E.U. Travel restrictions.

johnfromnorfolk

pelmetman - 2020-08-01 6:23 PM

Deneb - 2020-08-01 5:45 PM

And don't forget that the Government of Spain recently sent a battleship into UK territorial waters around Gibraltar after we put them on a Covid blacklist, so they do also have other priorities not quite so amenable to our future fortunes ;-)

A Battleship???? :-S ..........

Does the Spanish Navy have any battleships? ;-) ........

More importantly :D ........

Do they really want to p*ss off a quarter of their tourrist income? 8-) ........

Whilst recovering from a Pandemic? >:-) ...........

Do they really want to p*ss off a quarter of their tourrist income?

We motorhomers provide a quarter of Spains tourist income?

Really Pelmetman, you obviously went to Dom. Cummings school of statistics.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
johnfromnorfolk - 2020-08-01 8:51 PM

And don't forget that the Government of Spain recently sent a battleship into UK territorial waters around Gibraltar after we put them on a Covid blacklist, so they do also have other priorities not quite so amenable to our future fortunes ;-)

Do they really want to p*ss off a quarter of their tourrist income? 8-) ........

When did "Tourists" only mean folk in Motorhomes? :-S .........

pelmetman - 2020-08-01 9:00 PM

Most tourists that go to Spain go for two weeks, Most tourists from everywhere go for two weeks. I know Spain has a fair few pensioners that like to go for a few months and a fair few motorhomers but I doubt they are on anyones radar. I wonder how much they put into the economy. Probably not that much judging by all the posts Ive seen about wilding on some scrappy bit of scrub land cheek to jowl and bargain Vino at a quid a litre or whatever.

Barryd999 - 2020-08-01 9:34 PM

. I wonder how much they put into the economy. Probably not that much judging by all the posts Ive seen about wilding on some scrappy bit of scrub land cheek to jowl and bargain Vino at a quid a litre or whatever.

When you stop and look it's only a small number of people who really benefit from Tourists to the majority of the population were just a nuisance cluttering up their towns beaches and roads. I've seen many vans arrive on site for the winter some with trailers loaded down with food and other essentials to last them for several weeks

pelmetman - 2020-08-01 9:00 PM

Unfortunately motorhomers by comparison contribute a minuscule amount of cash to the Spanish tourist economy compared to the two weekers who flock to the Costa's and Balearics.

When the Spanish start demolishing hotels and replacing them with campsites we will know the situation has changed.

Sadly Pelmetman, it appears that due to Brexit that you enthusiastic support, for you and many others, your days of full timing are coming to an end.

Someone recently said "We must be the only country in the world that has voted to restrict our ability to travel".

As they say,"There's nowt as strange as folk".

pelmetman - 2020-08-01 6:17 PM

Brian Kirby - 2020-08-01 11:54 AM

pelmetman - 2020-08-01 11:40 AM...………...

How many people on this forum actually spend more than 90 days abroad? ;-) .........

I do, and the fact that we will have to travel back for Christmas, instead of doing it out of choice is not much of a consequence in my book B-) ..........

We do, or at least we have up until now. But how will you fit in your 90 days, before Christmas, after Christmas, or either side of Christmas?

We plan to do a week at SIL gite to start our 180 days.....then return home for Crimbo as we have done for years except last Christmas ;-) .......

Then return to Brexit On Sea B-) ..................

But, how long in total? 90 days?

pelmetman - 2020-08-01 6:17 PM

We plan to do a week at SIL gite to start our 180 days.....then return home for Crimbo as we have done for years except last Christmas ;-) .......

Then return to Brexit On Sea B-) .........

Dave,

Two problems here, first there is no such thing as 'start our 180 days', it is a continually rolling period of 180 days. And second, the 'new' rules will only apply after 01/01/2021 so Christmas 2020 is before this date and will have no bearing on how long you can stay after 01/01/2021.

If you returned to Spain on 01/01/2021 you would have to return to the UK by 31/03/2021 and then not be able to go back until at least the beginning of July 2021.

Keith.

Fifo - 2020-08-01 6:40 PM

Brian Kirby - 2020-08-01 6:09 PM

Yes, but the decision does not lie with the Spanish government. Spain is in the EU, and also in Schengen, so will have to agree with both entities, and so the member states of each, what they will accept.

Spain already has the right, as I understand it, to issue visas for longer stays, but it will probably require the agreement of the other EU/Schengen states if Spain wants to change the rules by which it issues those visas, and wants its new visas to be accepted by those other states. .

That's the snag. We could already, for a modest sum, get a visa to enable us to stay in a Schengen country for the purposes of education, business, to work and for a few other reasons. Not one of those reasons includes having a long holiday there. What I would like to think is happening is that this " long holiday " visa is going to be included. If others who are interested, as I asked earlier, would write to the relevant authority and remind them of the need perhaps something might happen ?

Looks otherwise like I might have to get a job or enrol for a post-doctoral degree or something. What I would not do to avoid a UK winter ! :-> (lol)

The longest we have been in Schengen in any 180 day period is 150 days. The easiest fix would probably be to introduce an extension to the 90 days Schengen visa for people from designated countries (possibly those countries whose nationals do not need an actual visa, possibly against evidence of previous trouble free entries as for the multiple entry visas). Ideally, allowing 180 days in any 360 day period! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2020-08-02 11:20 AM

Yes, but the decision does not lie with the Spanish government. Spain is in the EU, and also in Schengen, so will have to agree with both entities, and so the member states of each, what they will accept.

Spain already has the right, as I understand it, to issue visas for longer stays, but it will probably require the agreement of the other EU/Schengen states if Spain wants to change the rules by which it issues those visas, and wants its new visas to be accepted by those other states. .

That's the snag. We could already, for a modest sum, get a visa to enable us to stay in a Schengen country for the purposes of education, business, to work and for a few other reasons. Not one of those reasons includes having a long holiday there. What I would like to think is happening is that this " long holiday " visa is going to be included. If others who are interested, as I asked earlier, would write to the relevant authority and remind them of the need perhaps something might happen ?

Looks otherwise like I might have to get a job or enrol for a post-doctoral degree or something. What I would not do to avoid a UK winter ! :-> (lol)

The longest we have been in Schengen in any 180 day period is 150 days. The easiest fix would probably be to introduce an extension to the 90 days Schengen visa for people from designated countries (possibly those countries whose nationals do not need an actual visa, possibly against evidence of previous trouble free entries as for the multiple entry visas). Ideally, allowing 180 days in any 360 day period! :-D

That would suit me but I only foresee one problem. Nobody cares except us. A few hundred, maybe a few thousand motorhomers who like to meander like nomads from Aire to Aire or sit on the Costa del Ingleeesh Breakfast waiting for a bit of milky warm winter sunshine will be on nobody's radar as they try and struggle with the millions of real issues Brexit will have bestowed upon us and the rest of Europe.

Barryd999 - 2020-08-02 11:28 AM

That would suit me but I only foresee one problem. Nobody cares except us. A few hundred, maybe a few thousand motorhomers who like to meander like nomads from Aire to Aire or sit on the Costa del Ingleeesh Breakfast waiting for a bit of milky warm winter sunshine will be on nobody's radar as they try and struggle with the millions of real issues Brexit will have bestowed upon us and the rest of Europe.

The EU clearly care, hence the introduction of ETIAS as a measure to secure their borders and improve management of entry by other nationals.

And with that in mind, I quite agree with you. We voluntarily decided to remove ourselves from the EU, so we will be treated the same as any other non EU country. "We" apparently wanted to take back control of our own borders, but seem put out that other countries have the same right to control theirs. Why would they be minded to make a small number of UK tourists, or even the UK as a whole, a special case? What would prevent other non-EU countries from then also demanding similar treatment.

"We" voted for this, so why do people seem surprised?

Deneb - 2020-08-02 12:47 PM

The EU clearly care, hence the introduction of ETIAS as a measure to secure their borders and improve management of entry by other nationals.

And with that in mind, I quite agree with you. We voluntarily decided to remove ourselves from the EU, so we will be treated the same as any other non EU country. "We" apparently wanted to take back control of our own borders, but seem put out that other countries have the same right to control theirs. Why would they be minded to make a small number of UK tourists, or even the UK as a whole, a special case? What would prevent other non-EU countries from then also demanding similar treatment.

"We" voted for this, so why do people seem surprised?

Oh I agree entirely. I think it would be English (not British) exceptionalism that assumed none of the third country rules would apply to us. back in 2016 I remember most motorhomers by a large margin being pro Brexit on all the forums and they all said it was just project fear and would not apply to us. They dont seem to be saying that now though.

That 180/360 day suggestion was just a bit of wishful thinking - with tongue firmly in cheek! :-D I agree with both of you, fat chance - unless uncle Guy pulls a rabbit out of his hat. After all, nearly half the votes were remain, and about 13 million didn't vote. Courage, mes braves! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2020-08-03 7:21 AM

That 180/360 day suggestion was just a bit of wishful thinking - with tongue firmly in cheek! :-D I agree with both of you, fat chance - unless uncle Guy pulls a rabbit out of his hat. After all, nearly half the votes were remain, and about 13 million didn't vote. Courage, mes braves! :-D

I sometimes wonder what planet some folk are on Brian.

Picture the scene.

A couple of years ago, my wife and I motorhoming on the island of Corsica.

We struck up a conversation with an English ardent Brexiter and his boat in a harbor..

He was sailing to Greece having spent several months negotiating his way to Corsica.

I mentioned the restrictions that we would be facing after Brexit.

"Look" he said gesturing to the other boats in the harbor.

"They are going to want us here, they will kick off if we're not allowed to come".

He was actually the only Brit in a harbor full of boats from France, Germany etc, etc.

He freely admitted that the most he had spent was a beer in a bar in the harbor.

"We will be able to do all our visa renewals online".

I wonder what he's thinking now.

johnfromnorfolk - 2020-08-03 11:44 AM

I sometimes wonder what planet some folk are on Brian.

Picture the scene.

A couple of years ago, my wife and I motorhoming on the island of Corsica.

We struck up a conversation with an English ardent Brexiter and his boat in a harbor..

He was sailing to Greece having spent several months negotiating his way to Corsica.

I mentioned the restrictions that we would be facing after Brexit.

"Look" he said gesturing to the other boats in the harbor.

"They are going to want us here, they will kick off if we're not allowed to come".

He was actually the only Brit in a harbor full of boats from France, Germany etc, etc.

He freely admitted that the most he had spent was a beer in a bar in the harbor.

"We will be able to do all our visa renewals online".

I wonder what he's thinking now.

And if things don't pan out the way that guy wants it will be "the fault of these EU bullies!" :-D :-D :-D

The following link is to a list of forum threads that mention “Schengen”.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/search/query.asp?action=search&searchforumid=all&keywords=schengen&author=&days=&Submit=Search

Surely this topic (and bleeding Brexit) has been sufficiently mauled over by now without it being repeatedly revisited and the same tedious political ‘observations’ being trotted out?

If a Schengen and/or Brexit discussion starts up on Motorhome Matters in future, unless it’s very plain that there is a clear link to motor-caravanning, I’ll move the thread to the Chatterbox forum.

Archived