for that Hallii, I do think some form of group or social media will have to be they way to go in the end, but to be honest I'm putting relationships to the back of my mind for a while yet.

That one looks like a female MHs group, so I suppose if I got really desperate I could put on my best Leslie Phillips voice, introduce myself, and announce my nefarious intentions to the group at large.

Yes, that'll do it!

Hi Flicka, thanks for those suggestions.

I checked them out and to be honest the Wildax Constellation could fit the bill as full timing vehicle, but the prices are getting close to A class territory.

I think if I were considering spending 55k on a PVC, however good, I might as well spend an extra 5k and get an Itineo FC650.

I probably wont go that high to be honest, but if I did go for it, then as somebody commented earlier, with 50 or 60k invested in a vehicle, I am going to need the best insurance policy I've ever had in my life.

Guest pelmetman
TonyC123 - 2020-05-30 6:55 PM

Thanks for that Hallii, I do think some form of group or social media will have to be they way to go in the end, but to be honest I'm putting relationships to the back of my mind for a while yet.

That one looks like a female MHs group, so I suppose if I got really desperate I could put on my best Leslie Phillips voice, introduce myself, and announce my nefarious intentions to the group at large.

Yes, that'll do it!

When I met my current Mrs 40 odd years ;-) .......

My chat up line in the disco was......"I'm off women" :D ......

Guest pelmetman
TonyC123 - 2020-05-30 7:06 PM

I probably wont go that high to be honest, but if I did go for it, then as somebody commented earlier, with 50 or 60k invested in a vehicle, I am going to need the best insurance policy I've ever had in my life.

Or you could spend 20K and have 40k of beer tokens :D .......

Plus at that price you'll get most or possibly even make a profit when you sell it, because you will know after a year or two what layout suits you, and whether you actually like fulltiming in a campervan ;-) .......

Thanks for that clarification Brian.

I think the new rules are going to call for some careful planning.

E.g. If I were to use the full 90 days allowance in a schengen country, then move on into say North Africa or Russia, I would be stuck if there was a crisis in the UK that I wanted to get back for, because I wouldn't be able to travel back through any schengen countries until the clock reset at 180 days.

I wonder if the prudent thing to do when taking a very long trip onward and past the EU would be to make sure you dont use the full 90 days. I.,e leave the schengen area 15 days early, so that if you need to get back to the UK you are allowed to reenter and pass through the EU countries to get home.

You could always fly of course, but then you're leaving 60 grand's worth of pride and joy in storage (and paying for it), in a country with uncertain legal remedies if anything goes wrong.

Archived